Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939100 times)

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2050 on: April 27, 2020, 06:39:04 PM »
Just visited with a dog friend that I haven't seen in a month due to lockdown. There was jumping and barking and general silliness, which was lovely.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2051 on: April 27, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »
Wearing a short sleeved shirt outside! My southern California self may never get completely used to northern California/ Bay Area weather and the previous few days I can wear short or sleeveless shirts anytime throughout the year. I am appreciative of something I didn't used to know warranted appreciation! It's been absolutely heavenly.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #2052 on: April 28, 2020, 09:03:47 AM »
Watching my sourdough starter peak after feeding. Weirdly satisfying, and it happens readily now that the days are warmer.

A bed that's layered and made up like a hotel's. Not expensive, it's just the method. A few minutes can make the bed look so serene and inviting.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2053 on: May 02, 2020, 01:51:34 PM »
It is 74°F/23°C and sunny. I just got the front landscaping weeded and cleaned up. The windows are open, and we’re getting a great breeze in the house.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2054 on: May 03, 2020, 11:33:41 AM »
Okay, I have one...I got an email from @lifejoy, the originator of this thread and the instigator of many lively forum discussions in the past. I told her this thread is still thriving and she said she'd try to take a peek. Hope she does, so all her old forum friends can get the same thrill I did! Miss you, LJ!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2055 on: May 03, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »
Okay, I have one...I got an email from @lifejoy, the originator of this thread and the instigator of many lively forum discussions in the past. I told her this thread is still thriving and she said she'd try to take a peek. Hope she does, so all her old forum friends can get the same thrill I did! Miss you, LJ!
Woohoo! *waves at LJ*

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2056 on: May 03, 2020, 11:36:36 PM »
We are at our cabin and see a squirrel again. This one jumps from the high snow on the ground upward to the feeding tray, a trick I haven't seen used before.
It put a hazelnut in it't mouth to hide somewhere and was looking around for a second thing to add. It found the empty walnyt shell that still smelled good. So those two items were buried somewhere.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2057 on: May 04, 2020, 06:17:19 AM »
Hanging out with my teenage son and solving Rubik's cubes together. I am still amazed that I can even do this!

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2058 on: May 04, 2020, 07:33:55 AM »
Watching the dogs play in a their kiddie pool filled with water from the rain barrel

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2059 on: May 04, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »
Woohoo! *waves at LJ*

:)

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2060 on: May 04, 2020, 09:16:36 AM »
A long walk..combination of sun, wind and gentle rain

Hoopla audiobooks from the library.
 Such a treat to listen to stories while on these long walks..

Seeing a guy drive by in his old classic truck, painted bright cobalt blue..a slightly beat-up, work-truck but you could tell he loved that vehicle

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2061 on: May 04, 2020, 05:29:19 PM »
Last year I planted milkweed in my garden, and today I watched a monarch butterfly laying her eggs on it.  :) 

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2062 on: May 05, 2020, 06:44:54 AM »
Last year I planted milkweed in my garden, and today I watched a monarch butterfly laying her eggs on it.  :)

This is awesome. What a great reminder too about the long-term benefits of actions. Thanks for the smile this morning.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2063 on: May 06, 2020, 01:29:32 PM »
Sat on the balcony at midday, breathing that clean pure Toronto air. Not a sentence I may get to use too often in future years.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2064 on: May 06, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »
Sat on the balcony at midday, breathing that clean pure Toronto air. Not a sentence I may get to use too often in future years.

LOL!

I could say the same thing about my Ottawa air, on a busy street.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2065 on: May 06, 2020, 03:32:11 PM »
Listening to the soft, soothing crackling of a wood wick candle that I handle poured nearly a month ago.  Beeswax candles really do last forever.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2066 on: May 06, 2020, 06:25:56 PM »
Finding some more mystery sprouts in my compost. Don't know what they are, but it will be something I like to eat, so in the garden plot they go! Second-hand tools, locally sourced soil additives, and free plants! I love the smell of the wet earth and leaf mold and growing things. My dog comes out to investigate, finds no food that she considers edible, and flops on the ground for a nap. Add a cool breeze and it's perfect.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2067 on: May 06, 2020, 07:05:16 PM »
Sitting outside while on a morning walk to watch the sky wake up over the city while the magpies qwork away to each other.

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2068 on: May 07, 2020, 06:36:58 AM »
I used leftover cloth from previous sewing projects to make cloth face masks. Super comfortable, washable, and they fit really well!

I am also enjoying mask making - how about a wardrobe of masks?  My first was simply pleating a beautiful vintage handkerchief, embroidered and lace-trimmed, that I'd never known what to do with because the fabric was strangely heavy (probably a child's project).  Then I tried a contoured design with a nose wire out of a snippet of some feather print I'd bought celebrating my Cherokee registration.  Now I'm making ones that exactly match my sewn clothes.  Just before all this exploded, I bought a dress on closeout because it was a size too big.  I've taken it in, and used the trimmings to piece together a matching mask.  Next will be a windowpane check blouse with a matching windowpane check mask.

My mother reports embroidering a smile and a "hi!" on her cloth mask.  Which I may do too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2069 on: May 07, 2020, 02:45:47 PM »
Since corona measures started, I have been listening to online presentations about mushrooms and edible food. Today I got a free course in how to ferment food. I am inspired to find some plants to try this fermentation process.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2070 on: May 07, 2020, 06:21:28 PM »
Sunshine.  Glorious sunshine!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2071 on: May 07, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »
A nice cup of tea

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2072 on: May 08, 2020, 02:23:41 AM »
A nice cup of tea

Yes! Preferably made by someone else.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #2073 on: May 08, 2020, 09:11:22 AM »
Figuring out how to make my own chai tea latte's(most of the instant packs are too sweet): Make up a cup of Chai tea using tea bags(I use 2 or three bags for a 20 oz cup to make it strong), then add sweetened condensed milk to desired sweetness level(I didn't know until recently you can get sweetened condensed milk in a squeeze bottle which really makes this easy.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #2074 on: May 08, 2020, 09:53:41 AM »
When I see my cat sleeping in a box. And it's a cheap thing that makes her happy, too.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2075 on: May 08, 2020, 01:36:10 PM »
The 20th birthday celebration for this otter at the Shedd Aquarium.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2076 on: May 08, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »
Our aged garden tractor broke down. Heard from several people I should go buy something new and fancy aka expensive. Rather than replace it I replaced a few worn parts inside the engine and we're back in business for less than the price of dinner out. A few parts wore out, not the whole machine. Why replace the whole machine?

Also, cleaning and doing a little extra maintenance along the way. Maybe it'll last another twenty years.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2077 on: May 09, 2020, 11:52:45 AM »
Watching my niece's wedding via Zoom!
Our aged garden tractor broke down. Heard from several people I should go buy something new and fancy aka expensive. Rather than replace it I replaced a few worn parts inside the engine and we're back in business for less than the price of dinner out. A few parts wore out, not the whole machine. Why replace the whole machine?

Also, cleaning and doing a little extra maintenance along the way. Maybe it'll last another twenty years.
Funny you mention that.  I'm wrenching on my 25-year-old car today, replacing engine mounts that have long since passed their expiration date.  I'm looking forward to less vibration as I drive!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2078 on: May 09, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
My mother reports embroidering a smile and a "hi!" on her cloth mask.  Which I may do too.
Unless you do it on just the outermost layer, I'd avoid this. You'd be putting lots of holes in your masks. You could try writing on it with a Sharpie. They come in lots of fun colors and don't make holes.

ETA: I love the idea, just not the holes.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2079 on: May 10, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »
Spending time with family on Mother's Day with no cooking or elaborate plans.
Playing in the yard on a gorgeous day with bubble wands.
A quiet evening curled up on the couch with classic 80's antenna tv.

Saretire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2080 on: May 11, 2020, 06:53:55 AM »
Being allowed to take our dogs for a walk this morning after a 5 week lockdown ban.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #2081 on: May 11, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »

Funny you mention that.  I'm wrenching on my 25-year-old car today, replacing engine mounts that have long since passed their expiration date.  I'm looking forward to less vibration as I drive!

Did the new motor mounts work?

I mowed today. It worked! Looks like cut hay out there right now. Need to adjust the valves tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 06:32:26 PM by Just Joe »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2082 on: May 11, 2020, 07:27:13 PM »

Did the new motor mounts work?
Actually, no.  In fact, the vibration (in gear, at idle, like at a stop light) actually got worse.  Grrr.  At least it doesn't clunk when it downshifts any more.  There's some other clunks in the 25-year-old suspension I'll have to chase down as well.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2083 on: May 11, 2020, 07:28:48 PM »
My young niece is an avid reader. I can't wait to give her so many good books.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2084 on: May 13, 2020, 03:51:45 AM »
We don’t have to wear a mask anymore when we are outside (unless we walk past another person, then common courtesy dictates that you put up your mask to cover your mouth until you pass each other). I really enjoy not having to breathe through a cloth.

Crease

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2085 on: May 13, 2020, 05:12:35 AM »
The clean smell of a room after I've wiped down the surfaces.

Noticing changes in our houseplants. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2086 on: May 13, 2020, 07:06:53 AM »
Being allowed to take our dogs for a walk this morning after a 5 week lockdown ban.
Whoa! You couldn't even walk your dogs? Where are you located? (In general)

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2087 on: May 13, 2020, 10:51:51 PM »
Reading books from my shelves and realising how many wonderful books I own. Some of them I bought 20 years ago and remained unread till now.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2088 on: May 14, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
Warblers coming back! And finding a new place to see them.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2089 on: May 16, 2020, 12:30:42 PM »
Eating a bowl strawberries straight from the garden out on the patio while the dogs play in the kiddie pools. After the strawberries are gone I toss then the tops like treats.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2090 on: May 16, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »
I loan out 25 USD twice a month at Kiva to some people in developing countries to help them build toilets, solar energy or a business. It makes me happy to see the different project that I have enabled and see the loan getting repaid so I can invest the money again. I also think it is fun to choose the next project.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2091 on: May 16, 2020, 05:01:29 PM »
baltimore oriole pair was hanging out with me while I gardened at my Dad's farm.  I was really missing my Dad today but being in nature was such a treat.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2092 on: May 17, 2020, 02:51:05 AM »
The smell of fresh homemade cinnamon buns baking in the oven. And now the smell of homemade roast chicken.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2093 on: May 17, 2020, 06:01:56 AM »
Watching the birds in our back yard - we have a pair of cardinals that hang around, a blue jay that seems to live in the neighbor's tree, and various robins, starlings, house sparrows, and a grey bird I haven't identified yet.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2094 on: May 17, 2020, 06:25:13 AM »
Watching the birds in our back yard - we have a pair of cardinals that hang around, a blue jay that seems to live in the neighbor's tree, and various robins, starlings, house sparrows, and a grey bird I haven't identified yet.

Definitely this.  We moved last August, so this is our first spring in our new house, and we have so many birds we didn't see when we were in town - Bullock's orioles, a western tanager, hummingbirds, meadowlarks.  Yesterday my husband saw what he thinks is a Western kingbird, which I've never even heard of before, but it's pretty.  Our 4 year old always gets really excited about the ones he knows the names of :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2095 on: May 18, 2020, 06:16:32 PM »
Being out on the lake in a borrowed canoe. Exercise, sun, and fresh air. Even took a quick nap on the beach under the shade of my thrifted sunhat.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #2096 on: May 19, 2020, 05:56:43 AM »
a grey bird I haven't identified yet.

Uh oh, this kicks off my helper/mansplainer gene... catbird? Mockingbird?

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2097 on: May 19, 2020, 06:04:33 AM »
a grey bird I haven't identified yet.

Uh oh, this kicks off my helper/mansplainer gene... catbird? Mockingbird?

I did a bit of research after posting and I believe it may be a catbird.  I didn't see one yesterday to verify, though.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2098 on: May 19, 2020, 06:51:21 PM »
Teaching my son how to make his favourite dinners:  tacos last night, san choy bau tonight.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2099 on: May 20, 2020, 12:40:25 PM »
Helping my deaf dog learn useless but adorable tricks

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!