Author Topic: Cheapest return address labels?  (Read 3670 times)

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
Cheapest return address labels?
« on: January 07, 2019, 07:11:11 PM »
I’ve found 500 for $3.95. Anyone know where to get them cheaper?

I’ll keep binging

pdxbator

• Stubble
Re: Cheapest return address labels?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »
A stamp I had made for like $7 and it is endless.

JustInStarting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:08 PM »
I use the free ones that come with AAA promotions. :)

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:00 PM »
I just write in my Last name/address if I don't have any free ones. Takes about 10 seconds, and I write slow.

I think I mail things like... 2-3 times a year tops?

CheapScholar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »
I have enough free ones from charities over the years.  No, I don’t throw them away simply because I didn’t send a check to the charity.  They printed them and I use them.  Throwing them away would be environmentally irresponsible.

Also, I often just cut my name/address off junk mail and keep a pile.  I tape that to packages (not letters to people or bills - my side hustle is selling books on amazon and those scraps with my address work just fine for stuff like that).

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:47:03 AM »
Toss a $5 in an envelope for a charity that sent you them.

You'll get on the list of "people who pay for return address labels," and find yourself with thousands of them in a few short months.

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
Just ordered and printed up a bunch for my Mom using Avery labels from Amazon and Open Office for about $8.  She wants to sell up in a year or two and so didn't want to spend the same amount for either labels she might not use up by then or a stamp she'd need to replace after the move.  All the options from Staples/Amazon were about as much as the blank labels were.

It would have gone smoother if I could have used Microsoft Word as I'm more familiar with that.  The label template in Open Office used too large a font and it printed on her little LaserJet right next to the left margin.  So after dorking around and adding three spaces to the front of each line and copying formatting around, she's happy.  I saved the document so we can print up just a sheet at a time as she needs them and we can change the address if she moves.  She has enough labels for her lifetime and can share with family members if they need some.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
Toss a $5 in an envelope for a charity that sent you them.
You'll get on the list of "people who pay for return address labels," and find yourself with thousands of them in a few short months.

True. I gave the March of dimes a little cash, and in the following month I received labels, calendars and notepads from about ten different charities.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 05:13:50 PM »
I use the free ones that come with AAA promotions. :)

And AARP and even some CC offers. Been using free ones for years.

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 07:36:29 PM »
Cheapest is:
Type out a bunch of the addresses (and name) spaced out like a sheet of the avery labels.
 even cheaper if you print on the back of something else you printed or got in the mail
Cut them out with scissors or a coupon cutter
Use a dollar store glue stick to attach em to envelopes

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 11:56:49 AM »
Just ordered and printed up a bunch for my Mom using Avery labels from Amazon and Open Office for about $8.  She wants to sell up in a year or two and so didn't want to spend the same amount for either labels she might not use up by then or a stamp she'd need to replace after the move.  All the options from Staples/Amazon were about as much as the blank labels were.

It would have gone smoother if I could have used Microsoft Word as I'm more familiar with that.  The label template in Open Office used too large a font and it printed on her little LaserJet right next to the left margin.  So after dorking around and adding three spaces to the front of each line and copying formatting around, she's happy.  I saved the document so we can print up just a sheet at a time as she needs them and we can change the address if she moves.  She has enough labels for her lifetime and can share with family members if they need some.

In the future, look for LibreOffice templates for the labels that you need. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are basically the same free open-source software but LibreOffice has gone its own way and is a more active software development group than OpenOffice.

Also, I set up columns in LibreOffice to help format my doc prior to printing labels. Then I print it on plain paper. If I'm lucky I can lay that paper over the label sheet, hold it up to the house window and see if the alignment is right before I print the label sheet. 

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/templates

Also - ODT is the default document file type for the LiberOffice/OpenOffice. When I search Google for "avery ODT templates" I get some useful results. There might be something there that fits your needs out without alteration.

Lulee

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 12:08:22 PM »
Thanks @Just Joe !  I'd heard many people prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice but that was after I'd stuck OpenOffice on her PC to give her something to use.  The Avery template we used came with the version so I didn't look online for another, possibly more updated one.  My lack of knowledge of the software which would have been the case with either LO or OO just slowed down the works which is always the case I find when swapping from a program you know quite well to one you don't.  But the end result made her very happy.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 06:09:11 AM »
You can set up templates and print right from the Avery website using whatever brand of labels you have that match the Avery sizes.  If you want to get fancy, you can print labels in different styles and you can save your customized style as a pdf for later reprinting. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 08:54:12 AM »
I'd heard many people prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice but that was after I'd stuck OpenOffice on her PC to give her something to use.

What? You didn't just intuitively know which version has the most active development?

I'm still a little salty that the OpenOffice name was revived after it was discontinued and the LibreOffice project had already taken its place...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
I'm overflowing from charities that I don't actually support. They send them unsolicited.

If you have a small amount of mail to send, just write it in- can't get cheaper than that.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 11:14:23 AM »
Yeah, we've gotten so many from various charities, that we've actually thrown a lot of them away.  (We've made a few small donations over the years, and got on some shared list.)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
Same here.  Totally worth it.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
Same here.  Totally worth it.
Yep, It is also faster to apply than a peel and stick label.

For printed business items, I use Vistaprint for the inexpensive option, and my local printer when I need a bit of support or it needs to be "right".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 05:35:56 PM »
Wow.  How much mail do you send?

I personally just print the address and return address directly on my envelopes when sending out something like Christmas cards.  If it’s a one-off I just use a pen to write my address.

Lulee

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 11:04:36 AM »
Wow.  How much mail do you send?

I do the same but when I suggested that to my mom, she actually said it was too much time/effort!  I suspect it's just a habit to use labels (plus they're free!) and so it's an annoyance to give it up.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 03:51:54 AM »
I just write in my Last name/address if I don't have any free ones. Takes about 10 seconds, and I write slow.

I think I mail things like... 2-3 times a year tops?

Same here. I post something maybe once a year on average. Why clutter up my desk drawer with labels?

FrugalSaver

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 08:56:18 PM »
Wow. Random necropost 😁

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »
Wow. Random necropost 😁

It was necro'd by two spammers...