Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938954 times)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1800 on: January 04, 2020, 01:31:51 PM »
Taking the retirement dog for a walk. Although I’m not retired.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1801 on: January 05, 2020, 11:59:42 AM »
We had three red squirrels in and around the tree with a bird feeding device in it, that is also suitable for squirrels. They were chasing each other around the tree trunk several times. Very amusing to watch from close by behind the window.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1802 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:31 AM »
Diced dried apricots in my oatmeal. They are so much tastier and less cloying than raisins.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1803 on: January 08, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
Diced dried apricots in my oatmeal. They are so much tastier and less cloying than raisins.
Expanding my vocabulary.  I hadn't run into "cloying" before!

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #1804 on: January 08, 2020, 08:51:10 AM »

watching youtube videos

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1805 on: January 08, 2020, 11:07:10 AM »
I made a disk with seaweed, which tasted good. It is stuff we collected ourselves, so free and natural food.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1806 on: January 08, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »
Vegetarian chili. I was skeptical. Was really good. DW is such a great cook.

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #1807 on: January 09, 2020, 10:13:18 PM »
Living like a POW 18 hour days sleeping on the mat--today I didn't have time to make a sandwich so I actually took the bit of chicken wrapped in saran and put it in my coat pocket and grabbed the loaf of bread on the way out. Gently unwrapped it and took a couple bites every couple hours.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1808 on: January 09, 2020, 10:27:04 PM »
Living like a POW 18 hour days sleeping on the mat--today I didn't have time to make a sandwich so I actually took the bit of chicken wrapped in saran and put it in my coat pocket and grabbed the loaf of bread on the way out. Gently unwrapped it and took a couple bites every couple hours.

I'm so confused - are you sleeping for 18 hours on a mat, or doing something else (being imprisoned?) for 18 hours and sleeping for the other 6 on a mat?  And which part (the imprisonment, the sleeping on the mat or the nibbles at bits of chicken and dry bread) is the part that makes you happy?  At least I can understand that none of those things seem to cost a lot, so there's that.

For me, I bought a $10 hot water bottle.  I've been so cold for so long.  I'm just dreaming about all the ways I will use it when it arrives.  In my bed before getting in.  In my lap/at my feet while work/relaxing at home.  Maybe even tucked into my house-jacket to really heat me up in my core?  Such sweet dreams of warmth!  I think it's going to solve all my problems.  Maybe even other people's problems. I hope I'm not setting my expectations too high.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #1809 on: January 10, 2020, 08:36:28 AM »
Actually *worked* out in the yard and vegetable garden, prepping for spring plantings...

...It's January....I live in the "frozen tundra of the North"....it was 50 degrees F with sunshine...

Cheers!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1810 on: January 10, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
Actually *worked* out in the yard and vegetable garden, prepping for spring plantings...

...It's January....I live in the "frozen tundra of the North"....it was 50 degrees F with sunshine...

Cheers!

Our highest temperature today with sunny weather was - 15 celsius. I stayed mostly inside. DH went for a walk to watch sunset. Now we watch nice TV on a non commercial channel.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #1811 on: January 10, 2020, 03:02:57 PM »
For me, I bought a $10 hot water bottle.  I've been so cold for so long.  I'm just dreaming about all the ways I will use it when it arrives.  In my bed before getting in.  In my lap/at my feet while work/relaxing at home.  Maybe even tucked into my house-jacket to really heat me up in my core?  Such sweet dreams of warmth!  I think it's going to solve all my problems.  Maybe even other people's problems. I hope I'm not setting my expectations too high.

You are not! Thank you for reminding me of my own cheap ($15?) water bottle I bought 2 winters ago. One of the best cheap purchases ever. If you remember, put it in the bed 30 minutes before you do and move it again in 15 minutes. You can warm your foot area and the top area and slide it around to take the chill off the sheets. It is also great tucked into the small of your back while sitting.

Pro tips here: https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Hot%20water%20bottles%20safety%20alert.pdf I had not known you can burn yourself if you leave it in place too long - we scooch it down below our feet at night so nobody gets burned, but it still gives off its heat.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1812 on: January 10, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »

You are not! Thank you for reminding me of my own cheap ($15?) water bottle I bought 2 winters ago. One of the best cheap purchases ever. If you remember, put it in the bed 30 minutes before you do and move it again in 15 minutes. You can warm your foot area and the top area and slide it around to take the chill off the sheets. It is also great tucked into the small of your back while sitting.

Pro tips here: https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Hot%20water%20bottles%20safety%20alert.pdf I had not known you can burn yourself if you leave it in place too long - we scooch it down below our feet at night so nobody gets burned, but it still gives off its heat.

Yay, good to hear and thanks for the safety tips!

Another thing that makes me happy that is not cheap, but FREE is working on my library hold list. I just get excited even thinking about all the books I will look up, choose between audio and electronic, put on hold, pause the hold for x amount of time to ensure proper sequencing of arrivals. It's a fun game and the prize at the end is the email I get notifying me a book is ready, about which I already posted here previously!

I actually like doing all this possibly more than I enjoy reading the books (except for maybe the very best ones). I feel like this should tell me something about my interests and values upon which I can capitalize in my growing free time, but I've not quite achieved full understanding. In the meantime, off I go to play around on the library portal!

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #1813 on: January 10, 2020, 09:07:21 PM »

I'm so confused - are you sleeping for 18 hours on a mat, or doing something else (being imprisoned?) for 18 hours and sleeping for the other 6 on a mat?  And which part (the imprisonment, the sleeping on the mat or the nibbles at bits of chicken and dry bread) is the part that makes you happy?  At least I can understand that none of those things seem to cost a lot, so there's that.

Ha! Yes working 18 hour days. Congrats on the water bottle. I'll be on the alert for the butterfly effect.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1814 on: January 10, 2020, 10:33:27 PM »
Coming home with a bag of books and movies from our public library.

Streaming Masterpiece Theatre on the PBS app.

Store brand Mac and cheese.

Nesting at home during snowstorms and doing relaxing tasks like cooking beans and baking bread.

Listening to music from around the world on our Sonos App.

Expressing gratitude.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1815 on: January 10, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
The prospect of not needing to drive anywhere for the next 3 days, as we’re under a flood watch (forecast is for 2-3” of rain) and we live just north of a flood plain.

Also, not having a basement. It’s at least the fourth time in 5 years that I’ve been grateful for that, as major floods are increasingly common.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1816 on: January 11, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
That random warm winter day. Which leads to...

Watching the wind make the trees dance and listening to that wind in those trees. Which leads to...

Watching the rains move in from the west. The sky changes, paints the fields with ever changing colors - mostly orange and gold. Then the sky turns dark.

Then we can't see the furthermost tree line a couple of miles away.

Then we can't see the field to the west.

Then we can't see the field across the road at the end of our property.

Then we can't see the end of our yard.

And then the rain and stormy winds are upon us and we retreat to watch the show through the windows.

Our cat wants in, then the dog, and we all settle down to relax and DW and I have leftovers for lunch. Instant Pot roast and veggies from last night.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1817 on: January 11, 2020, 10:41:37 AM »
Oh - and cheap/easy home projects detailed out for free on various websites like:

https://www.honeybearlane.com/

https://www.ana-white.com/blog/2015/02/project-roundup-spring-ahead-and-organize-your-garage

The alternative is buying some sort of expensive pressboard prefab solution when real, chunky wood will last forever. Or hiring it out and that's not in the budget.

hounton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1818 on: January 11, 2020, 07:58:49 PM »
Explaining the “OK Boomer” phenomenon to my boomer mom and watching her crack up laughing.

Watching my mom explain to my confused teenage children that she is actually older than the boomers.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1819 on: January 12, 2020, 09:43:07 AM »
Turning a bunch of leftover ham that I'm tired of dealing with in other dishes into one of my favorite soups - split pea with ham. Second batch is slow cooking now and I'll be portioning and freezing for many meals to come.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1820 on: January 12, 2020, 10:31:53 AM »
Home made guacamole.

And I'm sure i've posted this before, but I still get a kick seeing this kid really enjoying playing her drums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkw57uGnSrs

This is why I started playing music myself in my teens -.. IT'S FUN!  But I never attacked a snare drum with that level of energy... :) 

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1821 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »
Cloth napkins that I purchased at estate sales for very little -- we don't need to fuss with paper napkins for messy foods and it's a tiny added bit of fanciness in our day

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #1822 on: January 17, 2020, 08:45:02 AM »
Procuring and installing the equivalent LED bulb each time another light burns out around the house.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1823 on: January 18, 2020, 08:12:53 AM »
Staying at home and vegging out in a warm, dry, quiet apartment.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1824 on: January 18, 2020, 08:17:09 AM »

Yes. We received several inches of snow last night, and I don’t have to go anywhere today. It’s the best.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1825 on: January 18, 2020, 08:37:37 AM »

Yes. We received several inches of snow last night, and I don’t have to go anywhere today. It’s the best.

Same here!  I was supposed to have friends over today, so I even have a pan of burritos ready to go in the oven.  Now if I could just tear myself away from my laptop, I could go sew all day!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1826 on: January 18, 2020, 08:51:18 AM »
Pencils make me happy.  Old school Ticonderoga #2s, freshly sharpened.  They look good, smell good, and sound good when they click together.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1827 on: January 18, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
I love this thread, actually, and it brings me so much joy and is free.

I also like making coffee at my house.  I've worked on upgrading my equipment and skills over the years, and now I feel it tastes pretty comparable to coffee out.  I like doing it myself, and I like relaxing in my own space.  I can't believe I spent so much money on coffees out so much.  At some point it became a habit, and I tricked myself into thinking it was a reward, but when I thought about it, it was really just a psychological crutch where I felt I would "treat" myself to try to avoid stress.  It doesn't make sense, because pouring caffeine in my body has rarely worked to reduce stress, and I like coffee the most when I am relaxed.

I also like lazy mornings around the house AFTER a hard, productive week where I hit my work and personal goals.  What a nice reward, and then I'll be geared up to go work hard again after I reset. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1828 on: January 18, 2020, 10:13:21 AM »

Same here!  I was supposed to have friends over today, so I even have a pan of burritos ready to go in the oven.  Now if I could just tear myself away from my laptop, I could go sew all day!

I have a crock pot meal planned so I'm going to start that soon, finish my work (maybe 3 more hours worth), and spend the rest of the day knitting.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1829 on: January 18, 2020, 10:22:03 AM »
Of late it's been cooking on cast iron pans.  We have some that my wife inherited and I've been making much more use of them.  After scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing on a so-called nonstick pan, I decided that I could cook on cast iron for this much aggravation.  As it turns out, cast iron isn't that aggravating.  And it takes more skill to cook with it. 

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #1830 on: January 18, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
Listening to the owls outside my house at night. Posting to iNaturalist and learning about all of the plants, animals, insects, etc living around me.  Watching nature there is something new every day!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1831 on: January 18, 2020, 04:32:48 PM »
Sawdust... Progress generate sawdust. Interesting projects generate sawdust.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #1832 on: January 18, 2020, 07:32:05 PM »
After a 4 hour bike ride, sitting in a recliner with my feet up, a mug of chamomile tea, and the MMM forum.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1833 on: January 19, 2020, 07:30:31 PM »
After a 4 hour bike ride, sitting in a recliner with my feet up, a mug of chamomile tea, and the MMM forum.

Hour long "walk" (read half-run) with husky, similarly sitting feet up with a coffee.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1834 on: January 19, 2020, 07:33:30 PM »
Having a door between me and the office workers at my current temp job, so I can do jumping jacks and squats when I get bored. Offsets the delicious home made cin amon scrolls someone brought in!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1835 on: January 20, 2020, 06:04:17 AM »

I have a crock pot meal planned so I'm going to start that soon, finish my work (maybe 3 more hours worth), and spend the rest of the day knitting.

I spent an afternoon crocheting.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1836 on: January 21, 2020, 09:24:43 PM »

Hot water bottle just as awesome as I had hoped!  No more cold feet in bed.  A nice warm spot waiting for me.  I've used it in the evenings on my lap or at my feet.  The heat lasts forever.  All life problems solved!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1837 on: January 22, 2020, 06:05:55 PM »
Spent the afternoon teaching a friend how to install and use free Mint Linux KDE. Its easy to use but different names for different features than Windows. Also I use some of the time to show off some of the "wow" software available for free.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #1838 on: January 22, 2020, 09:35:47 PM »
Procuring and installing the equivalent LED bulb each time another light burns out around the house.
Same here.  It's nonsensical but I keep hoping my old bulbs will burn out quicker so I can finally get rid of them all.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1839 on: January 22, 2020, 11:45:48 PM »
Rain, rain, rain. Blissful, soaking rain. On tinder-dry SW Victoria.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #1840 on: January 22, 2020, 11:47:17 PM »
Rain, rain, rain. Blissful, soaking rain. On tinder-dry SW Victoria.

That is good news. You guys need all the rain you can get.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1841 on: January 23, 2020, 02:16:22 AM »
Yesterday I saw a squirrel on Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1842 on: January 23, 2020, 08:38:33 PM »
Slicing up our homegrown turmeric for use in a dish feels very rewarding.

Tidying up a little corner of our street that has no owner unless you count CalTrans. Swept up some broken glass today and it looks much better.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1843 on: January 23, 2020, 08:41:47 PM »
Choir rehearsal. Madrigals are fun.

Also, rediscovering a gorgeous choral work via classical music radio and learning that I probably won't have to twist my choir director's arm at all to have it included in the summer program this year or next.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1844 on: January 24, 2020, 03:16:07 AM »
Choir rehearsal. Madrigals are fun.

Yes they are!

My kids' choir is doing a raga this semester.  Whuuttt?  Very challenging and interesting.  The meter is absolutely wild, and there are many notes that produce higher "ghost tones."   

BenVella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1845 on: January 24, 2020, 07:03:44 AM »
Reading this thread puts my mind at ease and my soul finds peace.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1846 on: January 25, 2020, 03:21:24 AM »
Eating the delicious summer fruit from my own trees: currently peaches and apricots, with plums and nectarines almost ripe. This is the first year I have had excess,  and gave some away.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1847 on: January 25, 2020, 08:49:50 AM »
My wife made pancakes today.  I made coffee.  Now it's 11am and I am still in pajamas.  I love lazy Saturdays. 

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #1848 on: January 25, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »
A leisurely morning bike ride along the river path to get to a meetup with the local Mustachians!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1849 on: January 25, 2020, 06:08:07 PM »
My wife made pancakes today.  I made coffee.  Now it's 11am and I am still in pajamas.  I love lazy Saturdays.

+1 for pancakes! It’s my first time frying them using coconut oil, and we were quite pleased with the result.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!