Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939085 times)

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1750 on: December 15, 2019, 06:40:29 AM »
Linea,
I love that idea of being "befriended" with small things.

Mine is going to the birthday party for my one year old granddaughter yesterday.  A simple affair with balloons, homemade cake and cupcakes, and a smiling baby girl surrounded with loving relatives. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1751 on: December 15, 2019, 08:27:48 AM »
Friends who open their lovely homes for holiday parties. I am exhausted today but had so much fun yesterday at two parties with friends from different volunteer circles.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1752 on: December 15, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
Linea,
I love that idea of being "befriended" with small things.

Mine is going to the birthday party for my one year old granddaughter yesterday.  A simple affair with balloons, homemade cake and cupcakes, and a smiling baby girl surrounded with loving relatives.

I love first birthday parties. The reaction of the guest of honor to his or her first piece of cake is priceless.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1753 on: December 15, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »
Baking a coffee cake for tomorrow's holiday brunch, using my mom's recipe (which I suspect she got from her grandfather, a professional baker). Again, my house smells amazing.

Well now we all want you to share this recipe with the class!

Haha, later this week when I have time to type it out! I'm about to leave for the brunch, and this evening I'm in a holiday concert which has an after-party. Then there's another holiday party later tonight. It's seriously the holiday gauntlet.

Cheap happy thing today: the prospect of a quiet day tomorrow. :-)

Eagerly awaiting the recipe as well! Sounds delicious.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1754 on: December 15, 2019, 09:10:14 AM »
That reminds me, I need to set up a bird feeder here.  We just moved here last Spring.  It's on the water, so there are plenty of larger birds around, but I need to invite the sweet little song birds. 

One of the large bird species we happen to have here are Turkey Vultures.  I've always appreciated the clean-up work they do, but never thought I'd enjoy watching them.  They roost somewhere nearby, so there are often dozens of them soaring like eagles over the water.  Yesterday was quite breezy and they were putting on quite a performance.  (They look a lot less "buzzard-like on windy days.  ;) )

We also have quite a few Ospry.  One day while feeding the fish I heard a large splash behind me.  I turned to see what it was and saw an Ospry had dived into the water to catch some breakfast.  But he didn't emerge like they usually do.  He seemed stuck in the water, like a duck flapping on the surface.  I thought he may have been injured by the impact.  As I watched he kept flapping his wings and swimming towards the shore, about 100' away.  When he finally reached the shore I saw that he had a huge fish in one of his talons.  It was probably 14-15" long and much too heavy for the Ospry to fly with, so he dragged it to shore instead of releasing his prize.  The bird rested for about 5 minutes at the waters edge, grasping the fish by its tail.  After catching his breath, he pulled the fish further away from the water and then enjoyed the feast. 

Another "bird" that we enjoy watching are the Bats around sunset as they chase mosquitoes for dinner.  They are amazing fliers.  I think we might have two different species of them here, because there are a few that are larger than the others.  We've always talked about putting up a Bat house, maybe this will be the year. 

I'll have to tell about all the other interesting critters we have.  They are all little gifts from nature. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1755 on: December 16, 2019, 06:11:12 AM »
“A Charlie Brown Christmas” is available for free viewing on the ABC app.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #1756 on: December 16, 2019, 07:27:29 AM »
Hanging with my cousins - they are so funny as adults.  We laughed so much.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1757 on: December 16, 2019, 08:34:31 AM »
Having a nice CC ski trip on my first FIRE Monday. This time not so many other people like in the weekends, only some persioners.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #1758 on: December 16, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
Congrats, Linea, on your first FIRE Monday! It feels good, doesn’t it?

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1759 on: December 16, 2019, 12:09:27 PM »
I have some to add to the list. They all are in the category of cheap junk food that makes me happy.

1. McDonald's ice cream cones. As long as the ice cream machine is working, this is the best treat for the money available, in my opinion. Especially when they run their $.79 cent cone bargain. But even when they're not on sale, I think they're $1.29.

2. Costco cheeseburger. I didn't notice they started doing these until about six months ago. Now, you can get a cheaper cheeseburger, but I don't think you can get a BETTER cheeseburger for the money. Unless you live somewhere that has In N Out. Which we don't.

3. Box cake mix when they go on sale for $1. Makes enough cupcakes for my whole homeroom and I can dress it up with whatever icing I'm trying to use up from a more ambitious baking project. I just became the hero homeroom teacher and it cost me ~$3 to feed the whole class.

So I'm clearly not a person who worries overmuch about what I eat...but those things ARE cheap and they DO make me happy.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1760 on: December 16, 2019, 01:36:04 PM »
I bought some granola for breakfast and to use up a bunch of plain yogurt I had from another recipe, and something that is making me disproportionately happy is toasting the granola on the stovetop briefly before mixing it with the yogurt.  I could be more mustachian and make my own granola, of course, and I probably would if granola made me really happy, because then it would also be cheaper!  But, I'm only an occasional granola person and this discovery of toasting a commercially-made cereal before eating it has made my breakfasts so exciting the last few days!

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1761 on: December 17, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »
The first shower after I clean the bathroom, when everything is smooth and sparkly and the air is extra fresh.

BECABECA

• Bristles
  • Retired since July 2017, not bored yet!
« Reply #1762 on: December 17, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »
Emptying my dishwasher full of Corelle plates and bowls. They’re basically unbreakable and so lightweight. I’ve lived with a dishwasher for the last 10 years and all Corelle dishes for the last 5 years, but I still smile in appreciation every time I empty the dishwasher nowadays.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1763 on: December 17, 2019, 02:17:40 PM »
Sitting on our lanai, looking out towards the ocean.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1764 on: December 18, 2019, 07:04:18 AM »
Emptying my dishwasher full of Corelle plates and bowls. They’re basically unbreakable and so lightweight. I’ve lived with a dishwasher for the last 10 years and all Corelle dishes for the last 5 years, but I still smile in appreciation every time I empty the dishwasher nowadays.

We just got Corelle dishes a few weeks ago, and replaced our broken dishwasher last week, and the last few days have been excellent :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1765 on: December 18, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
Today we had nice tempered sunlight on a icy/snowy landscape. I could watch it both from home and on my local walk.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1766 on: December 18, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »
Another Correlle fan. My family grew up using Correlle. At some point in last 10 years switched out our mismatched thrift store dishes for correlle and I love it.

I totally ditto: watching the birds, going for a walk and just being outside in the fresh air. Sleeping in clean sheets and having a clean house in general (I've been cleaning/decluttering a little every day since Saturday, and so enjoying a less cluttered more clean house). Exercising with my daughter at the Y.

Something I look forward to, is during the Christmas season you can find Aplets and Cotlets (or sometimes Fruit Delight or Turkish Delight) at the Dollar general for $3 a box!
The manufacturer sells them for $12 a box. https://www.libertyorchards.com/

and my kids love Piroulines, so I get those at the dollar store as well for christmas stockings 1 or $3 a tin depending on the size. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 11:36:38 AM by partgypsy »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1767 on: December 18, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
The local library is awesome!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1768 on: December 18, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »
The local thrift store. We got Christmas decorations and clothing. And some of the items were 75% off!

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #1769 on: December 18, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »

We just got Corelle dishes a few weeks ago, and replaced our broken dishwasher last week, and the last few days have been excellent :)

Ha, awesome!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1770 on: December 18, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
The John Rutter carol, What Sweeter Music.

I was invited to sing with a dear friend's church choir on Christmas Eve, and this is one of the pieces they've selected. I first performed it 25 years ago with my high school choir and have loved it ever since.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1771 on: December 22, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
This is the month of choral music. All of it makes me happy.

Last night: performed in a concert with the small choir that I and several friends founded a few years ago. We have a new director this year and are better than ever.

Tonight: got to sit on the other side and watch/hear several friends in a glorious Lessons and Carols service.

Both audiences were so full of friends that they felt almost like family parties.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1772 on: December 22, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
The sound of rain on the aluminum awning over our back door

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1773 on: December 23, 2019, 08:03:43 AM »
Tamales.

BECABECA

• Bristles
« Reply #1774 on: December 23, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »
Watching a dog bark in his sleep. It’s so ridiculous, makes me laugh every time (although very quietly, so as not to end the hilarious spectacle prematurely).

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1775 on: December 23, 2019, 10:34:45 PM »
The first palm tree I see when I exit the airport in Tampa.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1776 on: December 25, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
My grandma's handwritten recipes and the Motown Christmas album.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1777 on: December 25, 2019, 01:29:57 PM »
Another Corelle fan!  I got a set for 16 at an estate sale and donated all my stoneware and all those little Corelle coffee cups.
I should have done it years ago.  My daughter took the little plates out of the cabinet yesterday and said, "These are so pretty."
It's the old blue floral print on white.  Plus twice as many take up 1/2 the space.

$20 for 16 dinner plates, 16 dessert plates, and 16 bowls.

Tardis81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1778 on: December 25, 2019, 01:40:44 PM »
Ikea OFTAST plates (similar to Corelle, and two-three times cheaper)

A good Hidden Object game. A good PC game that I’ll enjoy (forever grateful for Terraria!)

Babbel subscription

Hobby supplies that may be not cheap at the point of sale but will last a long time like a Mirabilia cross stitch kit that takes me a year to complete

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1779 on: December 25, 2019, 01:44:38 PM »
I really like my Fiestaware dishes, but they're heavy. Corelle is so nice and lightweight.

Our next set of dishes will probably be Corelle, although the Fiestaware seems fairly indestructible so it might be a while.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1780 on: December 25, 2019, 04:49:30 PM »
Darning my socks makes me happy!  It sounds difficult and old school, but is just a weirdly specific word for something that is super simple.  Sadly, socks are so cheap that nobody cares much to fix them and, being socks, they probably should be thrown out at some point...  Darn them

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1781 on: December 27, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
The sound of rain on the aluminum awning over our back door

I like the muted thrum  of rain hitting the metal roof on my house.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:02:05 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1782 on: December 27, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »

Corelle is terrific!

I was given some used plates that are 40-years old that still looked brand new.

If possible, if the ceramicists can do it, I'd like Corelle that's glassy clear.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1783 on: December 27, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »
Congrats, Linea, on your first FIRE Monday!

YES!

YES!

YES!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #1784 on: December 27, 2019, 10:14:07 AM »

Taking a shower with solar heated water

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1785 on: December 27, 2019, 10:16:59 AM »
Yesterday I got a 2020 calendar from my local hardware store.

It has beautiful pics of animals.

It was free which is better than cheap.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1786 on: December 27, 2019, 11:08:52 PM »
Living in a big city with not one but two massive library systems, which have a combined 15+ million items in circulation *and* offer the opportunity to borrow and read ebooks right through my smartphone

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #1787 on: December 30, 2019, 01:10:36 PM »

Walking

Cycling

Daydreaming

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1788 on: December 30, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
Living in a big city with not one but two massive library systems, which have a combined 15+ million items in circulation *and* offer the opportunity to borrow and read ebooks right through my smartphone

your post inspired me. I downloaded Libby app from my local library website and have now listened to 5 agatha christies while making art :)
yay!

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1789 on: December 30, 2019, 04:46:59 PM »

your post inspired me. I downloaded Libby app from my local library website and have now listened to 5 agatha christies while making art :)
yay!

Oh I'm thrilled. Enjoy!!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1790 on: December 31, 2019, 10:45:43 PM »
Other people's cast offs make me happy. It's amazing what people throw away.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1791 on: January 01, 2020, 12:02:36 AM »
Watched our dog sniff her way around the yard today.

Free old movie reruns. A small dose of old fashioned suspended reality. Tonight watched "White Christmas". Last week watched "Wonderful Life".

Vacuumed out the car. A clean car is nice.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1792 on: January 01, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »
Cracking open a jar of tasty goodness from my cold cellar.   Salsa verde was fantastic.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1793 on: January 01, 2020, 09:19:04 AM »
Finding recipes for foods I've never even imagined. This week, Haitian Sos Pwa Nwa (basically, gravy made from beans!).

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1794 on: January 01, 2020, 01:28:58 PM »
Oatmeal cooked on the stove. It is so much better than oatmeal from the microwave.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1795 on: January 01, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
Sunshine reflecting off the snow

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1796 on: January 01, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
Had leftover slightly chewy raw carrot sticks from NYE. Had leftover Chicken Adobo sauce from supper. Cooked carrot sticks in adobo sauce. Big yes. Gonna make that deliberately in the future.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1797 on: January 04, 2020, 11:58:26 AM »
A sunny day in the winter.

My first well tasting sourdough bread.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1798 on: January 04, 2020, 12:47:05 PM »
Explaining the “OK Boomer” phenomenon to my boomer mom and watching her crack up laughing.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1799 on: January 04, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »
Last night we got two inches of beautiful wet snow, and the temperatures today were precisely perfect for building snowmen.  I took our two youngest out and we built three snowmen with the neighbor kids.