Author Topic: Cheapest way to get an iPhone 6S or plus?  (Read 71438 times)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Cheapest way to get an iPhone 6S or plus?
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »
So, aren't they converting the final $650 balance into 0%? Did you talk to them before leaving the final $650 balance pending?
[/quote]

The $650 is staying at 0%, but any purchase that were made during the grace period for that payment start accruing interest right away..

Example based on hypothetica rate/amounts
11/15......$1000 (Statement Balance)
12/1........$1000 (New Purchases)
12/2........$350 (payment within 23 day grace period, and leave $650 ATT purchase)
12/2........$1650 (expected statement balance)

12/15......$1,658.22 (Next statement with New Balance = $1000-350+1000+(1000*21%/365*15 days outsanding)...so no interest on the $650 but no grace on new purchases.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »
Just letting you all know that they "F*# you at the drive thru!"

Just got my 2nd citi bill and it had interest on it....WTF?  Called citi and they said that because the balance wasn't paid off in FULL that daily interest charges apply to all balances including NEW purchases so now grace period if you leave the 0% promo purchase outstanding.  If like me you went this route....send a payment immediately to reduce the damage...

My point exactly. This is what happens when you make a deal with the devil. I'm not taking any delight in saying, "I told you so," but...

Yup....shame on me for not paying it off like I normally would....just wanted to keep the balance out there for when the credit comes in so I can stop using the card sooner.... cost me $10 to learn the hard way. 

You ultimately have to fulfill all AT&T contractual obligations when buying the handset in order to qualify for the rebate, and there's a lot of loopholes that both AT&T and Citi have to both maximize the amount of money extracted for playing the game to begin with, and to also ultimately screw people out of receiving the rebate at all.
[snip]
Anyone expecting a fair shake on this rebate out of two of the slimiest businesses on the planet is being naive at best....

Jury still out on this one....but I don't envision an issue receiving it and I didn't play any games with ATT....still active, don't care cause work pays the bill.

militaryincome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2015, 03:02:18 AM »
Does anyone know if they will prorate the annual fee if you cancel the card in less than a year?

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »
Does anyone know if they will prorate the annual fee if you cancel the card in less than a year?

Nope, that is in the TOS, they don't refund or prorate the annual fee.

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »
I cancelled my service after 20 days.  I don't believe it mattered if it was 15, 20, or 25+ days based on the TOS I read, but my phone number is now cancelled. 

When I talked to them, they said their system hadn't acknowledged the receipt I faxed to them on 12/7 (it had been about 12 days since I faxed it).  Recall, I only had to do this because I was on Cricket and it prevented me from ordering the phone online.  I had to go into a store, purchse the phone, get a physical receipt and fax it in.

I'm still working on getting that acknowledgement, but other than that, so far so good.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: December 25, 2015, 01:12:36 PM »
Oh I should add my data points.

Friday, Oct 30th: We applied for the AT&T credit card
Monday, Nov 9th: received the At&T card (10 days later) and activated it
Tuesday, Nov 10th: ordered new iPhone 6S 64G for $749 (incl taxes it was $794.99)By the way, the link on the Citi website was NOT intuitive to locate. I searched and searched and searched, getting very frustrated. Finally, I actually watched the "new features" slideshow. Then it became obvious that I was looking for a small line of text underneath my CC account details that should be on the main account details screen.

I also set up a Plenti account (in the hopes of earning some Plenti points) but have not been able to connect it yet. Since I am a new AT&T customer, I do not have an online account yet. I have to wait until they assign me a number (which they hadn't as of last night). I'm hopeful that after I get a phone number and set up my online account that I can connect my Plenti account to it and I will get the points for setting up a new phone line. That chat agent says it should work, but I'm not holding my breath.

Everything is all set up now so here are my updated data points :)

Friday, Oct 30th: We applied for the AT&T credit card

Monday, Nov 9th: received the At&T card (10 days later) and activated it

Tuesday, Nov 10th: ordered new iPhone 6S 64G for $749 (incl taxes it was $794.99). Could not set up online account until we had the phone number assigned.

Thursday, Nov 12th: Phone arrives!!! I switched it on (not thinking), which immediately activates it.
Got worried about whether I could get it unlocked immediately (turned out to be a non-issue). We went online to do the following:

1. We go online to request it unlocked. First request was denied (email arrived immediately but I can't remember the message - I think related to our account ID).

2. We fix the error and a few minutes later, resubmitted the request for unlocking. Immediately received a "congratulations" email saying: "Once you have received the email confirming AT&T has approved and processed your unlock request, follow these instructions to complete the unlock for your device." We waited for another email. Nothing arrives.

3. In the meantime, we set up our online account and linked it with Plenti (we'll see if we get the Plenti points - I'm still not convinced lol)

Friday, November 13th: We called and were told that was the confirmation email that approved our request. Just follow the instructions (basically, leave the SIM in, backup the phone, delete all info, then restore from backup). So we do (I would suggest not setting ANYTHING up on the phone until you unlock it. That way, you don't have to bother with backing it up. We had been too excited the night before and had set up a bunch of stuff on the phone). Afterwards, we weren't sure how to make sure it had actually worked. We called Apple Support who got us to check the "about us", which still said AT&T. The Apple rep said this meant it wasn't unlocked. Confused, we called AT&T, who assured us the phone was now unlocked. FINALLY remembered we had another carrier's nano SIM in the house so we tested it, and sure enough - we were good.

*NOTE: after activating the phone, it immediately started consuming small amounts of data. We didn't realize until seeing it on our online account. I have now put it on airplane mode to be safe (I am in Canada and I don't want to take the chance of exorbitant roaming fees). I did get burned when I answered a call by accident (probably for the previous owner of the phone number assigned by AT&T).

Everything is now finalized so I am updating my data points.

Dec 7 - we cancelled the phone plan. We had been charged service from Nov 9 - 14 (pro-rated) because billing cycles seem to run from mid-month to mid-month. So an extra few bucks on top of the $45 for one month's service.

Dec 19 - we paid off the bill, leaving the $650 AT&T portion unpaid (crossed our fingers for it being interest-free as stated in the terms and conditions)

Dec 23 - our second billing cycle closed.

Dec 24 - our $650 credit from AT&T showed up, leaving us with a ZERO BALANCE! Yay!

We are all set with our "free" phone from AT&T!

Our total cost ended up being:
iPhone 6S 64GB - $750 + tax = $795
CC Annual Fee = $95
1 month + few days plan = $50
Subtotal = 940
Less credit = ($650)
TOTAL COST = $290

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:19 PM »
Boom!  Received my cell phone credit of $650 on 12/28.

Eazy Peezy

PathToFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #207 on: January 04, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
I'm very glad to have learned of this promotion here.

I usually just stick to my Citi Double Cash card but $650 toward a new iPhone was worth jumping through the hoops for me.

I got the Citi/ATT access more card last week.  Ordered a 6S and received it 2 days later. Unlocked (just because I like it unlocked) the phone even before opening the box with the IMEI printed on the box. I already use AT&T which is reimbursed by work so I'm replacing an iPhone 5 with the new phone.
I will put some reimbursable work expenses on the card to cover the rest of the $2K requirement probably within the first month.  I am greatly looking forward to receiving the $650 credit so I can cancel the card. 
I see that the deal is only available if you haven't canceled an account in the last 18 months. I hope to cancel the card then duplicate the process 18 month later if the deal is still available at that time in the future.
I'm hoping working this system will be the key to my deeply discounted iPhone upgrades for years to come.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: January 04, 2016, 09:17:30 AM »
$290 is still a lot for a phone.  I just bought one of these for $180 with no hoop jumping: http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

Someone tell me why I need an iPhone.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 04, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »
g

To satiate the consumerist desires for shiny new objects that have been planted in your soul by clever marketing executives in order to sustain their quarterly profit margins?

Because you're a chump, basically.

fiftyincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #210 on: January 04, 2016, 10:33:51 AM »
$290 is still a lot for a phone.  I just bought one of these for $180 with no hoop jumping: http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

You can do it for $145ish if you don't go over the $650 limit.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:13 AM »

You don't.

I agree it is a lot for a phone. We could have managed with a Moto G or any other basic smartphone. I have said all along, it's not a particularly thrifty purchase nor did I need the latest and greatest. My plan had been to buy an iPhone 5S used - which would have cost about $250 - $300.

We went with the iPhone because:

- a good camera was essential. I have no interest in a bulky good camera nor am I willing to carry an extra point and shoot. I like being able to upload our photos easily to social media. The iPhone 6S has a very nice camera we have been enjoying (I know it's not as good as a real camera, but it is great for our family snaps). The cheaper smartphones don't have cameras that are as good. The ones with a decent camera cost in the $300 range - which is what I paid for this phone.

- my teen kids really like the iPhone platform. We are sharing this fancypants gadget as a family, my DH uses it during the day, my teens in the evenings, and I use it on vacations. So yes, we paid extra for my kids to have a toy they like. My DD really likes iMovies and I really like the videos she produces. Plus, I think video editing is an awesome skill to develop - great for future jobs too.

- I paid $290 for the iPhone 6S (instead of under $200 for the iPhone 6) to get extra storage (64GB) for convenience and as a hedge against obsolescence. Decided it was worth a little more for a phone that would stay "current" longer. We do like using apps, etc and once a phone gets too outdated, it is hard to get good apps.

- I do like being able to use all the fancy apps. We have a TomTom app on the iPhone, which is invaluable since it doesn't require data for navigation. I get lost driving down a straight road - so it makes my life about a million times easier. I also like being able to quickly download discounts/coupons, earn points/freebies for downloading various apps, and generally appreciate the extra conveniences.

NONE of these are essential/critical. We thought about it, did a lot of research, reviewed our reasons - and made a conscious decision to spend on something that we enjoyed. I feel completely satisfied with the price we paid. That said, there is not a chance we would dish out $750 for this phone. At that price, it is absolutely not worth it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #212 on: January 04, 2016, 12:08:48 PM »
g

You don't need it.

That's also true of 99.9% of the things you own.  There's VERY few material possessions you actually need.

The correct questions are (off the top of my head, so wording may need to be tweaked, but it's along these lines):
"Will this add, or remove, value to my life?"
"Does this purchase align with my values?"
"Is this worth the cost in terms of time and money?"

This is true of any purchase.  Always good to reflect, purposefully, on your purchases and on your possessions.

The answers for me lead me to decide an iPhone does, indeed, add value, and is worth it, to me.  For many, it's not.  Think, and act, with purpose.  (Or, as William Ernest Henley said: Be not dumb, driven cattle.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Bertram

• Bristles
  • I'm not a chef
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2016, 07:40:46 AM »
The important thing is to get a mustachian phone cover to protect it from scratches:

http://i.imgur.com/ds7atYw.gifv

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2016, 07:42:39 AM »
The important thing is to get a mustachian phone cover to protect it from scratches:

http://i.imgur.com/ds7atYw.gifv

Hah!  That was hilarious!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »
Just updating for all, statement cycled and my credit was received without issue. 

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2016, 01:34:02 PM »
I guess I should toss in my final update. Used the card over the holidays and the $650 credit was applied when I reached the required level. Right now I have $250 credit on the card which I will use up, and then I will close the card.

Overall the experience reinforced the fact that I hate doing these deals. Even though everything went according to plan, it just leaves me feeling like a sucker. I don't mind feeling like a sucker occasionally, but overall I just don't enjoy the process of these things one bit. Having said that it all went according to plan, I was satisfied with the cost of the phone and the amount of work I put in to gain those savings, I just didn't like it and will continue to minimize the number of these deals I do. Eventually if I cut back from work I might set aside a small block of time to do things like this in order to fund travel, but not sure if it would be worth it to me in the stress it brings.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #217 on: January 27, 2016, 06:54:20 AM »
I guess I should toss in my final update. Used the card over the holidays and the $650 credit was applied when I reached the required level. Right now I have $250 credit on the card which I will use up, and then I will close the card.

Overall the experience reinforced the fact that I hate doing these deals. Even though everything went according to plan, it just leaves me feeling like a sucker. I don't mind feeling like a sucker occasionally, but overall I just don't enjoy the process of these things one bit. Having said that it all went according to plan, I was satisfied with the cost of the phone and the amount of work I put in to gain those savings, I just didn't like it and will continue to minimize the number of these deals I do. Eventually if I cut back from work I might set aside a small block of time to do things like this in order to fund travel, but not sure if it would be worth it to me in the stress it brings.

+1...while it did go as it should* it wasn't worth the aggravation of applying for a card, worrying about getting the spending in, worrying about when or if the credit would come in, etc....

*I did screw up by not understanding the interest policy when I paid off all but the $650, which I thought would be at 0% interest and it was kind of but not really as noted above in an earlier post...because of this I had to pay interest on charges over two statements and cost me a bit more than expected.  Lesson learned and further adds to the not worth the BS factor.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: January 27, 2016, 06:59:28 AM »
Got my $650 finally in 3rd statement. Thanks to rest of the guys who told not to keep balance seeing the 0%! I paid off full and now I have negative $145.
I finished all the minimum requirements within week of December but had a tensed 2 month wait with multiple calls to Citi!

Been there, done tons of credit card offers. But after quitting SD and joining MMM, things like these are surely stressful :D

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 27, 2016, 09:59:46 AM »
Oooh, thanks for all the updates. If I want to keep doing iOS app development after I quit my job I'm going to need an iPhone, and I wasn't looking forward to the cost. Keeping up my professional skills is probably worth it, just seems like a big investment.

ptgearguy

• Stubble
« Reply #220 on: January 28, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
Always amazing to see how people are so good at justifying crap they don't need. Even guys on this forum do it constantly.

Cheapest way to get the Iphone 6s or plus is to not get it.

If you MUST have an over priced Iphone, just get the last years model (or two years for the more frugal). If you get the mindset to always get last years model and see that as your new, it will save you thousands of dollars over your life. The same system can be applied to cameras, TVs etc.

Just remember that one year ago that phone was what gave you the strong desire to purchase.

Personally, I have a 2.5 year old blackberry. I survive just fine without all the newest apps. All I need is a phone, text, email and a browser (once and in a while). My phone has my bank app as well which is a nice bonus but I could survive without.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #221 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:33 AM »
Always amazing to see how people are so good at justifying crap they don't need. Even guys on this forum do it constantly.

If you MUST have an over priced Iphone, just get the last years model (or two years for the more frugal). If you get the mindset to always get last years model and see that as your new, it will save you thousands of dollars over your life. The same system can be applied to cameras, TVs etc.

Just remember that one year ago that phone was what gave you the strong desire to purchase.

Personally, I have a 2.5 year old blackberry. I survive just fine without all the newest apps. All I need is a phone, text, email and a browser (once and in a while). My phone has my bank app as well which is a nice bonus but I could survive without.

Sure.  We could all get by with almost anything.

Some luxuries we decide are worth it.  Like you did with your phone.

/shrug

:)

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #222 on: January 28, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

Sure.  We could all get by with almost anything.

Some luxuries we decide are worth it.  Like you did with your phone.

/shrug

:)

Yup....anything in life can be justified but making a conscious decision about a purchase is not the same thing.   I am sure ptgearguy have plenty of non-essentials in your life (Arebelspy already pointed out your phone)....what else are you guilty while passing judgment?  Car, eating anything that exceeds the bare basic essentials for nutrition, running sneakers.....?

Besides most of us that did this figured for a little effort we could get the latest phone at a cost that is less than a used phone at a time we did or were close to needing a new phone anyway....sorry sounds like I am justifying...ooops

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #223 on: January 28, 2016, 09:09:57 AM »

I don't think the concept of frugality means living with what you barely need to survive.

I like having nice things, all while savings 75% of my after tax income =)

ptgearguy

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: January 28, 2016, 10:22:07 PM »

I don't think the concept of frugality means living with what you barely need to survive.

I like having nice things, all while savings 75% of my after tax income =)

For sure, we all do it. I just really hate Iphone's and was in a bit of a bad mood. In all honesty the phone i got was before I started my new way of life. I had bought all sorts of crap I really could have been much smarter about. I really think my response was more directed to myself and my past stupidity more than at you guys here. Most of the time when people gripe about others it is a reflection of their own weaknesses past or present. I apologize for mine :)

wileyish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: January 28, 2016, 11:57:38 PM »
My iPhone 4 was a workhorse, but after four+ years it was starting to show some wear. I’m grateful for finding this thread as I was looking to spend around $200 for a used phone; instead I spent the same amount for a fancy new 6s that should last another 4 years.

This was my first foray into CC deals, so I approached it with trepidation. I do appreciate all of the previous posters who gave detailed information and forged the foggy frontier. For future readers, my data points are listed below. It was fairly straight forward and I don’t feel like I got hoodwinked during the process. It did involve a bit of time though.

11.20.15 (Friday)- Applied for Citi card - approved a few minutes later (kinda wild how quickly they can check on your finances).

11/28 (Saturday) - Card received and phone ordered (iPhone 6s, 16 GB - I store my stuff on my home box so I don’t need a ton of room on the phone).

12/3 (Thursday) - Phone delivered, unlock request placed (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock). Device still left in box (IMEI retrieved from the back of the box).

12/4 (Friday) - Unlock request not yet acknowledged. Requested again and the confirmation came moments later.

12/5 (Saturday) - Heck of a time activating ATT account. Support via online chat was (surprisingly) outstanding. Got it all set up, now started the wait for 15 days to deactivate the account.

12/27-28 (Sunday/Monday) - First I followed the YouTube instructions for cutting the micro SIM card to a nano SIM size. Easy enough. Then, what a nosebleed. The new phone would not connect to iTunes. Kept getting a message that “it” needed a newer version of iTunes (the error message didn’t specify whether “it” was the phone or my computer). When I checked for iTunes updates the system indicated it had the latest version. Ended up having to upgrade my home computer to the latest OS and then I could transfer the old 4s data to the new phone. Ugh, there is no way to cancel the ATT plan via the website. Ended up having a long chat session with two agents, the second of which tried to woo me to staying with their plan with lower rates. I don’t trust them, so I just kept saying, “I’d like to cancel the plan, please.” Worked after the fourth or fifth iteration.

11/28-1/3 - Normal spendy spendy to reach the minimum requirement, which was only achieved by the $650 rebate going towards the 2k required amount.

1/13/15 - REFUND!

1/22 - Citi card canceled.

Out of pocket costs:

95 - citi card annual fee
45 - ATT
9.96 - ATT fees and taxes
55.25 - Phone taxes and fees
Total - $205.21

The phone itself is a slippery little mofo. It feels like it wants to fly out of my hands. Other than that, it is fast and fits in well with my Apple eco-system at home (sorry Apple haters).

The old phone went to a neighborhood teen via the Buy Nothing Project.

Thanks OP for starting this thread.

dudde_devaru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »

Out of pocket costs:

45 - ATT
Total - $205.21

Wow! Guess you are the first one in this group to cancel the card so fast! What did you do with the Citi ThankYou Reward points?

I am looking for the best way (most profitable) way of cashing out my 8000 TYP

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
Got my $650 finally in 3rd statement. Thanks to rest of the guys who told not to keep balance seeing the 0%! I paid off full and now I have negative $145.
I finished all the minimum requirements within week of December but had a tensed 2 month wait with multiple calls to Citi!

Been there, done tons of credit card offers. But after quitting SD and joining MMM, things like these are surely stressful :D
This is me completely, but I'm STILL waiting for my credit. I already have my 3rd statement though and still not there. I do believe my issues was all in the timing of billing and fully expect to get the credit next month, but I just want to be DONE already.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2016, 03:32:47 PM »
My iPhone 4 was a workhorse, but after four+ years it was starting to show some wear. I’m grateful for finding this thread as I was looking to spend around $200 for a used phone; instead I spent the same amount for a fancy new 6s that should last another 4 years.

This was my first foray into CC deals, so I approached it with trepidation. I do appreciate all of the previous posters who gave detailed information and forged the foggy frontier. For future readers, my data points are listed below. It was fairly straight forward and I don’t feel like I got hoodwinked during the process. It did involve a bit of time though.

11.20.15 (Friday)- Applied for Citi card - approved a few minutes later (kinda wild how quickly they can check on your finances).

11/28 (Saturday) - Card received and phone ordered (iPhone 6s, 16 GB - I store my stuff on my home box so I don’t need a ton of room on the phone).

12/3 (Thursday) - Phone delivered, unlock request placed (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock). Device still left in box (IMEI retrieved from the back of the box).

12/4 (Friday) - Unlock request not yet acknowledged. Requested again and the confirmation came moments later.

12/5 (Saturday) - Heck of a time activating ATT account. Support via online chat was (surprisingly) outstanding. Got it all set up, now started the wait for 15 days to deactivate the account.

12/27-28 (Sunday/Monday) - First I followed the YouTube instructions for cutting the micro SIM card to a nano SIM size. Easy enough. Then, what a nosebleed. The new phone would not connect to iTunes. Kept getting a message that “it” needed a newer version of iTunes (the error message didn’t specify whether “it” was the phone or my computer). When I checked for iTunes updates the system indicated it had the latest version. Ended up having to upgrade my home computer to the latest OS and then I could transfer the old 4s data to the new phone. Ugh, there is no way to cancel the ATT plan via the website. Ended up having a long chat session with two agents, the second of which tried to woo me to staying with their plan with lower rates. I don’t trust them, so I just kept saying, “I’d like to cancel the plan, please.” Worked after the fourth or fifth iteration.

11/28-1/3 - Normal spendy spendy to reach the minimum requirement, which was only achieved by the $650 rebate going towards the 2k required amount.

1/13/15 - REFUND!

Out of pocket costs:

45 - ATT
Total - $205.21

The phone itself is a slippery little mofo. It feels like it wants to fly out of my hands. Other than that, it is fast and fits in well with my Apple eco-system at home (sorry Apple haters).

The old phone went to a neighborhood teen via the Buy Nothing Project.

Did you have to make any calls to Citi to confirm or accelerate the process?

I agree with everyone's sentiments on this deal, every time I think back on what I had to do I need to take a shower, I just feel really dirty afterwards.  Mind you I do a lot of travel hacking and going to hoops, I can't point out what it is about this particular offer.

wileyish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2016, 10:04:59 PM »

Wow! Guess you are the first one in this group to cancel the card so fast! What did you do with the Citi ThankYou Reward points?

I am looking for the best way (most profitable) way of cashing out my 8000 TYP

What? Oops, no I was just looking for the quickest exit ramp and did not pay attention to the extraneous offers from this card. Blind luck timing with the billing cycle, plus having this card over the holidays (big ol' dinners and other festive events) probably helped meeting the minimum spend requirements.

Did you have to make any calls to Citi to confirm or accelerate the process?

I agree with everyone's sentiments on this deal, every time I think back on what I had to do I need to take a shower, I just feel really dirty afterwards.  Mind you I do a lot of travel hacking and going to hoops, I can't point out what it is about this particular offer.

Nah, I just let it play out according to the TOS. Although today I did get a Citi "Welcome!" package in the mail. The confirmation email of ending the card contract should suffice if there is any dispute down the road.

But, yes, I am glad it is over and hope I do not have to play this game for another 4-5 years.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #230 on: February 10, 2016, 08:27:24 AM »
Resurrecting this thread to provide a helpful warning for everyone foolish enough to invest in one of these newer iPhones. Say hello to Error 53, Apple's new monopoly repair tax, all done in the name of "security".

Better hope you don't ever do damage to, need to repair, or replace your screen or home button on that overpriced moneypit of a phone... that or hope Apple will eventually reverse their policy.

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2016, 08:50:16 AM »
Resurrecting this thread to provide a helpful warning for everyone foolish enough to invest in one of these newer iPhones. Say hello to Error 53, Apple's new monopoly repair tax, all done in the name of "security".

Better hope you don't ever do damage to, need to repair, or replace your screen or home button on that overpriced moneypit of a phone... that or hope Apple will eventually reverse their policy.

I have an iPhone 4 that I use on Ting and is about to die.  I really would like to stay with an iPhone.  Would you recommend getting an refurbished iPhone 5?  I was considering doing this deal, but I'm not sure I would successfully navigate all the steps.... 

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2016, 11:19:06 AM »
I have an iPhone 4 that I use on Ting and is about to die.  I really would like to stay with an iPhone.  Would you recommend getting an refurbished iPhone 5?  I was considering doing this deal, but I'm not sure I would successfully navigate all the steps....

The Error 53 issue seems to only impact models with the stupid fingerprint scanner "security" feature (sorry, biometrics aren't real security - especially when copies of the verification method are left all over the device). It mostly seems to impact 6/6+/6s/6s+ models from what I've gathered, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually or hasn't already started to impact the 5s as well. This makes buying used a bit more risky as well as you don't know how something might have been repaired. The stock 5 and 5c, however, will probably be just fine.

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2016, 12:52:59 PM »

The Error 53 issue seems to only impact models with the stupid fingerprint scanner "security" feature (sorry, biometrics aren't real security - especially when copies of the verification method are left all over the device). It mostly seems to impact 6/6+/6s/6s+ models from what I've gathered, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually or hasn't already started to impact the 5s as well. This makes buying used a bit more risky as well as you don't know how something might have been repaired. The stock 5 and 5c, however, will probably be just fine.

Thank you!!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »

There is a solid and valid reason for the security concerns Apple has with non-official repair of the home button with fingerprint scanner. If they didn't block the sensor users could be giving their fingerprint data off to some other system in the phone or some other security risk. So I have no problem with Apple saying that is a security concern and taking action. Seems to me they could just go with a warning that the phone could be tampered with due to invalid sensor replacement, or turn off the fingerprint sensor, or some other fix. But to use quotes around the word security is less than honest. There is a real security issue, we just disagree with Apple on the appropriate fix and cant understand the reason to brick the phone phone.

But this type of repair is very rare, and the vast majority of people have access to official repair that doesn't invalidate the security and result in bricking the phone. Sure it would be expensive, but that is true for any modern complex device. Apple is no different than Samsung or others in that regard.

Nothing wrong with avoiding modern electronics and saving your money, but scare-mongering isn't called for. Simply understand all the costs and risks and make the decision that works for you.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2016, 03:27:20 PM »
Nothing wrong with avoiding modern electronics and saving your money, but scare-mongering isn't called for. Simply understand all the costs and risks and make the decision that works for you.

A couple things regarding your response.

Error 53 impacts more than just replacing the homescreen button. Replacing the touchscreen or the LCD panel risks potentially causing this problem as well. So can just dropping the phone. Also, saying that home screen button replacement is rare is a little silly. The mechanical buttons of an iPhone, outside of the screen shattering or the battery dying, are frequently the most likely to need repair or replacement long term. Additionally, many screen repair kits are sold complete with a replacement home button as it's easier to replace everything all at once.

As for the reason for using sarcastic scare quotes around the word security, again, two things. One, biometric fingerprints are a terrible security mechanism - you might as well use a four digit number password of 1 2 3 4. People who actually need tight device security and have a clue aren't likely to use it. Two, given both the hardware and OS involved, the sort of hardware security risk from replacing/repairing what is effectively a fingerprint camera (or even the cable) that could "spy" on you for the average Joe getting third party hardware support is ridiculous fearmongering itself, and worse, terrible engineering if it's designed in such a way as so that full system integrity can be compromised by replacing a single camera.

Apple has a decades long history of being very anti-DIY with their hardware, and using the excuse of a fingerprint reader that serves more as security theater than real security to brick $600+ phones not repaired by the mothership with no option of disabling or restoration is just straight up ugly. If any other company tried pulling this nonsense, no users would be found bending over backwards to apologize for and defend them for them doing such a thing.

But this type of repair is very rare, and the vast majority of people have access to official repair that doesn't invalidate the security and result in bricking the phone.

Tell that to iPhone users who are located in the other ~175 countries or more than 150 miles from one of only 472 stores globally and might need expedited repairs, such as with one of the most common repair needs, replacing a broken screen.

Or better still, tell that to the millions of iPhone users who do have access to the Apple Store but still won't get repairs done there either because of how expensive it is versus the guy in the kiosk there at the mall outside the Apple Store.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
I didn't defend the Error 53 bricking, nor did I say it was "just replacing the button". I defended the idea that Apple has a right to concern themselves with security, and since there is a real concern about biometric security, I can understand their desire to extend their concerns to the fingerprint sensor. They have made security a feature of their devices and if you don't think they are justified in that, or are not doing it the right way, there are many other phones to purchase. I agree Error 53 should be fixed and I assume they will limit the effect of Error 53 with an update, like they have with other issues, but of course I can't know that for sure.

"biometric fingerprints are a terrible security mechanism - you might as well use a four digit number password of 1 2 3 4." I'll disagree with you there, but I have no desire to run down that rabbit hole of debate so will leave that for another time.

I stand behind my comment that the vast majority of people have access to official repair, and that button issues are relatively rare. I agree that screen repairs are more frequent, but the screens are very tough and in my view should not be strongly considered. If you are breaking a screen you probably didn't have a decent case on it or treated it poorly. Accidents happen, but it isn't Apples job to make accidents cheap. Those that don't have decent access to Apple repair should make that a consideration in choosing their device. But trust me, Samsung and other products are not a bastion of easy repairability and long term function. We are not comparing Apple products to some nebulous perfect product, we are comparing it to what is available. There are trade offs to choosing Apple, and an issue like Error 53 is one among many issues to consider when choosing a device. I am not an apple fan boy, and I think the trade offs are very close to neutral between companies and devices, you pick your poison when choosing a fancypants device. If you can't afford it and it's not a priority then don't get a fancypants device.

I laugh that you suggest other companies don't "pull this nonsense". I hear this all the time in attacks on apple products, suggesting that other companies would "never" do or get away with the things Apple does. The truth is that apple is under much higher scrutiny, and other companies get away with as much and more shenanigans. That doesn't make a good defense of Apple, but it puts attacks in their right place. If you don't want to deal with complexity and pressure to upgrade devices and intentional outdating of devices and all the other games, then don't get a fancypants device in the first place. But once you decide to get one, and that is where the discussion here is, then you don't have a "perfect" option or company. All I ask is that complaints are even-handed. Yes Apple made a mistake with Error 53. Yes other companies make similar mistakes. Yes that is a reason to avoid modern electronics because companies, all companies, do things like this. But I don't choose to avoid fancypants devices and consider Apple to be just ahead of other devices when all is considered. (reliability, repair cost, longevity, UI, speed, ecosystem, initial cost, etc)  I highly respect others who disagree and go with other company devices, and at some point I may join them. And I absolutely agree with trying to force Apple to reconsider Error 53 current implementation, that is just wrong. But apple doing a few things wrong doesn't make some other choice right, it just gets added into the complex equation we each work through.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2016, 12:20:28 PM »
I didn't defend the Error 53 bricking, nor did I say it was "just replacing the button".
[snip]
 And I absolutely agree with trying to force Apple to reconsider Error 53 current implementation, that is just wrong. But apple doing a few things wrong doesn't make some other choice right, it just gets added into the complex equation we each work through.

If we're ultimately in agreement, why are you still basically defending Apple's position to do as they have (something that I pointed out doesn't really happen when other manufacturers pull this sort of nonsense - you don't exactly see Samsung apologists), and why are you picking bones with me for ultimately warning others about this legitimate concern to consider if they purchased or might purchase an iPhone in the first place?

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:47 PM »
Man, IP, you're bending the truth just a little.

I think we both agree that "error 53" was an extremely clumsy way to handle the problem.

However, can we also both agree on a few other points?

- The repair houses using improper parts, or not knowing how to do the repair properly, are primarily to blame
- There is a real issue with letting un-authorized / un-authenticated components to interface with the secure part of the phone
- Said components should be prevented from interfacing with the secure part of the phone

Also, you see tons of android fanboys (and even samsung fanboys). If you don't see fanboys for apple, android, microsoft, google, etc - then you may very well have some deep biases of your own, because you're likely thinking that people with whom you agree speak truth and people with whom you disagree are fanboys.

I'd say the real takeaway here is not to let random cheap outfits refurbish your $650+ phone; spend a couple extra bucks to get it done right. Also, don't use the cheapest springs and struts and timing belts you can find on ebay for your car. Also, don't use duct tape to fix your water heater at home. Penny wise, pound foolish...

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2016, 09:16:24 PM »
Man, IP, you're bending the truth just a little.

Where am I bending the truth exactly?

The part where I said that Apple's "security" design is terrible engineering?

The part where I stated that fingerprint biometrics are terrible security?

The part where I pointed out the most common repairs are capable of causing this problem?

How is it the repair houses' faults for Apple locking them out of the supply chain?

How is it the end users' fault for wanting to repair their devices on their own?

How is it the consumers' faults that the phone is so poorly engineered that they have to practically wrap it in OtterBox™ branded bubblewrap to keep the thing from breaking in day to day use to begin with?

So no, I'm sorry. I can't agree with your other points.

As for apologists versus fanboys... there's a very big line between the two. Fanboys are obnoxious zealots that can and do play the defend and excuse cards heavily, but I'm not talking about fanboys. I'm talking about apologists, people who have the equivalent of battered spouse syndrome with corporate overlords and consumer junk. "I hate this, it makes me miserable, but what're you gonna do? It's the only device I like, so I'm just going to put up with what they dish out, no matter how much it hurts. They told me they're doing it for my own good, so I guess it's okay."

I don't say this to belittle actual battered spouses, by the way. I say this to highlight exactly how foolish it is to defend crappy and abusive consumer practices from greedy corporations who are selling a device designed to bleed you of money in the first place, just to make excuses to keep using and consuming the device you yourself don't like. If the manufacturer can brick your phone for doing something it doesn't approve of, it's not a tool, they're pretty little shackles. If it was a tool, you'd have the freedom to use it how you want and need. Nobody's holding a gun to anyone's head telling them to buy these bloody things.

For crying out loud, all I did was warn iPhone users of the new problem and point out that it's this sort of corporate thinking that makes the iPhone specifically such an anti-mustachian moneypit. After all, there's no shortage of threads ON THESE VERY FORUMS of people bragging about fixing their own iPhones at home to save money. I thought it a reasonable thing to do, you know, alerting people in the very thread talking about how to buy an iPhone for as cheaply as possible... the exact same sort of cheap thinking that leads people to get repairs done at the kiosk instead of spending $200+ to repair the $700+ handset that they specifically jumped through hoops to buy for under $300, especially when for most people, a new $150 phone could still do everything they needed and more... if they even needed to buy a phone at all.

You can't do your own repairs now, it's for ridiculous reasons, and the very people that it impacts the most are likely the last to know, so I try to pass word. Instead, I get a doctor who takes issue with my supposed "scare-mongering" by responding with Apple fearmongering to justify the added cost and to normalize the act as something to be tolerated as a risk of using the fool thing in the first place.

I appreciate you trying to be sympathetic and play the mutual ground card, Gimp... I really do. I've tried to do it a few times myself over the years, but this thread is just absurd from stem to stern... and the fact that I'm getting flack for WARNING people about a legitimate problem borne out of greed, terrible engineering and comical security practices is just the cherry on top of an absurdest consumer trainwreck.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:24:04 PM by I.P. Daley »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2016, 02:47:46 AM »
Here's something interesting: https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

You might want to consider that being a little overzealous in protecting data is... well, exactly the sort of thing a person like you would usually be for. I imagine that it being an apple logo makes you against it.

Edit: I'm not going to respond to your other points because you're incapable and unwilling to listen to my arguments and change your mind. If I'm wrong, let me know, and I'll disagree with your points properly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:52:05 AM by gimp »

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2016, 07:36:39 AM »
Instead, I get a doctor who takes issue with my supposed "scare-mongering" by responding with Apple fearmongering to justify the added cost and to normalize the act as something to be tolerated as a risk of using the fool thing in the first place.[/font]

This is a good example of where you are "bending the truth". I did not respond with "Apple fearmongering". I believed you went to an extreme with your argument that wasn't warranted and I pointed that out. IN MY ORIGINAL RESPONSE I agreed with you that they shouldn't brick the phone, that wasn't the way to handle it, and they should fix it. How is that apple fearmongering??? I feel my response was balanced, which I feel is missing in your responses. You saw the "apologist" you wanted to see instead of someone who agrees with you to the great extent but doesn't go to your extreme.

If we're ultimately in agreement, why are you still basically defending Apple's position to do as they have (something that I pointed out doesn't really happen when other manufacturers pull this sort of nonsense - you don't exactly see Samsung apologists), and why are you picking bones with me for ultimately warning others about this legitimate concern to consider if they purchased or might purchase an iPhone in the first place?

As I said before, that is absolute bullshit. Other companies do everything Apple does, some go to much worse extent, and there are apologists for every company, most certainly Samsung, I know some personally. Apple is bigger and therefore has a bigger "fanboy/apologist" base and therefore are more visible. They also generate more hate than other companies because of those fanboys and their size. I don't care about any of that.

I never picked bones with warning, I agreed with you, I simply tried to balance it with the truth that there isn't any perfect option once you decide to go with a fancypants device. Something we have repeatedly said isn't necessary, you have repeatedly pointed out isn't necessary, and we have repeatedly agreed isn't necessary.

I'm not defending Apple, I'm defending the option of Apple in a sea of problematic options. And yes, for the millionth time, avoiding them all is certainly a good option.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 07:54:10 AM by James »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2016, 11:05:32 AM »
This isn't about Apple or iPhones, it's about hypocrisy and integrity. While doing the same consumer advocacy shtick that I always do, I've effectively been called a liar now by two people who haven't actually backed those claims up while I have only expanded and expounded upon the very statements brought into question.

It's very rare that I regret trying to help people, but this is one of those occasions where I genuinely do have regrets.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2016, 11:43:45 AM »
I didn't call you a liar. I disagreed with your stance, and I think you're bending things. I think you're unwilling to consider other options.

The main disagreement between us on this specific issue is that you don't see the replacement of these specific components as a security issue that has to be done right to ensure security. For someone as intelligent and well-read as you, this is mind-boggling. Why don't you? Do you not believe that a fake controller here can compromise the security of the entire phone?

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
This isn't about Apple or iPhones, it's about hypocrisy and integrity. While doing the same consumer advocacy shtick that I always do, I've effectively been called a liar now by two people who haven't actually backed those claims up while I have only expanded and expounded upon the very statements brought into question.

It's very rare that I regret trying to help people, but this is one of those occasions where I genuinely do have regrets.

I wish I lived in a world as simple and straightforward as you see it to be. Life is complex, there are shades of grey, there is good in with the bad and light with the dark. Your claims were no more backed up than my own. I'm happy to end this discussion, and I'm happy to have your opinions on this thread and in general. I consider you neither a liar nor the final say on this subject, we simply strongly disagree in areas that are mostly not relevant.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: February 18, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »
http://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/18/apple-ios-9-2-1-error-53-fix/

That was quick...

"Some customers' devices are showing 'Connect to iTunes' after attempting an iOS update or a restore from iTunes on a Mac or PC. This reports as an Error 53 in iTunes and appears when a device fails a security test. This test was designed to check whether Touch ID works properly before the device leaves the factory. Today, Apple released a software update that allows customers who have encountered this error message to successfully restore their device using iTunes on a Mac or PC. We apologize for any inconvenience, this was designed to be a factory test and was not intended to affect customers. Customers who paid for an out-of-warranty replacement of their device based on this issue should contact AppleCare about a reimbursement."

To be clear, I'm not saying I buy Apple's response at face value. Maybe they hoped to brick some phones to run up revenue, or maybe not. What is positive is that consumer outrage worked, the issue was a mistake for Apple and they see that. It can't repair damage done for those who were hurt already by the error, but it's a step in the right direction for a big company that is reticent to acknowledge mistakes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:46:01 PM by James »

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #246 on: February 18, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »
I wonder how that will play with the FBI's request to unlock the san bernadino phone. 

FBI: unlock the phone
Apple: not possible
FBI: unlock the phone by court order
Apple: not possible, no code or back door created/available, besides slippery slope blah blah blah but we will cooperate any way we can but can't give you what isn't possible.
Apple: we just unlocked a bunch of phones that couldn't possibly be unlocked before.....

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2016, 02:55:30 PM »
they unbricked, not unlocked.  very different.

as far as the fbi stuff, i love apple is standing up to them, despite "OMG TERRORISM"

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2016, 02:55:59 PM »
I wonder how that will play with the FBI's request to unlock the san bernadino phone. 

FBI: unlock the phone
Apple: not possible
FBI: unlock the phone by court order
Apple: not possible, no code or back door created/available, besides slippery slope blah blah blah but we will cooperate any way we can but can't give you what isn't possible.
Apple: we just unlocked a bunch of phones that couldn't possibly be unlocked before.....

Apples and oranges (ouch, what a sad pun...)

The locked phones due to Error 53 are locked due to hardware issues, but the encryption password is known and therefore bypassing the hardware issue (fingerprint scanner) and allowing for insertion of the password by screen is a valid option. For the san bernadino phone they are likewise bypassing the fingerprint scanner and going to the password screen, but they want apple to allow unlimited of passwords until the phone is cracked. Whole different animal... I mean fruit...

Edit: Rebel beat me to it lol... but I will also agree with apple standing up to the FBI for privacy. They are probably not taking on any risk, if anything this is probably helping Apple in the public eye so we can't know for sure it is altruistic, but it is the correct stand regardless.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:00:27 PM by James »

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2016, 03:15:55 PM »
Maybe different, but Apples stance on them ala their argument is basically the same in that they it was all about security and privacy....although we all know the Error 53 was entirely about limiting choice, controlling their customers, and ensuring that their proprietary technology stays that way.   Either way the "bricking" of the phone was supposedly permanent - ie irreversible under any means and yet they fixed it rather quickly once it hit the media and they got sued. 

Point is both the FBI thing and the Error 53 are very public undoable things...and suddenly became doable.

as far as the fbi stuff, i love apple is standing up to them, despite "OMG TERRORISM"

I love it too but to the masses and the FBI the difference between bricked and locked won't be that apparent....but that doesn't mean they should just comply willingly...they should put up a fight and make them prove the necessity of it. 

And don't think for a moment that Apple couldn't unlock that phone in a NY second...I don't think for a moment that they are sincere in their statement that its not possible.  And if they are truly worried about the slippery slope then just unlock the phone without giving the secret way to the FBI. 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 03:26:55 PM by tooqk4u22 »