Author Topic: Cheapest way to get an iPhone 6S or plus?  (Read 71504 times)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cheapest way to get an iPhone 6S or plus?
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: February 18, 2016, 03:55:55 PM »
Maybe different, but Apples stance on them ala their argument is basically the same in that they it was all about security and privacy....although we all know the Error 53 was entirely about limiting choice, controlling their customers, and ensuring that their proprietary technology stays that way.   Either way the "bricking" of the phone was supposedly permanent - ie irreversible under any means and yet they fixed it rather quickly once it hit the media and they got sued. 

I lock my car door due to "security and privacy", but that doesn't make it "basically the same". This isn't rocket science, but it's more complex than you make it sound.

Error 53 bricking was never permanent, you just sent your phone to Apple or an authorized repair person (didn't have to be apple), they replaced the sensor with a sensor that is verified by the phone as correct, which came at a higher price than replacing the sensor without verification. The phone would then go to the unlock screen and you unlock the phone as usual. That is just simply different than allowing unlimited unlock codes to be attempted.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: February 18, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
Apple telephones for me are like fancy restaurants - my employer has always (over)paid for these on my behalf.   When I see how little value they deliver, it's hard for me to imagine paying myself.  I reckon when I retire I will switch to Android with no data plan; wifi only.  And leave fine dining behind except the very few restaurants which are actually worth the extra coin.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »
I like Cuban's view on it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-cuban/apple-fbi-privacy_b_9263142.html

Good grief, what a bunch of bunk.

"I'm not saying there isn't risk of unintended consequences."

Are you kidding me? That's the whole point! Once you create a back door someone else will figure out how to get there. That's a hell of a lot of "unintended consequences"...

"What if Apple had started a business that charged $100 to unbrick stolen phones ? Would anyone have complained ? No one but the most astute privacy advocates would even notice. No one in the general public would care. No one would be talking about it or debating it. It would be a non-event."

Are you double fucking kidding me??? We aren't talking about unbricking deleted phones, we are talking about unlocking for the purpose of accessing the information in the phone. And if Apple provided a service to unlock stolen phones so the thief could get at the information inside, even at $100 a pop, you can bet your ass it would be an event. I'm astounded by the lack of understanding of privacy and security displayed in this article.

To be honest I get his point, trying to find middle ground, I just don't buy it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:15:08 PM by James »

chillyphilly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2016, 05:53:26 PM »
Is this card not available anymore?

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2016, 07:41:11 PM »

Seriously?  Four years?  Is anyone here actually using a 4 year old smartphone?

Seriously.  Using my 4s still without a problem (bought early 2012, and it was my first smartphone).  Apps work, calls great, text, all good.  Am on the lookout for a deal to upgrade to 6/s etc should the thing become a brick, but in the meantime, continuing to decrease my per day costs.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »
Apple telephones for me are like fancy restaurants - my employer has always (over)paid for these on my behalf.   When I see how little value they deliver, it's hard for me to imagine paying myself.  I reckon when I retire I will switch to Android with no data plan; wifi only.  And leave fine dining behind except the very few restaurants which are actually worth the extra coin.

I've always had low quality phones. Now work has given me an iPhone 6. I really don't see the point. It's just a waste of money.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!