Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938936 times)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2750 on: December 03, 2022, 06:58:07 PM »
My Sunday morning ritual of sitting in my living room soaking up the sun through the bay window, with a pot of tea and a logic puzzle. 

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #2751 on: December 15, 2022, 08:47:04 AM »
On a cold day, if I've done something outside and wrapped up early enough to have a late morning, screaming hot cup of coffee. I mean like so hot you can hardly take it out of the microwave.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2752 on: December 15, 2022, 02:27:50 PM »
My Sunday morning ritual of sitting in my living room soaking up the sun through the bay window, with a pot of tea and a logic puzzle.

It is not going to be "cheap", but we're talking with an architect about re-jiggering the inside of the house so that we can spend the next few decades doing this (but not in the living room, because that's on the west side of the house -- great for sitting in the afternoon sun, etc. etc.)

Mine is taking advantage of the cold weather to bake cookies and various types of fruitcakes, and then sharing them with friends and neighbors!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2753 on: December 16, 2022, 02:36:24 AM »
Made several gingerbread house kits to give to friends.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2754 on: December 16, 2022, 01:07:45 PM »
Bright sunshine on white snow..everything looks so perfectly gorgeous.

srrb

• Stubble
« Reply #2755 on: December 21, 2022, 04:45:21 PM »
A big pot of soup/stew on the stove and homemade bread. Watching the winter sunset out of the sunroom. Happy Solstice!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2756 on: December 23, 2022, 08:28:51 AM »
Being warm and inside with no outdoor obligations during this decade's fourth Storm Of The Century.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2757 on: December 24, 2022, 06:26:07 AM »
Being warm and inside with no outdoor obligations during this decade's fourth Storm Of The Century.

Same. I'm isolating before major surgery in a few weeks, so no Christmas obligations for me.  I'm very much enjoying that I don't have anywhere to be and already have weeks worth of food in my house.

DH on the other hand? He went out for a run last night because he does that every time he gets an extreme weather warning on his phone. I think he's in a dick measuring contest with God or something.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2758 on: December 24, 2022, 06:59:41 AM »
My wife has perfected the art of making green chili. She made a batch using the last of the Hatch chili's and it's been heavenly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 07:18:31 PM by CatamaranSailor »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2759 on: January 08, 2023, 09:29:59 AM »
Stretching (in the morning, in front of the fireplace)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2760 on: January 08, 2023, 09:43:36 AM »
A really good cup of tea in a quiet house.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2761 on: January 08, 2023, 05:45:33 PM »
Orthopedic supports when you've had orthopedic surgery.

One of my very favourite possessions in the whole wide world right now is a $17 leg lifting strap. I've had it by my side, under a pillow in my hospital bed because I don't want anyone to accidentally move it somewhere.

There are just all these little useful aides that so dramatically increase my quality of life right now.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2762 on: January 08, 2023, 06:18:31 PM »
Fortune cookies. 

There's no logical reason to care what's printed on the little slip of paper, but I still enjoy seeing what they say.  The last one I opened was in English on one side and in French on the other.  The lucky number was only on the English side, so I guess I'm lucky to speack English.  ;~) 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2763 on: January 08, 2023, 08:16:39 PM »
Home baked bread

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2764 on: January 08, 2023, 08:16:49 PM »
Fortune cookies. 

There's no logical reason to care what's printed on the little slip of paper, but I still enjoy seeing what they say.  The last one I opened was in English on one side and in French on the other.  The lucky number was only on the English side, so I guess I'm lucky to speack English.  ;~)

Same. Love them.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2765 on: January 09, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »
Finding that lost thing. Looked high and low for a tool yesterday. Haven't needed it for several years since before we moved last time.

After checking every possible place, I thought of one more place to look and there it was... Then I remembered my friend putting it there (inside a cabinet) so it wouldn't get lost.

Was prepared to buy it again, won't need to now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2766 on: January 09, 2023, 12:43:41 PM »
After 24 hours of stomach pain and vomiting from a bout of food poisoning, it's feeling really spectacular to just not be in pain and nauseous.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2767 on: January 09, 2023, 02:07:46 PM »
Orthopedic supports when you've had orthopedic surgery.

One of my very favourite possessions in the whole wide world right now is a $17 leg lifting strap. I've had it by my side, under a pillow in my hospital bed because I don't want anyone to accidentally move it somewhere.

There are just all these little useful aides that so dramatically increase my quality of life right now.

My father is waiting for a shoulder surgery and constructed a pulley system in order to gain/increase his range of motion in the injured arm. It's true--amazing what some straps, rope, pulleys can do for quality of life.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2768 on: January 09, 2023, 06:36:08 PM »
Home baked bread

Agree.  Especially when it is a bit warm still.

I made a loaf one time and left it on the kitchen counter to cool before I went to bed.  When I woke up in the morning I went downstairs and there were just crumbs left.  My teenage daughter came home and ate the whole loaf. 

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #2769 on: January 09, 2023, 06:58:56 PM »
Modern dentistry. Maybe not so cheap as say watching whales and drinking tea (which sounds wonderful, BTW) but thank God for endodontists and anesthetic. $375.00 (after insurance) and I'm now the proud own of a root canaled tooth and no more pain.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2770 on: January 12, 2023, 11:02:17 AM »
Random, unloved condiments from the food pantry are making me happy today!

People often donate interesting condiments to the food pantry that we can't give away. They usually sit on a shelf for 6+ months and then we cycle them through. Once they go in the trash, I have been known to ask if I can have them.

Now some of my fellow volunteers ask me before throwing them in the trash and I scored three jars of momofuku chili crunch (with an expiration date of december 2023) last weekend!

I ate a delicious bowl of noodles, spiraled butternut squash and cooked spinach with a chilicrunch/soy/honey/chicken broth  for lunch and it made me really happy!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2771 on: January 12, 2023, 11:17:59 AM »

People often donate interesting condiments to the food pantry that we can't give away. They usually sit on a shelf for 6+ months and then we cycle them through. Once they go in the trash, I have been known to ask if I can have them.

Now some of my fellow volunteers ask me before throwing them in the trash and I scored three jars of momofuku chili crunch (with an expiration date of december 2023) last weekend!

I ate a delicious bowl of noodles, spiraled butternut squash and cooked spinach with a chilicrunch/soy/honey/chicken broth  for lunch and it made me really happy!

When you say, "can't give away" is that because customers don't select the condiments or because of some food pantry rule?   

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2772 on: January 12, 2023, 11:33:10 AM »

When you say, "can't give away" is that because customers don't select the condiments or because of some food pantry rule?   

I didn't realize how funny that must sound for a food pantry :) Badly used phrase on my part. The customer's don't choose them.

While the pantry generally has limits on how many of an item each individual can take (2 condiments per visit, etc), with items that sit too long we eventually move them to a shelf that says "help yourself! Take as many as you like!" And them some of the more esoteric items still there until we eventually throw them out.

I've gotten bags of dried figs and prunes, different hot sauces, mustards, ghee, and loose leaf teas from the toss shelf. I like keeping it from going into the landfill.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2773 on: January 12, 2023, 12:30:39 PM »
Turning up the thermostat on our waterheater just a few degrees higher. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2774 on: January 13, 2023, 12:12:12 PM »

I didn't realize how funny that must sound for a food pantry :) Badly used phrase on my part. The customer's don't choose them.

While the pantry generally has limits on how many of an item each individual can take (2 condiments per visit, etc), with items that sit too long we eventually move them to a shelf that says "help yourself! Take as many as you like!" And them some of the more esoteric items still there until we eventually throw them out.

I've gotten bags of dried figs and prunes, different hot sauces, mustards, ghee, and loose leaf teas from the toss shelf. I like keeping it from going into the landfill.
Those items are bio degradable though. They will break down in any landfill or in any compost pile, even better.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2775 on: January 13, 2023, 01:15:26 PM »
Fresh basil in the winter (we have a basil plant that lives indoors)

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #2776 on: January 14, 2023, 04:01:21 PM »

Chili crunch has been a hot item in 2022. I got my brother and nephew hooked on it. I prefer more salty spice like jalapeño on my pizza, but I’ve been wondering what to put on my butternut noodles so I’ll try it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 04:06:39 PM by Runrooster »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2777 on: January 17, 2023, 06:37:21 AM »
Plants sprouting from seeds that I sowed.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2778 on: January 17, 2023, 08:31:01 AM »

Yeeeesssss!!!!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2779 on: January 17, 2023, 08:31:31 AM »
Drawing. So simple and profound.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2780 on: January 17, 2023, 11:15:12 AM »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2781 on: January 17, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »
I just discovered (free) online jigsaw puzzles!

And while I thought I would miss the tactile part of actually manipulating the pieces, I thought it was really fun and didn't miss the physical pieces!  I haven't been able to do puzzles in years because my cats would want to "help" the entire time (even if I could find a good way to protect a big puzzle between work sessions), so this is a great solution.

Not that I needed more games to play, but I'm FIREd so theoretically I have time??

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2782 on: January 19, 2023, 04:07:00 AM »

Double yes!!!  This never gets old. 

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2783 on: January 19, 2023, 04:51:34 PM »
The smell of cookies baking..

And deep, fresh snow on a ski day (the skiing isn't cheap but I have a pass & my gear but the weather really changes everything!)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2784 on: January 20, 2023, 04:43:08 PM »
The smell of cookies baking..

And deep, fresh snow on a ski day (the skiing isn't cheap but I have a pass & my gear but the weather really changes everything!)

Just finished baking a tray full of cinnamon rolls to take to a ski race tomorrow. Friends are racing, I'll be a course marshal.

Enjoy the snow!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2785 on: January 20, 2023, 09:59:37 PM »
Just finished baking a tray full of cinnamon rolls to take to a ski race tomorrow. Friends are racing, I'll be a course marshal.

Enjoy the snow!

thanks @jeninco --best day of the season so far! Hope the races went well :)

Library books (and the ability for librarians to bring in books from other districts if I request them). Such abundance.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:02:11 PM by Serendip »

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #2786 on: January 22, 2023, 06:37:08 AM »
Cheap things that make me happy: My morning coffee, early morning drives, and quiet time.

-A few days a week I'll get up an hour or so before daylight and sit in the dark/quiet, drink my coffee, and just think or zone out.
-Other times I'll read at this time but only with a little book light.
-On the weekends I'll sometimes get up before daylight, make my coffee, and take a little drive while the wifey and majority of the city sleeps in.

I have a demanding/stressful job so this is one hour a day a few times a week where I know it will always be peaceful and relaxing.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2787 on: January 22, 2023, 07:43:31 AM »

I've gotten bags of dried figs and prunes, different hot sauces, mustards, ghee, and loose leaf teas from the toss shelf. I like keeping it from going into the landfill.9
Related tangent: I run a large-scale annual food drive.  During a planning session, I asked about cash donations vs. food. The answer was both, because people donate things the Food Bank doesn't buy, like branded cereal and...condiments.

As a result of what I've learned over the years, I personally give money, because the FB's buying power far exceeds my own, but I always watch for screaming deals on condiments to donate. (LOL, I don't buy branded cereal either.)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2788 on: January 22, 2023, 08:36:12 AM »
A delicious meal made from my pantry/freezer/cold cellar.  Even better when I grew some of the ingredients. Easy to cook.  It's like a gift from past me.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2789 on: January 22, 2023, 10:36:59 AM »
Last night I made cookies and this morning, I made homemade ice cream.  I've found making ice cream really fun since I know what is going in it, and I keep tweaking the recipe over time.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2790 on: January 22, 2023, 11:50:36 AM »
A delicious meal made from my pantry/freezer/cold cellar.  Even better when I grew some of the ingredients. Easy to cook.  It's like a gift from past me.

It's always better when you grew some of the ingredients!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2791 on: January 23, 2023, 09:41:44 AM »

Enjoy the snow!

Library books (and the ability for librarians to bring in books from other districts if I request them). Such abundance.

It was ... a day. Someone else drove, but we were in a car for 5+ hours (combined). It was single-digits while we were mostly standing stil (and cheering for the racers)l on the race course, and my partner and I wound up kind of trying to dissuade a moose from re-crossing the race course by ringing cow-bells (and wondering if we were going to have to stop the race, which we would've if the moose had come back towards the course). 

Seconding the library books, and +1 for Libby, which lets me just download them onto my iPad!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2792 on: January 23, 2023, 11:24:27 AM »

Enjoy the snow!

It was ... a day. Someone else drove, but we were in a car for 5+ hours (combined). It was single-digits while we were mostly standing stil (and cheering for the racers)l on the race course, and my partner and I wound up kind of trying to dissuade a moose from re-crossing the race course by ringing cow-bells (and wondering if we were going to have to stop the race, which we would've if the moose had come back towards the course). 

Seconding the library books, and +1 for Libby, which lets me just download them onto my iPad!

You don't want to mess with moose.  They're kinda goofy looking and usually pretty relaxed animals so people tend to underestimate them.  If they get upset they're very capable of killing you - unexpectedly quickly.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2793 on: January 23, 2023, 11:38:22 AM »

+1

I also enjoy chatting with my librarians. That's another cheap thing that makes me happy. :)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2794 on: January 23, 2023, 01:41:32 PM »

Enjoy the snow!

You don't want to mess with moose.  They're kinda goofy looking and usually pretty relaxed animals so people tend to underestimate them.  If they get upset they're very capable of killing you - unexpectedly quickly.

Yep -- unpredictable, scary, and freaking HUGE. But there are 6 or so that live at the X-C ski area where we patrol and where the race was, so we mostly try to keep the people and the moose separated... I guess my "cheap thing" for the weekend was "I got to see a moose!" which was improved by "and it was moving steadily away from me at the time!"

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #2795 on: January 24, 2023, 12:07:10 PM »
Homemade brownies! I made a batch to take to a friend's house and they were so good I made another batch for us to have at home.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2796 on: January 24, 2023, 12:27:03 PM »
@jeninco  @GuitarStv

I agree that moose sightings are amazing (when from a distance). My parents have animal crossing paths on their property so whenever they don't have a dog, you can see the footprints (and once a mother and baby moose resting under a tree).

Yesterday I spotted a Northern Goshawk while out for a wintery hike. Apparently a rare sighting and thankfully I was able to get a (blurry) photo. So wild and beautiful.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2797 on: January 25, 2023, 09:47:00 PM »
The luxury of time. Today, I worked out for two hours at the gym this morning, went home and had lunch, and am now lying in a sunny spot on the sofa reading the forums and a good book from the library.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2798 on: January 26, 2023, 07:54:25 AM »
Getting lost in a good book. The hours fly by.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2799 on: January 26, 2023, 08:28:28 AM »
A job well done.  I just finished painting all of my kitchen cabinets.  Dramatically cheaper than hiring it out, probably not done to the same standard, but now I get to appreciate the fruits of my labor daily.