Author Topic: Cheapest way to get a new iPhone?  (Read 4099 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Cheapest way to get a new iPhone?
« on: May 14, 2019, 12:36:39 AM »
Not used, but new. Thoughts, tips or tricks?

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheapest way to get a new iPhone?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 12:38:26 AM »

I was thinking of writing a similar post so will piggyback off yours

AlotToLearn

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 01:49:12 AM »
Ebay perhaps

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »
It depends on the country and the current economic climate - I can't help much because I'm in a different country.

One thing that used to work for me was to switch telco providers every couple of years - they would often have aggressive "sign on" bonuses for each other's customers - and then halfway through my contract call up with a complaint about value and escalate to manager level; the manager would invariably offer a further discount as enticement.

Now, telcos no longer have great plan pricing, so the easiest way I find now is to buy one at retail price (noting Apple has heavy resale maintenance, so there is very little discounting), write it off as a business expense, and then hop onto a smaller carrier for a month-to-month contract.

Seadog

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 06:08:39 AM »

The absolute cheapest way would be to steal one from somebody smaller than you.

On that note since this is a mustachian forum, why would you ever even consider getting an iPhone? For the same money you can literally get a car, and for 10% the money you can get a phone that does every thing an iPhone does, and doesn't chain you in to all sorts of stupid closed eco systems and ridiculous DRM stuff and locked hardware that requires you to spend additional money for fancy headphones.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 06:15:04 AM »

On that note since this is a mustachian forum, why would you ever even consider getting an iPhone? For the same money you can literally get a car, and for 10% the money you can get a phone that does every thing an iPhone does, and doesn't chain you in to all sorts of stupid closed eco systems and ridiculous DRM stuff and locked hardware that requires you to spend additional money for fancy headphones.

Or someone bigger than you if they are sleeping and won't know it's you

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 06:43:13 AM »

You can't get an iPhone clone for 10% of the money -  it won't have the camera, the performance, or the operating system. Perhaps in the past you could pay 60% for an equivalent Android, but now Androids are creeping up in price. Also, "fancy headphones" are not required - a set of headphones plus an adaptor come free with the phone.

There are many legitimate criticisms of the iPhone, but yours are way off the mark.

Mike in NH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 08:02:12 AM »
Is there anything specific about the newest model that you gotta have? I'm the old/crappy phone guy in my crew, just recently replaced my 4s only because the 3g was no longer going to be supported at the end of the year. But when I brought that up in conversation, I had at least 5 immediate offers that I could have my friends' 'old piece of junk' 6s phones if I wanted them fo' free.

Just another benefit of living a life that is just a little less ordinary than those around me.

SwitchActiveDWG

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:17:04 AM »
Is there anything specific about the newest model that you gotta have? I'm the old/crappy phone guy in my crew, just recently replaced my 4s only because the 3g was no longer going to be supported at the end of the year. But when I brought that up in conversation, I had at least 5 immediate offers that I could have my friends' 'old piece of junk' 6s phones if I wanted them fo' free.

Just another benefit of living a life that is just a little less ordinary than those around me.

This, I use an iPhone 6 and it works very well. Focus on getting an older model and there are deals to be had out there.

Seadog

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
You can't get an iPhone clone for 10% of the money -  it won't have the camera, the performance, or the operating system. Perhaps in the past you could pay 60% for an equivalent Android, but now Androids are creeping up in price. Also, "fancy headphones" are not required - a set of headphones plus an adaptor come free with the phone.

There are many legitimate criticisms of the iPhone, but yours are way off the mark.

No? I bought my android camera-phone a couple years ago for a couple hundred dollars, and it does everything you mention. It has a camera, fast OS, GPS, can use the internet, and even makes phone calls! In fact it even has other features that iphones don't, such as the ability to add SD cards for more storage.

I just can't fathom any possible circumstance where I would be wanting for lack of a $1500 phone, and what it does differently and materially better than any other phone of the last 5 years. Like the megapixel wars in cameras, we're at a point where the improvements are incremental at best, and result in little actual real world noticeable difference. For instance, unless you're routinely printing 8.5x11" prints or bigger, 6MP is about the limit of where the eye stops seeing improvement for prints. This is exacerbated on screens, allowing you to get away with about half the resolution.

The truth is it's a status symbol. No different than a Porsche. If you want to spend $100k to drive around at the same 100km/hr vs someone else doing it in a $2000 corolla, fine. But don't say that one fancy car is the functional equivalent to outfitting multiple people with high speed mobility for life.   

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 09:55:36 AM »
PTF as I'm currently having issues with my 6, and depending on the announcement of iOS support for the next year my husband and I may be upgrading out of our iPhone 6.

What I'm working on now to get a deal for mine is possibly buying my brothers X when he goes to upgrade. Yes, its used, but to me that's essentially new as I know he cares for his electronics well.

Sticking to your guns about having a new one vs refurbished might be a little unwise. Apple offers something like a 1 year warranty for all of their refurbished phones, and you can save a cut off of a brand new one.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:31:17 AM »

No? I bought my android camera-phone a couple years ago for a couple hundred dollars, and it does everything you mention. It has a camera, fast OS, GPS, can use the internet, and even makes phone calls! In fact it even has other features that iphones don't, such as the ability to add SD cards for more storage.

I just can't fathom any possible circumstance where I would be wanting for lack of a $1500 phone, and what it does differently and materially better than any other phone of the last 5 years. Like the megapixel wars in cameras, we're at a point where the improvements are incremental at best, and result in little actual real world noticeable difference. For instance, unless you're routinely printing 8.5x11" prints or bigger, 6MP is about the limit of where the eye stops seeing improvement for prints. This is exacerbated on screens, allowing you to get away with about half the resolution.

The truth is it's a status symbol. No different than a Porsche. If you want to spend $100k to drive around at the same 100km/hr vs someone else doing it in a $2000 corolla, fine. But don't say that one fancy car is the functional equivalent to outfitting multiple people with high speed mobility for life.   

iPhones are $1,500? We got two brand new iPhone 8 Plus phones less than a year ago for $800 combined. I can't imagine that the X is nearly four times the price.

And yes, $400/phone is excessive, more than I have ever paid for one before, and probably more than I'll ever pay again. Hopefully, they last a long time.

tedman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:42:07 AM »
Buy a new IPhone SE on eBay. By far the best value iPhone available($149-$249 depending on GB), I’ve been using since it came out, it runs all the current apps/iOS etc. I’ve been debating buying one as a back up since apparently Apple has decided actual “phone” sized phones are not worth it anymore even though the SE is one of their better selling phones.

It’s technically a 6S+ I think? In terms of guts inside.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 01:09:44 PM »
If you have Verizon service and add a new line, you can buy a new iPhone 6S for $120.

Seadog

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »

iPhones are $1,500? We got two brand new iPhone 8 Plus phones less than a year ago for $800 combined. I can't imagine that the X is nearly four times the price.

And yes, $400/phone is excessive, more than I have ever paid for one before, and probably more than I'll ever pay again. Hopefully, they last a long time.

Yes, $400 while a lot, isn't completely out of the reasonableness ball park. Are you sure that was the true, total, unlocked free and clear price though? Although it's recently gotten better in Canada, for a long time they would include a "free" or discounted phone, and you couldn't even see what sort of breakdown between service and phone financing was, allowing them to camouflage the true price.

And yes, $1500. I was as shocked as you when I first heard that, and hence my comparison to it being similar to the price of a car, and wholly unwarranted given what it does compared to a $100 phone model. I guess that's actually USD as well, because when I just checked the release notes, the high end price point was actually $1999. Don't fret though, for the budget minded, they *start* at $1029 I guess.

https://vancouversun.com/technology/personal-tech/canadians-pricing-for-new-iphones-range-from-1029-to-1999

The Apple Store, which will begin to take orders on the new phones on Friday, lists the base price for the 64GB iPhone XR, the cheap one, at $1,029 CAD. The 128GB XR is priced at $1,099, while the 256GB version is $1,239.

The iPhone XS is even more expensive with the 64GB phone starting at $1,379, and the 246GB and 512GB versions priced at $1,589 and $1,859 respectively.

You will need to shell out $1,519 for the base model 64GB iPhone XS MAX. The 256GB XS MAX is $1,729, while the 512GB version is a staggering $1,999.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 02:52:45 PM »

Yes, $400 while a lot, isn't completely out of the reasonableness ball park. Are you sure that was the true, total, unlocked free and clear price though? Although it's recently gotten better in Canada, for a long time they would include a "free" or discounted phone, and you couldn't even see what sort of breakdown between service and phone financing was, allowing them to camouflage the true price.

And yes, $1500. I was as shocked as you when I first heard that, and hence my comparison to it being similar to the price of a car, and wholly unwarranted given what it does compared to a $100 phone model. I guess that's actually USD as well, because when I just checked the release notes, the high end price point was actually $1999. Don't fret though, for the budget minded, they *start* at $1029 I guess.

https://vancouversun.com/technology/personal-tech/canadians-pricing-for-new-iphones-range-from-1029-to-1999

The "sticker price" was around $800 each, but came with a buy one get one deal. Looking back at our records, we paid about $500/phone after taxes and whatever fees were added. That's also USD.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:03:40 PM by DadJokes »

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 03:19:33 PM »
As mentioned, I have a 6 and it’s starting to fade so I’m going to upgrade after resisting for the last couple of years because of MMM. I’ve had android devices before and quite frankly, I end up hating them. Apple generally just works better and smoother and all my devices (watch, iPad and laptop) are Apple. I’m nothing close to a fanboy but do love the reliability and ease of their products. I do have a hard time thinking about spending so much money for this device though.

Frugalroogal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 03:44:41 PM »
My husband got a used iPhone 6S off his mother. We got the battery replaced when Apple were doing a cheap deal for replacement. We wanted to extend the lifespan of the phone. Turns out it had the opposite effect as the battery was faulty and damaged the phone.

How does this relate to getting a new iPhone for free? Apple replaced the whole phone with a brand new 6S which we’re hoping to keep for the next few years.

SpartyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 07:20:58 PM »

Best Buy sometimes has decent prices on iPhones with a contract.  I just took a look at Best Buy's website, it looks like most of their current deals are for new accounts:  iPhone 6s - $2.04 per month (Verizon - 2 year contract), iPhone 7 - $5 per month (AT&T - 2.5 year contract).

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 02:37:40 AM »
Any particular reasons you want to get it new? As others have mentioned, in the right friend circles, nowadays you can get an iPhone 6 for free. Might not hurt to ask around.

leonblack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »
Ask around or go without a phone and see who offers one up.

Mine broke and I went two+ weeks without one; a liberating experience.

I have a macbook for work and imessaged through that since most of my friends have iphones.

From there, my friend offered me an iphone 5s that was sitting in his wife's drawer.

birdiegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
We've been shopping around for new iPhones as well.  As far as I can find, the best option is to trade in your existing phone to get a credit on the new one.  We have a 6 Plus and 6s and can get $300/each for a trade in with Verizon or T-Mobile (AT&T may have the same offer - couldn't get anyone to help us at the AT&T store so not sure).  I have seen some buy 1 get 1 offers for the XR but it's a little too big for me.   The apple store had the lowest trade in values. 

We did the battery replacements last year but are having more issues with screens not responding and the phones just locking up.  Haven't decided yet but considering the iPhone 8 (~$599 before trade in) or the XS (~$999) before trade in. Not ideal but we have all apple devices (laptop, iPad, Apple TV, etc) so going to stick with Apple to keep it simple. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 10:03:57 PM »

Evidence needed.

No? I bought my android camera-phone a couple years ago for a couple hundred dollars, and it does everything you mention.

Woah, wait, hold on there.  Back up.  A "couple hundred"? 

The top of the line iPhone XS Max, 512GB, is $1449, brand new, from the Apple store.

What's a new $150 phone that's not a steaming pile of crap?

I can get a brand new XR with 128GB of storage for $800.

You can buy $80 phones.  I challenge your assertion that they can do "everything an iPhone does."  They are... usually uniquely awful Chinese devices that don't work.

Buy a new IPhone SE on eBay.

I wouldn't.  The 6S is getting close to end of life in terms of OS support.  It'll probably run iOS 13, I'm not certain it'll run iOS 14.

=========

OP: Cheapest way to a new iPhone is going to be eBay, almost certainly.

But get a lightly used one instead.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »
Buy a new IPhone SE on eBay.

I wouldn't.  The 6S is getting close to end of life in terms of OS support.  It'll probably run iOS 13, I'm not certain it'll run iOS 14.

=========

OP: Cheapest way to a new iPhone is going to be eBay, almost certainly.

But get a lightly used one instead.
[/quote]

Eh, it depends on your outlook. If you're someone who wants a smaller phone, less out of pocket initial expense, something that will work for 2-3 years, an SE isn't a bad buy. Its actually what I went with. I'd argue an SE is still a great "kid" iPhone as well. Give them the $150 one to break rather than the $700 one.

and just because the phone can't get the latest iOS support doesn't make it instantly a paperweight. My husband will not give up his 6 for the world, even if iOS supports are no longer there.

And Apple just announced their supported phones for iOS 13: iPhone 6+ and SE make the list as supported, and the 6 (and older) is officially retired.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
and just because the phone can't get the latest iOS support doesn't make it instantly a paperweight. My husband will not give up his 6 for the world, even if iOS supports are no longer there.

It doesn't make it a paperweight, but it does mean you're not getting security patches and updates, which increases the overall risk of using the device long term.  I won't run things out of OS support for very long for that reason.

And Apple just announced their supported phones for iOS 13: iPhone 6+ and SE make the list as supported, and the 6 (and older) is officially retired.

Yup!  Excited that my 6S gets another year or two of use.

Bucksandreds

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
iPhone XR is $649 at boost and my wife and I get 3GB each with unlimted talk and text for $50 total including taxes. $649 is steep but that's $100 off.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »
Convince yourself you dont need one.

King35

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 01:04:01 AM »
The cheapest way to get an iPhone is for free as a gift. And it's better to make money on your own and buy a phone.

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 08:20:22 AM »
The cheapest way is to not ever get an iPhone in the first place.  I've never had one and don't feel I'm missing out.  Wife has one and is a big fan, but it's an older 5 model and has worked just fine for years.  She plans to keep it, since the prices of the new iPhones are borderline insane.

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »
I think that looking at the cost as per year until the operating system is discontinued is reasonable. Using used phone prices from Glyde (just picked as an example, you can probably purchase cheaper elsewhere)

iPhone Name:5S66S78XXR
Year Released:2013201420152016201720172018
Year Left on OS:0123445
Used cost on Glyde:na$129.99na$229.99$379.99na$639.99
Cost per year:na$129.99na$76.66$95.00na$128.00

Based on this brief analysis this seems to indicate that purchasing an iPhone 7 is the sweet spot. Let me know what you think. Hopefully I got my years left until the OS is no longer supported approximately correct.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2019, 12:27:16 PM »
We bought Android phones on eBay from same seller as my kids and had nothing but problems. At 6 months went to AT&T store and they gave us 300 towards new phones. I went with a iPhone 7 that I will use until it dies.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »
Based on this brief analysis this seems to indicate that purchasing an iPhone 7 is the sweet spot. Let me know what you think. Hopefully I got my years left until the OS is no longer supported approximately correct.

The 5S and 6 both don't have iOS 13 support.  The 6S is the oldest device that supports iOS13.

The right approach to identifying what phones will go out together is looking at hardware feature commonality.

The phones dropped for iOS 13 are all 1GB (RAM) phones.  You typically see groups of devices dropped by specification like that.  But it's hard to tell when support is going to end.  I think you may be a bit optimistic on the 8.

GHG7F0

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
I bought a new IPhone 6s this past December for $99. The only catch is you can’t unlock it for 6 months on Cricket. I bought the Target discounted Cricket gift cards so the service was also discounted. I just unlocked it and now I can take it to any GSM provider.

I also bought a IPhone SE new for my wife with Simple Mobile for $99. We can unlock after 1 year of service. Service is only $22 on month so I don’t mind using them.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 03:51:38 AM »
I would agree that new iPhones of late have insane prices. But don't forget if you own your own business you can claim it as a work expense (in line with work usage) and deduct a lot of the cost away.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!