Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938951 times)

Reader

• Bristles
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2350 on: August 30, 2020, 05:22:09 AM »
i snipped some basil, and made delicious fried rice for dinner with eggs, basil and a bit of soy sauce.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2351 on: August 30, 2020, 05:43:04 AM »
Divided a huge rhubarb crown and passed bits on to friends. It costs me nothing but makes others happy!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2352 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
Did that once upon a time but my method broke. What's your's?

We  use a website called ukproxy.tv   - they do everything for ya! :) It's great

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2353 on: September 08, 2020, 03:15:56 AM »
I am grateful for each day that I can send DD to school because there have been no virus cases in the city.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2354 on: September 08, 2020, 11:43:33 AM »
a good audio book on a long road trip.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2355 on: September 08, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »
Watching our broody hen out and about with her new chicks.  Watching our young rooster see his first batch of chicks, and make sweet noises to them.  Adorable. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2356 on: September 10, 2020, 08:38:14 PM »
Perusing a stack of library books on gardening, and planning a new summer garden space. The planning part is the most fun, before the actual physical effort and spending $ on plants!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2357 on: November 15, 2020, 08:12:11 AM »
- YouTube jazz or chillhop mixes, as background music for work

- Free hand-me-down bags from family. Haven't had to buy my own bags for years now.

- The free coffee at the office

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2358 on: November 15, 2020, 08:13:13 AM »
Throwing some old boxes into the yard and letting the dogs go wild shredding them

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #2359 on: November 18, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
Walking to the national park that's a mile from my house and going on a hike through crisp autumn air.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2360 on: November 18, 2020, 06:43:44 PM »
I have been admiring/lusting after the massive snake plant  on display at my fishmonger's for years. It is almost bursting out of its planter so I cheekily asked if I could take a cutting to help tidy it up. I am there almost every week and have a good relationship with the women who work there so they were more than happy for me to help myself. And bonus, the piece I took had roots attached so will establish much quicker than a cutting. Got to love a free indoor plant!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2361 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:40 AM »
The sun shining today after the wet snow storm at night and in early morning.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2362 on: November 19, 2020, 04:47:28 PM »
Jacaranda flowers against a blue sky. They are impossibly purple

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2363 on: November 21, 2020, 11:58:25 AM »
Did that once upon a time but my method broke. What's your's?

We  use a website called ukproxy.tv   - they do everything for ya! :) It's great

Thank you!

Cheap things that make us happy: up early on Saturday, coffee and a bit of mild TV before our offspring are awake.
DW loves the Great British Baking Show. I'm hooked right now on https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=absolutely+history

Watching our kittens wrestle and chase each other all over the house. Double kitten naps are entertaining to watch too.
Oh! I painted the mailbox. Geeez We sound so damn boring! ;)

It is our introverted antidote to a busy, extroverted week!

Time for chores now.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2364 on: November 21, 2020, 12:14:00 PM »
Finally tweaking my bike/birding trips so that I have the sun and wind at my back. And some unseasonably warm weather to go with it!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2365 on: November 21, 2020, 11:07:20 PM »
The smell of apples and cinnamon baking in the oven.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2366 on: November 22, 2020, 05:23:09 AM »

Ooh, I love jacarandas. They don't grow here. I was mesmerized by them when I visited San Diego in late spring.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2367 on: November 22, 2020, 05:25:58 AM »
I'm very happy that the kitten we adopted 4 weeks ago has fit into the household so seamlessly. Our other cat takes his self-appointed role as foster dad very seriously, and our rabbit is only annoyed if the kitten startles her.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2368 on: November 22, 2020, 08:28:50 AM »

Ooh, I love jacarandas. They don't grow here. I was mesmerized by them when I visited San Diego in late spring.

I really miss jacarandas. So startlingly beautiful that even someone like me, oblivious to almost all plants, flowers, trees, couldn't help but notice them.

And congrats on your animal family. Sounds so sweet!

Jtrey17

• Stubble
« Reply #2369 on: November 23, 2020, 11:44:16 AM »
I have been admiring/lusting after the massive snake plant  on display at my fishmonger's for years. It is almost bursting out of its planter so I cheekily asked if I could take a cutting to help tidy it up. I am there almost every week and have a good relationship with the women who work there so they were more than happy for me to help myself. And bonus, the piece I took had roots attached so will establish much quicker than a cutting. Got to love a free indoor plant!
I wish we lived closer-I’d suggest exchanging cuttings.

nobody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2370 on: November 26, 2020, 07:28:36 PM »
This morning, I sipped hot coffee, and ate toasted homemade bread, slathered in butter, sprinkled with flaky sea salt.  I was in the moment, and felt content, more than I have been in months.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2371 on: November 27, 2020, 02:08:17 AM »
I wish we lived closer-I’d suggest exchanging cuttings.
Oh that is so sweet! I am constantly offering friends plant cuttings.

Today's happiness experience was going for a beach walk after dinner. It has been a hot day and the sea breeze was delightful.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2372 on: December 02, 2020, 04:53:53 AM »
Today I found out a coworker is being severely abused by their spouse.

I’m grateful for a loving spouse and a family ethos where we strive to treat each other with respect and kindness. Cheap and priceless!

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #2373 on: December 02, 2020, 01:14:14 PM »
I went on a hike and discovered the woods behind our neighborhood have a bunch of Holly trees. I'm going to take a few cuttings and put them in a wreath. I took some small moss samples
too and started some terrariums in old candle containers that I saved over the years. It's a project I've been meaning to do for a while and it feels good to finally have my little window sill moss garden set up.

I also bought myself a dried flower bouquet. I'm usually anti cut flowers but these seem like a really nice alternative that will last months if not years. PM me if you want a link to the flowers I found. They're only $37 for a big bouquet that's very colorful.

I'm feeling a bit of winter blues especially with social distancing so I'm hoping all these plants will add some cheerfulness to my house.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2374 on: December 03, 2020, 06:30:17 AM »
The angle of the sun this time of year. We have big south-facing windows across the front of our house, so we get lots of bright sunshine on days like today.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2375 on: December 03, 2020, 06:50:59 AM »
I went on a hike and discovered the woods behind our neighborhood have a bunch of Holly trees. I'm going to take a few cuttings and put them in a wreath. I took some small moss samples
too and started some terrariums in old candle containers that I saved over the years. It's a project I've been meaning to do for a while and it feels good to finally have my little window sill moss garden set up.

I also bought myself a dried flower bouquet. I'm usually anti cut flowers but these seem like a really nice alternative that will last months if not years. PM me if you want a link to the flowers I found. They're only $37 for a big bouquet that's very colorful.

I'm feeling a bit of winter blues especially with social distancing so I'm hoping all these plants will add some cheerfulness to my house.

Also take a look at fake flowers. They are looking better nowadays than they used to look like in the past. We have some nice ones from Ikea. Dried flowers can maybe last for a very long time as well.

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #2376 on: December 03, 2020, 12:14:01 PM »
Also take a look at fake flowers. They are looking better nowadays than they used to look like in the past. We have some nice ones from Ikea. Dried flowers can maybe last for a very long time as well.

Thanks, I think fake flowers are a great idea for the kitchen since it's sunnier and more humid. I hadn't really considered that before. I haven't received the dried flowers yet but according to the reviews they still smell nice even though they're dried. I'm thinking I'll add a few lavender sprigs if they start to lose their fresh scent. I also like the idea of being able to just compost it if I change my mind and don't want the bouquet anymore.

Edited to add: The flowers arrived! They are lovely and smell like cinnamon. Definitely a cheap thing that makes me happy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 02:10:50 PM by E.T. »

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2377 on: December 20, 2020, 11:00:59 PM »
Celebrating the Summer Solstice by going for a beach swim in the rain with friends.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2378 on: December 23, 2020, 07:25:24 AM »
A beautiful sunset.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2379 on: December 28, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
During our holiday break, Ofpym and I have been going for long walks with our dog, getting a coffee from a different small cafe in the neighbourhood each day. It's an enjoyable preview of our future and if our biggest holiday expenses is $40 in delicious coffees, I think it's money well spent.

Yes, we have an espresso machine at home and normally that is what we drink but we deliberately loosen up the purse strings a little on holiday.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2380 on: December 28, 2020, 11:21:54 PM »
Listening to the rain drum upon the roof and porch, while cozy in a blanket sipping a glass of two buck chuck. :)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2381 on: December 30, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »
I have a window in the back of my house that doesn't need curtains.  I installed a curtain rod across the middle and hung up some prisms, small windchimes, and a few other tiny charm-like fun items from the rod. 
Now when the sun shines the prisms creates some rainbows on the walls.  Just a fun little piece that makes me happy when I look at it.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2382 on: December 30, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »
Line drying my sheets so I can have that sun-fresh smell when I go to bed tonight. Hell, I might even wash my hair and put on clean pjs too. The holy trinity for a good night's sleep.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2383 on: January 03, 2021, 12:07:27 PM »
Yesterday we arrived home after a week vacation. In that week it has been snowing at home. To our surprice, our driveway was cleared of snow by a tractor. No idea who ordered that. Maybe it included in the rental an included in the rent? Luxury.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2384 on: January 03, 2021, 01:44:21 PM »
Excellent craft beer on sale at half price, only due to being near 'best by' date, or slightly past. There's so much hops and alcohol though, it never goes bad (in my humble opinion!).   

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #2385 on: January 04, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »
I love the containers for the hummus we buy. You know how incredibly irritating it can be to have a collection of plastic tubs in your cupboard, and you can never find a lid that fits the container you've just filled with something?

Well, there are two brands of hummus we buy and they have distinctive lids. The larger one is perfect to hold a single serving of leftover pasta/sauce, chili, stir-fry, etc. The smaller one is perfect for holding random bits of food (e.g. half a container of coconut milk). I can always find a container and I can always find a lid that fits. Life is so much easier. The lids fit well and stay closed, so we can freeze food in them and provide leftovers to other people, too, without worrying about spills.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2386 on: January 16, 2021, 03:09:31 PM »
The crossword puzzles in the weekend newspaper. I can’t remember the last time I did a crossword, but I just entertained myself thusly for the last 90 minutes. It’s so satisfying to fill in the boxes and then have another answer or two become apparent.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2387 on: January 16, 2021, 05:43:21 PM »
Stocking the little library near my house. It's fun to pass books along to other readers.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2388 on: January 16, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »
The crossword puzzles in the weekend newspaper. I can’t remember the last time I did a crossword, but I just entertained myself thusly for the last 90 minutes. It’s so satisfying to fill in the boxes and then have another answer or two become apparent.

I just discovered the (free) jigsaw puzzles that come with Windows 10.  More challenging than cribbage or sudoku on the computer.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #2389 on: January 18, 2021, 01:13:50 AM »
Excellent craft beer on sale at half price, only due to being near 'best by' date, or slightly past. There's so much hops and alcohol though, it never goes bad (in my humble opinion!).   

IPA, India Pale Ale, was made in England to supply the market for the English colonials in India, who wanted beer from home. They found that making it extra strong and extra hoppy was the best way for it to survive the long sea voyage and still be drinkable, they specially bewed this Ale for India, and it became India Pale Ale. Thats why an IPA was always strong and hoppy.

Cheap little facts like that make me happy

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2390 on: January 18, 2021, 03:08:38 PM »
We had a salad that included a wee handful of arugula from the garden (grown in a half-assed cold frame I built out of a found glass door). Just the idea of greens from the garden in a Toronto January makes me smile.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2391 on: January 18, 2021, 06:25:38 PM »
Going for a walk in the sunshine and soaking in some Vitamin D. I also take a Vitamin D pill every morning -- it makes a huge difference in during winter.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2392 on: January 18, 2021, 07:36:13 PM »
We had a salad that included a wee handful of arugula from the garden (grown in a half-assed cold frame I built out of a found glass door). Just the idea of greens from the garden in a Toronto January makes me smile.

Arugula is delicious! Well done.

My husband just started a new round of basil seeds for his indoor hydroponic setup. The last batch made the best pesto I’ve ever eaten, so I’m optimistic.

Stubblestache

• Stubble
« Reply #2393 on: January 19, 2021, 02:09:36 PM »
I'm 19 days sober. Cheap because I haven't had to spent a single penny, happy because I'm not hungover!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2394 on: January 19, 2021, 02:25:35 PM »
Finally getting around to old home organization chores I have put off for a while. Tools for example. When something broke I was able to make the repair quickly with zero irritation. We moved some time ago and I've never really settled into my garage shop completely. Getting better. Slowly.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2395 on: January 19, 2021, 03:47:43 PM »
Free or inexpensive online courses from top notch universities.

I'm doing an intensive 3 month course on Canadian Indigenous history, which is free, or $65 for a certificate that can be linked on my LinkedIn.

Stubblestache

• Stubble
« Reply #2396 on: January 20, 2021, 03:21:33 AM »
I'm 19 days sober. Cheap because I haven't had to spent a single penny, happy because I'm not hungover!

Ditto! (Yay for us!)

Also, free yoga via "Yoga with Adrienne" on YouTube, and a multi-grain bread recipe that makes fluffy bread.

Yay for us!  A sober forum I'm part of is big on Yoga for Adrienne. I've just got into yoga and am loving it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2397 on: January 20, 2021, 10:18:41 AM »

Ditto! (Yay for us!)

Also, free yoga via "Yoga with Adrienne" on YouTube, and a multi-grain bread recipe that makes fluffy bread.

Yay for us!  A sober forum I'm part of is big on Yoga for Adrienne. I've just got into yoga and am loving it.
Wow! I tip my hat to both of you! Congratulations!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2398 on: January 20, 2021, 10:54:02 AM »
The days are getting longer, which means that just as we prepare breakfast, the sun peeks over the horizon and floods our home with light.

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #2399 on: January 20, 2021, 11:00:31 AM »
Getting and giving away things through my local BuyNothing group - I have gotten gently used Bogs boots, a bunch of classic books, given away a crib, clothes, etc. It is so great to have a community of this sort - it is a win win - de-clutter my space and and the same time find someone who would truly enjoy having the items you don't need.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!