Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939094 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2450 on: March 02, 2021, 07:48:09 AM »
Thanks. I have a couple antique cars and we're putting our old car back on the road when our teen takes over our second oldest car. 20 year old seatbelts are a little worrying.

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2451 on: March 02, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »
That moment of peace in the home gym with my wife after the 4 and 2 year olds have been fed, bathed, brushed, read to and put down for the night.

markpst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2452 on: March 07, 2021, 05:38:08 AM »
A deck of cards.

I have discovered (old game that has been around forever) Yukon Solitaire. This is my favorite Solitaire game I've played so far, it involves a lot of movement and thought. You can obviously find a video on youtube showing the mechanics of how to play or just play online from multiple sites.

We had a family get together and I taught everyone to play.

My tips:
Worry more about organizing the columns (K down to A, opposite color) than building the foundations.
Just because a move is available, doesn't mean it is the best move.
Uncovering cards is the key, and what keeps you from winning. Focus especially on the larger piles to the right.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2453 on: March 07, 2021, 05:56:16 AM »
Continuing on the cards theme -- Cribbage makes me very happy.  I've been playing it with my kids since they were in grade school (it's great for teaching math) and we still play it several times week.  It's usually a two player game, but with just a few minor rule tweaks and a three-player board, it's an awesome game for three.  Three-handed cribbage has been our go-to family activity for the pandemic lockdown.  Some days when everyone is busy doing their own (usually online) thing, it's the only time when we sit down together.   

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2454 on: March 07, 2021, 06:24:54 AM »
Continuing on the cards theme -- Cribbage makes me very happy.  I've been playing it with my kids since they were in grade school (it's great for teaching math) and we still play it several times week.  It's usually a two player game, but with just a few minor rule tweaks and a three-player board, it's an awesome game for three.  Three-handed cribbage has been our go-to family activity for the pandemic lockdown.  Some days when everyone is busy doing their own (usually online) thing, it's the only time when we sit down together.
I taught DH Cribbage when our power company was triggering days-long power outages, the summer before last. We sit down to play together almost every night after dinner (despite the fact that our power never went out, lol). DH has become an insanely good player and regularly trounces me, as detailed in my journal the other day. (Sorry if you've heard this before.). Last night, i skunked him again, followed by another win. He won the final game by just a few points. After a week long string of losses recently, I admit, it felt great to skunk him twice in close succession.

My Dad took up Cribbage after I was up and out of the house. He played with friends and my youngest sister. It makes me feel connected with them every time DH and I sit down to play.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2455 on: March 07, 2021, 06:52:33 AM »
I taught DH Cribbage when our power company was triggering days-long power outages, the summer before last. We sit down to play together almost every night after dinner (despite the fact that our power never went out, lol). DH has become an insanely good player and regularly trounces me, as detailed in my journal the other day. (Sorry if you've heard this before.). Last night, i skunked him again, followed by another win. He won the final game by just a few points. After a week long string of losses recently, I admit, it felt great to skunk him twice in close succession.

My Dad took up Cribbage after I was up and out of the house. He played with friends and my youngest sister. It makes me feel connected with them every time DH and I sit down to play.

:)
It really is a great game. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2456 on: March 21, 2021, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks to Spotify, I just learned that the band Faith No More recorded a decent cover of the Commodores’ “Easy” (a much beloved song from my childhood).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2457 on: March 21, 2021, 07:22:31 PM »
I miss cribbage.  Before we moved I had a few people in my life who knew how to play.  Since we moved, I ask every one I meet and still haven't found anyone who knows how.
You can play online and keep your skills sharp until you find some players IRL.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2458 on: March 22, 2021, 07:48:56 AM »
Thanks to Spotify, I just learned that the band Faith No More recorded a decent cover of the Commodores’ “Easy” (a much beloved song from my childhood).
i love a good cover version.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2459 on: March 22, 2021, 09:10:54 AM »

Fun fact!  The guitarist from Faith No More quit the band at the height of their success as a touring musician playing to tens of thousands of fans each night because he wanted to chase his true dream - of being a pumpkin farmer.  :P

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2460 on: March 22, 2021, 10:00:45 AM »

Fun fact!  The guitarist from Faith No More quit the band at the height of their success as a touring musician playing to tens of thousands of fans each night because he wanted to chase his true dream - of being a pumpkin farmer.  :P

is he into smashing pumpkins now?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2461 on: March 22, 2021, 10:51:20 AM »

I'm on my phone and usually zoom in enough that I don't see names or avatars of people responding. So you can imagine my shock when I realized that this reply *wasn't* from dadjokes.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2462 on: March 22, 2021, 11:44:17 AM »

Ha! Well played.

Also, didn't Bill Berry (drummer) of REM also quit to be a farmer? I guess even crazy famous rock stars dream of FIRE.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2463 on: March 22, 2021, 12:13:19 PM »

Ha! Well played.

Also, didn't Bill Berry (drummer) of REM also quit to be a farmer? I guess even crazy famous rock stars dream of FIRE.

i think he had an aneurism? brain tumor? i think he quit when they were already past their prime.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2464 on: March 22, 2021, 03:57:27 PM »
Remaining resolutely off-topic, even fairly famous musicians make less money than people think. In fact, some record industry contracts have clauses forbidding musicians from discussing their earnings, because the amounts are so little!

And I remember that when a fairly well-known Canadian band (Blue Rodeo) decided to go full-time, one of them quit because he didn't want to give up his job at the post office.

Back on topic, seeing my first vulture of the year made me happy, because it's the bird that confirms that summer will probably actually show up this year.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2465 on: March 22, 2021, 04:37:57 PM »
Poppies in the spring!  When I lived in Southern California, I was completely unfamiliar with my state flower.  Now that I live in the northern half, springtime hikes bring lots of green hills covered in cheerful orange.  They are a deceptively simple flower, but just so dang uplifting, especially in large groups.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2466 on: March 23, 2021, 02:55:32 AM »
Remaining resolutely off-topic, even fairly famous musicians make less money than people think. In fact, some record industry contracts have clauses forbidding musicians from discussing their earnings, because the amounts are so little!

The author Robert Greene has in several interviews mentioned his time working in Hollywood and drew the conclusion that many people there are in it mainly for the fame and others have found ways to stay under the radar but keep the big bucks. Probably similar in the music industry.

Speaking of cheap things that make you happy - listening to interviews with great minds like that of Robert Greene does it for me.

As does the good weather hitting my part of the world today - I'm finally able to have lunch outside and thus with a friend I've hardly seen for a year even though we live quite close. Good weather for me in March means sunshine and 12-13 degrees Celsius, which I think is north of 50 degrees in Freedom Units.    :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2467 on: March 23, 2021, 02:57:26 PM »

rofl

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2468 on: March 23, 2021, 10:00:41 PM »
All ebook and emagazine offerings from the library are a cheap thing that makes me happy—I think I’ve got all my systems sorted after a year of pandemic lockdown. It’s so fabulous to be able to read Mother Earth News, for example, without having to recycle or return a physical object later on. I’ve been reading so many books about permaculture topics, fungi, soil ecosystems, food systems, cooking and so forth.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2469 on: March 24, 2021, 02:42:50 AM »
Poppies in the spring!  When I lived in Southern California, I was completely unfamiliar with my state flower.  Now that I live in the northern half, springtime hikes bring lots of green hills covered in cheerful orange.  They are a deceptively simple flower, but just so dang uplifting, especially in large groups.
Me, too! I also love that they help me tell time. If they're not open, I know it's too damn early to be out hiking. If they begin to close, I know I don't have much daylight left and I need to get a move on.

Treedream

• Stubble
« Reply #2470 on: March 24, 2021, 05:00:34 AM »
I just bought 3 journals for 2 euro each. I can finally keep track of my Dungeon and Dragon campaigns separately. Instead of having 4 storylines mixed up. And they came in fun colours too!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2471 on: April 01, 2021, 02:38:08 PM »
The Detroit Tigers won their home opener, and it was absolutely free to listen to the game on my little AM/FM radio.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2472 on: April 01, 2021, 04:52:17 PM »
Made a delicious cold soba noodle salad for dinner on a hot day, from ingredients I had on hand. The dressing was killer.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2473 on: April 02, 2021, 03:46:42 AM »
Made a delicious cold soba noodle salad for dinner on a hot day, from ingredients I had on hand. The dressing was killer.

Please share!  :)

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2474 on: April 08, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »
@Trifele happy to oblige! Dressing was
1/2 fresh lime, juiced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1.5 tbps soy sauce
1 tbps rice wine vinegar
1.5 tbsp maple syrup
2 teaspoons sriracha
Just boiled soba noodles, cooled , then chopped up avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper and spring onion (I think?) and tossed together. 

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2475 on: April 08, 2021, 07:34:42 PM »
Composting!  Try a layered pile of leaves, grass clippings, house veggie wastes and then put a lawn chair nearby... After about 2 weeks, turn the pile.   Then a week or so later, put a thermometer in to ensure it's around 110 to 125 degrees so it's warm, but doesn't kill off the good critters breaking things down.   Then enjoy the show watching bugs and worms and fungi all playing in the pile the next couple of months.   Then spread on anything you want to grow VIGOROUSLY!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2476 on: April 09, 2021, 03:56:55 AM »
1/2 fresh lime, juiced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1.5 tbps soy sauce
1 tbps rice wine vinegar
1.5 tbsp maple syrup
2 teaspoons sriracha
Just boiled soba noodles, cooled , then chopped up avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper and spring onion (I think?) and tossed together.

Thank you @lazycow!  That sounds fabulous.  it's going to be dinner tonight.   

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2477 on: April 12, 2021, 07:40:35 AM »
@lazycow -- you were right, sauce is killer!  Dinner was great and I just made another batch for breakfast.  Mmm. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2478 on: April 15, 2021, 10:18:16 AM »

hounton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2479 on: April 15, 2021, 08:01:11 PM »
Taking leftovers to work for lunch and having my coworkers comment how good my lunch looks while they eat lunches that they paid 5-8 dollars for.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2480 on: April 15, 2021, 09:26:07 PM »
This BBC headline: Mystery tree beast turns out to be croissant

Thank you! That was hilarious and brightened my day.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2481 on: April 16, 2021, 04:34:22 AM »
A classic that never gets old -- watching the sun rise.  :)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2482 on: April 16, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »
Got a booklet of US Post Office stamps titled "Fruits & Vegetables."  Wow, the paintings are lush, almost like a medieval style.  Colors and lighting are fantastic. 

Yes, I still use stamps to send cards and the occasional letter, but I almost just want to keep these on my desk as artwork. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2483 on: April 16, 2021, 08:39:49 AM »
A classic that never gets old -- watching the sun rise.  :)
Amen to that!  I was a few minutes early this morning to catch the sunrise, but I saw it hitting the peaks of the roofs as I got home.  To add to the sunrise, the pond by our house was mirror-smooth this morning as the pre-dawn light bloomed over the horizon.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2484 on: April 16, 2021, 08:45:51 AM »
Embroidery.  The supplies are really cheap and it takes up a good bit of time.  I love seeing the picture emerge and doing the stitches is relaxing. 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2485 on: April 16, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »
Replaced a scraggly and fracturing old fence rail with  a brand new one I painted with linseed oil protectant. Fence looks a lot better now! Wasn't cheap imho, but I saved a fortune doing it myself, therefore it makes me happy.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2486 on: April 16, 2021, 09:30:05 AM »
the salad or the recipe??? ;)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2487 on: April 17, 2021, 03:44:43 AM »
My mint plant is growing very well, and today, I put a sprig of mint in my pink lemonade. Perfection!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2488 on: April 17, 2021, 03:58:06 AM »
Embroidery.  The supplies are really cheap and it takes up a good bit of time.  I love seeing the picture emerge and doing the stitches is relaxing.
It's one of my favourite forms of meditation!

stream26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2489 on: April 17, 2021, 10:17:00 AM »
Just bought some cute planner online. Today the sun is shining, it's Saturday, one of my closest friends is coming over for pizza and Disney movies, and my dogs were super cuddly this morning when we woke up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:07:58 PM by stream26 »

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2490 on: April 17, 2021, 11:24:26 AM »
My therapist says I need to practice more intentional gratitude so here goes:

Good coffee
Biking weather
Getting $100 worth of books for free from the library
Fresh herbs from the garden 

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2491 on: April 17, 2021, 12:33:25 PM »
Good coffee

Amen to that.  That first cup of strong black coffee at the break of dawn.. that's life.  :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2492 on: April 17, 2021, 01:27:31 PM »
My therapist says I need to practice more intentional gratitude so here goes:

Good coffee
Biking weather
Getting $100 worth of books for free from the library
Fresh herbs from the garden

I have an app that prompts me to write a half dozen things I'm grateful for. I thought I was hokey bullshit until I read some of the excellent research behind the habit. So now I dutifully, although grudgingly, do it every morning.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2493 on: April 17, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »
Biking weather

All weather is biking weather, so you must be happy all the time!

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2494 on: April 17, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
Biking weather

All weather is biking weather, so you must be happy all the time!

Touché. I do take the bus when the roads are icy, but most days are biking days recently.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2495 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:37 AM »
Cheap fleece blankets make me happy.  So soft. So cuddly.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2496 on: April 18, 2021, 10:16:43 AM »
1/2 fresh lime, juiced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1.5 tbps soy sauce
1 tbps rice wine vinegar
1.5 tbsp maple syrup
2 teaspoons sriracha

Thank you @lazycow!  That sounds fabulous.  it's going to be dinner tonight.
This sounds so good I think I'll make a double batch to start. It's a bonus that I have every single ingredient on hand.

scottnews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2497 on: April 28, 2021, 07:19:42 AM »
It was a beautiful bike ride this morning.   Fog was covering the hilltops, spring in the air, things are greening up,  a brisk 40 degrees.  Perfect!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2498 on: April 30, 2021, 02:03:49 PM »
My neti pot is making me cheaply happy now that the pollen counts are sky high.  :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 10:23:58 AM by Loretta »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2499 on: April 30, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
My net pot is making me cheaply happy now that the pollen counts are sky high.  :)

So gross, so satisfying.