Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 940351 times)

mspym

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2100 on: May 20, 2020, 03:55:48 PM »
Helping my deaf dog learn useless but adorable tricks
. Yayyyyyyy!.
Our silly dog is learning how to stand on her hind legs. We might try add a spin in there next

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2101 on: May 20, 2020, 04:05:32 PM »
Teaching my son how to make his favourite dinners:  tacos last night, san choy bau tonight.

San choy bau was new to me, at least under that name. Gonna make some for my celiac sweetie. Thanks!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2102 on: May 20, 2020, 04:09:20 PM »
Helping my deaf dog learn useless but adorable tricks
. Yayyyyyyy!.
Our silly dog is learning how to stand on her hind legs. We might try add a spin in there next

I taught her to hop over a hurdle today. She also knows how to roll over and how to walk backwards.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2103 on: May 20, 2020, 06:13:32 PM »
Nice! We take ours on a nightly super long lead walk (she's a bolter) in the park next door. She used to get tangled around trees but has now work out how to reverse her path and unwind herself - we give her lots of praise and a treat every time she does this and it's really helped the learning curve.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2104 on: May 20, 2020, 06:47:53 PM »
I bet she loves that long lead

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2105 on: May 20, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »
I bought $15 computer speakers to replace the old ones that are slowly breaking. I've been putting up with the instability of the current speakers for 6+ months.

looking forward to them arriving tomorrow!

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #2106 on: May 20, 2020, 07:02:57 PM »
Free art videos, primarily Met Opera and NYCBallet, but today I found a series of modern dance - Merce Cunningham library.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2107 on: May 22, 2020, 11:32:59 AM »
Watching my niece's wedding via Zoom!
Our aged garden tractor broke down. Heard from several people I should go buy something new and fancy aka expensive. Rather than replace it I replaced a few worn parts inside the engine and we're back in business for less than the price of dinner out. A few parts wore out, not the whole machine. Why replace the whole machine?

Also, cleaning and doing a little extra maintenance along the way. Maybe it'll last another twenty years.
Funny you mention that.  I'm wrenching on my 25-year-old car today, replacing engine mounts that have long since passed their expiration date.  I'm looking forward to less vibration as I drive!
Did the new motor mounts work?
Actually, no.  In fact, the vibration (in gear, at idle, like at a stop light) actually got worse.  Grrr.  At least it doesn't clunk when it downshifts any more.  There's some other clunks in the 25-year-old suspension I'll have to chase down as well.

Any bad sensors? I recently replaced a cam position sensor and the idle quality improved. Like you - idling in gear...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2108 on: May 22, 2020, 11:50:41 AM »
Saw a big white owl of some sort. I hear them from time to time but never see them. This big owl landed where I could see him and then waited almost until I had my camera out before flying away. No picture. Still a treat all the same.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2109 on: May 22, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »
Watching my niece's wedding via Zoom!
Our aged garden tractor broke down. Heard from several people I should go buy something new and fancy aka expensive. Rather than replace it I replaced a few worn parts inside the engine and we're back in business for less than the price of dinner out. A few parts wore out, not the whole machine. Why replace the whole machine?

Also, cleaning and doing a little extra maintenance along the way. Maybe it'll last another twenty years.
Funny you mention that.  I'm wrenching on my 25-year-old car today, replacing engine mounts that have long since passed their expiration date.  I'm looking forward to less vibration as I drive!
Did the new motor mounts work?
Actually, no.  In fact, the vibration (in gear, at idle, like at a stop light) actually got worse.  Grrr.  At least it doesn't clunk when it downshifts any more.  There's some other clunks in the 25-year-old suspension I'll have to chase down as well.

Any bad sensors? I recently replaced a cam position sensor and the idle quality improved. Like you - idling in gear...
While troubleshooting an ignition issue a few years ago, I replaced that same sensor.  Didn't make a difference then, so I'm pretty sure it's fine.  I may replace the fourth engine mount (replaced a couple years ago), just so it matches the other three, to see if that makes a difference.  The funny thing is, if it's just a few RPM higher, it's nice and smooth.

draco44

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2110 on: May 23, 2020, 07:56:26 PM »
I have a houseplant that I found next to my neighbor's garbage can before COVID-19 broke out. It had been left for dead, but it is doing really well with me in its new home! And I am around a lot to appreciate its growth every day and notice all the new leaves that are emerging.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2111 on: May 23, 2020, 08:36:11 PM »
The satisfying "pop" that dandelions make when you pull them out of the ground.

Speaking of dandelions, plucking the clocks and blowing the bits of fluff into a gentle breeze on an evening walk.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2112 on: May 24, 2020, 12:13:00 AM »
It's getting quite cold here and a hot water bottle is such a nice way to keep warm.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2113 on: May 24, 2020, 06:38:12 AM »
Walking on the beach in the rain with my husband and dog.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2114 on: May 24, 2020, 07:59:18 AM »
My first zucchini plant is starting to grow, after pampering the seed better than my first attempt.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #2115 on: May 24, 2020, 12:58:20 PM »
Finding ways to use foods I previously composted: 1. watermelon rind - just the white part, not the green part.  I read somewhere that an average watermelon is 25 pounds, 7 of that rind. most of that it white, so say 6 pounds of vegetable I didn't have to pay extra for. We don't pickle it, just add spices and cook in a pressure cooker.  The chopping takes time but the cooking is easy.
2. ridged gourd is a popular indian food, which my Mom used to grow.  I found it on the quick sale rack yesterday, still perfectly fine. a few spots, but that would happen anyway.  Like the watermelon, Mom used to peel it heavily - two peelings, one for the thick ridges and then for the peel.  I composted the ridges but saved the peels to make another vegetable.  Lots of fiber plus vitamins.

ETA: 3. cauliflower leaves 4.strawberry tops
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:20:21 PM by Runrooster »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2116 on: May 25, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
While troubleshooting an ignition issue a few years ago, I replaced that same sensor.  Didn't make a difference then, so I'm pretty sure it's fine.  I may replace the fourth engine mount (replaced a couple years ago), just so it matches the other three, to see if that makes a difference.  The funny thing is, if it's just a few RPM higher, it's nice and smooth.

I have an aged watercooled VW who has similar issues. I wonder if the flywheel or pressure plate is not balanced or indexed correctly. Also replaced motor mounts with minor improvements. Planning on selling it so not something I'll try to solve.

Have you checked compression, cylinder leak down or injectors? We had a V6 once that idled poorly due to a burned valve (cracked exhaust valve) that was mostly okay above idle. 

Hope you find your gremlin!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:37:40 AM by Just Joe »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2117 on: May 25, 2020, 10:35:18 AM »
Riding my bike on smooth gravel country lanes. The sounds the tires make on the gravel chips. Looked like they chipped the road, no tar. Doesn't seem very durable but whatever. Rode ~25 miles yesterday with our youngest. Great afternoon. Wasn't utterly spent after we returned which was nice. I need to exercise  more often.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:37:06 AM by Just Joe »

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2118 on: May 26, 2020, 08:04:02 AM »
-Watching plants we started as seeds begin to come up
-Sitting by the pool on a hot day
-Free library books via an app, so I don't have to miss out when the library is closed
-The anticipation of our imperfect produce delivery

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #2119 on: May 26, 2020, 09:25:31 AM »
MIL gave me a start of a hosta that I did not have...lime green leaves with a dark, sage colored border.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2120 on: May 26, 2020, 09:45:30 AM »
fresh greens from my garden.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2121 on: May 26, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
The smell of lilacs in bloom!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2122 on: May 27, 2020, 06:58:08 AM »
The smell of lilacs in bloom!

Yes! I’ve been taking extra walks lately because of it.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2123 on: May 27, 2020, 07:21:28 AM »
Seeing people's hearts melt a little when my big, allegedly "scary looking" dog flops down at their feet to ask for belly rubs.

Please pay photo tax

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #2124 on: May 27, 2020, 07:28:59 AM »
I loan out 25 USD twice a month at Kiva to some people in developing countries to help them build toilets, solar energy or a business. It makes me happy to see the different project that I have enabled and see the loan getting repaid so I can invest the money again. I also think it is fun to choose the next project.
I've done this for years! I love seeing just how many different small industries/projects and countries my initial $25 has traveled through.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #2125 on: May 27, 2020, 07:30:29 AM »
fresh greens from my garden.
Yes! Now picking radishes and leaf lettuce. Salad season!

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2126 on: May 28, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »
Getting letters/cards in the mail

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2127 on: May 28, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
Watching the cheeky rainbow lorrikeets in my ornamental pear trees from my bed.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2128 on: May 29, 2020, 06:47:39 PM »
Quality neck fuzz

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2129 on: May 29, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
Seeing people's hearts melt a little when my big, allegedly "scary looking" dog flops down at their feet to ask for belly rubs.

Please pay photo tax

My magnificent cuddly buddy.

I love big dogs.  He's such a cuddle bun, not scary at all. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2130 on: May 30, 2020, 09:01:01 PM »
I was talking to a friend who is Sheltering In Place at her daughter's house, about nine hours south of here. Friend is older, and when she was diagnosed with pneumonia, daughter zipped up, grabbed her, and took her home. Friend says she's doing much better, but needed to do some shopping. "What do you need?" I asked. The reply was underwear. She wanted a specific type of Jockey Undies. I'm in the Jockey "club", so I hopped online and ordered them for her and charged it to her credit card. She was thrilled. Today, I got a handwritten thank-you note from her.♥️♥️♥️ In a pandemic, friends help friends buy underwear.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #2131 on: June 01, 2020, 09:08:24 AM »
Working in my herb garden, with my black cat rolling around in the catmint completely blissed out! Priceless...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2132 on: June 01, 2020, 09:21:28 AM »
Found a new one. Was bicycling in my hiking sandals here in the country....

Cheap thrill: grass ticking my toes if I ride close to the edge of the pavement.

Repeat thrill: having the house open to the clean air, birds chirping, etc. Its quiet this morn. No motorcycles, no mowers, no human noises at all right now. 

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2133 on: June 01, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »
Took a little drive in the countryside yesterday.  Seeing a quite young foal gallop merrily around its mother filled me with joy.

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #2134 on: June 01, 2020, 11:23:50 AM »

Please pay photo tax

My magnificent cuddly buddy.

I love big dogs.  He's such a cuddle bun, not scary at all.

These pics of your pup are a cheap thing that make me happy!  :D

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2135 on: June 01, 2020, 02:28:02 PM »
My husband and I could not stop laughing last night at the enthusiasm with which our boy cat runs into the kitchen when we get the salad spinner out.  I can't believe he recognizes the sound of the salad spinner!  We use the spinner to clean all of his favorite brassicas as well as lettuce, which he also loves, so I guess the salad spinner is his Pavlov's bell now, and it's very cute and funny.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2136 on: June 02, 2020, 02:49:58 AM »
Yesterday I got a squirrel to eat nuts out of my hand.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2137 on: June 02, 2020, 04:27:20 AM »
The smell of warm rain at this time of year.  Lilac,  lily of the valley , honeysuckle, dogwood and viburnum are in bloom.  A sprinkle of rain mingles it with wet earth and it is glorious.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2138 on: June 02, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »
The little magazine our local electric cooperative puts out has some really tasty sounding recipes for summer squashes this month

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2139 on: June 02, 2020, 09:12:33 PM »
Playing tennis with the kids on the neighborhood court on a sunny evening. With school (almost) out!

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2140 on: June 02, 2020, 11:48:40 PM »
Going through old photos and remembering good times.  Not that old, just a decade ago. :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2141 on: June 03, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
Last year I planted milkweed in my garden, and today I watched a monarch butterfly laying her eggs on it.  :)

This is awesome. What a great reminder too about the long-term benefits of actions. Thanks for the smile this morning.

The eggs hatched and the caterpillars are doing well!  They make me happy every day. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2142 on: June 03, 2020, 10:11:53 AM »
Sunlight falling on my clean dishes in the dish drainer makes my heart sing.  Don't know why, but it does.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2143 on: June 03, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
Last year I planted milkweed in my garden, and today I watched a monarch butterfly laying her eggs on it.  :)

This is awesome. What a great reminder too about the long-term benefits of actions. Thanks for the smile this morning.

The eggs hatched and the caterpillars are doing well!  They make me happy every day. 

That's so exciting!  We have some surprise milkweed at our new house, and I'm really hoping that we get some monarchs this year, or eventually.

ZsaZsa

• Stubble
« Reply #2144 on: June 05, 2020, 07:08:04 AM »
Sitting on the front porch during a gentle rain...watching a box turtle walk across the yard. Where to? No idea...but that little sucker moved like he was on a mission! Must be mating season...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2145 on: June 08, 2020, 06:14:54 AM »
Our library system announced that it will start curbside service next Monday. Yay!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2146 on: June 08, 2020, 06:46:30 AM »
Also, avocado toast for breakfast: 1/2 avocado, $0.50; 1 slice gluten-free bread, $0.25; butter, lime juice, salt, and chili-lime seasoning, $0.10.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2147 on: June 09, 2020, 09:16:42 AM »
Our library system announced that it will start curbside service next Monday. Yay!
I'm off this afternoon to pick up the first of my sweetie's curbside library orders. I think she's more excited about this than about our last vacation!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2148 on: June 09, 2020, 06:02:56 PM »
New neighbors moved in two houses down. Introduced ourselves. Noticed they had no furniture on their porch, so gave them a small wooden set we used before someone handed down a larger metal set.

+1 decluttering +1 neighborliness +1 paying it forward

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2149 on: June 10, 2020, 02:33:01 PM »
Eggs were nearing the end of their shelf life so spouse made a pineapple upside down cake