Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938961 times)

Malossi792

• Stubble
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2550 on: June 11, 2021, 11:06:36 AM »
Screech Owls talking to each other somewhere near our balcony last night (even though we live in the city!).
We also hear more of the owls - or maybe paying more attention. Even caught a couple courting in the backyard once.

I hope the courting couple were owls.

Seems it would still be an interesting event to observe either way.
We have an entire industry built on observing such events though.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2551 on: June 11, 2021, 11:23:13 AM »
Love how tidying up a space makes it feel completely different. Yesterday I dusted the objects on our floor-to-ceiling bookshelf and quickly hand-mopped the floor.
DELIGHTFUL!

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2552 on: June 11, 2021, 11:42:27 AM »
I hope the courting couple were owls.

If they were owls, how would I get the clip onto <something>HUB?

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2553 on: June 13, 2021, 12:20:56 PM »
We have an entire industry built on observing such events though.

Ornithology? :-)

Another cheap thing that makes me happy: a sporting event I want to watch (Euro "2020") on a channel I can get with my rabbit-ears antenna!

myemail1045

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2554 on: June 13, 2021, 08:57:56 PM »
Campfire

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2555 on: July 17, 2021, 11:05:55 PM »
Photography.

OK, this can be expensive if you want to (gear, travels etc etc) but the basic act of observing something pretty or interesting and taking a good picture of it. Feeling a bit artistic. I love it.

And once you wade through the more spammy stuff, there's lots of good information out on the internet that can teach you to get better at this craft.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2556 on: July 30, 2021, 08:04:19 PM »
The hot, grossly humid weather broke, at least temporarily. It's 66⁰F and only 63% humidity at 10 PM, instead of 78⁰F and 85% humidity. I can actually dry our laundry before it reeks of mildew.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2558 on: July 30, 2021, 09:15:04 PM »
The hot, grossly humid weather broke, at least temporarily. It's 66⁰F and only 63% humidity at 10 PM, instead of 78⁰F and 85% humidity. I can actually dry our laundry before it reeks of mildew.
80's makes me happy for afternoon temperatures - don't mind the humidity much but don't like cooler temps as much for biking.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2559 on: July 30, 2021, 09:18:35 PM »
80's makes me happy for afternoon temperatures - don't mind the humidity much but don't like cooler temps as much for biking.

We don't have central AC so when the humidity gets above 80%, everything (including the floors) feels sticky and hanging laundry doesn't dry before mildewing. It's not pleasant.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2560 on: July 30, 2021, 10:36:30 PM »
Our two peach trees' harvest ripened in the last week, and we picked all the peaches a couple days ago.  We got probably 75 lbs of peaches, most of them from one of the two trees (the other is sick).  They're spread across one of our counters, and our kitchen smells heavenly.  Fresh, ripe, straight-from-the-tree peaches are the best.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2562 on: August 03, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »
Finding stuff you need on Craiglist or FB marketplace. Got a 1.5 ton 19 SEER minisplit for $700, got 5 interior doors with correct size and swing for $40 a piece and they are solid wood, 9 panel and already painted white.  The doors alone saved a pile.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2563 on: August 03, 2021, 09:51:01 PM »
I served as precinct chairperson for a local election today. It was fun, humbling, and absolutely fascinating. I've worked three elections and still can't believe that my city pays me to do this (last year's earnings were split between a few charities).

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2564 on: August 08, 2021, 02:50:32 PM »
I *might* have posted this before, but omg Trader Joe's chocolate croissants.  You get a package of 4 for less than $5 which is about the cost of just one at a bakery. And there is no better time to eat them than when they are fresh out of the oven, which you don't get at a bakery unless you are extremely lucky/early.  We have this for our Sunday Breakfast Ritual (our version of church) once every month or two and every time I just marvel at the texture (soft! doughy! flaky!) and the lovely warm melty chocolate.  They also have almond croissants, but I'm so taken with the chocolate ones, I can't bear to switch even for one Sunday - but I bet they are delicious, too.  There are a lot of good deals to be had at Trader Joe's, but this is the one where I reflect at my good fortune every single time I indulge.

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #2565 on: August 09, 2021, 09:08:45 AM »
They also have almond croissants, but I'm so taken with the chocolate ones, I can't bear to switch even for one Sunday - but I bet they are delicious, too. 

I could not agree with this more. For the record: the almond are equally delicious. Part of my nightly coffee-prep ritual is sticking one of these in the electric toaster to rise for the morning. Box and a half a week, comes out to less than 10 bucks for a fresh pastry every day. No better incentive to get up early!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2566 on: August 12, 2021, 11:11:29 AM »
I *might* have posted this before, but omg Trader Joe's chocolate croissants.  You get a package of 4 for less than $5 which is about the cost of just one at a bakery. And there is no better time to eat them than when they are fresh out of the oven, which you don't get at a bakery unless you are extremely lucky/early.  We have this for our Sunday Breakfast Ritual (our version of church) once every month or two and every time I just marvel at the texture (soft! doughy! flaky!) and the lovely warm melty chocolate.  They also have almond croissants, but I'm so taken with the chocolate ones, I can't bear to switch even for one Sunday - but I bet they are delicious, too.  There are a lot of good deals to be had at Trader Joe's, but this is the one where I reflect at my good fortune every single time I indulge.

Damn you for reminding me, sui generis.  I love those but fell out of the habit on shopping at TJs during the pandemic.  Now that I feel comfortable shopping anywhere I'll be heading for a pandemic 15.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2567 on: August 12, 2021, 04:18:19 PM »
finding interesting things on the roadside on my bike commute. i found an old necchi sewing machine the other day. i had to get the company truck to go back and get it as it was too heavy to carry on my bike (35lbs). a few drops of oil and it works like a champ.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2568 on: August 14, 2021, 01:10:24 PM »
A fresh tomato from our backyard garden, sliced and eaten with salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2569 on: August 17, 2021, 08:55:58 AM »
Hearing the cicadas singing. I'm on the east coast and while they're a little gross, I am still delighted by them.

It sounds like an alien invasion from a 1950's science fiction movie. I do like it (for a while, not permanently).

Except when one of the cats decide to bring one inside at 5AM. We have a cat that has figured out how to unlock the cat door though I haven't entirely witnessed it. I do love the sounds of summer - crickets, frogs, the cicadas, birds, coyotes, livestock, etc. Looking forward to the sounds of winter too - the wind in the bare trees.

stream26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2570 on: August 17, 2021, 05:50:59 PM »
I've found how I can effectively made myself a chart of basic things I need to do each day. I just synchronized my goal planner with a calendar and it’s much better to keep me accountable.
It sounds dumb, but it makes me excited to look at the list to see what to do next! 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 09:28:35 PM by stream26 »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2571 on: August 18, 2021, 04:59:54 AM »
I've found how I can effectively made myself a chart of basic things I need to do each day. I just synchronized my goal planner with a calendar and it’s much better to keep me accountable.
It sounds dumb, but it makes me excited to look at the list to see what to do next!

i love lists. it's so nice to check things off and i don't waste time trying to remember what it was i was supposed to do.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2572 on: August 18, 2021, 05:12:52 AM »

The look on someone's face when they taste something new and delicious for the first time.  Yesterday I made chocolate chip cookies, and our foreign exchange student -- who had never had one -- LOVED them. 

I remember when our kids were young and ate their first ice cream cones.  Similar wondrous and happy look. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2573 on: August 18, 2021, 05:55:20 AM »

The look on someone's face when they taste something new and delicious for the first time.  Yesterday I made chocolate chip cookies, and our foreign exchange student -- who had never had one -- LOVED them. 

I remember when our kids were young and ate their first ice cream cones.  Similar wondrous and happy look.
Ain't sugar grand?

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2574 on: August 18, 2021, 08:02:58 AM »
If we're talking sugar, I was introduced to an Italian bakery place that I didn't know existed.  I bought a box of fresh almond cookies, so delicious.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2575 on: August 19, 2021, 10:51:31 PM »
Used up two ripe bananas and made banana bread today. Very yummy!

Canuck042

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2576 on: October 21, 2021, 09:49:23 AM »
You know how many of us just buy a 6-pack of tube socks when they need some new ones? Well, when you get home, don't put them all into your sock drawer and start using them. Leave a couple pairs in their plastic bag, unused.

Then, on a day that you're a bit down, or just aren't feeling life, and will just sit around home all day: crack out one of those fresh pairs. Even cheap socks have that extra mm of cushion when they're new and feel pretty premium. You'll notice on every trip from the couch to the fridge all day! :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2577 on: October 22, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »
My frugal kid and biking places makes me happy.

DD has a play date today. We were talking about ways to get to her friend’s house. It’s a 10 minute taxi  ride ($4), 20 minute bike ride ($0), or 30 minute bus ride ($0.40). DD asked to bike there because it’s faster and saves money. All of this makes me happy — her play date, her frugal 7 year old mind, being able to get some exercise, and being able to use my bike to run errands while she is playing with her friend.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #2578 on: October 25, 2021, 01:02:46 PM »
Hiking and biking in the north woods in October.  I'll admit biking has a little entry cost, but nearly free after that.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2579 on: October 25, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »
An empty laundry hamper.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2580 on: October 25, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
You know how many of us just buy a 6-pack of tube socks when they need some new ones? Well, when you get home, don't put them all into your sock drawer and start using them. Leave a couple pairs in their plastic bag, unused.

Then, on a day that you're a bit down, or just aren't feeling life, and will just sit around home all day: crack out one of those fresh pairs. Even cheap socks have that extra mm of cushion when they're new and feel pretty premium. You'll notice on every trip from the couch to the fridge all day! :)

Thanks for the reminder.  I'm running low on socks.  ;)

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2581 on: October 25, 2021, 02:20:38 PM »
Walking through the woods with my wife with both of us singing "The Teddy Bears' Picnic"

blue_green_sparks

• Bristles
  • FIRE'd 2018
« Reply #2582 on: October 25, 2021, 03:33:42 PM »
Writing and recording a song, like this one...
https://youtu.be/XZExHXgJju4

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #2583 on: October 26, 2021, 08:18:13 AM »
I have a late work call today, and my neighbor had an early one. So I'm dropping off their puppy with my dog at day care in a little while.

My happy thing: watching the two puppies roll around mouthing at each other on the bed as I drink my coffee. They're just happy as clams and all is well with their world.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2584 on: October 27, 2021, 08:31:24 AM »
Put a bag of frozen Atlantic salmon pieces into my cart, then saw fresh Atlantic salmon on sale at same price ($5 a pound, which is cheap) so put the frozen salmon back. Went home, cooked up half the fresh salmon (baked it, pretty good) then froze the other half for later. 

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #2585 on: October 28, 2021, 09:33:57 PM »
Baking.

Morning gratitude list.

Watching The Simpsons with DD (age 14) near the fireplace.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2586 on: November 02, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »

I do this with underwear as well. Excellent tip. That new feeling... (wagging imaginary primate tail)

LetsRetireYoung

• Stubble
  • Earn more. Spend less. Invest the rest. ;)
    • my Let's Retire Young blog
« Reply #2587 on: November 03, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »
Watching my sourdough starter grow after I feed it twice a day. (I'll start cooking with it sometime this week!)

Admiring my air plants - one hangs in the kitchen, the other one hangs in the shower and is a lot bigger thanks to all that warm water haha

Spying on my 3 little guppies (Fishmael, Fichonne, and Fishabella) as they swim around and socialize in their luxurious 20-gallon aquarium.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2588 on: November 03, 2021, 02:21:20 PM »
Working local elections. It's fun and interesting, contributes to our democracy, doesn't cost me anything except a few hours of sleep, and I will receive a check from the city to fuel some holiday season charitable donations.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2589 on: November 03, 2021, 03:48:37 PM »
Advocating for more housing and bike infrastructure and less oil drilling in my community

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2590 on: November 04, 2021, 06:06:34 AM »
A new screen protector for my phone to replace my old cracked and chipped one.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2591 on: November 04, 2021, 06:20:49 AM »
Listening to good discussions by experts who bring out the best in each other.  This time it's a Youtube discussion about about microphones by a couple of sound engineers.  :)

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2592 on: November 04, 2021, 08:09:13 AM »
An empty laundry hamper.

ooohh yeahhhh, I'll take that and raise you an empty kitchen sink.

Also a freshly cleaned bathtub when I want to bathe instead of shower.

Peony2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2593 on: November 07, 2021, 02:06:32 PM »
Spent yesterday completing a 1,000 jig saw puzzle with family members.  Good conversation and company.  I love fall and winter for the opportunity it provides for cozy pleasures such as puzzling, reading etc.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 05:39:29 PM by Peony2019 »

seemsright

• Bristles
« Reply #2594 on: November 07, 2021, 03:33:23 PM »
my weekly bowl of popcorn that DH makes me before movie afternoon...that I promptly ignore as I am not a movie fan...and put on my noise canceling headphones and zone out while Sunday dinner is in the oven....best part of the cold wet months. 

nalor511

• Stubble
« Reply #2595 on: November 07, 2021, 03:39:39 PM »
Hot cup of water with lemon in the fall/winter

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2596 on: November 07, 2021, 07:02:14 PM »
Fresh baked bread

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #2597 on: November 09, 2021, 02:00:40 PM »
The satisfaction of dropping off big bags of fallen leaves at our local municipal composting center.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2598 on: November 10, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »
My new toilet seat. The old one had cracked and been repaired a couple of times, and I finally replaced it with one on which I splurged the extra $5 for a "soft-close" feature. Every time one of the potty-training grandkids is thwarted in the attempt to bang the lid down, I am happy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2599 on: November 12, 2021, 09:04:15 AM »
Taking care of our tools - some old, some older, few expensive, many used when they came to us.

Can be the tools in the kitchen or the tools in the garage.

Chores must be done, that's life. Chores done with good tools can be satisfying. A sharp edge on our 50 year old electric tractor's mower blades (possibly 50 year old blades!) A sharp edge on my pocket knife. A paint brush with miles on it but with many more miles left in it. A screw driver that fits the screw slot just right.

A job well done. A rest and a beverage cold or hot depending on the season. Sitting on the porch listening to life around me.

Sat on the porch last night at 2:30AM listening to the breeze and the trees. The world at sleep. My insomniac dog marching around the field with her nose in the cold grass and leaves.