Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939091 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2150 on: June 10, 2020, 02:35:36 PM »
My 11 year old daughter's absolutely delicious home made bagels.  They brought a tear to this transplanted New Yorker's eye.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2151 on: June 11, 2020, 01:46:12 PM »
My 11 year old daughter's absolutely delicious home made bagels.  They brought a tear to this transplanted New Yorker's eye.

Any chance of a recipe, @Hula Hoop ?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2152 on: June 11, 2020, 02:27:35 PM »

Here you go:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bagels-366757

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2153 on: June 11, 2020, 02:50:11 PM »

Here you go:

Thanks!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2154 on: June 13, 2020, 09:45:20 AM »

Here you go:

Thanks!

@Hula Hoop These bagels are SO GOOD.  And super easy!  Thanks again for the recipe!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2155 on: June 13, 2020, 09:58:58 AM »
Keto pancakes in my new-to-me-free cast iron skillet.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2156 on: June 13, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »

Recipe please?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2157 on: June 13, 2020, 02:38:05 PM »
Fruits are in season and instead of paying $4/125g box of blueberries, they are now $1/box. I’m buying several boxes and freezing the fruit for smoothies. So refreshing when it’s 32C/92F and humid!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2158 on: June 13, 2020, 11:56:18 PM »

Recipe please?

4 eggs
1/2 block of cream cheese, softened
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c almond flour
(I added a tsp of vanilla on the second batch)

Blend up together, then cook in a hot skillet with melted butter. They are the fluffiest keto pancakes I've found yet. Very close to regular pancakes!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 11:46:46 AM by okcisok »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2159 on: June 14, 2020, 07:54:57 AM »
Fruits are in season and instead of paying $4/125g box of blueberries, they are now $1/box. I’m buying several boxes and freezing the fruit for smoothies. So refreshing when it’s 32C/92F and humid!
Our service berry bush/tree is heavily-laden with fruit, as is our mulberry tree.  A few more days and we can start harvesting!

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #2160 on: June 14, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »
Our service berry bush/tree is heavily-laden with fruit, as is our mulberry tree.  A few more days and we can start harvesting!

On a similar note... we planted Nanking Bush Cherries when we moved into our house a few years ago. THis year was their first really good year of production. we have had delightful cherries all week, and the raspberries are almost ready to replace them.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2161 on: June 14, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »

Recipe please?

4 eggs
1/2 block of cream cheese
1 tsp baking powder, softened
1/2 c almond flour

Blend up together, then cook in a hot skillet with melted butter. They are the fluffiest keto pancakes I've found yet. Very close to regular pancakes!

Thanks.  I'll have to remember to buy cream cheese next time I shop.  What is the weight/volume of your cream cheese blocks?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2162 on: June 14, 2020, 09:29:22 AM »

Recipe please?

4 eggs
1/2 block of cream cheese
1 tsp baking powder, softened
1/2 c almond flour

@okcisok -- have you by any chance made this with other flour substitutes like coconut or sunflower seed flour?  Do those work as well?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2163 on: June 14, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
It's persimmon season. I LOVE persimmons.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2164 on: June 14, 2020, 11:39:22 PM »
When you can't travel, look at forgotten pics from previous trips.  This was found in a snap from a TV at a bar in Canada:

I guess that I should... stay away from Oklahoma?  :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2165 on: June 15, 2020, 11:48:51 AM »
@okcisok -- have you by any chance made this with other flour substitutes like coconut or sunflower seed flour?  Do those work as well?
[/quote]

Not yet. I just happened to have almond flour on hand, and that's what they called for.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2166 on: June 15, 2020, 11:50:34 AM »

Thanks.  I'll have to remember to buy cream cheese next time I shop.  What is the weight/volume of your cream cheese blocks?
[/quote]

8 oz blocks, so 4 oz for the recipe.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2167 on: June 15, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »
Since earlier in the year I've been waking up earlier and feeling better because of it. Was once a 10AM kind of person if left to my own devices. Now its 6-something.

Am enjoying sitting on the front porch, reading, starting the morning with a tall ice water and watching our dog inspect the front yard. Don't worry, dog is not in danger. Big front yard. Won't got the road without me.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2168 on: June 16, 2020, 05:43:28 AM »
the smells from the flowering trees and shrubs in our neighbourhood have been fantastic this year.  Right now it is late lilacs and black locust and wild roses and peonies.  The peonies are out of this world.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2169 on: June 16, 2020, 06:57:51 AM »
I get a kick out of growing things, especially if it's free.   Vegetables from seed, fruit trees from seed, ornamental bushes from cuttings, etc.
Planting a tree from a tiny seedling and watching it grow to maturity knowing it will long outlive you is also satisfying.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2170 on: June 16, 2020, 09:33:35 AM »
Laughing at our dog and cats.

Dog will lay on the front porch in the morning and when a tractor appears in the field 3/4 of a mile away our "vicious guard dog" will bark at it.

Then the tractor will disappear behind the hill or the trees and dog is content. Then the tractor makes another pass - and the dog has to announce it.

And then the tractor disappears again - dog happy again. Eventually she'll give up and accept that the tractor will come and go as it cuts the hay.

Animals can be so entertaining. Also - the cats ambushing each other as they move around the house.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2171 on: June 16, 2020, 09:47:43 AM »
Harvesting salad greens from the patio

Rain, rain, rain

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2172 on: June 16, 2020, 10:12:10 AM »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2173 on: June 16, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »
Love the cartoon!

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2174 on: June 18, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »
A good sharp kitchen knife.

I am making dinner and chopping away, often with a dull knife.  I have really good knives, and when they are sharp, dinner prep is SO MUCH easier. 

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2175 on: June 18, 2020, 02:02:58 PM »

I am making dinner and chopping away, often with a dull knife.  I have really good knives, and when they are sharp, dinner prep is SO MUCH easier.

For me, sharpening the knives is a happy process in itself.  Meditative, zen-like, and with a good result if you do it right. :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2176 on: June 21, 2020, 12:37:25 AM »
Chasing my dog around the dog park while making kissy noises in a game of "If I catch you, I'll kiss you". I'm super dignified that way.

Yesterday, we played a variation of this game at home. I curled my hands into monster claws and pretend stomped around while yelling "IMA!! GONNA!! KISS!! YOUR!! TOEBEANS!!" while my dog danced around ecstatically, daring me to catch her.
No toebeans were harmed in the playing of this game. (Or actually kissed, either). Also quite dignified, as I always am at home.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2177 on: June 21, 2020, 07:33:04 AM »
I love this community. Whether it's people sharing stories about their furry comic relief, or LindaNorway sharing details of her idyllic life hand-feeding squirrels or skiing to work, I feel like we understand and appreciate one another, and that makes me happy.

Happiness is finding your communities.  When I go to the community garden plots and look at all the asparagus and rhubarb and masses of vegetable goodness, I feel like I am surrounded by my tribe.  Even though I have actually met only 8 of them.  Same feeling at my choir, or my fibre group.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2178 on: June 21, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »
Chasing my dog around the dog park while making kissy noises in a game of "If I catch you, I'll kiss you". I'm super dignified that way.
this is so cute! Love it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2179 on: June 21, 2020, 12:01:09 PM »

For me, sharpening the knives is a happy process in itself.  Meditative, zen-like, and with a good result if you do it right. :)

I collect pocket knives so I've taught myself how to sharpen them (and my kitchen knives too).

I have a flat steel with rounded edges, a rounded, tapered  steel, and a ceramic rod.

Sharpening my knives is relaxing and satisfying.

I enjoy it and am  pretty good at it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2180 on: June 21, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »

I've eaten them a few times when picked right off the tree.

My friend's aunt  grew them  in her side yard.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2181 on: June 22, 2020, 07:59:02 AM »

I do the same thing with neighbour's husky, yelling "catch that butt, ima catch that butt!". She'll finally let me catch her great big hairy husky butt for a full on butt scratch. It's a totally mutual chase game where she's just pretending to not let me get her butt, because any other time she'll actually back up to me for butt scratches. Husky butts are hilarious, great fuzzy, floofy, waggy things!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2182 on: June 22, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »

I've eaten them a few times when picked right off the tree.

My friend's aunt  grew them  in her side yard.

People who don't eat them regularly get them wrong. They should not be even slightly soft. Soft persimmons are horribly slimy. They need to be a deep orange and very firm. They will be kind of crunchy and very sweet, with a melon-y/pumpkin-y flavour.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2183 on: June 22, 2020, 08:19:16 AM »
The smell of jasmine on an evening walk. Jasmine is a smell that I feel like I would hate if it were in a perfume or other products, maybe even indoors at all. But when you just get a couple big nosefuls of it in passing while on a walk, it is a strange combination of stimulating and ethereal.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2184 on: June 22, 2020, 08:32:35 AM »

I do the same thing with neighbour's husky, yelling "catch that butt, ima catch that butt!". She'll finally let me catch her great big hairy husky butt for a full on butt scratch. It's a totally mutual chase game where she's just pretending to not let me get her butt, because any other time she'll actually back up to me for butt scratches. Husky butts are hilarious, great fuzzy, floofy, waggy things!

I just love playing with dogs. We don’t deserve them and their purity.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #2185 on: June 23, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
Cheap golf courses. There is a county course that is $10 full length 9 hole course with no carts. It is a little rough but right on Lake Michigan. If you go to a nice course, its $75+ for 18 and a cart, it is usually packed, judgmental people on the course and clubhouse. At this course and similar county courses, it is definitely more laid back and relaxing. Wearing gym shorts and a running shirt, no one blinks an eye.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2186 on: June 23, 2020, 11:16:08 AM »
I recently taught my 1 year old goldendoodle to play hide and seek.  Well, I hide and she seeks, for now.  We'll work on the reverse.

I tell her to sit and stay, then I leave the room and go hide somewhere.  She waits until I yell "come find me!", sometimes up to a minute.  Watching her search every room and closet and behind every door is awesome.  She gets so happy when she finds me.

Side effect that she now first looks behind doors if she's searching for something (a toy or a human).

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2187 on: June 23, 2020, 05:23:25 PM »
We enjoyed a bit of bird watching today.  We were out on the lake and saw about 8 Osprey soaring around & one swooped down close enough to see that he caught a nice Catfish.  Later, back at the pier we were watching a nest of Blue Heron with 3 large chicks.  They are almost ready to fly.  They actually have more than one nest because the 5 of them won't fit in a single nest.  And finally, our 3 ducklings are grown and swimming around the cove.  They followed a Mallard around for a little while and explored farther from our pier than they had yet. 

Oh, and last week we saw a Bald Eagle.  :)  I've only ever seen one here before, which was about 10 years ago.  We saw this Eagle 2 days in a row, in the same exact place, perched up on top of a tall power tower. 

C-19 seems to be good for bird watching...

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2188 on: June 23, 2020, 08:41:52 PM »

Yesterday, we played a variation of this game at home. I curled my hands into monster claws and pretend stomped around while yelling "IMA!! GONNA!! KISS!! YOUR!! TOEBEANS!!" while my dog danced around ecstatically, daring me to catch her.
No toebeans were harmed in the playing of this game. (Or actually kissed, either). Also quite dignified, as I always am at home.

Sadly, a toebean was harmed in yesterday's home nail trimming. I made it all the way to the last nail and cut too short, resulting in blood and an entire day of reproachful looks from her while curled up in a tiny, insulted ball on the couch.
Cheap things that make you unhappy..?

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2189 on: June 23, 2020, 08:45:41 PM »
The smell of jasmine on an evening walk. Jasmine is a smell that I feel like I would hate if it were in a perfume or other products, maybe even indoors at all. But when you just get a couple big nosefuls of it in passing while on a walk, it is a strange combination of stimulating and ethereal.

I feel the same way about magnolias. I can smell them from a long way off, and just adore their sweet smoky scent. I've never found a manufactured form of the smell that's true. I always look for a low-hanging blossom that I can bury my nose in to enjoy while they last. They fall apart in no-time if you cut them and try to bring them indoors, so I just enjoy them on the tree.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2190 on: June 23, 2020, 10:05:06 PM »
Mmmm jasmine. I love the smell of jasmine, rose, and gardenia flowers and cannot bear them as perfumes. And in the case of rose-perfume will break out in hives. Daphne is another one they just can't capture.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2191 on: June 24, 2020, 03:19:11 AM »
The fresh smell of the earth after a good rain.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2192 on: June 24, 2020, 05:52:23 AM »
The sound of young birds around the house, asking their parents for food.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2193 on: June 24, 2020, 06:56:30 AM »
Sadly, a toebean was harmed in yesterday's home nail trimming. I made it all the way to the last nail and cut too short, resulting in blood and an entire day of reproachful looks from her while curled up in a tiny, insulted ball on the couch.
Cheap things that make you unhappy..?

Oh no! I know that heart-achy feeling all too well. It seems that no matter how many times that you try to kiss the injured toebean better, the reproach remains. Since a similar accident in February, my dog turns into a thrashing giant squid whenever I get the clippers or dremel out. I wonder how many games of chase, kisses and butt-scratches it takes to earn forgiveness.

I collected rose petals and made rose water. It smells heavenly but I'm not decided on how to use it. Any suggestions?

Rose water used to be used for baking the way vanilla extract is now.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2194 on: June 24, 2020, 11:12:53 AM »

Honeysuckle too. Especially when bicycling. Slower speeds so the scent lasts a few more moments.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2195 on: June 24, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »
Also, a clean floor.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2196 on: June 25, 2020, 06:34:03 AM »
finding things on the road while out for a bike ride. tools, money...

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2197 on: June 25, 2020, 04:19:55 PM »
Soliciting cat pictures from my friends and family (for I, alas, am catless.)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2198 on: June 25, 2020, 11:57:51 PM »
The first cup of coffee on a sunny morning.

Also, having gotten my sewing machine back from service.  Bought a classic model for cheap on the local auction site and after a trip to a store for service, it sews like new.  "You probably need another service in ten years or so", the clerk told me.  Worth it.  :)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2199 on: June 26, 2020, 02:56:16 AM »
Grilled cheese sandwiches made from freshly baked bread.