Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 940725 times)

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1850 on: January 26, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »

• A public holiday at home with my DS - slept in and currently in my pjs wasting time

The breeze. It is magical

Learning for free - I am loving the Crash Course series and Khan Academy at the moment

Library books

Naps

Using cupboard leftovers (sunken cost food) to make creative and tasty meals and snacks.

My house with decent insulation. Not cheap, granted, but our previous house didn't have an insulated roof, and it was awful in summer. This one does, and it is 1000x more pleasant, so we don't need to use aircon often

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1851 on: January 26, 2020, 09:47:46 PM »
Library day, free seminars, playing cards with friends, working on the yard.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1852 on: January 26, 2020, 10:40:22 PM »
Having a brother I can talk to

Knowing that everyone in my immediate family is tucked safe and warm in their beds tonight, as the chill rolls in around our house

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1853 on: January 26, 2020, 10:47:14 PM »
Popcorn! $1/lb of kernels and we had... an eighth of a pound maybe? I always assumed making it "from scratch" must be really hard or something... Otherwise why would people buy it in those prepared bags? My husband's been bugging me to let him buy some kernels in bulk and I was like, ok, but you're in charge! I don't want to be part of this complicated project!

Well, I sure learned something new tonight!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1854 on: January 27, 2020, 12:50:00 AM »
Finding out about social differences around the world thanks to this forum   :)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1855 on: January 27, 2020, 05:21:44 AM »
The "Free Table" at our local Senior Center.  I take a class there and will be dropping off some extra items like clean, usable file folders; calendars; 3 new toothbrushes I'd gotten free from my dentist; a new package of glue (I bought the wrong kind but someone else could use it); small photo frames; newish magazines; etc.

A month ago I'd dropped off some small notepads with magnets for use on refrigerators and they were snapped up.  Gave me the idea to continue looking around the house for small usable items to donate, with the added bonus of decluttering.  win-win

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1856 on: January 27, 2020, 09:36:37 AM »
Time with friends or family, helping friends or family with chores.

Conquered a bit of clutter this weekend. Things are looking better bit by bit.

Our stuff just needs a home rather than creating visual clutter.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1857 on: January 27, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »
Popcorn! $1/lb of kernels and we had... an eighth of a pound maybe? I always assumed making it "from scratch" must be really hard or something... Otherwise why would people buy it in those prepared bags? My husband's been bugging me to let him buy some kernels in bulk and I was like, ok, but you're in charge! I don't want to be part of this complicated project!

Don't buy too much at a time.  Popcorn kernels go stale, while they may still pop, the popped kernels are not a big and fluffy if the kernels are stale. 

I love making my own popcorn, I always make it on a stove top with coconut oil.  Yum. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1858 on: January 27, 2020, 10:09:03 AM »
Procuring and installing the equivalent LED bulb each time another light burns out around the house.
Same here.  It's nonsensical but I keep hoping my old bulbs will burn out quicker so I can finally get rid of them all.
For what it's worth, they payoff for LED bulbs vs incandescent is so quick--about a penny per hour of "on" time--that unless you plan on moving in the next year, it's financially beneficial to swap out the incandescent bulbs now, even if they have life left in them.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #1859 on: January 27, 2020, 11:14:05 AM »

Don't buy too much at a time.  Popcorn kernels go stale, while they may still pop, the popped kernels are not a big and fluffy if the kernels are stale. 

I love making my own popcorn, I always make it on a stove top with coconut oil.  Yum.

Hahaha... I will admit I have a big bag of popcorn kernels I bought in bulk some time last year and when I tried popping them over the stove top (when they were new) they didn't all pop. Not sure what I was doing wrong because the pot was already hot so it should've worked.  I just had only a few popped kernels and the rest were just an oily hot slightly burnt mess. Now I never try to eat popcorn anymore and should probably just throw out those old kernels... D:

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1860 on: January 27, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »
^ You can also pop those kernels in a paper bag in the microwave if preferred.

And cheap thing that made me happy, sorghum will also pop like popcorn, and be about 1/4 the size. It's adorable and tastes the same!

rob in cal

• Bristles
« Reply #1861 on: January 27, 2020, 02:42:09 PM »
  Looking at photos of beautiful buildings on skyscraper city forum (the general photography thread).

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1862 on: January 28, 2020, 12:44:35 AM »

Hahaha... I will admit I have a big bag of popcorn kernels I bought in bulk some time last year and when I tried popping them over the stove top (when they were new) they didn't all pop. Not sure what I was doing wrong because the pot was already hot so it should've worked.  I just had only a few popped kernels and the rest were just an oily hot slightly burnt mess. Now I never try to eat popcorn anymore and should probably just throw out those old kernels... D:

Those unpopped kernels are called old maids. Popcorn pops because steam is generated inside. Some popcorn is just too dry to pop well and you get a lot of old maids. Shop around because some brands of kernels are definitely much better than others for poppability.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1863 on: January 28, 2020, 07:23:37 AM »

My dad always popped corn that way, so I've been doing it my whole life.  It's so cheap, easy, and taste better.

White popcorn is better than yellow.  For a yummy & healthy treat after popping spray the corn with Bragg's amino acids & dust with nutritional yeast (same as brewers yeast I think).  The Bragg's is like soy sauce & the yeast is like parmesan cheese. 

When you get really good at popping corn you'll learn to fill multiple large bowls using a normal size pan, by emptying the popped corn a couple of times while it's popping.  The ultimate goal is to get 100% popped kernels without scorching any.  Simple pleasures.  ;)

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1864 on: January 28, 2020, 08:54:29 AM »
Putting on a pair of jeans that fits just right.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1865 on: January 30, 2020, 11:47:29 PM »
Taking the bus downtown to do errands and walking between stops.

Lingering at things I enjoy with no time pressure.

My super warm and sturdy winter boots.

Finding items I need at the thrift store for pennies.

Good sleep.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1866 on: January 31, 2020, 02:28:48 AM »
A beach swim on a hot day, especially when most people are working:-)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1867 on: January 31, 2020, 10:48:26 AM »
Days off when everyone else is working can be really nice - less crowds, sometimes less traffic. Plus it feels like playing hookie even if it is a vacation day....

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1868 on: January 31, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
Fresh clean air and not having to wear a face mask when walking outside for fear of contracting a certain virus.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1869 on: February 02, 2020, 02:34:19 PM »
A bright, sunny warm day, more like April 2nd rather than February 2nd.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1870 on: February 03, 2020, 09:16:51 AM »
A bright, sunny warm day, more like April 2nd rather than February 2nd.

It's 35 degrees C here, with a hazy beige sky and an orange sun. Looks like the frickin apocalypse. Tomorrow is supposed to be 19 and raining. I can't wait!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1871 on: February 03, 2020, 12:12:37 PM »
We're getting a perfect spring day. Already a couple of my coworkers have gone home early. Even if I did go home, I have home projects to complete. Ugh! ;)

Another couple weeks of evenings and the projects will be done.

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #1872 on: February 03, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »

Those unpopped kernels are called old maids. Popcorn pops because steam is generated inside. Some popcorn is just too dry to pop well and you get a lot of old maids. Shop around because some brands of kernels are definitely much better than others for poppability.

"Old maids"?!  Heck on that last-century sexist biz.  Let's start calling them "Corny incels" instead. :D 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1873 on: February 04, 2020, 05:32:19 AM »

You want even easier? Keep an eye out for an air popper when you're out thrifting. The secret is to let it preheat before adding kernels. Bonus is the fragrant warmth it adds to your kitchen on a cold day. And Orville Redenbacher's is worth the premium, IMO.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1874 on: February 04, 2020, 06:28:13 AM »

You want even easier? Keep an eye out for an air popper when you're out thrifting. The secret is to let it preheat before adding kernels. Bonus is the fragrant warmth it adds to your kitchen on a cold day. And Orville Redenbacher's is worth the premium, IMO.

Or a microwave popper -- super cheap and easy.  Buy the popcorn in bulk and put in a quarter of a cup.  We've been doing it that way for a long time. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1875 on: February 04, 2020, 06:50:33 AM »

Or a microwave popper -- super cheap and easy.  Buy the popcorn in bulk and put in a quarter of a cup.  We've been doing it that way for a long time.
Hahaha-ouch! About six months ago, I let myself be talked into trying something called "Mighty Fix". I bought one of these, because the casita in the Desert only has a microwave. It arrived the day after we left for there, right before Christmas. I put it "somewhere" for safekeeping and haven't seen it since.

FWIW, I let it be the last straw and cancelled MF. Good riddance. Oh well, I suppose it's good to be reminded every score of years or so why I dislike subscription services. <---- I know that's slightly off topic, but it's a PSA just in case any of you are considering MF. Unless you're just starting out and have nothing, it's overpriced crap you can source elsewhere for less if you really need a new whatzit. Hint: you probably don't.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1876 on: February 04, 2020, 01:47:54 PM »
Went to the store. The small size of a particular item was marked down from $4.99 to $2.99. The large size was not but I wanted the large. Bought two small sizes. Cheaper than the large size. No coupon necessary. Just being in the right place at the right time. My inner debate was whether to go back and buy all of the smalls but didn't want to be greedy.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1877 on: February 05, 2020, 06:37:24 AM »
Lots of different birds on the feeding tray.
Lots of different animals tracks in the snow during our ski trip.
Seeing two deers.
Having a ski trip with a beautiful thin sun and fresh snow on the trees and everywhere.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1878 on: February 05, 2020, 02:52:18 PM »
Animal watching is so much fun...

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1879 on: February 05, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
Watching the snow falling in the light from the streetlight before the sun comes up, from the window so I'm nice and warm.
Then bundling up and taking my dog out to frolic in the new fluffy snow

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1880 on: February 05, 2020, 08:11:21 PM »
* Coming into a snug, well-insulated home after a long stretch outside in chilly weather

* fuzzy slippers

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1881 on: February 06, 2020, 01:09:47 AM »
Finding a HUGE, slightly more than a foot long, pure white feather on the beach ON MY BIRTHDAY! It's a present from the universe. I also found a piece of driftwood that is clearly a wand. Does anyone know how to charge it?

Also got given a fabulous birthday cake, and slices of the leftover are now in the freezer for later celebration.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1882 on: February 07, 2020, 02:00:14 AM »
Finding a HUGE, slightly more than a foot long, pure white feather on the beach ON MY BIRTHDAY! It's a present from the universe. I also found a piece of driftwood that is clearly a wand. Does anyone know how to charge it?

Also got given a fabulous birthday cake, and slices of the leftover are now in the freezer for later celebration.

Maybe you need to write down a spell with your feather.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1883 on: February 07, 2020, 06:32:16 AM »

Apparently some chap named Ollivander can help you. Once you’re all set, remember that the correct pronunciation is “Wingardium Levi-OH-sa.” ;-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1884 on: February 07, 2020, 06:33:33 AM »
We woke up to a fresh blanket of snow and big fat snowflakes swirling around. Neither of us has to go out today. I’m currently enjoying a hot cup of coffee while watching the snowfall.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1885 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:02 AM »
Home grown tomatoes in February!  I still have quite a few frozen and canned from my garden last year, and I love making recipes with them.  Delicious!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1886 on: February 07, 2020, 05:27:58 PM »

Apparently some chap named Ollivander can help you. Once you’re all set, remember that the correct pronunciation is “Wingardium Levi-OH-sa.” ;-)

Yeah, I need some different spells. I have people to smite.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1887 on: February 07, 2020, 05:29:40 PM »

Maybe you need to write down a spell with your feather.

The quill part is so large it would easily fit a pen inside, not just the pen inner bit. Not sure I want to alter such a cool feather though.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1888 on: February 07, 2020, 05:31:33 PM »
We woke up to a fresh blanket of snow and big fat snowflakes swirling around. Neither of us has to go out today. I’m currently enjoying a hot cup of coffee while watching the snowfall.

That sounds amazing. Snow is my very favourite weather but it's so rare here in Chch NZ. We might get an inch or two every few years. You're so lucky.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1889 on: February 08, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »

That sounds amazing. Snow is my very favourite weather but it's so rare here in Chch NZ. We might get an inch or two every few years. You're so lucky.

It really is beautiful, especially now that I don’t have to commute in it. Every year about this time, the cold and dark start getting to me and I fantasize about moving somewhere with warmer winters. Honestly, though, I would miss the distinct seasons. They’re all beautiful and special.

Today, I’m enjoying relatively inexpensive and very good avocados. I know the avocados go on sale to capitalize on Super Bowl parties, but I hope they stick around in the markets for a bit longer. It’s a nice treat in the dead of winter.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1890 on: February 08, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
Instructional videos on youtube.

Can basically learn anything on youtube these days. Been watching a lot of climbing and skiing instructional videos and then I implement them. Same with exercises and using proper form.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1891 on: February 09, 2020, 08:14:30 AM »
I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but: nice bed sheets.

I prefer a crisp percale or sateen weave (depends on the manufacturer) with long-staple cotton like supima, around 500 thread count (more is not necessarily better).  I've been able to find a nice set of sheets like this for around $50 on Amazon.

And then there's the fit.  Fitted sheets that are too small are irritating to put on the bed.  And too large looks and feels sloppy.  There's nothing like a really nice fitted sheet that fits the mattress perfectly.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1892 on: February 09, 2020, 05:54:55 PM »
I found a small packet of goat cheese in my fridge that I forgot I had purchased. The sell by date is still two months away. My dinner salad now has goat cheese on it, and I am very happy.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1893 on: February 09, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »
Cooking something from scratch. Just made maple glazed pork roast and the sauce for Chile verde.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1894 on: February 09, 2020, 08:52:31 PM »
Chocolate waffles made from Devils Food cake mix.   A $2 box makes a dozen.  :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1895 on: February 10, 2020, 02:40:53 AM »
Watching the full moon rise last night.  Wow!

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1896 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:57 AM »
Finding (forgotten) frozen bananas and making a tasty smoothie to go along with some homemade granola.

Drinking coffee on the couch and watching the day begin outside. A frosty clear morning with no need to rush or get anywhere.

Feeling better from a cold, but still having days off from work.

Receiving cute updates from my sister about my nephews antics (2.5 years old)

The simple act of drawing. Close observation and how it reveals new things.

Audiobooks from the library. Cleaning the house while hearing a good story :)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:50:52 AM by Serendip »

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #1897 on: February 10, 2020, 12:49:55 PM »

I prefer a crisp percale or sateen weave (depends on the manufacturer) with long-staple cotton like supima, around 500 thread count (more is not necessarily better).  I've been able to find a nice set of sheets like this for around $50 on Amazon.

And then there's the fit.  Fitted sheets that are too small are irritating to put on the bed.  And too large looks and feels sloppy.  There's nothing like a really nice fitted sheet that fits the mattress perfectly.

If it's winter where you are, get yourself some flannel sheets. I just had to buy a new set and they were like $35 off Amazon. Sooooo soft and it's lovely not sliding into cold sheets in the winter.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1898 on: February 10, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »

If it's winter where you are, get yourself some flannel sheets. I just had to buy a new set and they were like $35 off Amazon. Sooooo soft and it's lovely not sliding into cold sheets in the winter.

Love, love, love flannel sheets in cold weather.  My husband claims they are scratchy, but I find them soft - just not as *smooth* obviously, because there is texture there. 

My cheap thing is the high after a tough workout.  I used to hate working out so much, even though I felt pretty good afterwards.  It was like classical conditioning didn't work on me or something - I kept overeating till I was painfully full, but didn't do things that made me feel good?  It took a while, but I finally do things that make me feel good and I very rarely eat so much that I am in pain.  I am grateful for this reversal of my poles because, apparently, I am now more aligned with what actually *is* good for me.  Right now, I have that feeling like my lungs have been scrubbed out nice and deep and clean, because I worked them so hard.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1899 on: February 10, 2020, 02:24:08 PM »

Hah, I just recently ditched our flannel sheets for a smoother sateen weave.  I'm in a cold climate and our thermostat is set to 55 at night.  But I sleep fairly hot, and our mattress topper made it even worse.  The flannel was killing me!