Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938944 times)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2400 on: January 20, 2021, 11:11:20 AM »
Getting and giving away things through my local BuyNothing group - I have gotten gently used Bogs boots, a bunch of classic books, given away a crib, clothes, etc. It is so great to have a community of this sort - it is a win win - de-clutter my space and and the same time find someone who would truly enjoy having the items you don't need.

A positive thing about the internet for sure!  I've become so spoiled by my Buy Nothing group that when I don't have a response for something that I've posted within 20 minutes, I check to see what I did wrong with my post.  Truly, one person's trash is another person's treasure!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2401 on: January 20, 2021, 07:47:42 PM »
I second Yoga with Adriene. I try to do at least two of her videos a week.

Knitting myself a headband after losing my store bought one.

Working on a puzzle that was a Christmas gift.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2402 on: January 23, 2021, 05:30:08 PM »
Proofing whole wheat pizza dough for dinner tonight. I've never used 100% whole wheat flour for pizza dough. It's KA flour and a KA recipe, so I'm optimistic!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2403 on: January 23, 2021, 05:39:36 PM »
I worked on a 5D diamond painting with DD. It was so nice spending time with my daughter and doing something relaxing and creative. We already have the perfect spot for it in our apartment, once it's done.

cocopebbles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2404 on: January 23, 2021, 08:53:40 PM »
Oooh I'll play.

Not just library books, but libraries in general are magical places to me. Anywhere I've travelled I've always insisted on visiting at least one local library. Old book smell is lovely to me!

On the note of smells - candles and the smell of coffee

Hiking and nature. I love quiet walks in nature

My lovely dog being so excited to see me after the end of a long day

And last but not least, my family - my husband's corny jokes and my baby's gummy smiles :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2405 on: January 23, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »
I had an apple that was looking a bit shriveled in the fridge, so I used it to make a German apple cake. All I could think of as I was beating the butter and eggs into oblivion was, “No wonder there’s the stereotype that German women are strong if this is how they made their cakes without the benefit of a mixer!”

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #2406 on: January 24, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »

Not just library books, but libraries in general are magical places to me. Anywhere I've travelled I've always insisted on visiting at least one local library. Old book smell is lovely to me!

+1

Our local library is off rakish 60s design (I love it); the fairly newly built library in Birmingham (UK) is of contemporary design outside but has a Harry Potter -ish interior in places (albeit thoroughly modern). I wish more had a cafe. Bookshops with cafes are as good as libraries sometimes - but they’re not free :-(

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2407 on: January 24, 2021, 05:26:17 PM »
Found a one bowl banana bread recipe. It's a rainy day, so chocolate chip banana bread it is!

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #2408 on: January 24, 2021, 06:47:10 PM »
A warm loaf of banana nut bread is good.  But my favorite is hugs.  Warm, loving hugs.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2409 on: January 24, 2021, 07:17:40 PM »
Watching my son hang out with friends he hasn't seen in a year. Seeing him so happy makes me even happier.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2410 on: January 25, 2021, 07:20:39 AM »
I had an apple that was looking a bit shriveled in the fridge, so I used it to make a German apple cake. All I could think of as I was beating the butter and eggs into oblivion was, “No wonder there’s the stereotype that German women are strong if this is how they made their cakes without the benefit of a mixer!”

I like how 90% @Freedomin5 's posts are about food (or maybe those are just the ones that I notice). It makes me feel like we're neighbours instead of half a world away.

Making yummy food makes me happy! 😊 DH and DD aren’t always impressed by my culinary experiments though. Today, I finished off my pumpkin carrot soup because no one else wanted it. Last night, DD ate an entire bowl of the soup while giving me a thumbs down. When asked, she said it tasted bad but she ate it because she’s not allowed to complain about the food.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2411 on: January 25, 2021, 07:25:46 AM »
I gave DD a haircut and gave her bangs. She received several compliments from teachers today. I copied my old hairstylist’s moves to create a layered, piece-y look. It also helps that DD has a cute round face and large eyes, so it’s easy to just frame her face with a shoulder-length layered bob. Probably saved myself between $20-$40 (I have no idea how much a children’s haircut costs).

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2412 on: January 25, 2021, 07:47:54 AM »
Trying new recipes for the first time and having them turn out well.  This one was a make ahead breakfast egg "muffin" and the bacon ones were delicious!  Today I'm going to make caprese stuffed Portobello mushrooms for lunch.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #2413 on: January 26, 2021, 09:29:15 AM »
The herb seeds that I have planted have begun to sprout...now I have tiny bits of green to brighten my mood and kitchen counter.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2414 on: January 26, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
Chickpeas.

Chickpeas are wonderful.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #2415 on: January 26, 2021, 11:47:27 AM »
Writing another chapter of my fanfiction, then going back to look it over and thinking to myself "Damn! This is good!"

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2416 on: January 26, 2021, 01:21:08 PM »
The sound wind makes through pine tree needles.

Watching my dog and her "cousins" play every week: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WnLWYV8YK2s3riAQ9

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2417 on: January 27, 2021, 01:07:48 AM »
My cosmos seeds are now strong little seedlings. Looking forward to a riot of summer colour in a few weeks. Plus my dahlias are huge and prolific. I love my garden.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2418 on: January 28, 2021, 08:41:40 AM »
The sound wind makes through pine tree needles.

Watching my dog and her "cousins" play every week: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WnLWYV8YK2s3riAQ9

What is that white stuff on the ground? I've never seen 3-4 inches of frost.... ;)

(We live south of the Mason Dixson line. We don't get much snow but we had a white Christmas this year! Wahoo!)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2419 on: January 29, 2021, 05:28:11 AM »
I cut my hair. It’s now a more manageable length, and I’m quite satisfied with how it turned out.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2420 on: January 29, 2021, 06:18:15 AM »
Long walks outside in extremely bright and sunny but absolutely freezing days. Getting ready for one now (-30C/-22F).

It's not the coldest today, but it's cold enough that there's something about the air and the way sound travels that's different.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2421 on: January 29, 2021, 06:48:14 AM »
Long walks outside in extremely bright and sunny but absolutely freezing days. Getting ready for one now (-30C/-22F).

It's not the coldest today, but it's cold enough that there's something about the air and the way sound travels that's different.

Glad to find someone else who enjoys this!

Whenever it got below -25ºC I'd walk over to the St Lawrence (frozen) and look at the city  of Levis across from Québec - instead of the normal "twinkling" the lights would just be completely clear and almost... closer... looking.  There's so little distortion in the air at those temperatures, and almost zero water.

Plus... it keeps most people inside!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2422 on: January 29, 2021, 06:53:19 AM »

Whenever it got below -25ºC I'd walk over to the St Lawrence (frozen) and look at the city  of Levis across from Québec - instead of the normal "twinkling" the lights would just be completely clear and almost... closer... looking.  There's so little distortion in the air at those temperatures, and almost zero water.

So true. It feels almost post apocalyptic when it's cold enough. Today isn't quite that cold, but when it's -40C/-40F or colder, that's when it feels like I've got the city to myself.

I expect others to be out on the river path today though. It's not ultra cold yet.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2423 on: January 29, 2021, 07:18:29 AM »

So true. It feels almost post apocalyptic when it's cold enough. Today isn't quite that cold, but when it's -40C/-40F or colder, that's when it feels like I've got the city to myself.

I expect others to be out on the river path today though. It's not ultra cold yet.

It's -17C here this morning and the sun is sparkling off the snow.  So pretty.  May take a walk later if it doesn't cloud over.  This is much nicer than -5 and full overcast.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2424 on: January 29, 2021, 07:22:19 AM »

I love this, too. I take an hour-long walk every day. There’s almost no one out these days, which makes it even better.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2425 on: January 29, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »

I love this, too. I take an hour-long walk every day. There’s almost no one out these days, which makes it even better.

There were a few people out on the path today. I live by a very long river path, which is heavily used year round. There were about a half dozen cyclists and two cross country skiers out this morning.

That's another cheap thing I love, not sure if I've posted it already, but I live right by a river with a paved walking/biking path on both sides that I can walk or bike for hours and hours on end. It's the best thing about my city.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2426 on: January 29, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »

There were a few people out on the path today. I live by a very long river path, which is heavily used year round. There were about a half dozen cyclists and two cross country skiers out this morning.

That's another cheap thing I love, not sure if I've posted it already, but I live right by a river with a paved walking/biking path on both sides that I can walk or bike for hours and hours on end. It's the best thing about my city.

Not sure if it can be considered "cheap", but we are contemplating spending ~$50k more to live a few hundred meters from a paved walking/biking path that would connect us to the town's main street, the commuter rail and easy, safe commuting to both work and our daughter's school.  Being close to this path is the #1 thing we like about the location (and we could "save" a lot of $ by moving a couple miles away).

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2427 on: January 29, 2021, 10:27:06 AM »

Not sure if it can be considered "cheap", but we are contemplating spending ~$50k more to live a few hundred meters from a paved walking/biking path that would connect us to the town's main street, the commuter rail and easy, safe commuting to both work and our daughter's school.  Being close to this path is the #1 thing we like about the location (and we could "save" a lot of $ by moving a couple miles away).

I LOVE living right by this path. I used to be a few miles away, and I didn't use the path as much because it was a bit of a haul just to get here. Now it's a couple of hundreds of yards from my door, and we use it constantly. It was DH's path to work before Covid as well, which was perfect. Housing near this path is starting to explode here, I'm so glad we bought when we did.

AccrualWorld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2428 on: January 29, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »
A nice set of bed sheets, comforter, and pillow make a world of difference.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2429 on: January 30, 2021, 01:30:32 AM »
It’s sunny and not freezing cold today. I went for a forty minute bike ride in the sunshine. The smell of baked goods also makes me happy — brownies, granola bars, and buttery cake.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2430 on: February 19, 2021, 06:47:03 AM »
Scotland gives its plows funny names and and tracks them in real time: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab

Nutty

• Stubble
  • Late but haven't missed the train.
« Reply #2431 on: February 19, 2021, 07:22:02 AM »
A nice hot loaf of home made bread right out of the oven.  The smell was amazing.  I smeared a slice with butter and the crust was still crispy.

Being able to appreciate the small things.  I mean, really recognize and being able to enjoy the small things that are right in front of us.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 11:13:17 AM by Nutty »

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2432 on: February 19, 2021, 10:03:07 AM »
Scotland gives its plows funny names and and tracks them in real time: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=2de764a9303848ffb9a4cac0bd0b1aab
This is amazing. I'd be honored to spot Buzz Iceclear or Lord Coldemort in person.

Yesterday there was a dove sitting outside my window. I love seeing wildlife.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2433 on: February 19, 2021, 11:42:11 AM »
It’s sunny and not freezing cold today. I went for a forty minute bike ride in the sunshine. The smell of baked goods also makes me happy — brownies, granola bars, and buttery cake.

my bike commute home from the gym passed a steakhouse, a brewery and a coffee roaster. it was lovely.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2434 on: February 20, 2021, 02:40:24 AM »
Our new puppy taking a nap on top of my feet.  She's lovely. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2435 on: February 20, 2021, 03:04:00 AM »
Biked to a flower market this afternoon and bought a few plants for our balcony.

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2436 on: February 20, 2021, 07:54:13 PM »
After averaging 120-130 miles cycling a week in 2018 and 2019, I moved to a new town in 2020. I had my routine thrown out and slacked off on my riding, to the detriment of my mental and physical health. I think I ended 2020 with less than 1000miles for the year.

Today I just finished two weeks in a row of 6 mornings per week cycling 11 miles on a quiet gravel and bitumen road loop from my house. This morning I attacked some of the undulating hills and finally started to feel fit and powerful on the bike, beat my best time by 3 minutes. I forgot how important that regular, intense effort in the beautiful still morning hours was to me, and how it sets up a great base line for the rest of the day. I feel so good after this 2 weeks that I'm going to continue and target a modest 60mi/week for the rest of the year.

We'll see how far into the southen hemisphere winter I can keep to the goal (it falls below freezing regularly in the winter mornings here).

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2437 on: February 20, 2021, 11:43:21 PM »
It’s finally warm enough to have lunch on the balcony!

Jinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2438 on: February 21, 2021, 07:17:48 AM »
A hot cup of tea!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2439 on: February 21, 2021, 07:39:24 AM »
Lol, Sled Zepplin and Spready Mercury! Thanks for this fun link, OJ!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2440 on: February 21, 2021, 11:13:58 AM »

I’m a big fan of the simply-named “Mr Plow”
(See The Simpsons S4, E9)

CrabbitDutchie

• Stubble
« Reply #2441 on: February 21, 2021, 11:32:01 AM »

Seeing the joy these names being is a cheap thing that makes me happy.

I'm surprised they haven't caused more accidents. I can't help turning my head to check the name every time I see one in real life!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2442 on: February 21, 2021, 08:00:05 PM »

These are my three favorites.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • youtube.com/mrmoneybeard
« Reply #2443 on: February 27, 2021, 09:28:52 AM »
Sex
Hammock
Hiking
Campfire
Stargazing
Sex
Board Games
Video Games
Talking with Friends
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:46:36 AM by mr.moneybeard »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2444 on: February 27, 2021, 08:15:48 PM »
Spent some time down at the salvage yard this morning, picking up a few parts for our old cars.  I pulled a couple of seatbelts to send off for new webbing--the ones in my car are very reluctant to retract.

Car parts out of a salvage yard are stupid cheap.  The one I go to has their vehicle inventory posted online, with the location of each vehicle in the lot, so it's super easy to find what you're looking for.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2445 on: February 28, 2021, 12:36:23 PM »
Sex
Hammock
Hiking
Campfire
Stargazing
Sex
Board Games
Video Games
Talking with Friends

Sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday

Dreamer40

• Bristles
« Reply #2446 on: February 28, 2021, 04:39:17 PM »
8-foot galvanized steel cattle panels on sale for $13 each to use as a garden trellis. I think they look cool and modern propped against a fence. They’ll look even cooler covered in vines in a few months.

mr.moneybeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • youtube.com/mrmoneybeard
« Reply #2447 on: February 28, 2021, 04:39:56 PM »
Sex
Hammock
Hiking
Campfire
Stargazing
Sex
Board Games
Video Games
Talking with Friends

Sounds like a good way to spend a Sunday

Thanks it was!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2448 on: March 01, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
Spent some time down at the salvage yard this morning, picking up a few parts for our old cars.  I pulled a couple of seatbelts to send off for new webbing--the ones in my car are very reluctant to retract.

Car parts out of a salvage yard are stupid cheap.  The one I go to has their vehicle inventory posted online, with the location of each vehicle in the lot, so it's super easy to find what you're looking for.

Who re-webs seatbelts? Thanks!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2449 on: March 02, 2021, 05:19:16 AM »

Who re-webs seatbelts? Thanks!
This is the company that I used this time: My Safety Belts.  It's $75 per belt.  Safety Restore charges $100/belt.