Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1408 times)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Coronavirus
« on: March 12, 2020, 12:04:45 PM »
The same math that makes our investments a good idea (compound growth) also makes the pandemic grow... only with a much sharper growth curve. Things are going to look pretty different for the next year both with the direct medical issues associated with infection and what are likely to be significant mortality impacts to the boomer generation. The knock on logistical and economic effects will also be significant.

The crisis is sobering and should be taken seriously by following best practices for hygiene, social distancing, and caring for friends, family, and neighbors. I also personally feel fortunate that given a few years of mustiachian practices under my belt, I have the financial situation that even if I lost most of my income for the next 6 to 9 months, I would not lose my house, or have other catastrophic economic problems. Many others who are in younger age groups on this forum are also in similar situations where it will be inconvenient, the economic effects may shift a FIRE date, or other non-catastropic effects. By the end of this pretty much all of us will know someone who has either passed, or had a massive setback in life due to the pandemic.

As we move through this, remember to remain grateful for the good position many of us find ourselves in (FU money, in a manner of speaking) and leverage that to help those around you. Go to the store for neighbors who may need to self-quarantine. Look out for the elderly. Be a good citizen.

Wash your hands (again)!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 12:28:01 PM »
A good post @Glenstache. I work in emergency response, and I'm gratified that the government is taking steps. There's a time and place for the optimism gun, but also tie up your camel. Or, in this case, wash your hands.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
Re: Coronavirus
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:06:07 PM »
A good post @Glenstache. I work in emergency response, and I'm gratified that the government is taking steps. There's a time and place for the optimism gun, but also tie up your camel. Or, in this case, wash your hands.
Or in the case of Washington as of today, stay at home, and keep washing your hands.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!