Author Topic: Class of 2016  (Read 133788 times)

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
Re: Class of 2016
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »
2016 is shaping up to be a momentous year for me...I'm still officially undecided, but hoping/planning to pull the plug July 1. 

If my plan to start an apprenticeship in what I'm really passionate about works out (to support a part-time hobby-job at home), and the market doesn't totally crater, I'm out.  DW will keep working her job which she enjoys (and as she says, she'd end up doing someting similar as a volunteer if she quit).  I'm keeping mum about it until the 11th hour to provide myself with some flexibility.  If my colleagues ask, I'll be honest and tell them - "I'm not sure I will be here next year, so don't count on it, but I really don't know yet."  I'm also doing the legwork to not screw anyone by my absence for next year.

It would be really easy to justify OMY in many ways, but I really want out, plus I don't want to go through the mental/emotional drama of "the last year of my career" and the decision to pull the plug all over again.  It has only heightened the dysfunctional habit of rehearsing why my career turned out to be so unsatisfying and all the things I don't like about my work (along with the thoughts that I can/should make the most out of the priviledge of being a tenured full professor at a relatively young age).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:07:20 AM by spokey doke »

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2016, 10:14:41 AM »
I am currently planning to quit my job, sometime from July 1, 2016 to November 26, 2016.  I will be either age 29 or 30, if my current plan comes to fruition. 

There are rather large financial incentives not to quit prior to July 1.  The first planned commitment that requires quitting my existing job does not start until December 1.

It is unlikely that I will need to work a "full-time-salaried-only-x-holidays-and-y-vacation-days-allowed" job again.  However, I do plan to work seasonal or part-time hobby jobs that I will enjoy. 

I have already started planning my first year of FIRE, in some detail.  Once I have all my plans organized and written down, I plan to create a journal on these forums to get feedback and advice from my fellow mustachians. Until then, it should suffice to say that a lot of bucket list items that I have been wanting to do for a long time will finally be achievable. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:20:58 PM by Cottonswab »

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 02, 2016, 11:06:31 AM »
I am currently planning to quit my job, sometime from July 1, 2016 to November 26, 2016.  I will be either age 29 or 30, if my current plan comes to fruition. 

There are rather large financial incentives not to quit prior to July 1.  The first planned commitment that requires quitting my existing job does not start until December 1.

It is unlikely that I will need to work a "full-time-salaried-only-x-holidays-and-y-vacation-days-allowed" job again.  However, I do plan to work seasonal or part-time hobby jobs that I will enjoy. 

I have already started planning my first year of FIRE, in some detail.  Once I have all my plans organized and written down, I plan to create a journal on these forums to get feedback and advice from my fellow mustachians. Until then, it should suffice to say that a lot of bucket list items that I have been wanting to do for a long time will finally be achievable.

Wow!  That is fantastic.  You know, I feel good about RE at 54, but at 29 or 30!

Funny thing came to mind and that is for younger folks it's almost good to RE because you won't get the creep of bills over the years (not all will, but many will succumb).  I see that many are RE on less than $30,000 and plenty to cover their bills.  My whittled down costs are more than three times that, and I am considered wise with money and frugal in my circle of family and friends.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2016, 12:58:41 PM »

I really like your phrasing that you won't need a "full-time-salaried-only-x-holidays-and-y-vacation-days-allowed" and that line of thinking, I might have to steal that quote in the future :)
I like the work that I do, and probably see myself doing some aspects of it in the future (but who knows), but I don't want to be forced by salary to have to do it at certain days and for certain number of hours to meet certain deadlines and goals.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #104 on: February 02, 2016, 04:20:14 PM »

I really like your phrasing that you won't need a "full-time-salaried-only-x-holidays-and-y-vacation-days-allowed" and that line of thinking, I might have to steal that quote in the future :)
I like the work that I do, and probably see myself doing some aspects of it in the future (but who knows), but I don't want to be forced by salary to have to do it at certain days and for certain number of hours to meet certain deadlines and goals.

Thanks!  It took me a good 25 minutes to revise that adjective to adequately express the type of freedom that I was looking for.

My dividend income from my investments should cover my base recurring expenses (food, shelter, medical, etc.), and my hobby jobs should cover my discretionary luxury expenses, without dipping into my investment principal.  The general idea is to scale the part time job income to match the level of luxury spending travel that I want to do.  Since my current level of desired luxury spending would be about $0k-$20k per year in excess of my investment income, it should not be difficult to cover this with part-time or seasonal work.  Ergo, in any given year:

Investment income + Hobby Job Employment Income > Expenses (excluding non-recurring items like education / certification, car replacement, home purchase, etc.)

So, as long as the value of my investments match or exceed inflation and I remain disciplined in limiting my spending, as described above, everything should be hunky-dory :)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2016, 08:24:02 AM »
My dividend income from my investments should cover my base recurring expenses (food, shelter, medical, etc.), and my hobby jobs should cover my discretionary luxury expenses, without dipping into my investment principal.  The general idea is to scale the part time job income to match the level of luxury spending travel that I want to do.  Since my current level of desired luxury spending would be about $0k-$20k per year in excess of my investment income, it should not be difficult to cover this with part-time or seasonal work.  Ergo, in any given year:

Investment income + Hobby Job Employment Income > Expenses (excluding non-recurring items like education / certification, car replacement, home purchase, etc.)

So, as long as the value of my investments match or exceed inflation and I remain disciplined in limiting my spending, as described above, everything should be hunky-dory :)

This is along the idea of what I am trying to achieve, go crush those goals !

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »

Depending on how much details you want to share, what is your hobby job and how do you estimate how much income you will bring in from that?
Estimating the income seems hard, until you've been doing it for a while.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2016, 10:14:26 AM »
I have a similar thing going (in real estate) where I plan to keep working indefinitely.
It's pretty easy to forecast a baseline income because almost all my business comes from my rental partnership reinvesting all its profits into new properties. This year (2nd full year) I should break $10K, possibly even net $10K (overhead is $2K). Next year it'll keep increasing.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2016, 01:35:25 AM »

Depending on how much details you want to share, what is your hobby job and how do you estimate how much income you will bring in from that?
Estimating the income seems hard, until you've been doing it for a while.

My currently planned hobby jobs include ski and climbing instruction / guiding.  Wages for entry- and mid- level workers in these types of jobs are relatively well known, but volume of work will be relatively uncertain for the first few years.  Typically entry level workers are only able to get work during the high seasons/ holiday periods. 

However, the important point is that even if I grossly overestimate my income from these jobs in the first few years, I will still be financially independent.  The important point here is that if I don't make as much money as I thought I would, the consequence is: one less pair fat powder skis in the quiver, one less personal trip to Nepal, etc.  Not the end of the world. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 05:30:25 PM by Cottonswab »

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
How's everyone handling the recent slide and the possibility of a bear market?  Anyone changing plans or are you still cool with pulling the trigger even with 10-15% less in your stache?
The market fluctuations are having an impact - persuading me to enact contingencies I'd rather have avoided.  My supervisor knows my plan to relocate.  This plan includes the possibility of remote, part-time work.  I'd rather walk away, but a bird in the hand...

There is a number on my spreadsheet that when reached means it's time to go.  It's been hovering $15-60K below the goal for the last two months.  I'd feel more confident surpassing it before calling it quits, but honestly, the number is a little arbitrary considering that I anticipate some money-making enterprises in the future and my wife plans to continue to work part-time for 1-2 more years.  Any drawdown is 12-24 months in the future.

Having typed this, I realize how conservative I'm being.  The market uncertainty magnifies that tendency.

AdrianC

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2016, 09:26:56 AM »
Age 49.

Self-employed engineering consultant for 15 years. Spouse quit work in 2007 to be a stay at home mom (though she's rarely home nowadays - does volunteer work now the kids are in school full time).

I had no concrete plans to FIRE. I enjoy my work for the most part, but it does involve a lot of time away from home. I just kept making hay while the sun was shining, and saving for the lean times. Well, the lean times are upon us. Work has dropped off a cliff. Plus I have, ahem, scaled back my marketing efforts, i.e. I haven't done any at all. So, I'm thinking 2016 will be my year to officially FIRE, or at least FIsemiRE. Coincides nicely with that big birthday (50).

I intend to turn down any project that would have me working during the kid's spring-break or summer vacations. The kids were off for a snow day this week and it was great to just take them sledding with no guilt, no client calls, no hurrying back to get back to work. That was nice!

Not very concerned about the markets. Been a net seller of equities the last couple of years. Wasn't finding much of interest. Would like lower valuations to be able to put some cash to work.

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: February 19, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »
I had no concrete plans to FIRE. I enjoy my work for the most part, but it does involve a lot of time away from home. I just kept making hay while the sun was shining, and saving for the lean times. Well, the lean times are upon us. Work has dropped off a cliff. Plus I have, ahem, scaled back my marketing efforts, i.e. I haven't done any at all. So, I'm thinking 2016 will be my year to officially FIRE, or at least FIsemiRE. Coincides nicely with that big birthday (50).

I intend to turn down any project that would have me working during the kid's spring-break or summer vacations. The kids were off for a snow day this week and it was great to just take them sledding with no guilt, no client calls, no hurrying back to get back to work. That was nice!
Sounds like a nice, natural glidepath to ER.

For me, it's beginning to feel like those lingering weeks before school lets out for summer vacation.  It's going to be impossible to get anything done when spring arrives.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2016, 12:08:19 PM »
We're delaying. The construction project is (of course) very late so there's no hope of a spring trip. I keep telling myself that I'm just moving assets from equities to real estate but it's still difficult to spend such a large amount of money.

Still working. It's growing increasingly tiresome but the checks do mean that I'll have to sell fewer stocks. My patience is wearing thin, though, especially after a recently hired coworker has turned out to be super-fucking-annoying.

One bright note is that the construction spending and additional time give us more credit cards to churn.

Cap_Scarlet

• Bristles
    • EarlyRetireFree
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2016, 12:16:25 PM »
I am counting down to 1 October which will see me actually leave on or before 30 June 2017 (but I suspect they will ask me to go sooner).

Financials are no problem but my biggest struggle is the mental one.  I've worked my way up the ladder and have what many would consider an enviable career (high status lots of money etc.).  I'm certainly not naive to think that I am indispensable and were I to drop dead tomorrow I imagine there would be some sadness for a week or so and then people would move on. 

I actually think the intellectual challenge is quite difficult to walk away from and I like some of the people I work with.  Of course the money is also a bit like a drug.

BUT the job is incredibly demanding and now that the kids have left home my BH has a lot more time on her hands.  Because of the job we've moved a lot and our social life is pretty minimal (generally because I'm away most of the week and so tired at weekends it hard to do anything other than veg out).

So ....to pull the plug would be a massive change

Who knows what we will eventually decide :-)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
Well, get some hobbies, start taking classes, or find a new social group.
I'm so busy outside of work that the only thing I'll miss are the coworkers I like.

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »
Just made an offer on a house in our LCOL area.  Closing on our new home is the last step before I have the option to FIRE.  Remote, part-time work remains a possibility.  Cfiresim is showing 100% chance of success over 30 and 40 years at spending 20% higher than our current without additional income.  Everything is falling into place.

How's everybody else doing?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:37 AM »
Giving notice tomorrow...

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:02 PM »
AWESOME!  What a great thing to get this far and be so close So Close!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »
Hell yeah! High fives!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »

Yay, will be thinking of you! Let us know how it went!

Just made an offer on a house in our LCOL area.  Closing on our new home is the last step before I have the option to FIRE.  Remote, part-time work remains a possibility.  Cfiresim is showing 100% chance of success over 30 and 40 years at spending 20% higher than our current without additional income.  Everything is falling into place.

Congratulations, that sounds wonderful!

How's everybody else doing?

Hanging in there! CFIREsim usually gives me 98 ish %, sometimes 96%, I'll take it.
I wish it were 100%, but I am still astonishingly calm despite big swings in the portfolio.
I still have some rebalancing to do, to get to my final allocation.

Other than that, I am currently making a PreFIRE todo list, scheduling dental cleanings, wellwoman exams and that kind of stuff.
Bought a cell phone so I can back up contacts and am getting rid of more stuff.

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2016, 01:07:22 PM »
Congratulations!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  I'm giving the blow by blow account in my journal (link below) if anyone is interested!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
Thanks, everyone!  I'm giving the blow by blow account in my journal (link below) if anyone is interested!
Did you hasten your departure? For some reason I thought your were quitting later in the year.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »
Did you hasten your departure? For some reason I thought your were quitting later in the year.

No, I did kick it out last year though.  I am giving them 4 weeks notice, April 1st should be my last day. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2016, 03:53:01 PM »
So Close! A fitting name...

Off to read another journal now. I saw it's only 3 pages long so easy to catch up with.

My project is ending, my internal job request didn't pan out...I have no idea what I'm doing the rest of this year. Heard rumors of a voluntary severance package in the 2nd quarter so put some feelers out there to people in the know. It would be perfect timing. In the meantime, I'm using some PTO days here and there for 3 day weekends /4 day work weeks. Also monitoring my accounts to see how they are weathering the stock market storms.

Also used my FU attitude to prevent movíng ONE CUBE OVER as another group is moving to our area. I just flat out said it was ridiculous and I wouldn't redecorate. I have a very lively decorated cube and thought it wouldn't be worth it to redecorate and it was my minor form of protest. Manager got scared and just told me I wouldn't have to move because I complained. A minor FU money win...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:57:55 PM by Daisy »

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
Hanging in there! CFIREsim usually gives me 98 ish %, sometimes 96%, I'll take it.
I wish it were 100%, but I am still astonishingly calm despite big swings in the portfolio.
I agree with the commonly held notion that anything above 80% is false confidence.  100% is not much different from 96-98%.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
How's everyone handling the recent slide and the possibility of a bear market?  Anyone changing plans or are you still cool with pulling the trigger even with 10-15% less in your stache?
There is a number on my spreadsheet that when reached means it's time to go.  It's been hovering $15-60K below the goal for the last two months.  I'd feel more confident surpassing it before calling it quits, but honestly, the number is a little arbitrary considering that I anticipate some money-making enterprises in the future and my wife plans to continue to work part-time for 1-2 more years.  Any drawdown is 12-24 months in the future.

Having typed this, I realize how conservative I'm being.  The market uncertainty magnifies that tendency.
[/quote]

This is basically me right now...cfiresim gives me 98% success with current numbers, but a few months ago it was 100%.  We'll see what happens if things really crater before my July 1 date...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2016, 04:55:32 AM »
I will almost definitely delay if the market tanks, but out of greed (not insecurity). Greed on behalf of all the people I could help... hehe

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »
Just made an offer on a house in our LCOL area.  Closing on our new home is the last step before I have the option to FIRE.
Offer is accepted; contract is signed.  Inspection is scheduled.  Closing early April, if all goes well.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2016, 08:03:15 PM »
Just made an offer on a house in our LCOL area.  Closing on our new home is the last step before I have the option to FIRE.
Offer is accepted; contract is signed.  Inspection is scheduled.  Closing early April, if all goes well.
Grats!!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »

Yay! Hope inspection goes smoothly!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »
I had to sit through another BS meeting today and on top of that got yelled at.
DH saw me in tears after it was over (I work from home) and said no amount of Bonus is worth this,
just resign!

So I am going to sleep over this, but I may pull the plug earlier than I originally thought!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2016, 08:14:47 PM »
Sounds like shit! My job isn't that bad now, but back when I used to have days like that, those were the days that made me find MMM... hehehe

opnfld

• Stubble
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2016, 09:44:16 AM »
I had to sit through another BS meeting today and on top of that got yelled at.
DH saw me in tears after it was over (I work from home) and said no amount of Bonus is worth this,
just resign!

So I am going to sleep over this, but I may pull the plug earlier than I originally thought!
I'm sorry to hear you are suffering abuse.  Workplace culture is so strange - yelled at in exchange for money.  The path to FI reveals the dysfunctional nature of the employee-employer relationship in such stark relief. 

I hope you can hang in there as long as you need to (but not longer).

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2016, 12:05:48 PM »
"...no amount of Bonus is worth this, just resign!

What's the stache look like in terms of expenses?  How much is the bonus?  When is it paid out?   If the timeline is short enough you could just be sick and/or on vacation on those particular meeting days?  Did you feel the need to work a notice?  Or do you think you would just walk the day you get your bonus check?  What happens if you tell the yeller to go eff him/herself?

I held on for mine but I don't get yelled at either.  The one time someone tried I fired back and they cut that shit out.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
I actually am talking back to the yeller, I don't think it's appropriate behaviour.
I did also document the yelling in an email (one of several I have had to send on the topic).

The stash is ok, but the bonus is another year of bare bone living expenses and staying through 5/1 will allow me to max out 401k
for this year too, plus use my other benefits to get stuff organised (legal plan for will, HRA for various checkups etc.).

I'll try to avoid him, as much as I can. I don't want to stiff my colleagues, with whom I have worked for a long time.
I'll just come here and rant once in a while!!
Thanks for listening!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:13:32 PM by FrugalZony »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2016, 07:27:23 AM »
I actually am talking back to the yeller, I don't think it's appropriate behaviour.
I did however document the yelling in an email (one of several I have had to send on the topic).

The stash is ok, but the bonus is another year of bare bone living expenses and staying through 5/1 will allow me to max out 401k
for this year too, plus use my other benefits to get stuff organised (legal plan for will, HRA for various checkups etc.).

I'll try to avoid him, as much as I can. I don't want to stiff my colleagues, with whom I have worked for a long time.
I'll just come here and rant once in a while!!
Thanks for listening!!

35+- days of work for a year's worth of living expenses.  Sounds like it would be worth it.  Hang in there!  What better FU than to walk out the door with 5 figures of his budget in your pocket!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2016, 08:30:52 AM »
Yesterday my boss came over and asked about my fabled countdown. For the last 6+ months I've had a post-it notepad on my desk counting down the days until I leave. It's no secret amongst my teammates that I intend to depart soon. Speaking of which, I forgot to pull of the top sheet and write the next lowest number today! Only 111 more days, 66 of them working, until I peace out.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2016, 03:12:44 PM »
35+- days of work for a year's worth of living expenses.  Sounds like it would be worth it.  Hang in there!  What better FU than to walk out the door with 5 figures of his budget in your pocket!
Thanks! I got the Bonus letter this morning, money will post next week. It's actually even a bit more than I thought. YAY!

I already did hand in vacation for May a couple of weeks ago. I don't want to risk a "business necessity cancellation" if I resign on 5/1
So I may end up putting in notice 5/16 after my return if I can manage to stay that long.
May monthly yelling meeting will be during my vacation, soooo sorry I won't be able to attend.
April monthly yelling meeting, we'll see what I'll do about that one.....but it looks like I'll be
on a plane that morning, unfortunately....too bad, so if he wants to get my update on my projects, he'll have to call me personally later in the week to get it...normally he's more civil in one on one meetings, for whatever reason....

Hanging in there my friends, hanging in there!!

The ironic thing is, my employer just won another award for being a great employer yada yada...
And I do agree, it is a GREAT company to work for, with awesome benefits, that gave me many great opportunities
during my career. I have wonderful colleagues, a few of which I am honored to call friends! In a way I'll be very sad to go...
The old saying "people don't leave companies, people leave managers" is very true in my case!

StetsTerhune

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2016, 05:13:42 PM »
This is such a great thread, so pleased I get to be a part of it.

My annual bonus hit my bank account this morning, and I had another decent size bonus approved as of this afternoon (which should hit my paycheck 2 weeks from now). Basically, as of my paycheck in 2 weeks, every specific thing I'm waiting for to quit will have happened.

I don't have any strong reason to quit until mid-June, and I'll almost certainly stay until then, but it's such an amazing feeling knowing that there's no real reason I can't give my notice at any moment now. Knowing that the amount of bullshit I'm willing to put up with at work has now been reduced to zero.

wynr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2016, 03:16:55 PM »
I will be 54 years old in April, so I'm thinking about making my birthday also be my retirement day.

I have already talked to my boss about it, targeting mid year (summer vacation for the wife and kids).  With the stock market recovering the financials are looking good.  But it does feel scary to take that leap, and turn off the firehose of cash!

There is a lot for me to do: repair/upgrade projects around the house, hobbies that I enjoy, a side project doing some circuit design.  Lots of good stuff!  Will be nice to have a mix of physical and mental challanges that I can switch between.

Still working on transferring accounts (after tax, IRA's, 401k, etc) into Vanguard.

Reading this thread is very inspirational, and I can identify with a lot of the situations.

Thanks,
wynr

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »
I will be 54 years old in April, so I'm thinking about making my birthday also be my retirement day.

Make sure you check what the best day is to retire - I know with my husband's job, for instance, it makes a difference in his retirement pay or taxes or something if he retires on the first of a month, the last day of a month, etc.  (for some reason that I don't remember).

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »
@wynr and Jakejake ---April 1st would be confusing to some.    (April Fools day is a day in the USA where all sorts of spoofs and jokes are played, and apparently in lots of other countries too according to Wikipedia).

Any retirement day could be confusing to non-mustashians :-)   

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2016, 02:20:11 PM »
Paid my taxes this weekend so I'm officially owning up to OMY and moving out of the Class of 2016 and into 2018.    It may end up being 2017 but I rather not under deliver again and just acknowledge that for now I'm riding the SWAMI wave.

Major reasons for pushing RE out year(s):
- like my current job & team
- not retiring 'to' something fears
- career bucket list items not checked off
- market performance/safety margin concerns

All that said, the joy and relief of an FI life means knowing that I'll never again have to hate my life to the extent that I was 'crying in the pool' at the thought of going back to work while on vacation. 

FI is pretty awesome even without pulling the RE plug. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2016, 02:36:25 PM »
Paid my taxes this weekend so I'm officially owning up to OMY and moving out of the Class of 2016 and into 2018.    It may end up being 2017 but I rather not under deliver again and just acknowledge that for now I'm riding the SWAMI wave.

Major reasons for pushing RE out year(s):
- like my current job & team
- not retiring 'to' something fears
- career bucket list items not checked off
- market performance/safety margin concerns

All that said, the joy and relief of an FI life means knowing that I'll never again have to hate my life to the extent that I was 'crying in the pool' at the thought of going back to work while on vacation. 

FI is pretty awesome even without pulling the RE plug.
Was the tax hit bigger than expected? I'd imagine that'd be a downer. I got lucky this year, but next year will probably hurt... income has risen substantially and we are blowing the tIRA ceiling for sure. I will take advantage of the grace period for fixing my withholding, which probably means owing thousands next time around.

Your OMY reasons are legit, and they pretty well echo the reasons I'm looking at mid-'17 now. I'm actually happy with my job (largely because I'm not stuck here any more*) and there is a lot of interesting stuff that will happen here in the next year if I stick around. Market uncertainty actually would not stop me from a risk standpoint, but I have considered that I'd be tempted to stay on the clock, double down on cost cutting, and buy the shit out of the market just to take advantage of the opportunity - for the fun of it (yes, I love investing) and to fund charitable causes later on in life.

*Not FI, but our combined household spending could be covered just by DW's paycheck OR my PT work... FT paycheck is 100% invested.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2016, 02:57:04 PM »
60 more working days, and that's if I don't decide to give them the deuces early. Having serious motivation issues at this point.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:19:15 PM by Mr. Green »

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2016, 04:13:34 PM »
I almost fell victim to Three More Years - my old job from 16 years ago has an opening, only two applicants, the first rejected the offer and I haven't heard the status of the other yet.

The thing is, VERY few people are qualified for that field in my area (counterintel). The salary is now over double what it was when I left; the minipension from when I had that job is based on my high three years. So when I quit my teaching job in June, if the mystery second person also turns down the job and I step into it, the salary for three years plus doubling the pension rate is a half million dollars over the course of my life - for three years work. Whereas right now, I make 50k.

But I already decided I can retire, and I am in the mindset of retiring. I really wish I hadn't even heard of the old job opening up again, so I don't have to think about if I'm making a stupid decision.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2016, 04:54:01 PM »
Is it only worth doing if you do all three years? Seems like your hi-3 would still go up a meaningful amount in less time.
I'm a shameless idealist myself, and FIRE is as much about charity work and philanthropy as anything, so I'd think hard about it. But you may have different priorities. Don't do it just for the money if the money won't add happiness to your life.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2016, 07:41:28 AM »
Can I FIRE now? Work has become a PITA.

(Yeah, I know. Math, savings, 4% rule, etc. But sometimes you just want want it to be true, even if it isn't yet.)

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2016, 08:02:18 AM »
Yes you can, but just yell "damn the torpedoes! before you go.

Hang in there. It'll come and be even sweeter when it does for the troubles you endure today.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!