Author Topic: Climate change mitigation strategies  (Read 16402 times)

HSBW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Climate change mitigation strategies
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2021, 01:28:30 PM »
I don't.  I keep meaning to log Idaho Power's energy mix over the long term, but I haven't gotten around to sucking that in.  There's a lot of coal in the winter nights, though.  It's heavily hydro in the spring, lots of wind, but we're coal heavy in the fall and winter in the mix.

I did some looking and found the site below from the EIA:

https://www.eia.gov/electricity/gridmonitor/dashboard/electric_overview/US48/US48

It looks like NG is around 50% of the NYS grid now that they shut down Indian Point (it was ~35% prior to that) but there is no remaining coal at least. I don't think the numbers there are perfectly accurate as there is no solar listed for NY and I know there is at least some capacity.

Assuming you're on the IPCO grid you may be pleasantly surprised at the low level of coal. Looks like it's mostly still hydro, wind, and NG even in the fall and winter (at least that's what it looks like to me bouncing around to look at different weeks in the historical data.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2021, 02:00:42 PM »
Interesting, concept. In terms of the nuts and bolts its basically just a well insulated home with solar panels right?

What does a solar array cost that can generate 1000 kilowatt hours a month? Ok some quick googling here, making some big assumptions. Feel free to disagree or quote better sources.

Average house is ~1000 kw a month
That requires a 25kw solar system.
That costs ~25k just for the panels themselves. https://sunwatts.com/25-kw-solar-kits/
Maybe about 5-10k for the install?
Another 5-10k in upgraded insulation, windows and doors?

So you are looking at nearly 40k MORE for a net zero house? Maybe I am off on how the achieve the result but the low hanging fruit for energy efficient has mostly been put into the code years ago. I mean if you think hat is a good use of your dollars I absolutely think you should do that. I myself really want to go solar, probably will in the not too distant future than the EV would be next.

I just don't understand how we can add 40k to the cost of a house and scream about the affordability crisis. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that we should do nothing, I am just saying there are tradeoffs. I mean we could build a ton of solar/wind plants for 40k a house right? Basically if we are thinking in the macro/aggregate sense here having extremely dispersed solar generation is an inefficient way to do things?

Final disclaimer, I know nothing about how they build houses in CA, but I gotta image there are more expensive then hose they build them in most of the rest of the country due to fires/earthquakes etc.

Here's a link to Denver's plan.  There's a link to a detailed PDF within that webpage.

https://www.denvergov.org/Government/Departments/Climate-Action-Sustainability-Resiliency/News-Events/News/2021/Denver-Releases-Net-Zero-Energy-New-Buildings-and-Homes-Implementation-Plan#:~:text=Denver%20plans%20to%20achieve%20net%20zero%20energy%20in,critical%20component%20to%20addressing%20climate%20change%20in%20Denver.

From my understanding, there's a lot of moving and interacting pieces.  For example, there's decent cost savings on not having to run a gas line.  And now that heat pumps are feasible in our climate, I believe it's cheaper to build in a single heat pump than to include both a furnace and AC (even though most contractors don't know how to install them yet).  Also, when there's a "net-zero" requirement, it becomes a lot cheaper for builders to include highly efficient water heaters and other appliances instead of paying to add more solar panels.  Total usage should be lower.

I'm looking at full-offset solar panels on my house (which is large at 3,400sqft), and we'd need a ~12kW system.  This admittedly excludes our gas usage for the furnace and water heater, but I think your 25kW number is a bit high.

For the sake of argument, I'll use your $40K number as a total cost.  Our electricity rates here are currently 0.13/kWh (although likely to increase by 15-20% in the near future).  For your 1,000kWh/mo house, that's $1,560/yr.  Increasing the cost of the house by $40K, but saving $1,560/yr equates to a 3.9% return to the homeowner.  While that's not as good as the stock market, it's not bad either.  Particularly when energy price inflation is taken into account.

This is something I've read up on a bit, but I don't pretend to be an expert on.  Please correct me if I am missing something.

Yeah the no gas line thing for sure would be some savings, no idea how much. Like most things when you do an entire neighborhood at once the per unit cost is pretty reasonable.

So we just put in a heat pump for our addition, mainly for ease install. So I will let you know how it goes. However my buddy down the street who has one of those "all electric houses" from the 70's had $800 electric bills over the winter. Heat pumps are awesome, until they are not. Granted it was likely old equipment but at some point that emergency heat comes on and it sucks watts like crazy. I will let you know how this winter goes with a new efficient unit!

Yes high efficiency appliances are a thing, but again I think they have been a thing for years. Can you even buy contractor grade stuff that is not energy star rated? I guess my point is the gains are going to be rather small there.

Whatever the return is a house is still 40k more expensive (or 30, or 50) which is hard for lots of people who are not on this forum :)
I don't see how increasing the price of a house by that much during a time when young folks are increasingly finding the house ladder out of reach. Even more so in places such as CA and CO.

Re: Math. This system will not last forever. Panels must be replaced. So if you have a 25k solar system over 30 years at a 5% discount rate that only returns $24,000. Maybe I am over sizing the system but the return is poor at best and expensive for someone who is stretching to purchase their first home.

As you can tell I would much prefer to build some massive solar/wind plants then to monkey around with the building code for returns that may or may not even be there IMO/IME. I would love for someone to disprove my math, and show me why this works but it really feels like local politicians doing something that looks good on paper and has massive externalities that they conveniently ignore.

Fair enough.  I do get the price argument.  When I think about the broader climate change issue, I actually see the building code as the cheapest place to make big changes.  I see the cost to get a house to net zero as mostly a rounding error when you're looking at new construction.  I would say it even works out to a minor net savings when you factor in lower operating costs.  But it's a pretty massive cost when you're talking about retrofitting.

Also, I dug through the cities estimates.  It's worth flipping through, as they have some good cost estimate details in there.  Their studies estimate that an all-electric construction would save about $27.5K for a single family home.  I can buy that when you're including the costs of trenching and running new gas lines through a neighborhood.  So if you're saving $27K in costs, but adding $40K in panels (I do think that estimate is high by $5-$10K, but I haven't researched in detail), it's pretty minor compared to the cost of new construction here.

The things that have to happen to mitigate climate change in other sectors are massive in comparison.  Getting to net zero in manufacturing, aviation, steel, cement etc. ranges from massively expensive to technically impossible with today's technology.  There are plenty of startups working on technologies in these fields, but the technology is nascent and massively expensive.

Most of my frame of reference comes from Bill Gates climate change book and the IPCC summary for lawmakers.  I found the book to be a good combination of what has to happen, what is realistic, and what technologies are available.  He also makes some great points about what problems wind and solar can solve, and which problems they can't solve.

I realize I should probably broaden my reading on the topic, and am very much looking for recommendations.

Yes for sure if you can go net zero for 13k on new construction that is a screaming deal and should be done yesterday, and it would have be done yesterday I guess is my point? If a house was generation = usage and it only cost 13k, don't you think developers would be advertising it for 15k and making an extra 2k per house?

I have some experience in building. If a house could be built for 27k less it would already be done. My guess is that they are counting the estimated savings kind of like when you buy a Telsa and its "total cost of ownership" which is not apples to apples.

Sure not running gas lines in the house has some savings, but you still have to run an electrical line instead. I think there would be some savings but you just cant drop gas and design the house the same. Not trying to go after you specially of course, just when I see "savings" put forth in a political document I think to get a little suspicious.

Mainly I am very curious as to how they would make this happen. Either they are completely overstating the savings, or I am missing something. Probably a bit of both.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2021, 02:05:36 PM »
I am not exactly sure what "net zero" means but as with anything you quickly run into diminishing returns.

In general, "net zero" means that over the course of a year, you produce as much energy as you consume.  It does not mean you produce it when you consume it, or it would be an off-grid system or Passivhaus or such.  So, on sunny spring/fall days, you produce a ton during the day and use very little, in the summer you produce a ton and use a ton, and then "bank" that sort of thing for the winter, when you typically won't produce much and will use a ton.

How this works with the greater power grid in more than "There are a few of you..." has yet to be determined, because we don't have energy storage systems that can bank a summer surplus and release it in the winter, at least not in any sort of even faintly cost effective way.  It also tends to imply a fully electric house, which is fine... though in a colder climate, you probably need a ground source heat pump to be of any use regarding heating.  NG peaker -> power grid -> air source heat pump in the cold is rather higher emissions than just burning NG directly for heat in a furnace (as your coefficient of performance heads down towards one).  Typically, overnight heating is the hardest part for heat pumps, because it's cold, and there's no solar to be feeding in.

One can gain a lot when aiming for "net zero" by doing things like designing for passive solar gain as well, but that then requires siting houses with the good exposure facing south (or north), vs "Whatever happens to fit the subdivision plan we just laid out on the farm field."  Solar gain also tends to require open spaces between houses, not the standard "As big as possible, lotline to lotline, reach out and shake your neighbor's hand" style construction that is popular.t

Average house is ~1000 kw a month
That requires a 25kw solar system.

Are you in northern Alaska or something?

I'm on a 15.9kW system, not aimed optimally for production (I generate more power in the mornings and evenings when I use it at the cost of total annual mid-day production), and so far in 2021, I've generated 18.5MWh - which is far in excess of the 12MWh/yr that you're using as an estimate.  I'll probably be around 20-21MWh this year.  A 10kW peak system should generate your estimated needs, if not a bit smaller.

You can install that yourself for about $15k before incentives, so the actual cost to a homebuilder should be under $20k.  Though, with the 5000 sq ft monstrosities that pass for new homes these days, you'd have to be a good bit larger.

So we just put in a heat pump for our addition, mainly for ease install. So I will let you know how it goes. However my buddy down the street who has one of those "all electric houses" from the 70's had $800 electric bills over the winter. Heat pumps are awesome, until they are not. Granted it was likely old equipment but at some point that emergency heat comes on and it sucks watts like crazy. I will let you know how this winter goes with a new efficient unit!

Older heat pumps tended to fall down to a COP of around 1 at 32-40F.  Newer ones hold that down far lower, into the -20F range.  They're radically improved, and the newer inverter drive stuff improves efficiency as well, because it's not just banging on and off.  A multi-head mini split system can also reduce use, because you only heat where people are.  But don't assume that 50 year old heat pumps in any way resemble current performance.

Yes high efficiency appliances are a thing, but again I think they have been a thing for years. Can you even buy contractor grade stuff that is not energy star rated? I guess my point is the gains are going to be rather small there.

I'm not aware of much new construction using heat pump water heaters, and those are massive gains over the standard resistive type heat pumps.  If you've got a "hot attic" design anywhere, you can duct that space to the heat pump and have very minimal energy use for a lot of the year.  Or, you can design solar thermal collectors in as well - a lot of systems will have two tanks, with one serving as the preheat tank, and the second one just keeping it warm (or making up the difference in the winter).

As you can tell I would much prefer to build some massive solar/wind plants then to monkey around with the building code for returns that may or may not even be there IMO/IME. I would love for someone to disprove my math, and show me why this works but it really feels like local politicians doing something that looks good on paper and has massive externalities that they conveniently ignore.

... well, I'm with you there.  So won't attempt to disprove it.  Just use legitimate values for solar install costs during construction.

As for leaf blowers and such, they simply don't matter from a climate change perspective.  You're free to argue against them, but if you're going to talk about their emissions from a GHG perspective, you're concerned about CO2, and they simply don't emit that much of it because they don't burn much fuel.  It's absolutely deceptive to compare various other side emissions and then claim that those percentages mean that they're a huge GHG problem.  They're not, and replacing them with batteries that are infrequently used may very well be worse for GHG emissions, given the processing needed for batteries that won't be used terribly much (as compared to those cells going into transportation).

Yup lots of good points, not really disputing anything. I think he crux of my argument is that legislating expensive efficient housing upgrades with questionable returns is not the best way to go about this.

I could be wrong as I am just a guy on the internet.

I do understand the cost of upgrades so I have a hard time with the potential savings. But for sure want to learn more about solar. Maybe call me solar curious. Is it super forward to knock on my neighbors door and ask him/her about her panels?!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2021, 02:36:54 PM »
I think he crux of my argument is that legislating expensive efficient housing upgrades with questionable returns is not the best way to go about this.

The problem I have is that the two things (reducing housing energy use and renewable generation) just aren't always the best things to slam together.

I would rather see a small, energy efficient home, with good trees around it for shade, and the panels somewhere else.  This sort of "net zero housing" thing encourages treeless subdivisions with huge houses, filled with solar panels.  Not really encouraging the right things, IMO.

But for sure want to learn more about solar. Maybe call me solar curious. Is it super forward to knock on my neighbors door and ask him/her about her panels?!

They're likely to tell you that they're saving the planet, have no idea how badly they got screwed on the install, and offer you a referral...

You can do your own solar (ground or roof, doesn't matter, the per panel electronics and the mount costs are about the same) for $1.50/W if you're willing to do the work and put in the labor.  You can get a good installer to do it for about $2.50/W in most areas, if such an installer exists (they often don't).  Most places, most installers will charge $4+, have glossy sheets explaining how much you'll "save" with their assumptions, and make you feel really good while they just ream you for the install costs.  IMO.  Very, very few of those high price systems will make any real sense long term.  However, if you want to double your cost, you can get a battery installed, which will give you a few additional capabilities.  A mere $80k, really a bargain, you see!

(no, I don't particularly like solar install companies, why?)

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2021, 05:30:49 PM »

I do understand the cost of upgrades so I have a hard time with the potential savings. But for sure want to learn more about solar. Maybe call me solar curious. Is it super forward to knock on my neighbors door and ask him/her about her panels?!

I would say that it's worth looking into.  The financial returns vary heavily based on which state you're in.  In some places (CA), it's a no brainer.  CO is moving from it being an "okay" deal to being a great deal.  I'm less familiar with other states.

My only recent data point is my FIL in Colorado.  He got three quotes, but didn't go with the cheapest one.  His 5.1kW system should theoretically offset his entire electric usage.  The gross cost was $27K, but will be a net of $19.5K after the 26% federal tax credit. 

He did finance the system at 1.9%, and his monthly loan payments are a couple dollars lower than his utility bills would have been. 

I'm not doing it for the time being, as my roof only has a few years left on it.  I will be adding solar when the roof is replaced.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2021, 05:59:38 PM »

In general, "net zero" means that over the course of a year, you produce as much energy as you consume.  It does not mean you produce it when you consume it, or it would be an off-grid system or Passivhaus or such.  So, on sunny spring/fall days, you produce a ton during the day and use very little, in the summer you produce a ton and use a ton, and then "bank" that sort of thing for the winter, when you typically won't produce much and will use a ton.

Your rationality is showing :-)

We use (comparatively) next to no power in the summer - no ac, fewer clothes to wash, everything gets line dried and we take far fewer baths and showers. About 80% of our total energy use comes between mid October and April 1.
When we lived in the south it was almost the polar opposite, as We used little/no heating in the winter but lots is AC in the summer

But your explanation is spot on.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2021, 06:03:38 PM »
My only recent data point is my FIL in Colorado.  He got three quotes, but didn't go with the cheapest one.  His 5.1kW system should theoretically offset his entire electric usage.  The gross cost was $27K, but will be a net of $19.5K after the 26% federal tax credit.

Sorry... um... does that include batteries or something?  New transformer or mains panel or something (it shouldn't, it's well under the 120% rule for backfeed on a 200A busbar)?

That's $5.30/W, pre-incentives, and an eyeball-popping $4/W after.

See above, if that's just straight up grid tied solar, he got taken for a very nice and profitable ride.  That's obscene.

He did finance the system at 1.9%, and his monthly loan payments are a couple dollars lower than his utility bills would have been. 

No, he didn't.  He "bought" his way down to 1.9% with quite a few thousand dollars up front, because the solar loan companies are generally prohibited from liens on houses, so they make it up in interest - either in the actual interest rate or in prepayment of the interest.  It's probably 20% or so, in terms of actual effective interest rate, just with a bunch of the interest paid up front (and then, of course, you can take the tax credit on that - which I think is morally questionable, though the IRS certainly hasn't prohibited it, so... go for it).

The solar sales guys have as many knobs to fiddle with as your typical used car salesman, if not a few more - and nobody seems to realize this.  They can play all sorts of games with the terms (and their commission - plenty of them get to set their own number for it) to make it look cost effective, and, gosh, if utility costs go up 3%-4%-5%/yr (hint: It's set at whatever the maximum value in the quote software is, regardless of what the local utility is doing, and if you get one that can speak competently as to the local utility rate increases, you've got a good salesguy) for the next 30 years, and net metering doesn't change, well, you can save up to $100,000 or more!

A "good" solar salesperson figures out how much you can afford, and magically the system price comes in right around there.  They always assume you can take the full 26% credit in the first year, though never bother asking about your federal tax burden...

Sorry.  Screwing people out of large sums of money to help them feel "Green(TM)!" is not a meaningful solution to climate change, and that describes most of the solar companies I've met.

That system should be under $15k, pre-incentive.  The rest is just gravy.  And, done yourself, you should be able to do that size system for about $7500.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2021, 06:07:48 PM »

I'm an unpopular person in solar discussions because I actually know a bit about the power systems and have worked with people who do grid scale simulations of some of this stuff... a bit rubs off, even if you're doing backend coding for the simulations.  And I happen to like the power grid, deal with the realities of off-grid power through my own willingness to learn that stuff, and think it's worth funding the power grid and keeping it operational.  Which means, no, you can't just have everyone use it as their long term infinite battery for free ("net zero") and expect it to keep working.

Seasonal use will vary on the area, though if you use a ton of thermal energy in the winter and not much in the summer, solar probably isn't an ideal power system for you.  We use more in the summer, mostly for moving water, and also for transportation - we tend to drive a bit more when it's nice out, and most of our miles are coming from solar.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »

I'm an unpopular person in solar discussions because I actually know a bit about the power systems and have worked with people who do grid scale simulations of some of this stuff... a bit rubs off, even if you're doing backend coding for the simulations.  And I happen to like the power grid, deal with the realities of off-grid power through my own willingness to learn that stuff, and think it's worth funding the power grid and keeping it operational.  Which means, no, you can't just have everyone use it as their long term infinite battery for free ("net zero") and expect it to keep working.

Seasonal use will vary on the area, though if you use a ton of thermal energy in the winter and not much in the summer, solar probably isn't an ideal power system for you.  We use more in the summer, mostly for moving water, and also for transportation - we tend to drive a bit more when it's nice out, and most of our miles are coming from solar.

I for one welcome your input in such discussions.  It’s a nice change from the cliff-notes version of the same pro/con arguments typically presented whenever the subject of solar energy comes up.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2021, 07:48:55 PM »
I for one welcome your input in such discussions.  It’s a nice change from the cliff-notes version of the same pro/con arguments typically presented whenever the subject of solar energy comes up.

This is one of the few places on the internet that doesn't try to run me off for refusing to take one of the accepted positions about energy, at least...  though I assume I'd get run off in a hurry if I persisted in linking to long form writing I'd done offsite, because of self promotion rules or something that probably don't exist.

I generally don't think we can replicate the current power system on an extremely low carbon emission grid, and I think this winter is going to be a case study, at least over in Europe, if not in the US as well.  If it's legitimately cold, as it may very well be, expect a thundering silence about carbon emissions and climate change when countries are trying to figure out how to get coal to their thermal power stations to keep the lights on.  Europe is screwed on natural gas if it's cold, the US may be in a rough spot in some areas, China is... honestly, I don't even know what they're doing with coal right now other than rolling blackouts, etc.

Reliable, Low Carbon, Affordable - pick any two you want.  We currently have an affordable and reliable power grid, with quite a bit of carbon emissions.  You can do a low carbon and fairly affordable grid, but it doesn't have huge amounts of storage, which means it will have shortages every now and then.  For a while, you can make that up with legacy fossil plants (NG peakers and such), but eventually you run into problems, as those simply aren't economical to build for low annual utilization - they have to be staffed and maintained even when not used.  If you want reliable and low carbon, you can certainly find various high-hopium research papers, but it's far from clear that we'd be able to do such a thing for something resembling an affordable cost.  There are all sorts of things you can do if you're fine with $1/kWh, $5/kWh power, but that's not particularly useful to a lot of people... (see fusion power for how this is going to work out in the years to come)

If you're willing to accept 85% or 95% "as much as you want" sort of power, with the remainder being either "A bit limited" or "Really, don't use power unless you absolutely have to" situations, the whole thing becomes an awful lot easier.  It's just less popular with plenty of people who demand that they ought to be able to use as much energy as they want, any time they want, because we're humans and we don't have to live by the cycles of nature or some such argument (made directly or not - often not).  It would slow down the economy somewhat, but I'm not certain that this is a bad thing (exponential growth on a finite planet being impossible and asteroid mining being the current nonsensical excuse for how we'll kick the can a century or so).  If we had a month of "low energy days" in the work year, flexible as needed (power is generally able to be forecast ahead of time from renewable sources with enough accuracy to be useful), and some wider scale interconnects, you solve an awful lot while reducing storage requirements and cost drastically.  You also, in such a buildout, end up with a lot of surplus energy available for cheap to free in the spring/summer/fall months, and that can go to direct carbon capture for aviation and such.  But, in such a world, there would be a lot less commercial aviation (and probably a lot more sailplanes for personal aviation - they're a lot of fun).

In any case... I'm not optimistic we'll actually make such a transition, and will instead crash into more brick walls at full power, for whatever that looks like.  If you're building out alternative energy systems, it's worth considering how to convert them for off-grid use, or such - my system, realistically, is a couple charge controllers I probably really should keep on hand away from being a decent off-grid system.  I've already got the batteries and the inverter in a trailer... not that this is a low carbon energy source once you factor in embodied energy.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2021, 04:35:47 AM »
[

If you're willing to accept 85% or 95% "as much as you want" sort of power, with the remainder being either "A bit limited" or "Really, don't use power unless you absolutely have to" situations, the whole thing becomes an awful lot easier.  It's just less popular with plenty of people who demand that they ought to be able to use as much energy as they want, any time they want, because we're humans and we don't have to live by the cycles of nature or some such argument (made directly or not - often not).  It would slow down the economy somewhat, but I'm not certain that this is a bad thing (exponential growth on a finite planet being impossible and asteroid mining being the current nonsensical excuse for how we'll kick the can a century or so).  If we had a month of "low energy days" in the work year, flexible as needed (power is generally able to be forecast ahead of time from renewable sources with enough accuracy to be useful), and some wider scale interconnects, you solve an awful lot while reducing storage requirements and cost drastically.  You also, in such a buildout, end up with a lot of surplus energy available for cheap to free in the spring/summer/fall months, and that can go to direct carbon capture for aviation and such.  But, in such a world, there would be a lot less commercial aviation (and probably a lot more sailplanes for personal aviation - they're a lot of fun).

I would like to see this become a more common topic of discussion. It’s not just limited to energy either - in just the last 75 years we’ve come to expect that we should be able to eat whatever foods we want, use however much water we’d like and travel wherever we want to go largely regardless of the season or current weather.  My dad - who is otherwise very environmentally oriented - sees this as some sort of human triumph.everything is always available and affordable!
There was even a raucous climate change thread on this forum where a couple of posters flat-out rejected the notion that we ought to simply consume less overall with regards to energy because that to them indicated the opposite of “progress”.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2021, 11:14:33 AM »
I would like to see this become a more common topic of discussion. It’s not just limited to energy either - in just the last 75 years we’ve come to expect that we should be able to eat whatever foods we want, use however much water we’d like and travel wherever we want to go largely regardless of the season or current weather.  My dad - who is otherwise very environmentally oriented - sees this as some sort of human triumph.everything is always available and affordable!
There was even a raucous climate change thread on this forum where a couple of posters flat-out rejected the notion that we ought to simply consume less overall with regards to energy because that to them indicated the opposite of “progress”.

If you want a decently written book on this subject, Bright Green Lies (by the Deep Green Resistance people - their bias is that industrial civilization is simply incompatible with the planet and they argue well for it) talks a lot about how much actual mining and such is going to be required to do the whole "Try to maintain current power systems with renewables" things.  Nobody tends to translate from "windmills needed" to "number of mountaintops that will be blasted into valleys" - though Jenssen and crew do the math on it and it's not pretty.  They point out, rightly, that even formerly environmental groups like the Sierra Club have moved over the past decade to "Well, we have to be able to maintain our modern industrial ways of living but without causing climate change."  Even if you have to strip mine whole countries to get the materials to do it.

Lowering energy use, and being more flexible with time of use, gains you an awful lot without that much of an impact.  I currently have 600W coming into my office off ~5kW of solar, so... I don't have everything turned on.  In the dark winter inversions, I'll have even less coming in, and use less energy.  The house is consuming a bit, but we don't do dishes and such as much in the dark days, we try to do those during the sun, even though net metering means it doesn't matter in actual cost.  I should probably try to be more deliberate about that, though.

In terms of practical personal steps, becoming less dependent on the "always everything you can afford, Just In Time!" sort of chains makes sense.  A decade or so ago, someone's suggestion was "Collapse early and avoid the rush," and that's recently changed to "Well, this is the rush part..." - I expect systems will continue to be less reliable going forward, so being able to ride through those disruptions makes sense.

Where I get particularly annoyed is with the "wealthy climate change solution advocates" who can't be bothered to actually even drive their personal emissions negative or to change their lives in the slightest.  The optics of "A bunch of millionaires and billionaires taking their private jets to private resorts to agree that other people ought to do something" remains as poor as ever.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2021, 01:08:18 PM »
If you want a decently written book on this subject, Bright Green Lies (by the Deep Green Resistance people - their bias is that industrial civilization is simply incompatible with the planet and they argue well for it) talks a lot about how much actual mining and such is going to be required to do the whole "Try to maintain current power systems with renewables" things.  Nobody tends to translate from "windmills needed" to "number of mountaintops that will be blasted into valleys" - though Jenssen and crew do the math on it and it's not pretty.  They point out, rightly, that even formerly environmental groups like the Sierra Club have moved over the past decade to "Well, we have to be able to maintain our modern industrial ways of living but without causing climate change."  Even if you have to strip mine whole countries to get the materials to do it.

I work in the mining industry and a coworker has this bumper sticker in his office, "if you can't grow it, you've got to mine it"

This goes for materials in your phones, the aggregate in our roads, the nails and concrete in our homes, etc.

The green revolution is driving an increase in lithium and copper mining

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2021, 04:52:37 PM »
The green revolution is driving an increase in lithium and copper mining

Wait, there's another green revolution?

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2021, 08:14:48 PM »
So I guess the most practical plan, taking into human psychology, is 99% reliable power for the rich and 80-95% for the rest?  It’s true that power goes out a lot in some countries and people don’t miraculously fall over dead. But the average American would raid the Capitol if that’s what environmentalists proposed. This time with real guns!

I don’t dispute the facts Syonyk brings up. Just don’t want to be nearby when the rest of society learns them.

I guess the other way to look at it is we already know the most efficient ways to store and produce energy and there will be no further breakthroughs in the next 50-60 years. Maybe.

I’m very pessimistic that we will even get close to keeping warming under check in the next 60 years, so my focus is accepting the new reality and trying to not die in the coming water wars.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:18:41 PM by Abe »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2021, 07:16:17 AM »
So I guess the most practical plan, taking into human psychology, is 99% reliable power for the rich and 80-95% for the rest?  It’s true that power goes out a lot in some countries and people don’t miraculously fall over dead. But the average American would raid the Capitol if that’s what environmentalists proposed. This time with real guns!

I think the average American would just buy inefficient generators and kick them on when their power goes out in that scenario.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »

I think the average American would just buy inefficient generators and kick them on when their power goes out in that scenario.

I had that same thought.

Maybe it's time to get into the backup power supply business. I bet a battery bigger than an Anker phone backup but smaller than a Tesla Powerwall that has enough juice to run Modem & Wifi & TV & devices for a few hours but is reasonably priced and marketed correctly could be a good business. That or run CPAP, oxygen, etc.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2021, 11:40:41 AM »

I don’t dispute the facts Syonyk brings up. Just don’t want to be nearby when the rest of society learns them.

I guess the other way to look at it is we already know the most efficient ways to store and produce energy and there will be no further breakthroughs in the next 50-60 years. Maybe.

I’m very pessimistic that we will even get close to keeping warming under check in the next 60 years, so my focus is accepting the new reality and trying to not die in the coming water wars.

I absolutely agree about the likelihood of acceptance of a less reliable grid.  Any proposal that has a "you must accept less" approach is doomed to fail.  Any politician that proposes such a thing will be quickly replaced by someone who doesn't.

I'm a bit more optimistic than you, but maybe not by a lot.

I think we all agree that technology doesn't exist today to do grid-storage at scale.  But I only think that's because no one has really looked at it in depth until the last few years.  It's been a solution without a problem until renewables got to scale.  In fact, I view this as a self-solving problem to a degree.  Once the grid starts seeing reliability issues from too many renewables, potential solutions will be tested pretty rapidly.

We're already starting to see enough investment in the sector that I think some promising solutions will appear in the near future.  As an example, CO is looking at using molten salt for heat storage (link below).  It's massively expensive, but I would imagine that is partly because it's a custom-engineering project that hasn't really been done in this style before.  Maybe it will be economical at scale, and maybe it won't.  But I'm somewhat optimistic that all of the experimentation out there will lead to some better options than we have today.

https://coloradosun.com/2021/10/04/hayden-molten-salt-coal-energy-greenhouse-gas/

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2021, 12:12:30 PM »
I think most people will accept an unreliable grid grudgingly over time, with it becoming the new thing to complain about. Like the weather. And politicians will campaign on more reliable energy, but like now, no one really expects them to deliver on their promises.

We just bought a house that happens to have a generator backup. Glad we got in early on SOMEthing, if there is going to be a jump in the backup energy market. I guess.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2021, 03:14:33 PM »
An unreliable grid has many advantages over more direct forms of solar subsidies. Perhaps this is the messy way forward.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2021, 03:33:56 PM »
I wonder then, would an unreliable grid cause a significant number of Americans, Canadians, Australians, and Europeans to migrate (regionally or internationally) toward areas with more reliable electrical service? I can certainly see companies target new manufacturing operations in areas which are going to deliver less downtime. Probably would pull workers there too.

Ironically, this would probably favor areas with more sun/solar as well as more consistent hydroelectric.

Or would the electricity generation market deregulate to the point that new yorkers are buying solar from AZ and washingtonians are buying hydro from CO?

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2021, 03:35:05 PM »
An unreliable grid is technically doable for residences but will be too politically unpopular if it lasts more than a week or two and given current reliance on electrics for sustaining life and communication will probably also lead to significant excess deaths.  It's also complete shit if you want a productive economy with viable industrial processes and efficient services.

Said by someone who remembers the "three day week" in the UK in 1974.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2021, 07:46:44 PM »
I wonder then, would an unreliable grid cause a significant number of Americans, Canadians, Australians, and Europeans to migrate (regionally or internationally) toward areas with more reliable electrical service?

As someone who has tasted the tap water in places like Houston and Las Vegas, I can say with certainty that shitty utility service doesn't make people move.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2021, 08:03:34 PM »
I expect the next 50 years to go like this:

2020s: slow increase in wind and solar. Coal phases out in most places, nuclear plants continue running as is. Boutique large-scale batteries installed in rich areas of liberal states with both the money and interest in building these. By end of the decade, US is 50-50 fossil fuels (NG) and other (vs 60-40% now).

2030s: off-shore wind installations increase and add more stability. solar and on-shore wind continue to increase linearly (not exponentially). Large-scale hydroelectric becomes more seasonal and less reliable as the Megadrought continues. Several "oh shit" moments (i.e. Texas grid collapses several times) lead to wider-scale adoption of batteries and natural gas peaker plants. Almost all coal plants have shut down. 40% of US power comes from NG, 60% other sources. Europe transitions to >80% wind, solar, nuclear and batteries with NG peaker plants as backup.

2040s: fusion demonstration plant fails to launch. NG has a resurgence due to heatwaves, loss of large hydro and nuclear plants (20% of 2020 grid) reach end of usable life. Net effect is that NG remains 40% as nuclear's share of the pie is divided up evenly. US grids start to fracture due to poor infrastructure and more frequent weather-induced outages. Richer states/cities monopolize batteries while poorer ones use diesel backup more. Several thousand people die per year from heat waves in these areas.

2050s: NG increases as backlash against renewable energy and grid outages increases. Nuclear plants commissioned with less restrictions to speed construction. Older solar/wind plants are decommissioned and replaced with NG plants. NG back to 50%, nuclear 10% and others 40%.

2060s: nuclear accidents contaminate large tracts in poorer rural Southeast and Midwest. NG increases to 60%, but fracking output is faltering. Large hydro essentially abandoned. Grid outages are weekly occurrences throughout the country. Solar and off-shore wind continue in California and Northeast, respectively. Solar output noticeably decreased by Megafires in the west. Several tens of thousands die per year from heatwaves and drought.

2070s: fusion again fails. Strip-mining for uranium, tar sands, coal and rare earth metals increases in desperate attempt for power as fracking drops substantially. Regional power grid interconnections have failed. Long-term power and water outages/contamination are common as critical infrastructure is no longer reliable in most of the US. Solar and offshore wind are intermittently replaced as they fail. Coal, tar sands and NG increase to 60% while solar, wind and nuclear are around 40%. Widespread economic recession has significantly decreased US power demands compared to 2020 levels. Quality of life is comparable to modern-day South Asia (rich are fine, rest cough on fumes). 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2021, 02:30:02 AM »
Cheers, Abe.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2021, 05:48:05 AM »
Interesting analysis, Abe. Definitely a real possibility.

I wonder then, would an unreliable grid cause a significant number of Americans, Canadians, Australians, and Europeans to migrate (regionally or internationally) toward areas with more reliable electrical service?

As someone who has tasted the tap water in places like Houston and Las Vegas, I can say with certainty that shitty utility service doesn't make people move.

Very true, easier to complain-in-place than to relocate.

HSBW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2021, 06:24:50 AM »
Abe, that is a remarkably grim picture of the future. Certainly within the range of possible outcomes but very much on the pessimistic side. You seem to imply that we will end up kicking the can down the road and "praying" for fusion to save the day only to repeatedly be disappointed. Long duration storage at a reasonable cost would be able to mitigate some of the issues that cause your narrative scenario. Are you just very pessimistic about the feasibility of the reduced cost of batteries over the next couple decades?

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2021, 07:01:45 AM »
Yeah, I'll agree that this outlook is a little abnormally pessimistic. Large scale Hydro generation isn't going anywhere. It may be relocated from where some of it currently resides to off-shore, but I actually expect hydro to grow as a source of energy, not shrink. I think there will absolutely be some kicking the can down the road (as we've been doing for several decades already), but I also expect solar and wind to exponentially increase in places like the US where it is currently a fringe source of generation. Nuclear will continue. Coal-fired plants will die in the coming decades, but it's going to be hard to get the entire world to agree on that one...so it won't completely go away any time soon. We have the technology to adapt and I believe we will.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2021, 08:37:11 AM »
 I expect a distinctly non-radical road will be taken:

Each region will settle into the energy source that is cheapest for that region. It is very hard to fight against economics and any investment has to earn its cost of capital plus a risk premium.

Coal and Nuclear are dying because they are more expensive than NG, basically everywhere. Solar is growing because it is cheaper than most other sources - and tends to produce power during the most valuable "peaker" daylight hours. Wind will expand until the best available sites are saturated, and then will stop growing. Regarding hydro, it is strange for me to see so many existing dams on the Arkansas, Missouri, Mississippi, and Ohio rivers that don't have small hydroelectric installations. Given the simplicity of the technology, I suspect regulatory hurdles are the holdup with capturing this free green energy, and it's curious that environmentalists aren't demanding hydro on these sites. 

So the question is: What will prices for all these things be in the future? If a great depression occurred and labor was to get really cheap, like it is in China, coal could make a comeback. If a region has 20 years of NG reserves, that it a lot different than if the reserves are 100 years. How much further can the price of solar panels keep falling - they're now 21% lower than in 2016?

Overall though, I think it's not necessarily true that electric demand will go up forever in countries with a soon-to-be-shrinking population. Tens of millions of people in the US suddenly started working from home instead of commuting, and their companies are in the slow process of decommissioning the energy-intensive office buildings that used to be a way of life. Even if we switch to BEVs and plug-in hybrids, it won't necessarily increase usage if we don't commute or use as much office space. Printers and copiers are now trash, instead of energy vampires. Energy-frugal laptops and tablets are now much more common than desktops. LEDs are ubiquitous. Remember when flying on an airplane to rent an SUV to attend a meeting, and then going back, used to be a normal way of doing business? The list goes on...

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2021, 08:53:39 AM »
So the question is: What will prices for all these things be in the future? If a great depression occurred and labor was to get really cheap, like it is in China, coal could make a comeback. If a region has 20 years of NG reserves, that it a lot different than if the reserves are 100 years. How much further can the price of solar panels keep falling - they're now 21% lower than in 2016?

It's a good question and I don't know the answer. Obviously at some point we're going to hit limits on how cheap photovoltaics can practically get. I do know that every attempt to predict when prices would stop falling has been wrong so far.

Source: https://www.inet.ox.ac.uk/files/energy_transition_paper-INET-working-paper.pdf

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2021, 09:03:25 AM »

It's a good question and I don't know the answer. Obviously at some point we're going to hit limits on how cheap photovoltaics can practically get. I do know that every attempt to predict when prices would stop falling has been wrong so far.

Source: https://www.inet.ox.ac.uk/files/energy_transition_paper-INET-working-paper.pdf

Great data @maizefolk .

We know a bottom exists somewhere, but the rate of error involved in predicting solar panel costs is humbling. If any of us were able to predict interest rates just a year from now, we would become multi-millionaires, and predicting solar costs makes this look easy. Both factors have a theoretical bottom, and a clear trend line, but.... good luck with that.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2021, 07:45:39 PM »
Well I guess the economic costs make it worthwhile to switch, but there’s the ideological cost. I admit it is a bit blinkered to think that other countries’ society would choose fossil fuels as a hill to die on, but Americans have peculiarities unlike most developed countries. We also use so much energy on beef, trucks, McMansions, etc it’ll be hard to transition.

This is in the news today: first paragraph summarized it if you’re behind a paywall.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/15/climate/biden-clean-energy-manchin.html
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:47:18 PM by Abe »

BuildingFrugalHabits

• Bristles
  • Living the dream
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2021, 10:15:43 AM »
I've taken some steps personally to fight the scourge of climate change but I acknowledge that I still suck have room for improvement.  Quick summary:

1: Electric: Immediately added solar panels to the house when purchased.  Line dry most laundry, air dry the dishes, moderate A/C use set at 79 & open windows at night, replaced bulbs with LEDs, added and use dimmers, unplug & turn things off when not in use, and switched to an induction range.  Solar is able cover electricity consumption with a surplus when not working from home or charging the car a lot.
2: Gas: Home energy audit to improve efficiency. Thermostat set back at night, maintain a reasonable hot water heater set point, 1.6 GPM shower head, use space heat in living areas, close window blinds at night. 
2: Transportation: Bought a house close to work and bicycle commute as much as possible.  Bought a used  Prius to use as the primary mode of powered transport and recently replaced that with a plug
in hybrid.  Most people think they need an SUV to get around especially in the mountains but I  found that using a hatchback + winter tires is a more efficient and cost effective alternative.  I have a bike rack but the bike fits inside to improve mpgs on longer trips   
4: Food: Garden a bit, participate in CSAs and farmers markets for local food, compost, avoid food waste, moderate meat consumption. 
5: Vote

Things we could do better:
- Eat less meat or start hunting
- Consume less stuff
- Drive less, carpool more
- Fly less
- Replace A/C with a more efficient unit and/or heat pump when it becomes more affordable.
- Eventually downsize to a small house / townhouse / condo or build a house optimized for energy efficiency with passive solar features
- Go hardcore with no waste / and avoiding packaging etc. 
- other ideas?

« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:09:40 PM by BuildingFrugalHabits »

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2021, 06:21:50 AM »
I've taken some steps personally to fight the scourge of climate change but I acknowledge that I still suck have room for improvement.  Quick summary:

1: Electric: Immediately added solar panels to the house when purchased.  Line dry most laundry, air dry the dishes, moderate A/C use set at 79 & open windows at night, replaced bulbs with LEDs, added and use dimmers, unplug & turn things off when not in use, and switched to an induction range.  Solar is able cover electricity consumption with a surplus when not working from home or charging the car a lot.
2: Gas: Home energy audit to improve efficiency. Thermostat set back at night, maintain a reasonable hot water heater set point, 1.6 GPM shower head, use space heat in living areas, close window blinds at night. 
2: Transportation: Bought a house close to work and bicycle commute as much as possible.  Bought a used  Prius to use as the primary mode of powered transport and recently replaced that with a plug
in hybrid.  Most people think they need an SUV to get around especially in the mountains but I  found that using a hatchback + winter tires is a more efficient and cost effective alternative.  I have a bike rack but the bike fits inside to improve mpgs on longer trips   
4: Food: Garden a bit, participate in CSAs and farmers markets for local food, compost, avoid food waste, moderate meat consumption. 
5: Vote

Things we could do better:
- Eat less meat or start hunting
- Consume less stuff
- Drive less, carpool more
- Fly less
- Replace A/C with a more efficient unit and/or heat pump when it becomes more affordable.
- Eventually downsize to a small house / townhouse / condo or build a house optimized for energy efficiency with passive solar features
- Go hardcore with no waste / and avoiding packaging etc. 
- other ideas?

Depending on where you live, perhaps work on other areas of water efficiency (greywater recycling, rainwater collection, efficient gardening water strategies such as drip irrigation or buried clay pots)

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2021, 07:46:24 AM »
My Climate change mitigation strategies is to see when people like the Obama's sell their ocean front properties in mass rather than continue to buy them and then move further inland, although I doubt I'll ever need to do that.

Main problem with CAGW (whether a real risk or not) is it doesn't matter what the US or Europe does at this point - all of the CO2 growth and then some has been coming from China (which is now 2x the US), India, Brazil and none of these have any requirements from Paris to slow down their growth, much less actually reduce their CO2 nor will they ever limit themselves. The Paris Accord's own data showed if the US went to 0 carbon, it would only reduce temps by 0.2, and zero carbon just isn't practical at this point, especially without mass thorium nuclear energy, which no one on the left seems to want to embrace for some reason.

If you really wanted to reduce CO2, you'd put a *huge* environmental tariff on all goods from nearly all other countries besides the US, Canada, Australia, NZ and western Europe that would make Trump's tariffs look pathetic.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:03:53 AM by magus »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2021, 09:47:06 AM »
My Climate change mitigation strategies is to see when people like the Obama's sell their ocean front properties in mass rather than continue to buy them and then move further inland, although I doubt I'll ever need to do that.

Main problem with CAGW (whether a real risk or not) is it doesn't matter what the US or Europe does at this point - all of the CO2 growth and then some has been coming from China (which is now 2x the US), India, Brazil and none of these have any requirements from Paris to slow down their growth, much less actually reduce their CO2 nor will they ever limit themselves. The Paris Accord's own data showed if the US went to 0 carbon, it would only reduce temps by 0.2, and zero carbon just isn't practical at this point, especially without mass thorium nuclear energy, which no one on the left seems to want to embrace for some reason.

If you really wanted to reduce CO2, you'd put a *huge* environmental tariff on all goods from nearly all other countries besides the US, Canada, Australia, NZ and western Europe that would make Trump's tariffs look pathetic.
The problems with your argument are 1) even without growth in carbon emissions (from China or elsewhere) existing levels of carbon emissions from other countries are unsustainable and 2) a 0.2 percent increase or reduction in global temperatures doesn't sound much because it seems like a small fraction of something but is actually massive.

Zero carbon might be doable at some point but even if you think it isn't that is no excuse for you not to work to get to as close as possible.

I agree with you that taxes and tarrifs need to move to being based on carbon costs.  But I wouldn't use the ultra-rich like the Obamas as my bellweather: people like that can afford to lose a house or two to climate change without it making any difference to them.  Those of us who only own one house to live in need to be a bit more thoughtful

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2021, 11:47:53 AM »

The problems with your argument are 1) even without growth in carbon emissions (from China or elsewhere) existing levels of carbon emissions from other countries are unsustainable and 2) a 0.2 percent increase or reduction in global temperatures doesn't sound much because it seems like a small fraction of something but is actually massive.

Zero carbon might be doable at some point but even if you think it isn't that is no excuse for you not to work to get to as close as possible.

I agree with you that taxes and tarrifs need to move to being based on carbon costs.  But I wouldn't use the ultra-rich like the Obamas as my bellweather: people like that can afford to lose a house or two to climate change without it making any difference to them.  Those of us who only own one house to live in need to be a bit more thoughtful

I disagree, 0.2 is not much and actually within the standard error (iow not statistically significant) AND would cost tens of trillions of dollars to achieve. You could allocate that $ significantly better to actually preserve the environment and human life than that.

Second, there is always a balance between being a good stewart of the environment and human enjoyment. Where you draw the line is not where I would draw the line is not where our neighbors draw the line. My experience with most CAGW alarmist is they personally make almost zero effort to reduce their emissions (travel globally, drive a huge SUV, own multiple locations - usually McMansions, etc) which is why most CO2 reduction in the US in the last 25 years has come from switch from coal to natural gas thanks to fracking and businesses cutting energy usage for cost savings.

And I also disagree with folks like the Obamas not being a bellweather. NO ONE spends ten digits on a single property on Martha's Vineyard expecting it to be worth zero in a decade or three, especially someone like him that has had a closer look at the issue than everyone on this board combined.  The rich are usually even more irratated at losing millions on investments than the poor are at losing theirs from my experience. Sure they could but they absolutely hate it - its why they spend so much money on tax avoidance while simultaneously saying they want taxes on themselves to be raised.

Lastly, Thorium nuclear energy is *cheap* safe and an easy way to massively reduce our CO2 yet climate change groups actively oppose this. Until Governments and these groups start pushing thorium nuclear I could not care one iota what they want me to do as its obvious that GW is just being used to usher in social and economic change and not actually fix the stated problem.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 11:52:01 AM by magus »

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »
I disagree, 0.2 is not much and actually within the standard error (iow not statistically significant) AND would cost tens of trillions of dollars to achieve. You could allocate that $ significantly better to actually preserve the environment and human life than that.

I think this does not mean what you think it means. The business as usual scenario has the earth warming 4.5C by 2100. Sure that estimate could be off one way or another. If you're seeing estimates that cutting US emissions would be enough to chop 0.2C off that projection* and the overall standard error in projections is greater than that it doesn't mean we don't know with confidence that cutting US emissions will alter the projection. We just don't know if it would be from 4.7 to 4.5, from 4.5 to 4.3 or from 4.3 to 4.1. Because the human suffering caused by global warning scales with the degree of change, any of those three scenarios is still valuable.

However, I'm guessing your 0.2 degree number either comes from looking at shorter term warming (2050? 2030?) and/or doesn't account for future growth in US emissions under a business as usual scenario. Would you be willing to link to the study/source in question?

Lastly, Thorium nuclear energy is *cheap* safe and an easy way to massively reduce our CO2 yet climate change groups actively oppose this. Until Governments and these groups start pushing thorium nuclear I could not care one iota what they want me to do as its obvious that GW is just being used to usher in social and economic change and not actually fix the stated problem.

I agree. It's atrocious that we're not seeing more investment in cheap modular and scaleable nuclear reactors (thorium and otherwise). I supported the one candidate in 2020 who I'm aware of backing investment in new nuclear reactors AND thorium reactors. I'll continue to do so in the future.

But saying "I don't support addressing climate change unless everyone else who wants to address climate change agrees with my on the strategy for doing so" is the very definition of cutting off you nose to spite your face. There are lots of stupid people out there in the world and unfortunately some forms of political activism tends to concentrate them because it lets them interpret any disagreement with them about facts or logic to be "you're one of those bad people who believes the exact opposite of everything I believe." Don't let your own views be dictated by just doing the exact opposite of whatever the people you don't like want, or you're placing yourself just as much under their power as if you do whatever they want you to do.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2021, 12:56:52 PM »
My strategy is to look for ways I can make a difference above and beyond reducing my family's personal usage. Installing solar panels on your own house is good. Joining a construction crew that will install solar panels on 100 houses each year is better. Inventing a cheaper solar panel, leading thousands of people to install them who wouldn't have done so otherwise is better still. Find a niche where you can contribute and move that needle.

To that end I recently accepted a job offer to work on the software platform for a company that aims to reduce food waste at scale. Food waste reduction is the single thing that will make the biggest difference toward climate change, according to Project Drawdown. There's a lot of waste and inflexibility built into the food supply chain. A large percentage of fresh produce grown doesn't even leave the farm due to a lack of buyers. A large percentage that does leave the farm doesn't leave the store because they ordered more than they could sell in time. I'm excited for the opportunity to make a small dent in this one aspect of the problem.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2021, 02:57:03 PM »
My strategy is to look for ways I can make a difference above and beyond reducing my family's personal usage. Installing solar panels on your own house is good. Joining a construction crew that will install solar panels on 100 houses each year is better. Inventing a cheaper solar panel, leading thousands of people to install them who wouldn't have done so otherwise is better still. Find a niche where you can contribute and move that needle.

To that end I recently accepted a job offer to work on the software platform for a company that aims to reduce food waste at scale. Food waste reduction is the single thing that will make the biggest difference toward climate change, according to Project Drawdown. There's a lot of waste and inflexibility built into the food supply chain. A large percentage of fresh produce grown doesn't even leave the farm due to a lack of buyers. A large percentage that does leave the farm doesn't leave the store because they ordered more than they could sell in time. I'm excited for the opportunity to make a small dent in this one aspect of the problem.

That’s really cool. Do you know what benefit (if any) there is to buying local produce? I get that it’s transported fewer miles but imagine the major cost is related to production, not transit. Any insights you gain (or have already) are appreciated!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2021, 03:36:03 PM »

That’s really cool. Do you know what benefit (if any) there is to buying local produce? I get that it’s transported fewer miles but imagine the major cost is related to production, not transit. Any insights you gain (or have already) are appreciated!

I'm far from an expert on agriculture, but I know there are a lot of different factors.

The most obvious difference in buying local produce is in the transportation, but even here there isn't always a clear-cut benefit for buying local. Just pulling numbers out of thin air here, but if your apple traveled 1,000 miles in a full semi truck there's a good chance it used less carbon in transportation than if you bought an apple from someone who traveled 50 miles in a half-full pickup truck to sell their artisanal produce at the farmer's market.

The Project Drawdown folks think the bulk of the climate change benefit from food waste reduction will come from the fact that more efficient food production will mean less deforestation etc. to feed a growing population.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2021, 05:27:50 PM »
It's not climate change specifically but in terms of resilience in the face of climate change and managing rate limiting resources, it can be better to ship in food from places with abundant water than grow food locally in places where growing food requires irrigation and farms and cities are competing for the same limited water resources.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2021, 10:56:53 PM »

Well, yes.  Sadly, I don't think it's a practical approach, but there's some distinction to be made here between "Reliable" and "As much as you want."  If you're willing to compromise some of the year on the second, the first becomes radically easier.  There's a difference between the two.  To point at my office, my power system is quite reliable, but I definitely don't have all the power I can possibly use during the winter months unless I want to pay around $1/kWh with the generator.  However, most of the rest of the year, power is available beyond what I can use - I'm demand limited.  I take the tradeoffs, because it's a lot cheaper than having the battery bank or generator use for unlimited energy year round.

The alternative is probably a lot of blackouts, because I'm not sure one can actually do the whole "All the energy you want, any time you want it" thing on low or no carbon emissions.

But the fundamental question is, "Should we be able to use absolutely as much energy as we want, any time we want, as long as we can afford the power bill?"  The answer, from a "We'd like to not fry the planet, please, and maybe keep a few species other than us alive..." perspective is a pretty clear "No."  Humans can survive just fine over a far wider temperature range than "Set it at 72, year round," have done so in the past, and, I'll argue, will do so in the future - one way or another.

An awful lot of the problem space has been explored and found either to be useful (so we use it), or severely wanting in some ways or another (to include political will) - so we don't use it.  If you look at a typical technology maturity curve, you see the standard diminishing returns, and we're certainly into that with a lot of our energy technologies - fundamentally, a nuclear reactor is a novel way to boil water to spin a turbine, except they've been around for about 80 years now (in some form or another).  Fusion... we keep trying various things, and we're out of all the cheap ideas, so we're deep into the insanely complex, expensive ideas.  If you could generate power with fusion, but it was going to cost $10/kWh, this isn't particularly useful.  There's incremental work with lithium ion, but I'll argue we're into diminishing returns, and even if you get pretty close to the theoretical limits, it's only another 2-3x improvement on current cells across the various metrics.  It's nice, certainly, but it's not going to revolutionize anything.  It's just going to make what we can do today a bit cheaper, and extend out the number of cells you can build on the resources available (don't do the math, you won't like it, and a factor of 5 doesn't change anything of significance).

That's unfortunately a good idea...  and I'd suggest that systems and capabilities installed today be installed with an eye towards how they can operate grid down.

Not for long.  They're a royal pain in the ass.  Start paying $1/kWh delivered, and you figure out how to reduce your energy use an awful lot, in a big hurry - and, yes, that's the sort of costs for energy delivered you get off a small generator.  10% thermal to electrical is pretty good, and, no, the inverter generators don't improve that by too much.  They're less-bad at light load than an open frame, but not by as much as you'd like to hope.  They're just quieter, and out put cleaner power.  You'd find a lot of people figuring out in a hurry that about the only things they really need are the fridge/freezer.

Maybe it's time to get into the backup power supply business. I bet a battery bigger than an Anker phone backup but smaller than a Tesla Powerwall that has enough juice to run Modem & Wifi & TV & devices for a few hours but is reasonably priced and marketed correctly could be a good business. That or run CPAP, oxygen, etc.

There are plenty out there, they're all very obscenely priced, and tend to rely more on hype than actual engineering, as far as I can tell.  But I'll mutter something about supply chains and suggest you do your homework before you try to get into it.  If you go with lead, you're weight and energy limited, because a good deep cycle lead acid battery weighs a lot, and the smaller, lighter ones you can fit in a small device have horrid service lives anyway (UPS batteries are good for a couple dozen cycles, if that).  Lithium improves things, and I hope you enjoy hazmat shipping training, because you'll need it.

If you're able to do most of the engineering yourself, and build around LFP or something, you could probably do it, but it's tricky, and you have to be quite idiot-proof for such things to work.  I'm working on the power trailer stuff (see image above), and we're struggling with basic things like "trailer axles" and "batteries" right now, in terms of supply chains.  We've had trouble getting the proper size angle metal for some stuff, and while that's improving, I'm far from certain that the rest of the stuff we need will be available.  But, yes, doing something with backup power is probably a good bet going forward.  Not the most climate friendly thing, but stands a good chance of being profitable, if you can deal with the supply chains.

I wonder then, would an unreliable grid cause a significant number of Americans, Canadians, Australians, and Europeans to migrate (regionally or internationally) toward areas with more reliable electrical service? I can certainly see companies target new manufacturing operations in areas which are going to deliver less downtime. Probably would pull workers there too.

Rural Electrification happened in the memory of people still alive.  I fully expect the reverse to happen at some point.  And people will deal with it just fine, as they did before, and probably use an awful lot less power in the process.

Abe, that is a remarkably grim picture of the future. Certainly within the range of possible outcomes but very much on the pessimistic side.

I'm aware this forum tends towards a certain maniacal optimism, but recall that this forum also has never seen a bear market.  It did show up after 2008.  I wouldn't be surprised if the general shape of the argument proves true in the years to come, though by the end the internet will be far from reliable enough to actually come back and visit this thread.

You seem to imply that we will end up kicking the can down the road and "praying" for fusion to save the day only to repeatedly be disappointed.

In that this has been roughly the past 50 years or so, and current politicians are confident that some yet-to-be-invented technology will save the day when it comes to reducing carbon emissions, I think it's an entirely valid guess.

The US climate envoy, John Kerry, has said 50% of the carbon reductions needed to get to net zero will come from technologies that have not yet been invented, and said people “don’t have to give up a quality of life” in order to cut emissions.

He said Americans would “not necessarily” have to eat less meat, because of research being done into the way cattle are herded and fed in order to reduce methane emissions.

“You don’t have to give up a quality of life to achieve some of the things that we know we have to achieve. That’s the brilliance of some of the things that we know how to do,” he told BBC One’s Andrew Marr show. “I am told by scientists that 50% of the reductions we have to make to get to net zero are going to come from technologies that we don’t yet have. That’s just a reality.

“And people who are realistic about this understand that’s part of the challenge. So we have to get there sooner rather than later.”

In other words, "I have no idea how it's going to happen, but if we just hope hard enough, and clap our hands, Tinker Belle will come and save us!"

Long duration storage at a reasonable cost would be able to mitigate some of the issues that cause your narrative scenario. Are you just very pessimistic about the feasibility of the reduced cost of batteries over the next couple decades?

I don't think you quite understand the scale of the problem if you're thinking batteries can solve it... go play with a calculator for a bit with global electrical use, and then expand out to total global energy use.

Large scale Hydro generation isn't going anywhere. It may be relocated from where some of it currently resides to off-shore, but I actually expect hydro to grow as a source of energy, not shrink.

o.O  What are you calling "Hydro"?  At least in the US, western dam production is well on the way to shrinking as lakes are trying to run dry.  Tidal and such has some potential, but it's quite diffuse.

Great.  Except, PV panels already aren't the dominant costs in smaller installs, and even in the big utility scale installs, they're only about a third of the cost - so dropping them to literally zero doesn't change the system costs drastically.

Figure about $0.50/W for panels in bulk, against a DIY install cost of $1.50/W, a good installer cost of $2.50/W, and a typical "Screw your customer while telling them how forward thinking they are!" cost of $3.50-$5/W.

It's not the panel costs anymore.  Though if you don't want literal Chinese slave labor in your silicon, you've got some issues these days.

Second, there is always a balance between being a good stewart of the environment and human enjoyment. Where you draw the line is not where I would draw the line is not where our neighbors draw the line. My experience with most CAGW alarmist is they personally make almost zero effort to reduce their emissions (travel globally, drive a huge SUV, own multiple locations - usually McMansions, etc) which is why most CO2 reduction in the US in the last 25 years has come from switch from coal to natural gas thanks to fracking and businesses cutting energy usage for cost savings.

Humans had perfectly enjoyable lives before we got into the earth's carbon cookie jar, and will have perfectly enjoyable lives long after the last dregs have been pulled out.

But, yes, the obvious hypocrisy of those who claim it's a huge deal, and sooooo huge that they can't possibly have any impact, so all you can do is vote Democrat and go on an overseas vacation... isn't helping the cause they claim to care about in the slightest.

I've also yet to hear a good reason why multi-millionaires or billionaires need to have gigantic homes with the energy budget of a small town, a couple yachts, etc.

Lastly, Thorium nuclear energy is *cheap* safe and an easy way to massively reduce our CO2 yet climate change groups actively oppose this.

I believe it also has the slightly irritating problem of "not actually existing yet."

Anyway, I'm going into a period of fasting so probably won't respond for a while, sorry.

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »

I think this does not mean what you think it means. The business as usual scenario has the earth warming 4.5C by 2100. Sure that estimate could be off one way or another. If you're seeing estimates that cutting US emissions would be enough to chop 0.2C off that projection* and the overall standard error in projections is greater than that it doesn't mean we don't know with confidence that cutting US emissions will alter the projection. We just don't know if it would be from 4.7 to 4.5, from 4.5 to 4.3 or from 4.3 to 4.1. Because the human suffering caused by global warning scales with the degree of change, any of those three scenarios is still valuable.

However, I'm guessing your 0.2 degree number either comes from looking at shorter term warming (2050? 2030?) and/or doesn't account for future growth in US emissions under a business as usual scenario. Would you be willing to link to the study/source in question?

I agree. It's atrocious that we're not seeing more investment in cheap modular and scaleable nuclear reactors (thorium and otherwise). I supported the one candidate in 2020 who I'm aware of backing investment in new nuclear reactors AND thorium reactors. I'll continue to do so in the future.

But saying "I don't support addressing climate change unless everyone else who wants to address climate change agrees with my on the strategy for doing so" is the very definition of cutting off you nose to spite your face. There are lots of stupid people out there in the world and unfortunately some forms of political activism tends to concentrate them because it lets them interpret any disagreement with them about facts or logic to be "you're one of those bad people who believes the exact opposite of everything I believe." Don't let your own views be dictated by just doing the exact opposite of whatever the people you don't like want, or you're placing yourself just as much under their power as if you do whatever they want you to do.

0.2 is a rounding error in their models and is not statistically significant. The #s all came out of the Paris Accord 6 years ago and was the 2100 #. Remember the US is only ~15% of CO2 today and rapidly dropping as a share of the tota - this is not like back in 1980s when scientist first started saying we had 5, 10 years left when the US was over 1/3 of CO2 share in the world. I haven't saved them but will look for them this week and post them here but you can probably find it with some googling.

To your last point, I disagree. You are basically advocating whats called "catching a falling knive" - it doesn't matter what I do - in fact it doesn't matter what the entire western world does. The western world is around 28% of CO2 and the rest of the world is 72%. If the ROW goes up 300% in the next 70 years - which is likely - anything the one billion people in the western world (even if you could rally every person in every western country) can do will be minimal impact when 7 billion people are rapidly growing their Co2 footprint. Worse, we'll have eaten all the costs (both taxes and lost production to overseas) while simultanously receiving the least benefit from reducing CO2. Rather than spend tens of trillions of dollars to have a stupidly small impact on temperatures in the future, Western society would be much better off spending money on cost, life and environmental mitigation (there are many scientists that have covered this but this gets little press/political power). Plus, without Thorium nuclear, there is no way for the western world to get to zero carbon anyway. Alternative energy sources will never, ever get us there and require destroying much of the earth to get the components for it at any rate.

That said, I am all for not wasting in general (at the very least, it saves money and hopefully does some environmental good), I am just a lot more pragmatic and realistic than dogma expoused by either side on a lot of topics that are usually more politically motivated than data and science driven.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2021, 07:22:44 AM »
Remember the US is only ~15% of CO2 today and rapidly dropping as a share of the total

This is not true when you count the consumption of all the items that are being made out of country.

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
Remember the US is only ~15% of CO2 today and rapidly dropping as a share of the total

This is not true when you count the consumption of all the items that are being made out of country.

Only marginally when adjusted for imports *and exports* (yes, we export a lot of stuff). Imports are around 14.5% of GDP and exports are 11.5% of GDP, so our share is probably 0.4-0.5% (~3-4% higher than stated, net) or so higher than 15% when adjusted for where the item is consumed.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2021, 09:08:50 AM »
Only marginally when adjusted for imports *and exports* (yes, we export a lot of stuff). Imports are around 14.5% of GDP and exports are 11.5% of GDP, so our share is probably 0.4-0.5% (~3-4% higher than stated, net) or so higher than 15% when adjusted for where the item is consumed.
While just a tiny fraction of GDP, U.S. agriculture CO2 emissions are roughly half of industrial emissions [1], so if the massive amount of CO2 emissions associated with exported  soybeans, beef, veal, pork, poultry [2] are removed from the CO2 ledger then the US might be less than 15% of global total.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2021, 09:50:05 AM »
Meanwhile much of the rest of the world; Russia, China, Mexico, etc. don't give a rip and will enjoy the benefits of cheap fossil fuels, while we get regulated into paying thru the nose for our needs.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2021, 10:57:45 AM »
Meanwhile much of the rest of the world; Russia, China, Mexico, etc. don't give a rip and will enjoy the benefits of cheap fossil fuels, while we get regulated into paying thru the nose for our needs.

The reality doesn’t match up with your perception. The US remains one of the cheapest places to purchase energy, particularly those derived from fossil fuels. We could add a 50¢ “carbon tax” on every gallon of gasoline sold and still have cheaper fuel than Mexico or China (or the UK or France or Spain Or Canada or …)

It’s also odd to suggest these others countries - China in particular - “don’t give a rip” about fossil fuels. They have far more than we do, and are converting far faster than us.

Regardless, we are all suffering the impacts, some more than others.

magus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2021, 12:04:59 PM »

The reality doesn’t match up with your perception. The US remains one of the cheapest places to purchase energy, particularly those derived from fossil fuels. We could add a 50¢ “carbon tax” on every gallon of gasoline sold and still have cheaper fuel than Mexico or China (or the UK or France or Spain Or Canada or …)

It’s also odd to suggest these others countries - China in particular - “don’t give a rip” about fossil fuels. They have far more than we do, and are converting far faster than us.

Regardless, we are all suffering the impacts, some more than others.

Electricity is a bigger deal generally where most of the world is using coal and other carbon, and mexico and china are about half the cost per KWH as the US.
https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Mexico/electricity_prices/  (scroll down to bottom to get KWH cost by country)

Even with "cheap" gasoline in the US, gasoline and diesel (trucks largely in US) combined are only ~25% of CO2 produced by the US, with 75% of CO2 coming elsewhere. Put another way, even if everyone drove electric vehicles, including all trucks, and every power plant was nuclear, it would only reduce our CO2 in the US by 25% - and of course neither of those things are possible.

One thing to keep in mind with gas in the US is even though the per gallon cost is lower here, distances driven in the US are higher compared to Europe so the cost for a single driving trip is actually higher in the US than in most of Europe.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:12:45 PM by magus »