Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939034 times)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #2000 on: April 04, 2020, 02:21:22 AM »
Went for a run yesterday morning.  Despite the temperatures still hovering in the 30's, and the darkness at 5:20am there were myriad birds out singing their hearts out.  Magical!

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2001 on: April 04, 2020, 02:59:55 AM »
Practising Yoga with Adriene on Youtube with my daughter. Adriene is such gift  in these times. We love her!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2002 on: April 07, 2020, 01:26:57 AM »
The smell of fresh baked sugar cookies in the air. We used gingerbread house cookie cutters and will make a Spring/Easter house.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2003 on: April 07, 2020, 06:09:40 AM »
Coffee I made at home, in my reusable ceramic Starbucks mug.

Watching the baby crawl around.  (He's expensive generally, but family together time is not.)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2004 on: April 07, 2020, 06:12:38 AM »
Watched the sun rise this morning with my DH, sipping coffee and tea on the porch. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2005 on: April 07, 2020, 07:40:44 PM »
Sitting on the front porh with DW, watching a thunderstorm roll in/by

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2006 on: April 07, 2020, 09:36:49 PM »
Picking apples off my own trees and stewing or dehydrating the excess.  So delicious.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2007 on: April 07, 2020, 10:37:44 PM »
We just got 3 ducklings to raise.  They've added a bit of fun to our time of social distancing.  Surprisingly our little Shih Tzu is in love with them.  She wants to be a mama duck. 

In 3-4 months they should be big enough to turn loose into lake. 

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2008 on: April 08, 2020, 05:38:30 PM »
Cheap things that make you Happy

1. Hearing the Laughter of Little Children..so Pure, so Innocent.

2. Squabbling with my hubby and Winning 80% of the Time.

3. Seeing and discussing Life and the Future with and through my Darling Daughter's eyes...whilst taking walks in the midst of this Dreadful Covid lockdown.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2009 on: April 08, 2020, 05:47:15 PM »
Whenever Queen Elizabeth II wears something green, the internet turns it into a green screen. Sometimes with hilarious results. (I am not making light of her actual speech last week, which was kind and compassionate and very appropriate.)

https://www.boredpanda.com/queen-green-screen-outfit-photoshop/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=BPFacebook&fbclid=IwAR2kNeKFpgkTowsc_O9z3QJ29Hlyeogae3FeIHz6lQNUrGSCl6MR2O_VxwY

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2010 on: April 08, 2020, 05:48:10 PM »
Also, the weather was nice enough that we have had the windows open all day. And all of my perennials have leaf buds.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2011 on: April 09, 2020, 04:25:55 AM »
Watching "The Last Waltz" on Youtube. Love The Band!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2012 on: April 09, 2020, 08:46:12 AM »
-Discovering old tv series with the kids (they don't get to watch TV during typical school weeks)
-The way the kids still try & hide & scare each other every night before bed. Some nights, it's irritating, but I often get a chuckle out of someone jumping out of a closet, and the other kid shrieking
-A huge variety of tea. I ordered a 120 pack in early March, when our office moved to WFH. It's been such a gift every day
-Marco Polo with friends & family

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2013 on: April 09, 2020, 02:56:22 PM »
We're still trying to decide on names for these 3 little cuties.  (don't know why it posted sideways)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2014 on: April 09, 2020, 04:14:26 PM »
Our homemade face masks make me happy. I used pretty, patterned fabrics and a design that is more comfortable than looping the elastics on your ears. They get washed everyday in hot soapy water, so it always smells like fresh laundry (instead of that plastic-y, weird smell for the disposable masks). I also like the fact that reusable washable masks create less garbage.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2015 on: April 09, 2020, 04:16:03 PM »
Practicing walking and climbing stairs with my cat, who had major surgery on both femurs two weeks ago.  I've never been so excited to see him go up a few stairs, even though most of his life I would curse his sister and him for their incessant counter-surfing.  Cost of practicing with him is cheap at just a few treats per training session. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2016 on: April 10, 2020, 06:18:02 AM »
Playing three-handed cribbage with my kids.  We had one epic match that stretched over several days (first one to 10 games won was the winner).  My 14 year old son won that mega-match in a squeaker final game, and he felt like a king. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2017 on: April 10, 2020, 09:50:56 AM »
This, starting at about 8:30 in the video. That little girl is going to remember this birthday for the rest of her life, in a really good way.

VIDEO: Original HAMILTON Cast Reunites to Sing 'Alexander Hamilton' on John Krasinski's SOME GOOD NEWS

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2018 on: April 10, 2020, 03:52:36 PM »
Having friends over now that we are no longer in lockdown. Swapping our extra apples for a fresh loaf of bread with a friend. Sharing extra cloth masks that I made with another friend.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2019 on: April 10, 2020, 07:16:48 PM »
Windows open, fresh air blowing through the house

Vacuuming then washing the living room floor--seems so tidy now

Using up bits & ends of food to make tasty treats (i.e...more apple/rhubarb crumble)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2020 on: April 11, 2020, 05:15:00 AM »
Whenever Queen Elizabeth II wears something green, the internet turns it into a green screen. Sometimes with hilarious results. (I am not making light of her actual speech last week, which was kind and compassionate and very appropriate.)

https://www.boredpanda.com/queen-green-screen-outfit-photoshop/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=BPFacebook&fbclid=IwAR2kNeKFpgkTowsc_O9z3QJ29Hlyeogae3FeIHz6lQNUrGSCl6MR2O_VxwY
That was a gift, thank you!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2021 on: April 15, 2020, 06:06:47 AM »
A flock of about 100 cedar waxwings has been hanging around here this past week, eating the berries off our holly trees.  They're the most beautiful birds. 

Bettersafe

• Stubble
« Reply #2022 on: April 15, 2020, 07:19:19 AM »
Waking up really early and discovering that the birds ar already singing, the sun is starting to get out and than be able to snuggle up and fall a sleep again for another half hour before the kids wake up.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2023 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:09 AM »

That was a gift, thank you!

I second this--so good!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2024 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:45 AM »
For a couple of days our bird feeder has been visited by the European Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis), which is a bird that I have seldom seen. Only many years ago in our previous house. I hope they will nest in our garden. They tend to nest in pine trees which our garden is full of.

Also happy that there are lots of good alternatives for lightly used cars of the type we want to buy. Therefore we will buy used instead of new.

Accrual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2025 on: April 15, 2020, 09:19:47 AM »
Went for a run yesterday morning.  Despite the temperatures still hovering in the 30's, and the darkness at 5:20am there were myriad birds out singing their hearts out.  Magical!

Yes, there is something magical about the stillness an early morning run brings.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2026 on: April 15, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
Seedlings popping up in their little seedtrays

Airing and beating out the carpet

Quiet mornings, with the sounds of little critters and birds over the traffic :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2027 on: April 15, 2020, 02:21:55 PM »
This, starting at about 8:30 in the video. That little girl is going to remember this birthday for the rest of her life, in a really good way.

VIDEO: Original HAMILTON Cast Reunites to Sing 'Alexander Hamilton' on John Krasinski's SOME GOOD NEWS

THIS HAS BEEN THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY WEEK!! I will continue to rewatch! This kind of act reminds me of the good that has come of this situation.

In much less thrilling news, I had some mystery seeds sprout in my compost bin. I spent the early afternoon carefully transplanting them to an empty flowerbed. I may have a ton of pumpkins, acorn squash, or cucumbers. Who knows??

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2028 on: April 15, 2020, 02:56:23 PM »
Finding replacement running shoes at 60% off.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2029 on: April 15, 2020, 03:02:08 PM »
Being able to work on a puzzle using the whole dinner table.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2030 on: April 15, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
Our strawberry plants, blueberry bush, orange tree are all starting to bloom. And our mint and citronella also seem to have made the journey and transplant successfully.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2031 on: April 15, 2020, 06:41:01 PM »

THIS HAS BEEN THE HIGHLIGHT OF MY WEEK!! I will continue to rewatch! This kind of act reminds me of the good that has come of this situation.

thanks for sharing this...so wonderful :)

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2032 on: April 16, 2020, 02:34:14 PM »
Wikipedia existing so I can easily "fact-check" the historical melodrama TV series I'm watching

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2033 on: April 16, 2020, 05:01:30 PM »
Wikipedia existing so I can easily "fact-check" the historical melodrama TV series I'm watching

I am so guilty of doing this too.  Watching "The Crown" we kept using Wikipedia to check on the side stories and different characters we didn't remember or know.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2034 on: April 17, 2020, 06:05:53 AM »
My DD is working on a ridiculously hard puzzle.  She wants us to help.  I am overjoyed when I fit in one piece.  Last night, as the puzzle is now approaching 75% complete, I did about ten pieces. 

sarah102

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2035 on: April 20, 2020, 02:57:33 AM »
Even though I'm just staying at home most of the time, I occasionally use this strawberry conditioner from The Body Shop that just lightens up my mood and makes me feel like I'm going on a date lol

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2036 on: April 20, 2020, 04:16:32 AM »
Al fresco lunch on the balcony in the sunshine, sitting at a little cafe table amongst our plants and bushes.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #2037 on: April 20, 2020, 05:34:09 AM »
Having all the time in the world to make a quilt for our big bed. I am loving cutting out all the squares of material, saved from other projects, and the kids' outgrown clothes. It is so meditative, and playing with colour combinations is so soothing.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #2038 on: April 20, 2020, 06:11:57 AM »
daffodils in my garden - even before they open up completely they are delightful.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2039 on: April 20, 2020, 07:50:35 AM »
This morning, it’s Some Good News by John Krasinski and various virtual guests: https://youtu.be/VQLi2GYVULc

He actually held a virtual prom after seeing a video of a dad who set up an at-home dance with his daughter so that she could wear her dress. So much fun! (My friend posted photos of her preteen girls dancing to it in their party dresses. Adorable!)

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2040 on: April 20, 2020, 06:19:40 PM »
Running classes for my students from a nearby park.  Hearing the birds and the sound of a stream babbling away.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2041 on: April 20, 2020, 08:45:35 PM »
Being able to work on a puzzle using the whole dinner table.

I have one that's been on my entire coffee table for weeks now. Then we started another one on SO's coffee table. Such maddening fun

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2042 on: April 21, 2020, 02:20:11 AM »
Just a morning walk in the sunshine and clean air that my little corner of the world gave me today. :)

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #2043 on: April 21, 2020, 06:37:50 PM »
Reaping the rewards of planting for pollinators: today we had monarchs, mourning cloaks, cloudless sulphurs, gulf fritillaries and umber skippers in the back garden.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2044 on: April 27, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »
This morning, it’s Some Good News by John Krasinski and various virtual guests: https://youtu.be/VQLi2GYVULc

He actually held a virtual prom after seeing a video of a dad who set up an at-home dance with his daughter so that she could wear her dress. So much fun! (My friend posted photos of her preteen girls dancing to it in their party dresses. Adorable!)

Just watched the new episodes and cried happy, uncynical tears. Love this man and what he is doing.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2045 on: April 27, 2020, 12:36:53 PM »
Seeing the first bloom of my new rose - it is prettier than I thought it would be - a lively pink, not too pale but not screaming pink either.
Better yet - the scent is truly heavenly - a true rose scent.
Been waiting for three months:) worth the wait.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2046 on: April 27, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
Family walk!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #2047 on: April 27, 2020, 03:58:34 PM »
Sunshine streaming in through the windows this morning. We have forecast a week of rain, so I am enjoying the beautiful (but cold) weather while I can.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2048 on: April 27, 2020, 04:00:11 PM »
Our little redbud tree is going to bloom for the first time this year (we planted it in 2017).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2049 on: April 27, 2020, 04:51:38 PM »

Just watched the new episodes and cried happy, uncynical tears. Love this man and what he is doing.

Yay! I agree. Martha Stewart (one of my favorites) showed off the pierogis on Instagram ahead of the new episode so I knew she would be on, but it was still more fun than I expected.