Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939003 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2300 on: August 03, 2020, 10:43:40 PM »
Watching snow fall outside while warm in front of the fire.  We rarely get snow (maybe once every 5 years) and seeing it come down is so beautiful.  It melted as it hit the ground, but still so magical.
That sounds magical

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2301 on: August 04, 2020, 01:46:16 PM »
An evening warm enough to sit out on a pullout in the hills with a pizza with a view to the city and the Golden Gate Bridge both partially shrouded (of course) in fog. And all I needed was a light sweater!  Magic!

And it was DH's birthday, so double happy.

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #2302 on: August 04, 2020, 09:40:30 PM »
An evening warm enough to sit out on a pullout in the hills with a pizza with a view to the city and the Golden Gate Bridge both partially shrouded (of course) in fog. And all I needed was a light sweater!  Magic!

And it was DH's birthday, so double happy.

Oh hey! Fellow San Franciscan, I see. (Well, for now. We might move soon.)

My favorite thing recently has been biking to the top of all the different hills in the city early in the morning. It's too foggy to see much about 80% of the time, but the other 20% is amazing.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2303 on: August 05, 2020, 04:13:51 PM »
Playing tennis with a friend.  Old racket, used balls, public court.  Priceless.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2304 on: August 06, 2020, 05:05:29 AM »
Yoga with Adriene on Youtube, 3 times a day. I may be addicted.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2305 on: August 06, 2020, 02:44:27 PM »

My DW has so many good things to say about that channel. DW is encouraging me to try it to.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2306 on: August 06, 2020, 04:46:58 PM »
Watching snow fall outside while warm in front of the fire.  We rarely get snow (maybe once every 5 years) and seeing it come down is so beautiful.  It melted as it hit the ground, but still so magical.

The magic kinda dries up around when you're shovelling the second foot of the damned stuff out of your driveway at 5:30 in the morning to get your car out of the driveway and begin the interminable slog through snow traffic to work.

It does look pretty falling down though.  :P

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2307 on: August 06, 2020, 07:59:32 PM »
Donating a bag of clothes to someone in need. Having friends over for a potluck.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2308 on: August 06, 2020, 11:11:42 PM »

My DW has so many good things to say about that channel. DW is encouraging me to try it to.
Do it! My teenage daughter reluctantly started doing a 10 min bedtime one with me 2 months ago and hasn't missed a day, even when she is severely pissed off with me! We started a 10 min wake up session on top of that this week. And I am working my way through all the 30 day challenges. The comments are worth reading too. So uplifting.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2309 on: August 07, 2020, 09:36:12 AM »
That's a great idea. Will see if our HS teen will try it.

Always trouble going to sleep and waking up again.
Although teen is trying a 9PM bedtime so that the morning wakeup is easier which we are grateful for.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2310 on: August 07, 2020, 09:42:22 AM »
+1 on Yoga with Adriene. I've enjoyed every video I've done. Her headache relief actually worked! She has other targeted videos that I have gotten a lot of use out of.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2311 on: August 07, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »
+1 on Yoga with Adriene. I've enjoyed every video I've done. Her headache relief actually worked! She has other targeted videos that I have gotten a lot of use out of.

Just to pile on, she's awesome.  I also use her neck and shoulder pain practices to help with my tension headaches from too much computer work with poor posture, and they've helped SO MUCH.  They also put out a new playlist every month, so if you don't have a specific kind of practice you're looking for, you can just search for one of the 30 day programs and follow along.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2312 on: August 08, 2020, 09:01:55 AM »
Donating a bag of clothes to someone in need. Having friends over for a potluck.

Finding out that the dresses I donated went to a four-year-old little girl for whom these are the first dresses she has ever received. It’s hard to fathom that there are four-year-olds who have never owned a dress before. And it makes me happy that I helped to make her day a joyful one.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2313 on: August 08, 2020, 10:32:08 AM »
It’s hard to fathom that there are four-year-olds who have never owned a dress before.

I've managed to live for 39 years without owning a dress.  And only one blouse.  Although, in my defence I thought it was just a fancy shirt.

:P

nobody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2314 on: August 08, 2020, 11:11:21 AM »
When it's not rushed, a nice, long, hot shower.  And playing DnD (Dungeons and Dragons) with friends.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2315 on: August 08, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
Reading a really good book.
Watching my dog try run up trees.
My morning coffee.

Here's one that is a net asset - getting paid to stretch my brain in interesting ways and hitting that deep flow state where you come out of it an hour or two later with an entire conceptual model nutted out and in a format that other people can understand

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2316 on: August 08, 2020, 05:31:40 PM »

The magic kinda dries up around when you're shovelling the second foot of the damned stuff out of your driveway at 5:30 in the morning to get your car out of the driveway and begin the interminable slog through snow traffic to work.

You left out the beautiful view of a snowbank seen from ground level when you've just slipped on the ice and hit your tailbone/hit your head/twisted your knee.  Winter is not for the faint of heart.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2317 on: August 08, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »

You left out the beautiful view of a snowbank seen from ground level when you've just slipped on the ice and hit your tailbone/hit your head/twisted your knee.  Winter is not for the faint of heart.

Yep. Or when it's snowing again for the 5th time in a week and you run out of places to put the shoveled snow from the driveway so you just end up pitching it over the fence into the neighbor's yard.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2318 on: August 08, 2020, 05:52:50 PM »
But since it is summer here, mine is a fun 6-mile bike ride on a Metropark trail surrounded by fields of wildflowers. It smelled heavenly, and there were so many butterflies.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #2319 on: August 08, 2020, 08:39:49 PM »
That can of costco chili or pork and beans that I eat in my car for breakfast at about 3pm after fasting all morning and early afternoon. Super-tasty today!

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2320 on: August 09, 2020, 01:10:59 AM »
My husband figured out how to get the light fitting thing off (basically, bang it hard & continuously with the grip end of the pliers), so now the ceiling light in our bedroom works for the first time in 2-3 years. Winning!!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2321 on: August 09, 2020, 07:04:31 AM »
Being the only one in my house who likes the skin on rotisserie chicken, so I get to eat all of it :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2322 on: August 09, 2020, 08:00:00 AM »
Being the only one in my house who likes the skin on rotisserie chicken, so I get to eat all of it :)

Must be crispy. 

Baguettes: when DD was little she didn't like the crispy crust and I loved it, so she got the inside and I got the outside. Win/win.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2323 on: August 09, 2020, 10:08:13 AM »

Must be crispy. 

Baguettes: when DD was little she didn't like the crispy crust and I loved it, so she got the inside and I got the outside. Win/win.

I have a good deal with my DH like this, too.  I love skin and fat, so I get all of that whenever we eat meat.  He gets the crusty parts of bread, which just tear up the roof of my mouth.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2324 on: August 09, 2020, 05:37:02 PM »

Must be crispy. 

I have a good deal with my DH like this, too.  I love skin and fat, so I get all of that whenever we eat meat.  He gets the crusty parts of bread, which just tear up the roof of my mouth.

Garlic Bread - I love the ends, my wife doesn't like them at all.  Yes!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2325 on: August 10, 2020, 01:10:31 PM »
getting the BBC tv via proxy. Makes me feel more at home here in the US of A.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2326 on: August 10, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »
Did that once upon a time but my method broke. What's your's?

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2327 on: August 11, 2020, 01:19:10 AM »
Leftovers for lunch. Specifically home made baked beans on sourdough toast. Mmmmmm.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2328 on: August 11, 2020, 06:02:20 PM »
Getting groceries at ALDI. In and out in 20 minutes with a cart full of groceries for under $100.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2329 on: August 11, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
Trashpicking. Scored some gift wrap and a rolling ice chest, both brand new!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2330 on: August 14, 2020, 07:28:38 AM »
I ordered lots of books and had them sent to my local library. It was closed for many weeks during the summer. Now they openend again and gave me notice that my pile of books has arrived. But now I am an vacation. I kindly asked them to keep the books for another week for me and they let me know they would do this.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2331 on: August 15, 2020, 04:45:48 AM »
I ordered lots of books and had them sent to my local library. It was closed for many weeks during the summer. Now they openend again and gave me notice that my pile of books has arrived. But now I am an vacation. I kindly asked them to keep the books for another week for me and they let me know they would do this.
I feel so RICH when I have a stack of library books to pickup. Libraries are the best!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2332 on: August 15, 2020, 03:59:35 PM »
Added fresh mint from our balcony garden to a salad. Scored some free stuff at a garage sale.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2333 on: August 15, 2020, 06:09:21 PM »
Harbor Freight Tools.  :)

It's great for when a cheap copy is all you really need. 

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2334 on: August 15, 2020, 06:24:01 PM »
My daffodil and bluebell bulbs, which I planted a couple of years ago, have multiplied like crazy and I have divided heaps of them so I have free bulbs to plant in other parts of the garden.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2335 on: August 24, 2020, 05:55:08 PM »
Perfectly ripe heirloom tomatoes from a local farm.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2336 on: August 24, 2020, 10:34:53 PM »
Getting a letter in the mail

Getting the recycling out to the curb on time

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2337 on: August 24, 2020, 10:46:10 PM »
Playing Dungeons and Dragons with friends!  Completely free with some internet resources and our imaginations~

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2338 on: August 25, 2020, 01:14:15 AM »
Finishing a good book.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2339 on: August 25, 2020, 03:15:04 AM »
Elastic! 1/2 price clothing at the local thrift shop, so I bought a few pieces which have now been dissected to supply narrow elastic for face masks, as its sold out everywhere!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2340 on: August 25, 2020, 09:22:39 AM »
Elastic! 1/2 price clothing at the local thrift shop, so I bought a few pieces which have now been dissected to supply narrow elastic for face masks, as its sold out everywhere!

So smart!! Keeping items out of the landfill and creative reuse for the win!

Using scrap paper from a work office clean out. I wrote a pantry inventory on a piece with a print date of 5/2009   0.o

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2341 on: August 25, 2020, 01:34:05 PM »

An even easier solution is to slice up old t-shirts to make mask ties! I prefer them to elastics, much more comfortable and secure.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2342 on: August 25, 2020, 07:11:45 PM »
Cheap pinot noir and fanfiction.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2343 on: August 26, 2020, 04:30:41 AM »
A post-prandial walk with my neighbour, marvelling how light it is now getting in the evenings.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #2344 on: August 26, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »

Tell us more???

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2345 on: August 26, 2020, 09:07:53 AM »
Sadly, a toebean was harmed in yesterday's home nail trimming. I made it all the way to the last nail and cut too short, resulting in blood and an entire day of reproachful looks from her while curled up in a tiny, insulted ball on the couch.
Cheap things that make you unhappy..?

Oh no! I know that heart-achy feeling all too well. It seems that no matter how many times that you try to kiss the injured toebean better, the reproach remains. Since a similar accident in February, my dog turns into a thrashing giant squid whenever I get the clippers or dremel out. I wonder how many games of chase, kisses and butt-scratches it takes to earn forgiveness.

I collected rose petals and made rose water. It smells heavenly but I'm not decided on how to use it. Any suggestions?

Rose water/syrup can be used in a milkshake, with cardamon/nutmeg/cinnamon.

Growing up, had a lot of it. Also, I miss having a Falooda https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falooda. Very common in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, parts of India.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #2346 on: August 26, 2020, 10:58:20 AM »

Tell us more???
Oh nothing special.  I just buy whatever is on sale or bottom shelf.  This bottle was $7.  I just have a super unrefined palate.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2347 on: August 28, 2020, 11:13:40 AM »
Jiffy corn bread mix: $0.55
2/3 can of cream corn: $0.36

The most moist, most delicious, most simple cornbread ever cooked in a cast iron skillet: priceless

Topped with some of my mom's homemade wild blackberry jelly: gastronomic ecstasy

Makes enough cornbread for four meals or snacks. Very little nutritional value but not as bad a comfort food as say, boxed macaroni and cheese. :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2348 on: August 28, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
Jiffy corn bread mix: $0.55
2/3 can of cream corn: $0.36

The most moist, most delicious, most simple cornbread ever cooked in a cast iron skillet: priceless

Topped with some of my mom's homemade wild blackberry jelly: gastronomic ecstasy

Makes enough cornbread for four meals or snacks. Very little nutritional value but not as bad a comfort food as say, boxed macaroni and cheese. :)

I am totally going to try this.  Sounds delicious. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2349 on: August 29, 2020, 12:55:15 AM »
I received a new mushroom book in the mail, that I contributed to by finding materials. So the book was for free. Normally I would have bought it.