Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939073 times)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1700 on: November 29, 2019, 07:53:59 AM »
A really good choir rehearsal.

Thank you, OtherJen, for being in a choir.

I love going to free college recitals by sopranos and mezzosopranos, singing 19th century art songs, with just a piano accompaniment.  Beautiful, life-affirming,
mindblowing, and all free !!   

If there is a choir performing free, I go to those too.
I started going to a local barbershop chorus about a year ago.  My schedule keeps me from going more than about once per month, but I enjoy it when I get to go.

Caught a local high school choir performing at a church. They had a soprano soloist for one song, accompanied by piano. Strong, clear, firm beautiful voice, even with the high notes, which is not always the case.   

I wrestled with whether or not to compliment the soprano afterwards. I did. She said she was hoping to make a living singing, after graduating from a 4 year music school. I told her I thought she would be a success due to her beautiful voice.

All the choir love on this thread makes me happy!  I'm with you.  Our two highschoolers are both in choirs.  Their choirs perform sometimes alone and sometimes with various adult choirs/orchestras around the area for a big holiday concert or special event.  I love their performances.  And what a great activity for people of all ages -- meeting up with like minded folks to make beautiful music together.

Please encourage them to keep singing after high school! My family wanted me to give it up when I went to college so that I could focus solely on "real" academics. Turns out that the 1-credit choir courses both filled an arts requirement and were essential to my sanity. I'm about to start my 27th year of choral singing, and it's amazing how much more I learn each year.

I will -- promise!  They've been singing since first grade, and hopefully will continue their whole lives.
I wish I was in a choir.  My DD is and will be performing with the local concert band.  They are doing the Hallelujah chorus this year.  The best part is the friends that she is making in this group. 

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1701 on: November 30, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
Cardio Strength training class at my local gym.  The instructur kept saying "Wheee!" during hard reps.  Made me smile & giggle so I forgot how hard I was working.  Now I'm home, showered, sitting by a warm fire with a cuppa tea and feeling amazing.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1702 on: December 01, 2019, 04:38:03 AM »
Selling jewelry made by women rescued from prostitution and slave trafficking in Asia, with all proceeds going back to supporting the women.  Cheap for me. Not so cheap for the lovely people who purchased the jewelry.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1703 on: December 01, 2019, 08:34:47 AM »
I'm going with Thanksgiving leftovers

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1704 on: December 01, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »
Yesterday my 13 y.o. son helped me work in the garden.  Afterwards we were just sitting there talking, and he picked a blade of grass and tied it on my wrist as a bracelet.  It made me so happy.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:27:33 PM by Trifele »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1705 on: December 02, 2019, 07:16:06 PM »
- Meditating on the train on my way into work
- Running with my dog in the mornings
- The photo of G all dressed up for his very first formal
- Going for a wee walk at lunchtime by the river

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1706 on: December 02, 2019, 07:59:41 PM »
When all of the random fridge leftovers come together to make a meal that satisfies: a picky 12 y.o, a starving teen, a Keto friendly adult, and a lactose intolerant adult. It was like leftover magic.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1707 on: December 02, 2019, 11:14:04 PM »
The Christmas lights in the neighborhood reflected on the snow.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1708 on: December 03, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Just watching the snow fall. Best walking opportunity. First snow of the season. As usual we are far enough south that it seldom amounts to anything.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1709 on: December 03, 2019, 08:12:38 PM »
Crocheting a pair of mittens as a gift.

MoneyQuirk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Aspiring writer at www.moneyquirk.com
    • Money Quirk
« Reply #1710 on: December 03, 2019, 08:18:21 PM »
South Park :).

Hiking, chess, time with friends and family.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1711 on: December 04, 2019, 03:28:15 AM »
Sound of rain on our aluminum awning and wooden deck

Couch to 5K app

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1712 on: December 04, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »
Seedless navel oranges. They’re relatively cheap right now and so good.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1713 on: December 04, 2019, 05:23:59 PM »
I've resisted this thread for a long time and now feel sad that I did!  It's lovely!

Mine today is when I get an email from the library saying a book I put on hold is ready for me to checkout.  It's a great surprise and probably the happiest things I ever see in my inbox.  It's so exciting to then open it like a present, not knowing which of the many books I have on hold it will be until I can get a good look at the contents. 

Libraries, man.  They are the best.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1714 on: December 05, 2019, 02:26:24 AM »
I've resisted this thread for a long time and now feel sad that I did!  It's lovely!

Mine today is when I get an email from the library saying a book I put on hold is ready for me to checkout.  It's a great surprise and probably the happiest things I ever see in my inbox.  It's so exciting to then open it like a present, not knowing which of the many books I have on hold it will be until I can get a good look at the contents. 

Libraries, man.  They are the best.

I have a list of books I would like to borrow from the library. But if I order them, they do indeed usually arrive very fast. And I just don't have the time to read them yet. I hope that changes very soon when I FIRE. Maybe I finally will have time to read whatever I want at any time I want. The library is great.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1715 on: December 06, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
Sunshine (good lord, finally), above-freezing temps, and holiday paper sales by the local Goodfellows organizations.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1716 on: December 06, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »
The retro bubble lights on my Christmas Tree!

My grandma had some when I was really little and I just thought they were beautiful. My parents always thought they were tacky so would never use them on the family tree.

I bought myself some four years ago and I love them so much! I sit and look at my Christmas tree and something in me is so happy that I have something that I wanted so badly as a child. I FEEL like a little kid when I look at them.

I love this. I still remember the weird lights that looked like ice balls on my grandparents' tree (always a huge and real tree, with loads of tinsel). I would love to get a set for our tree.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1717 on: December 07, 2019, 05:29:14 AM »
Knitting.  (Well, the yarn's not always cheap but the activity is free and lovely.  Very meditative.)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1718 on: December 07, 2019, 07:01:33 AM »
Freshly prepared CC ski tracks. And seeing a moose during the ski trip.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1719 on: December 07, 2019, 07:34:15 AM »
Our (free) Christmas tree with homemade ornaments. Our tree is little - about one meter tall. A few years ago we spent several weeks crocheting amigurumi ornaments. Another year we sewed felt ornaments. It’s definitely not a designer tree and nothing matches on the tree, but it looks and feels so homey.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1720 on: December 07, 2019, 07:40:27 AM »
Also today, I spent a few hours making fancy designer candles.

Natural smokeless soy wax cost $1.50 for 500 g (enough for five to six small candles). I had friends collect small tea tins and jars for me. The designer scents cost $0.40 each.

I looked online at Anthropologie and some of the other big name stores to see what scents were popular this year, then bought those scents online - English Pear and Freesia, White Tea, & Japanese Yuzu. I also bought a couple Chanel (knock off?) scents.

We now have several beautiful, sumptuous-smelling fancy candles that cost less than $1 each to make.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1721 on: December 07, 2019, 08:12:24 AM »
@Freedomin5 - those candles sound fantastic!

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1722 on: December 07, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »

Natural smokeless soy wax cost $1.50 for 500 g (enough for five to six small candles). I had friends collect small tea tins and jars for me. The designer scents cost $0.40 each.

I looked online at Anthropologie and some of the other big name stores to see what scents were popular this year, then bought those scents online - English Pear and Freesia, White Tea, & Japanese Yuzu. I also bought a couple Chanel (knock off?) scents.

We now have several beautiful, sumptuous-smelling fancy candles that cost less than $1 each to make.

Care to insert some links for all the great ideas here? I kinda really really want to make my own candles now...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1723 on: December 07, 2019, 08:58:14 AM »

Care to insert some links for all the great ideas here? I kinda really really want to make my own candles now...

I make candles from leftover stumps of old candle. Without scent and ornaments. But just normal functional candles.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1724 on: December 07, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »
Tonight’s choir concert got an immediate standing ovation. We had a blast performing it, and apparently the audience equally had a blast listening to it.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1725 on: December 07, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »
Also, Kirkland (Costco) Prosecco. One $7 bottle gives us each 2 generous glasses of tasty, festive wine.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1726 on: December 08, 2019, 01:11:18 AM »

I looked at several sites. Some taught you how to melt and pour the wax. Others talked about oil flashpoints (temperature at which the scent evaporates). I didn’t buy any of the fancy tools that they recommended (kitchen scale, candy thermometer), but it still turned out okay.

Here are some sites to get you started:
http://eazyglam.com/simply-amazing-diy-candles-you-can-make/
https://pin.it/erehxyhphjf2n6
https://pin.it/d6aq6kar5pzby7

I can’t help you with the cost of materials since I live in China and buy most of my materials online from the manufacturer/exporter.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:13:11 AM by Freedomin5 »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1727 on: December 08, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »
Tonight’s choir concert got an immediate standing ovation. We had a blast performing it, and apparently the audience equally had a blast listening to it.
♡♡♡♡♡

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #1728 on: December 08, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
This is kind of contingent on the cost of tea, but a good homemade cup of loose leaf tea. Especially pu-erh or oolong. They can be re-steeped several times for maximum enjoyment, so it's totally mustachian, right? :P

Also, the act of cooking homemade meals at home with my husband is so fun, usually accompanied by great conversation, laughing, background music, and wine or kombucha. The drinks are extra, I guess, but all in all it's so much of a better experience than going out and being waited on!

Kevin_T87

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1729 on: December 08, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »
Simple walks outdoors when it rains or snows, eating popcorn while watching a movie cozied up on the couch, and hugs when they're needed most.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1730 on: December 08, 2019, 01:29:36 PM »
A good afternoon nap

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1731 on: December 09, 2019, 04:39:08 AM »

:)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1732 on: December 09, 2019, 01:28:06 PM »
Unseasonable weather: cool summer day or warm winter day.

This weekend was warm. Spent time outside. It was nice and dry and 60s F.

Chores for us, helped a friend with their chores. Good weekend.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1733 on: December 12, 2019, 09:03:40 AM »
I just baked a pan of chocolate chip bar cookies for a weekend party. My house smells wonderful!

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #1734 on: December 12, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »
Seeing things I have never seen before. Out walking with DW and the dog a little while ago we saw a tarantula. I had never seen one outside of a petstore or a zoo before.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1735 on: December 12, 2019, 03:01:05 PM »
The CSPAN news channels.  Interesting topics plus NO COMMERCIALS = cheap happiness.   

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1736 on: December 12, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »
Making Xmas cookies

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1737 on: December 13, 2019, 03:18:40 AM »
Seeing things I have never seen before. Out walking with DW and the dog a little while ago we saw a tarantula. I had never seen one outside of a petstore or a zoo before.

Does that seriously make you happy? I live in a country without poisonous or so big spiders and I would freak out if I would encounter a tarantula in the wild, while visiting another country.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1738 on: December 13, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »
Making a little kid laugh and any dog wag its tail.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1739 on: December 13, 2019, 02:42:42 PM »

Does that seriously make you happy? I live in a country without poisonous or so big spiders and I would freak out if I would encounter a tarantula in the wild, while visiting another country.

We have wild tarantulas here in California and they are sort of like sleepy-sloth spiders--furry and slow-moving and really fascinating. I saw one once while on a camping trip and was thrilled.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1740 on: December 13, 2019, 04:02:14 PM »

We have wild tarantulas here in California and they are sort of like sleepy-sloth spiders--furry and slow-moving and really fascinating. I saw one once while on a camping trip and was thrilled.

Agree! I was driving down a back road in the desert east of San Diego a dozen years or so ago, and saw one on the road. It was big enough to see going 50 mph from a high truck! We stopped and I have a picture of me sitting next to it on the pavement. I hadn't seen one since my 4th grade class's pet tarantula, whom we all got to take home one weekend during the year and feed grasshoppers. They are impressive creatures.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1741 on: December 13, 2019, 07:23:11 PM »
Baking a coffee cake for tomorrow's holiday brunch, using my mom's recipe (which I suspect she got from her grandfather, a professional baker). Again, my house smells amazing.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1742 on: December 13, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
Baking a coffee cake for tomorrow's holiday brunch, using my mom's recipe (which I suspect she got from her grandfather, a professional baker). Again, my house smells amazing.

Well now we all want you to share this recipe with the class!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1743 on: December 14, 2019, 05:09:42 AM »
Free mindful yoga instructions (on you tube or only by sound) to do at home.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1744 on: December 14, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »

Well now we all want you to share this recipe with the class!

Haha, later this week when I have time to type it out! I'm about to leave for the brunch, and this evening I'm in a holiday concert which has an after-party. Then there's another holiday party later tonight. It's seriously the holiday gauntlet.

Cheap happy thing today: the prospect of a quiet day tomorrow. :-)

tinsoldier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1745 on: December 14, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
I like flea markets on weekends. Funny loud crazy boys and girls. The smell of the pages of an old book. New fast technique. Warm wind with the smell of leaves. I like swim quickly and deeply diving and quickly surface up. When everything turns out)

highplainsdrifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1746 on: December 14, 2019, 06:34:20 PM »
Riding my bike when I'm moving faster than all cars and people walking. Zipping through downtown when a road is closed off. Not having to worry about parking when there are a zillion people going to pay to look at xmas themed horses pulling carriages. Not following the crowd and landing at the library to learn for free.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1747 on: December 14, 2019, 11:18:46 PM »
Visiting this thread and being reminded of all the simple pleasures in life.  It feels good knowing so many others feel them too. 

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1748 on: December 15, 2019, 03:30:03 AM »
Street party for Christmas.  Just a bring and share, good company and a fun lunch and afternoon.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1749 on: December 15, 2019, 03:34:32 AM »
Visiting this thread and being reminded of all the simple pleasures in life.  It feels good knowing so many others feel them too.

When I was a child, I had a poetry book where other people could write poetry/rhymes in. One of my teachers wrote a rhyme about being befriended with small things, like a bird singing, a flower growing, a butterfly flying. If you are befriended with the small things, you'd be a happy person. I have found that to be so true. I can get very happy by just watching the small birds on the bird feeder, or watching other birds elsewhere. Of watching squirrels, or seeing an interesting insect.

This morning, the small birds are back at the bird feeder at home. They weren't there for for last week because we were not home during the previous weekend and didn't fill up the feeder. But after a week of abstinence, they are back.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!