Author Topic: Cheapest country to travel and live  (Read 7439 times)

neonlight

• Stubble
Cheapest country to travel and live
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:50:28 AM »
I am 35 and aim to retire by next year and start traveling. I want to cover Asia and Europe and maybe LatAm for a fews months each (maybe more). The idea is to enjoy life as a local :)

Can someone recommend a country each from these three continents.

Thanks!

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
Re: Cheapest country to travel and live
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 08:38:58 AM »
You forgot Africa. Which is a shame because the wine producing region around Cape Town is amazing, and super cheap. It's probably expensive by South African standards, but your dollar will go a long way there.

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
You forgot Africa. Which is a shame because the wine producing region around Cape Town is amazing, and super cheap. It's probably expensive by South African standards, but your dollar will go a long way there.

Thanks for the tip. I've done Africa before but I should definitely prepare a more extensive trip there! :)

travelawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
I'm confused about whether you want to live in one place in each Continent for a few months, or you are planning to travel around.  If you are traveling around, then why just one country?  Are you looking for a cheap place or the best place?

Just to throw things out there, if I were going to live in Latin America for a few months I'd choose Antigua, Guatemala (I've heard great things about Colombia for expats but haven't been).  For Asia I would choose Hoi An, Vietnam (runners up Luang Prabang, Laos, and Chiang Mai, Thailand). Europe is harder as I haven't traveled there extensively since college, but Croatia is my favorite place to visit so I'll pick Dubrovnik.

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
I'm confused about whether you want to live in one place in each Continent for a few months, or you are planning to travel around.  If you are traveling around, then why just one country?  Are you looking for a cheap place or the best place?

Just to throw things out there, if I were going to live in Latin America for a few months I'd choose Antigua, Guatemala (I've heard great things about Colombia for expats but haven't been).  For Asia I would choose Hoi An, Vietnam (runners up Luang Prabang, Laos, and Chiang Mai, Thailand). Europe is harder as I haven't traveled there extensively since college, but Croatia is my favorite place to visit so I'll pick Dubrovnik.

The plan is to live in a place in each continent and use it as a base to travel around. Say if I am in Luang Prabang and I can easily head to Chiang Mai or Vietnam from there.

I am looking for both cheap and best place. I am cheap in the sense that I think part of the reason a place is great is because its cheap. ;)

Patches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »
Bolivia is remarkably cheap and beautiful.  La Paz is a delight, as is Cochabamba and Sucre.

Vietnam seemed to be the cheapest in SE Asia.  I preferred Hanoi... hectic, scrappy people, basically live there for as little money as you'd like.

SunshineAZ

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:51:25 AM »
For Europe I would recommend Portugal, it is one of the cheaper countries, great wine and food, great people and it is beautiful. The only downside is that it is not a place where you can easily access the northern countries of Europe.  If you want to have a home base and do short trips, I would use Portugal for Spain/Portugal and then use someplace like the Czech Republic for the other European countries.

travelawyer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
Everywhere in SE Asia is so cheap you should just pick a place you like, as long as it's not a touristy beach destination like Phuket.  Overland travel is terrible though, so I'd look into local flights for your journeys.  Get on the mailing list for AirAsia now--they have some really good promotions (sometimes free flights).  It also depends what season you will be there.  I personally wouldn't choose Hanoi as a base anyway, but you should know that they actually have a winter, as well as a summer that is SO UNBEARABLY HOT.  Chiang Mai's worst weather month is April, but it's made up for with a 3 day water-gun festival.

I'll second Prague and La Paz as other good cheap bases.

yuka

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 12:53:23 PM »
For Europe I would recommend Portugal, it is one of the cheaper countries, great wine and food, great people and it is beautiful. The only downside is that it is not a place where you can easily access the northern countries of Europe.  If you want to have a home base and do short trips, I would use Portugal for Spain/Portugal and then use someplace like the Czech Republic for the other European countries.

I second Portugal/Spain, Portugal particularly. The whole peninsula seems to be gorgeous, and cheap from everything I can tell (though I never paid rent long-term.)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 02:00:21 PM »
One place that gets overlooked in Asia is Sri Lanka.  I was shocked at how clean it was and not so overpopulated as other south Asian countries.    I just traveled but wouldn't mind going back.  They have some retirement visas that let you stay longer.      Here was my travel blog:  https://thehotflashpacker.com/sri-lanka/

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »
Everywhere in SE Asia is so cheap you should just pick a place you like, as long as it's not a touristy beach destination like Phuket.  Overland travel is terrible though, so I'd look into local flights for your journeys.  Get on the mailing list for AirAsia now--they have some really good promotions (sometimes free flights).  It also depends what season you will be there.  I personally wouldn't choose Hanoi as a base anyway, but you should know that they actually have a winter, as well as a summer that is SO UNBEARABLY HOT.  Chiang Mai's worst weather month is April, but it's made up for with a 3 day water-gun festival.

I'll second Prague and La Paz as other good cheap bases.

For SEA, maybe somewhere in Thailand or even my home country Malaysia. Will probably pick the former as I don't feel like am travelling if I live in my home country.

Czech seems to be a good base for continental Europe. How about Ukraine and Poland, both should also be cheap especially Ukraine.

Goatee Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 05:15:49 AM »
Armenia or Georgia.  I lived in that region for two years and the place is a Mustachian dream.  VERY cheap prices on everything, wonderfully friendly people, extremely healthy food.  Only pain is that it's far away from the US and hard to get there.  That's also a big benefit once you're there, as you're far from almost all consumeristic nonsense and toxic food that pervades the US now.

Both countries are emerging from their post-Soviet struggles, especially Georgia, which is quite a bit further ahead in that respect than Armenia.  But what Armenia lacks in sophistication, is makes up for in stunning natural beauty.  It's really a win-win living over there.

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 05:32:49 AM »
Armenia or Georgia.  I lived in that region for two years and the place is a Mustachian dream.  VERY cheap prices on everything, wonderfully friendly people, extremely healthy food.  Only pain is that it's far away from the US and hard to get there.  That's also a big benefit once you're there, as you're far from almost all consumeristic nonsense and toxic food that pervades the US now.

Both countries are emerging from their post-Soviet struggles, especially Georgia, which is quite a bit further ahead in that respect than Armenia.  But what Armenia lacks in sophistication, is makes up for in stunning natural beauty.  It's really a win-win living over there.

Thanks, both are new to me :)

If you really have to pick, which people are friendlier?

I am of Asian descent in case there is any racism, which I doubt.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 06:13:18 AM »
I love Chile.  The people, the culture, the natural beauty.  We lived in Santiago for almost three months shortly after FIRE.  I returned this year for a motorcycle tour of Patagonia.  Having said that...it's not cheap.  I found it on par with cheaper regions of the US. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »

Speaking of toxic food, of all fast food chains, Tbilisi has at least one Wendy's.  It was very odd to see that in the middle of the city.  I love Georgia and Armenia.  The wine.  The people. The incredibly cheap entertainment.  I went to an international rugby match, the ballet, and opera in a single week and the total of all 3 tickets was less than $20.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »
I'm going to put in another vote for Portugal for Europe.  Been there a couple times and it's the most friendly, lower cost section of Europe I have been (and I have traveled extensively in western Europe).

If you want to do something REALLY off the beaten path, one of my best trips ever was to Mongolia.  Very interesting place, and also fairly inexpensive, but there is no public transport, so you would need to set yourself up with someone local to travel.

Are you considering part time work as a tour guide while traveling?

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 11:44:02 AM »
I'm going to put in another vote for Portugal for Europe.  Been there a couple times and it's the most friendly, lower cost section of Europe I have been (and I have traveled extensively in western Europe).

If you want to do something REALLY off the beaten path, one of my best trips ever was to Mongolia.  Very interesting place, and also fairly inexpensive, but there is no public transport, so you would need to set yourself up with someone local to travel.

Are you considering part time work as a tour guide while traveling?

Of course I would consider working part time as tour guide, just not sure anyone would want to hire me, lol

mancityfan

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
Just got back from a tour of Southern Africa. Cape Town has some very pricey areas indeed, but you could live very well in some areas there. It is also the most beautiful city in the world IMHO. I would put a shout out for Botswana. Cheap, politically and economically stable. Incredible wildlife and very nice people.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 11:48:08 AM »

Of course I would consider working part time as tour guide, just not sure anyone would want to hire me, lol

Most tours larger than about 8 to 12 people will have an assistant guide, as long as you are fluent in the language of the tour (assuming English), you would do fine.  That's how a lot of people start.  You won't make much for the first few gigs, but once you have learned the ropes, the tips and perks really can add up.

onewayfamily

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »
Pretty much all of South-East Europe is great - pretty cheap, civilised (i.e. you can get strong internet connections) and interesting cultures.
Anywhere south of Austria/Hungary/Poland is pretty much OK affordability-wise, other than Croatia.

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 12:44:57 PM »
Another vote for Chiang Mai.  We visited for several days and had a great time.  Very walkable, excellent food, very inexpensive.

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »
Another vote for Chiang Mai.  We visited for several days and had a great time.  Very walkable, excellent food, very inexpensive.

A place I really like, but I heard these days it's getting really touristy.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »

A place I really like, but I heard these days it's getting really touristy.

So many places in the world are getting too touristy.  :(

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 07:32:22 AM »
Yeah, when I FIRE in 3-4 years I'm planning on slow travel, Asia is my target, and initially I was planning to travel around, but I've been learning Chinese, and I quite fancy a few years in China to see how it goes.

Had a look at options, and it's either a work visa or student visa, Ideal would be to get an expat job, but I've not worked out how to do that yet......also toying with the TEFL option, it might be quite fun? Or just going for hardcore language immersion and studying Chinese for a year?

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
Yeah, when I FIRE in 3-4 years I'm planning on slow travel, Asia is my target, and initially I was planning to travel around, but I've been learning Chinese, and I quite fancy a few years in China to see how it goes.

Had a look at options, and it's either a work visa or student visa, Ideal would be to get an expat job, but I've not worked out how to do that yet......also toying with the TEFL option, it might be quite fun? Or just going for hardcore language immersion and studying Chinese for a year?

Lived there for a couple of years. The English teaching job market is quite hot, an hour's teaching fetch you around 20USD (more if you teach business people, less if you teach students). Most of the times you need to prepare, but there are times when students just want to practice speaking. They pay every session or each month. You see that occasionally when the teaching is done in Starbucks. I wish there are such demand for Chinese teaching in Europe so that I can do the same ;)

The country is mightily changing. I use "mighty" because cities crop up overnight, the infrastructure is amazing, and now that they are done with the hard infrastructures, they are pouring into the soft infrastructures. For example, you can go cashless if you want to. Highly recommended to get a taste of it (business wise is another story).

Re3iRtH

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 01:30:21 PM »

Lived there for a couple of years. The English teaching job market is quite hot, an hour's teaching fetch you around 20USD (more if you teach business people, less if you teach students). Most of the times you need to prepare, but there are times when students just want to practice speaking. They pay every session or each month. You see that occasionally when the teaching is done in Starbucks. I wish there are such demand for Chinese teaching in Europe so that I can do the same ;)

The country is mightily changing. I use "mighty" because cities crop up overnight, the infrastructure is amazing, and now that they are done with the hard infrastructures, they are pouring into the soft infrastructures. For example, you can go cashless if you want to. Highly recommended to get a taste of it (business wise is another story).

Neon, before you mentioned you were of Asian descent, and I was wondering why in your avatar pic you didn't look so. Now with the Chinese teaching comment, the mystery is solved - that isn't you in your pic! Sneaky.. ;)

neonlight

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 08:42:54 PM »

Neon, before you mentioned you were of Asian descent, and I was wondering why in your avatar pic you didn't look so. Now with the Chinese teaching comment, the mystery is solved - that isn't you in your pic! Sneaky.. ;)

Damn, you caught me!

Please still be nice to me, even if I am not the smoking hot babe in the avatar ;)

Re3iRtH

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »

Damn, you caught me!

Please still be nice to me, even if I am not the smoking hot babe in the avatar ;)

I'll try. In fact, I won't have to try very hard. My friends poke fun at me. I lived in Waikiki, Oahu, HI for many years. Travel to Asia, asian food, asian people to date, asian cars -- I'm partial to all! Except learning the languages is dang hard..

Is that your real photo now?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:23:27 PM by Re3iRtH »