Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938942 times)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2700 on: June 26, 2022, 07:18:33 AM »
A good night’s sleep, a delicious coffee and a painfree run

That does sound nice.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2701 on: June 26, 2022, 11:15:35 AM »
A good night’s sleep, a delicious coffee and a painfree run

That does sound nice.

Studies indicate that forgoing the coffee will significantly increase the chances of the good night's sleep.  :P

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2702 on: June 26, 2022, 08:46:37 PM »
That super satisfying pleasant soreness the day after a hard workout

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2703 on: June 27, 2022, 07:16:46 AM »
That super satisfying pleasant soreness the day after a hard workout

If you play your cards right, you can get that every day.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2704 on: June 27, 2022, 08:18:18 AM »
@GuitarStv-- you are so right.  I love the little bit of soreness the next day ALMOST as much as the sweat soaking through my shirt on the day of a hard workout.  Hurts so good.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2705 on: June 27, 2022, 10:30:24 AM »
Sitting outside in barely-breezy 75-degree weather, on the deck I built myself, on chairs given to us by a neighbor who was upgrading, in the shade of a massive umbrella picked up off a curb, eating ice cream and chatting with family.  Life is good.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2706 on: June 27, 2022, 11:04:30 AM »
Sitting outside in barely-breezy 75-degree weather, on the deck I built myself, on chairs given to us by a neighbor who was upgrading, in the shade of a massive umbrella picked up off a curb, eating ice cream and chatting with family.  Life is good.

Realizing you could be anywhere in the world, I love that you are eating ice cream at 10:30am (my time)!!!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2707 on: June 27, 2022, 04:18:38 PM »

Realizing you could be anywhere in the world, I love that you are eating ice cream at 10:30am (my time)!!!
LOL!  I was describing yesterday evening.  That said, I have at times enjoyed a root beer float at 10:30 am! :D

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2708 on: June 27, 2022, 07:33:15 PM »

LOL!  I was describing yesterday evening.  That said, I have at times enjoyed a root beer float at 10:30 am! :D

I see nothing wrong with that.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2709 on: June 28, 2022, 03:41:49 PM »

I see nothing wrong with that.

Am I the only one who thinks morning ice cream is totally normal??

Coffee and ice cream is a fantastic combo.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2710 on: June 28, 2022, 03:51:18 PM »
'course, so is beer and ice cream: if you use stout and a really good vanilla it makes a great shake.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #2711 on: June 28, 2022, 05:47:23 PM »
You can make an incredible float using raspberry lambic and vanilla ice cream.

Not exactly "cheap" but it won't break the bank.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2712 on: June 28, 2022, 05:51:41 PM »
'course, so is beer and ice cream: if you use stout and a really good vanilla it makes a great shake.

Less appropriate for the morning though.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2713 on: June 29, 2022, 08:04:41 AM »

Really???

I'd have never considered this combination, but can kinda mentally picture it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2714 on: June 29, 2022, 08:24:29 AM »

Really???

Really? You totally strike me as the kind of dude who would figure out beer floats on his own. I used to love a chocolate ice cream and Blanche de Chambly float back when I drank alcohol. I just found dealcoholized Kronenbourg Blanc though, and that would work well.

Many beers do well with sweet flavours.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2715 on: June 29, 2022, 08:57:55 AM »

Really???

Really? You totally strike me as the kind of dude who would figure out beer floats on his own. I used to love a chocolate ice cream and Blanche de Chambly float back when I drank alcohol. I just found dealcoholized Kronenbourg Blanc though, and that would work well.

Yeah, I wanted to keep it easy with the vanilla option, but chocolate works really, really well with some beer varieties.

Now it's 9 AM, I have a ton of stuff to do today (including some technical work) and I kind of want a beer float... Thanks, everyone!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2716 on: June 29, 2022, 09:22:02 AM »

Really???

Yeah, I wanted to keep it easy with the vanilla option, but chocolate works really, really well with some beer varieties.

Now it's 9 AM, I have a ton of stuff to do today (including some technical work) and I kind of want a beer float... Thanks, everyone!

As I said, Kronenbourg makes a dealcoholized white beer, perfectly acceptable for a morning beer float

EngineerOurFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2717 on: June 29, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »
The new handsoap my wife switched over to ~6 months ago and the corresponding all purpose spray to clean the counters with.  It smells amazing and literally makes me clean the counters more often just because I like the smell.

My ~$10 coffee grinder that I've had for ~10 years.  Thing is a tank and the smell of ground coffee beans might be just as important/nice as the coffee itself.

Pilot G-2 pens.  My wife and I literally don't buy any other pens.  Love how these feel when writing and get very frustrated when force to use inferior alternatives.

Adam's Polishes Leather Conditioner.  That stuff smells amazing.  When using a foam applicator, a little goes a very long way.  Keeps the leather in the car nice and helps car smell fresh.

Our Roku.  Between the ability to use an app on my phone as the remote, a button on the device to ping and find the remote, the small profile of the actual device, support for 4K, and the generally easy-to-use nature of the device as well as continually updated/supported apps (unlike every Smart TV I've ever owned)....the Roku is pretty amazing.

My carryon suitcase.  It was a cheap gift, but damn this thing is durable.  Hundreds of work trips and this carryon suitcase has never let me down.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2718 on: June 29, 2022, 10:05:56 AM »

Really???

More of a rootbeer than real beer guy myself honestly.  :P  I may try this ice-cream beer thing though, it has piqued my curiosity.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2719 on: June 29, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »
My workout membership.  I started working out with this company for free in 2015 (there were occasionally ads on the videos) and it was something I actually stuck with.  They started a premium membership so they are making a lot of subscription only workouts.  Although I could have stayed with the free version and had plenty of workouts to keep me busy (over 600), I decided I liked some of the premium features and I wanted to support the couple that was making a go of their small business.  So I subscribed about two years ago. 

Over the last year, I've paid less than $0.22 per workout. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2720 on: June 29, 2022, 03:01:37 PM »
The Uniball Jetstream SX-210. It’s such a good pen - beautiful writing action, fast drying waterproof ink - it’s worth paying for and just ditching all the cheap or free temperamental or gluggy ballpoints. It feels as good as writing with a fountain pen but without the risk that a drop of water will make everything unreadable. (I donated my Pelikan after realising I hadn’t used it in a few years because I always reached for a jetstream)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2721 on: June 29, 2022, 03:20:51 PM »
The Uniball Jetstream SX-210. It’s such a good pen - beautiful writing action, fast drying waterproof ink - it’s worth paying for and just ditching all the cheap or free temperamental or gluggy ballpoints. It feels as good as writing with a fountain pen but without the risk that a drop of water will make everything unreadable. (I donated my Pelikan after realising I hadn’t used it in a few years because I always reached for a jetstream)

I don't use pens if I can avoid it, but am a really big fan of the uniball Kuru Toga mechanical pencil.  It's the best mechanical pencil for writing that I've ever used.  You just never break the pencil lead.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2722 on: June 30, 2022, 04:16:32 PM »
Uniballs are one of the few commercial products to which I have borderline-creepy-intense loyalty.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #2723 on: July 01, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
The sound of the washing machine doing a load of laundry.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2724 on: July 01, 2022, 07:51:38 PM »
Homemade soft pretzels. The key is to brush melted butter on it as soon as it comes out of the oven.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2725 on: July 01, 2022, 09:36:39 PM »
Taking my dog for a long walk when it finally cools off in the evening. When I look down and she's trotting along with her big pittie smile and she looks up at me with a face full of love and happiness--right in the feels.

We stop to put items we find in the street in the appropriate receptacle;  cans in recycling bins, soggy newspapers in trash cans, a penny in my pocket :) We even found a nice throwing stick in the gutter to take home. We checked out the little library and made it home before full dark.

Speaking of ice cream, I've been having an Aldi knockoff Klondike bar with my dinner. So nice and cool when it's so hot out.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #2726 on: July 01, 2022, 09:41:45 PM »
Taking my dog for a long walk when it finally cools off in the evening.

Summer evening walks are the best. Especially with fireflies out.

We went out for one a couple days ago and, on our way home, saw a huge tree with fireflies lighting it up with sparkles way up into the darkness.

kina

• Pencil Stache
  • sea urchin currency
« Reply #2727 on: July 02, 2022, 05:58:36 AM »
Taking my dog for a long walk when it finally cools off in the evening.

Summer evening walks are the best. Especially with fireflies out.

We went out for one a couple days ago and, on our way home, saw a huge tree with fireflies lighting it up with sparkles way up into the darkness.
Firefly gazing is magical.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2728 on: July 05, 2022, 10:38:02 AM »
I agree. We live out in the country so the dog goes tromping around in the yard (field) out front while I sit and watch the fireflies for a while. Also, the airplanes 30K+ feet up while I wonder where they are coming from or going to.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2729 on: July 05, 2022, 12:34:10 PM »

Really???

my stomach is bubbling just thinking about it.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2730 on: July 11, 2022, 06:35:42 AM »
Washing windows is a cheap thing that makes me happy, especially when the sun moves far enough north in the summer to shine through some of them, highlighting how dirty they can get.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2731 on: July 15, 2022, 04:12:18 PM »
Received a $60 gift card to one of our favorite restaurants.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2732 on: July 19, 2022, 03:21:26 PM »
Good takeaway coffee drink with a friend while walking her dog through a waterfront park.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2733 on: July 20, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »
Got up on the early side and went for a walk with a friend and her dog at 7 am, before it got crazy hot here. We usually go at 11:30, but this was so very much nicer!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2734 on: July 20, 2022, 11:20:30 AM »
Sitting, drinking tea, watching whales

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2735 on: July 20, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
A long phone call with an old friend - left me with a smile on my face. We cheerfully blasted various US/Euro/China politics, the 1%, international banking groups and their shenanigans. Very satisfying!:)
Then I put together my new coffee maker (not so cheap but I paid for it with gift cards I'd earned or received).
Next I made myself an excellent lunch from leftovers. Isn't it wonderful when you can combine a bunch of itty-bitty parts into a tasty treat?
Followed by a great cup of coffee and a slice of apple pie. Two of my favorite things in life:).

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2736 on: July 20, 2022, 05:21:15 PM »
My workout membership.  I started working out with this company for free in 2015 (there were occasionally ads on the videos) and it was something I actually stuck with.  They started a premium membership so they are making a lot of subscription only workouts.  Although I could have stayed with the free version and had plenty of workouts to keep me busy (over 600), I decided I liked some of the premium features and I wanted to support the couple that was making a go of their small business.  So I subscribed about two years ago. 

Over the last year, I've paid less than $0.22 per workout.

Fitnessblender? I adore them. About to renew my yearly Plus subscription because I love the new stuff.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2737 on: July 20, 2022, 05:22:54 PM »
Homemade pita breads. Just 250 grams of flour, some yeast, salt, and oil. Faster to make than a loaf of bread (only needs one rise) and sooo delicious. Makes store-bought pita taste like cardboard.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2738 on: July 20, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »
Homemade pita breads. Just 250 grams of flour, some yeast, salt, and oil. Faster to make than a loaf of bread (only needs one rise) and sooo delicious. Makes store-bought pita taste like cardboard.
@Dreamer40 , could we get that recipe? Sounds fantastic with homemade hummus!

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2739 on: July 20, 2022, 08:05:36 PM »
Reading a good book from the library or a used book sale.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2740 on: July 21, 2022, 04:41:55 PM »

You bet! This is almost identical to the version I have in a book.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pitta_bread_97296/amp

I don’t use seeds in mine. The dough rises for about an hour (longer on cold days). And I bake them on parchment-paper-lined trays instead floured-trays. The recipe is easy to double and I bake 2 trays at a time to speed it up.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2741 on: July 23, 2022, 02:27:33 AM »

You bet! This is almost identical to the version I have in a book.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pitta_bread_97296/amp

I don’t use seeds in mine. The dough rises for about an hour (longer on cold days). And I bake them on parchment-paper-lined trays instead floured-trays. The recipe is easy to double and I bake 2 trays at a time to speed it up.

I love home made flat breads too.  Ours is for two, to use as a "wrap" around refried roast meat (with loads of garlic), lettuce, cheese, tomato, capsicum and greek yoghurt.

150 grams plain flour
105 grams warm water
8 grams olive oil
5 grams yeast
3 grams salt

Mix it all together, and let it rise in it's bowl until it about doubles.  In summer, about an hour.  In winter, 2 hours.

Then turn it out onto a floured table, cut in half and make 2 balls.  Roll it out into a large flat circle (don't work it too much and use plenty of flour to stop it sticking).  When about 25 cm's diameter, place it onto a very hot flat plat (we use the BBQ) and let heat until bubbles form.  Sometimes I get a full puffed up bread, sometimes just bubbles.  Trun and leave for around a minute.  Pull off the heat and use immediately.

Sometimes I add a bit of paprika.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2742 on: July 23, 2022, 05:42:56 AM »
@middo, thanks for the additional recipe!  It looks like I need to get a food scale... I'm a typical American who usually uses imperial volume measures, but the more baking I do the more it seems measuring by weight is the way to go!

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #2743 on: July 24, 2022, 05:05:40 AM »
Sitting in the garden on a quiet summer Sunday afternoon, listening to the regular hydroponics water cascade (for salads and veggies). Flowers are abundant, too, so I don't really need vacations ☺

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #2744 on: July 24, 2022, 06:06:34 PM »
DIY to for patio around the house. It's so satisfying to lift and lay bricks, and see the beautiful/functional outcome right in front of you.

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2745 on: July 24, 2022, 08:52:16 PM »
@middo, thanks for the additional recipe!  It looks like I need to get a food scale... I'm a typical American who usually uses imperial volume measures, but the more baking I do the more it seems measuring by weight is the way to go!

Besides accuracy, weight is also a lot easier! Put your bowl on the scale and start dumping ingredients in. No need to fuss with cups and spoons (or have a bunch of little things to wash after). I’ve been using the same $10 food scale for years and it works fine. Doesn’t need to be fancy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2746 on: July 29, 2022, 02:58:53 PM »
Taking care of our things and lengthening their usefulness. Like this so much knowing I don't need to replace something when I can repair or just take care of it in the first place.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #2747 on: July 29, 2022, 03:03:46 PM »
Walking and swimming.  They are the best.  Being in nature/outside.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2748 on: July 30, 2022, 01:46:42 AM »
Homemade sushi. Spent $14 and fed five kids and two adults.

srrb

• Stubble
« Reply #2749 on: December 03, 2022, 06:36:46 PM »
Random shoot-the-sh*t calls with my grown children.