Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939024 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2500 on: May 01, 2021, 07:03:02 AM »
With our lovely spring weather I've been going to bed in the evening with the windows open, and listening to the wood thrushes sing.  It echoes in the woods.  Such a beautiful, ethereal song -- It makes you feel like you're in a magical place like Rivendell . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7TXeou9XQk

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2501 on: May 01, 2021, 07:48:07 AM »
yes birds :)Right now I have the hummingbird coming around, we call him Spud, and titmouse, cardinal, woodpeckers, a whole bunch of others. It is lovely.
I bought a really cheap magnetic screen thing for our back door, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ESSA9VO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_389WP8KMGFFRX98Z84KK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
and the feeder is right outside it. I'm drinking a cup of tea right now watching the birds - or I will be once I'm done typing.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #2502 on: May 01, 2021, 08:30:39 AM »
I'll third the birds! Right now I'm watching a flicker maneuver around our small suet block on the deck. My cat is "armchair hunting" the flicker from the couch, but due to a sturdy glass door the flicker is completely safe and it knows it.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2503 on: May 01, 2021, 10:03:50 AM »
We don't have songbirds, but we have peeper frogs in the swam near our house.  I don't know what species they actually are, but they make this cool, musical peeping noise.  It's so lovely on our evening walks.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2504 on: May 01, 2021, 07:06:34 PM »
I love the peepers this time of year

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2505 on: May 02, 2021, 03:23:58 AM »
Spent four dollars on succulents and made a little fairy garden. DD painted a little wooden house to put in the fairy garden.

SotI

• Bristles
« Reply #2506 on: May 02, 2021, 03:50:24 AM »
My therapist says I need to practice more intentional gratitude so here goes:

Good coffee
Biking weather
Getting $100 worth of books for free from the library
Fresh herbs from the garden

I also have to remind myself regularly to focus on positive things and experiences. It is so easy to fall into the fault-finding mental trap of negativity.
So I second the fresh herbs - and lettuces! - from the garden (or atm, our greenhouse) and the biking weather.
We started the seedlings in the beginning of March and now have already lots of chives, mint and parsley - as well as a variety of lettuces.
Basil and coriander are still a bit behind, and ofc we are still waiting for the tomatoes and zucchinis to blossom.

Add to the cheap things that make me happy: a cozy, lazy Sunday morning, sitting in my PJ just reading curious and entertaining things (not so much news, too toxic these days) with a fruity non-alcoholic cocktai or herbal infusion.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2507 on: May 02, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »
First cheap thing that makes me happy: Foraging. We spent a day in the woods and came home with plenty of spruce tips, elderflowers, and nettle (along with a few stings).

Second cheap thing that makes me happy: Cooking, preserving, and brewing with the foraged foods.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2508 on: May 02, 2021, 10:54:22 AM »
Birds birds birds!!!!

Migration is in full swing, and in our yard or neighborhood in the past two weeks we've had:

western kingbirds ('squeaky toy birds' as I call them), avocets, black-necked stilts, scissortail flycatchers...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2509 on: May 02, 2021, 10:56:04 AM »
...broad-winged hawks, Swainson's hawks, and Mississippi kites all arriving back. 

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2510 on: May 02, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »
Meanwhile, the squabbly, free-loading pine siskins are still straggling around refusing to go north.

And in the past couple of days we've seen yellow warblers, breeding plumage lark buntings, and a peregrine falcon all moving through on their way north.

Side note, I'm always amazed when we are out and about how few people notice spectacular raptors flying right overhead.  Peregrines, prairie falcons, red-tailed hawks, and Swainson's hawks will regularly cruise the 'pigeon scene' at the outdoor pool on the college campus, flying RIGHT OVER the pool full of people.  I'll be rubbernecking at a peregrine and look around and no one will have noticed that the fastest bird on earth just flew right over their head about 30 feet up LOL. Years ago, I remember spending ten minutes standing in a Trader Joe's parking lot watching a pair of peregrines doing a mating display flight right overhead. Not one other person noticed, which was sad.

April and May are so fun!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2511 on: May 02, 2021, 11:02:28 AM »
This year we have red-winged blackbirds on our property, which has never happened before.  I love listening to them.

I've also seen a few yellow-headed blackbirds for the first time, as well as a single yellow-rumped warbler.  Having our birdfeeders right outside our kitchen window is amazing.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2512 on: May 02, 2021, 11:18:02 AM »
This year we have red-winged blackbirds on our property, which has never happened before.  I love listening to them.

I've also seen a few yellow-headed blackbirds for the first time, as well as a single yellow-rumped warbler.  Having our birdfeeders right outside our kitchen window is amazing.

RWB calls are DELIGHTFUL.  We have curve billed thrashers in our neighborhood every year, but we finally have a pair with a territory that includes our yard and their song is also absolutely charming. Aw, look at these little trouble makers!

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #2513 on: May 02, 2021, 02:38:14 PM »
1st - @wenchsenior, did you take those pictures? They look fantastic!

2nd - I'm not sure whether this qualifies as cheap, perhaps the advanced mustachians here can reach a verdict. My local aquarium offers a single year membership for $95. They've just reopened, and I spent the morning wandering around and crying in front of the sea otter tank, I was so happy to be back. I can now go after work whenever there's a spot within under their reduced occupancy limits. There's just something about planting yourself in front of a jellyfish tank and staring for a half hour... it feels like magic.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:41:10 PM by rebel_quietude »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2514 on: May 02, 2021, 02:51:15 PM »
I found fresh, edible mushrooms today on my walk. When I was least expecting it, with the winter just gone and no rain for many weeks. Luckily I carried an emergency foldable basket and a knife in my backpack.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2515 on: May 02, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »
1st - @wenchsenior, did you take those pictures? They look fantastic!

2nd - I'm not sure whether this qualifies as cheap, perhaps the advanced mustachians here can reach a verdict. My local aquarium offers a single year membership for $95. They've just reopened, and I spent the morning wandering around and crying in front of the sea otter tank, I was so happy to be back. I can now go after work whenever there's a spot within under their reduced occupancy limits. There's just something about planting yourself in front of a jellyfish tank and staring for a half hour... it feels like magic.

Hell no, I don't have that kind of patience!  It's enough trouble to chase them around with binocs.  I just cribbed the pics from various birding sites.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2516 on: May 02, 2021, 06:39:45 PM »
@rebel_quietude I am ALL about aquariums. The deep blue quiet is a balm for the soul, especially if you go off hours and are the only one there!

My sister got a membership to our famous-ish local aquarium so she could study in front of the big sea tank. Talk about feeling like a billionaire!

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #2517 on: May 06, 2021, 11:56:19 AM »
Today we went to a animal rescue shelter and adopted a sweet five year old brindle pitbull. The volunteer asked us if we were looking for anything specific breeds and we told her that we wanted a dog that we could take on long walks and who was friendly(all dogs love my wife, however a lot of dogs either react to me with fear or aggression). The first dog we looked at was a spaniel puppy(10 months). He was fine until the volunteer walked away, then he hid behind my wife and growled at me, so an obvious no go. The second spaniel puppy was more friendly but still more skittish with us when the volunteer wasn't there. Then they brought in Gemma, who they had already warned us was nervous around guys. She entered the pen, came right up to me an sat in my lap for scritchies. The volunteer immediately pulled out her phone and started taking pictures because she had never seen her act like that with a man before, especially at first meeting. Needless to say we adopted her on the spot. Gemma had been abandoned at a boarding kennel in February 2020 and then ended up in the animal rescue shelter in January of this year so she's had rough last 15 months. She is such a sweet girl and we're so happy to have been able to give her a home.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2518 on: May 06, 2021, 07:25:43 PM »
Did some youtube yoga videos today. I always forget 1. How hard yoga is 2. How great I feel afterwards. The movements are so simple, but it activates muscles that my office worker body never uses.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2519 on: May 07, 2021, 02:43:05 PM »
Actually knowing (and liking) our neighbors. Yesterday was gorgeous. While DD played with her friends at the playground, I kept bumping into people coming home from work. Spent a few minutes just chatting with people. It was nice.

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2520 on: May 09, 2021, 03:20:28 PM »
A family Zoom today, with the whole crew. We looked at old photographs sharing the screen. Lots of reminiscing. :)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2521 on: May 09, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »
Teaching my kid to drive. A hour in an empty parking lot is cheap fun for both of us.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2522 on: May 09, 2021, 08:34:38 PM »
Walking on a sunny day (seeing how much happier all the people you pass are because the sun showed up)
Light is so enriching.
Plus. Photosynthesis..the leaves are bursting out of their buds in our little mountain town, quite late compared to so many other places but it is light, bright green everywhere you look.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2523 on: May 10, 2021, 12:00:42 AM »
Today we went to a animal rescue shelter and adopted a sweet five year old brindle pitbull. The volunteer asked us if we were looking for anything specific breeds and we told her that we wanted a dog that we could take on long walks and who was friendly(all dogs love my wife, however a lot of dogs either react to me with fear or aggression). The first dog we looked at was a spaniel puppy(10 months). He was fine until the volunteer walked away, then he hid behind my wife and growled at me, so an obvious no go. The second spaniel puppy was more friendly but still more skittish with us when the volunteer wasn't there. Then they brought in Gemma, who they had already warned us was nervous around guys. She entered the pen, came right up to me an sat in my lap for scritchies. The volunteer immediately pulled out her phone and started taking pictures because she had never seen her act like that with a man before, especially at first meeting. Needless to say we adopted her on the spot. Gemma had been abandoned at a boarding kennel in February 2020 and then ended up in the animal rescue shelter in January of this year so she's had rough last 15 months. She is such a sweet girl and we're so happy to have been able to give her a home.
Awww, sweet. I hope she exceeds your expectations in every way.

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #2524 on: May 10, 2021, 04:21:24 AM »
Spring. I just love spring!
Approx. 20 minutes of my  bike commute take me along beautiful forests on one side of the trail with nature awakening from its hibernation these days (and weeks), birds chirping etc.
Also the other day I was just lying on my back on a park bench for an hour and a half, watching and listening to the birds, enjoying the sunshine and the mild breeze moving the leaves of the tree above just a bit. Even put on some not-too-loud relax music.
It was perfect!

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #2525 on: May 10, 2021, 05:37:10 PM »
Awww, sweet. I hope she exceeds your expectations in every way.

She is absolutely great :) Very very very loving and smart as a whip. We have a section of the North Country Trail near us so have been taking her for a walk each day. You can see how much she enjoys it. She is a little leery of gunshots so we got a thunder shirt for her and she has slready learned not to bark when delivery drivers pull in.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2526 on: May 11, 2021, 08:26:49 AM »
Spring. I just love spring!
Approx. 20 minutes of my  bike commute take me along beautiful forests on one side of the trail with nature awakening from its hibernation these days (and weeks), birds chirping etc.
Also the other day I was just lying on my back on a park bench for an hour and a half, watching and listening to the birds, enjoying the sunshine and the mild breeze moving the leaves of the tree above just a bit. Even put on some not-too-loud relax music.
It was perfect!

Me too!  For me, it's running in May/June. Smells so good, so nice and cool.  I do a 6-7 mile loop every morning and about 5 miles of it is by the shore.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2527 on: May 11, 2021, 06:01:33 PM »
Giving the cats a saucer of milk first thing in the morning, watching then take turns, and then letting the dog in to clean up the ends of the saucer.

Finding a double yolk egg this morning for our poached egg breakfast.

Making patterns in the coffee with the foam.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2528 on: May 13, 2021, 07:14:14 PM »
Giving the cats a saucer of milk first thing in the morning, watching then take turns, and then letting the dog in to clean up the ends of the saucer.

After getting one double yolk egg from a new pack of 12 eggs on Wednesday morning, we got two double yolkers on Thursday morning and two again this morning.  The pack is a usual pack of 700g eggs from the supermarket, and all 5 eggs so far have been double yolkers. 

We would normally get one or two a year.  I don't know what has happened to the chickens at the moment, but they are making us happy in the mornings.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2529 on: May 14, 2021, 04:24:11 AM »
Many expats are leaving China (it's nearing the end of the school year, so many expat families choose to leave in the summer to avoid disrupting their children's education), and they're posting lots of good stuff for sale. My cheap thing that makes me happy is that I have been browsing the listings and have realized there is nothing I want to buy. We have everything we need.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2530 on: May 18, 2021, 10:05:34 AM »
During today's warm, sunny walk: a classful of kids at recess on the local elementary school playground—besides the masks, it looked like a normal school day—and a serenade by a bright red male cardinal (bird, not prelate) in the park.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2531 on: May 19, 2021, 04:31:18 AM »

After getting one double yolk egg from a new pack of 12 eggs on Wednesday morning, we got two double yolkers on Thursday morning and two again this morning.  The pack is a usual pack of 700g eggs from the supermarket, and all 5 eggs so far have been double yolkers. 

We would normally get one or two a year.  I don't know what has happened to the chickens at the moment, but they are making us happy in the mornings.

Our whole dozen were double yolkers.  The next dozen have 2 normal eggs from 2.  So back to normal programming.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2532 on: May 19, 2021, 07:38:09 PM »
Picking radishes I grew from seed, and eating them raw. I'm new (and, really not yet great) at gardening, so it's a really fun thrill. I love seeing the plants every day.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2533 on: May 20, 2021, 09:53:53 AM »
Air that smells like lilacs, even downtown.
Interesting migratory birdsong (even downtown!).
All our transplants "took".
Chicken thighs on sale!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2534 on: May 23, 2021, 10:17:36 AM »
Sitting near the front window drinking a second coffee and watching birds on the feeders.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2535 on: May 23, 2021, 12:39:58 PM »
Sharing the kombucha love! I have two healthy gallon glass jars of kombucha going at all times. The original scoby, brew jars, and the growlers I bottle it in all game from my neighborhood Buy Nothing group.The original scoby was just a sliver, but over the last year I've grown it to two big mothers, which I have divided and shared once before. My scoby's are giant again, so today I'm sharing a few with some more neighbors via Buy Nothing!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2536 on: May 24, 2021, 05:09:13 AM »
Empty cigar boxes make me happy -- they're so sturdy and colorful and useful.  I get them at a tobacco shop for $1 and use them for many things. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2537 on: May 25, 2021, 07:29:27 AM »
Empty cigar boxes make me happy -- they're so sturdy and colorful and useful.  I get them at a tobacco shop for $1 and use them for many things.

That's a great idea.  But do they pick up the tobacco smell?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2538 on: May 25, 2021, 08:03:03 AM »

They're best used as slide guitars:

:P

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2539 on: May 25, 2021, 09:14:53 AM »
@RetiredAt63 —no, they don’t have a smell. I guess because the cigars are wrapped?

@GuitarStv — that’s too funny, because they really do sell them to people who make those little guitars out of them.  The guy at the shop says the really nice, all-wood boxes are usually bought by the guitar makers.  :). They sell for more — in the $5 — $10 range. 

Malee55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2540 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50:17 AM »
Going for walks through some of the parks in my suburb. When we went into lockdown last year pool closed so we could not swim. So my swimming group found so many lovely parks to walk through. Now I regularly walk in them.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2541 on: June 01, 2021, 05:51:51 AM »
we drove up to the sepulga river in alabama and dug for sharks teeth in the river bottom. it was a great way to spend a hot summer afternoon.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2542 on: June 02, 2021, 06:08:11 AM »
Helping a friend.

Since I'm not working, I have time to help.  And I currently have two friends who needs help with stuff and to be able to just take some time of my day to give a ride to the guy who can hardly walk or to to shop some stuff for the friend who's stuck in a hospital bed feels nice. 

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #2543 on: June 02, 2021, 06:56:01 AM »
Hearing the cicadas singing. I'm on the east coast and while they're a little gross, I am still delighted by them.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #2544 on: June 03, 2021, 12:00:21 PM »
Hearing the cicadas singing. I'm on the east coast and while they're a little gross, I am still delighted by them.

It sounds like an alien invasion from a 1950's science fiction movie. I do like it (for a while, not permanently).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2545 on: June 03, 2021, 01:20:16 PM »

It sounds like an alien invasion from a 1950's science fiction movie. I do like it (for a while, not permanently).

Oh . . . maybe THAT'S why the UFOs are here!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2546 on: June 07, 2021, 11:54:28 AM »
Screech Owls talking to each other somewhere near our balcony last night (even though we live in the city!).

Finding new walking trails we can sorta get to on transit.

GodlessCommie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2547 on: June 07, 2021, 01:48:42 PM »
Screech Owls talking to each other somewhere near our balcony last night (even though we live in the city!).
We also hear more of the owls - or maybe paying more attention. Even caught a couple courting in the backyard once.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2548 on: June 08, 2021, 10:19:49 AM »
We also hear more of the owls - or maybe paying more attention. Even caught a couple courting in the backyard once.

I hope the courting couple were owls. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2549 on: June 09, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »

I hope the courting couple were owls.

Seems it would still be an interesting event to observe either way.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!