Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938932 times)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1600 on: September 22, 2019, 03:44:07 AM »
Pumpkin spice muffins with homemade cream cheese frosting on a cold, blustery, drizzly day.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1601 on: September 22, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »
Double glazed windows that shut out the sound of the neighbour's kids screeching.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #1602 on: September 22, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
Sitting out on the deck to enjoy quiet rainy mornings with a home brewed coffee before anyone else has woken up.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1603 on: September 22, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »
Hopefully, our new fridge. Old one from 2001 bit it. Spent hours searching online, went a few places, realized that legitimately the best fridge out there for us was a $350 one from sears. Usual price $700, but it is from 2017, so discounted.

In the meantime, the 10 yo dorm fridge I bought off craigslist for 50 bucks (was using in my office) has come in handy.

leonblack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1604 on: September 22, 2019, 07:10:58 PM »
Made vegan chickpea salad at home!
Here's the link for the recipe https://vegan.org/chickpea-salad-sandwich/

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1605 on: September 22, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
Going for a walk in the evening with my 12 y.o son, when the temperature is just right. Not too hot, not too cold. Seeing lots of neighbors, tossing the volleyball, chatting about life.

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1606 on: September 23, 2019, 05:21:53 AM »
Nice hot shower.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1607 on: September 23, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »
Sitting on a warm beach until the sun sets.

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #1608 on: September 23, 2019, 02:45:08 PM »
Soup season!

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1609 on: October 09, 2019, 01:37:37 AM »
$100 outdoor solar shower from Amazon. Definitely had more than $100 worth of warm showers this summer :)

Can you share a link to the one you bought? Would love to learn more about this.

Bump! I'm curious too. TIA

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1610 on: October 09, 2019, 08:47:02 AM »
I saved a bee yesterday.  It had flown into the pool and was floundering around.  I scooped it up and put it on the side, and after it dried off it flew away.  Made me happy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1612 on: October 10, 2019, 08:20:51 AM »
Cooler weather for big bike rides.

Crunch of dry leaves under foot.

Seeing our dog this afternoon after a tough week at the vet's. That isn't cheap but dog affection will be nice.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1613 on: October 11, 2019, 05:42:01 AM »
Seeing a squirrel hanging by it's hind legs from a branch, eating from the bird feeder.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1614 on: October 12, 2019, 07:46:54 AM »
When my alma mater college football game is being televised on one of the mainstream TV channels, so I can see it at home (for free, sort of) instead of going out to a bar to see it, which is what I have to do if it is being shown on a 'premier' channel like ESPN, which I don't subscribe to.   

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1615 on: October 12, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
Khan Academy. Khan Academy is a free thing that makes me so so happy.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1616 on: October 15, 2019, 03:45:40 AM »
Playing table tennis, Sequence and kicking a ball around the garden with my teenage son over the weekend. I am so grateful he still sometimes wants to hang out with his old mum.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1617 on: October 15, 2019, 07:30:53 AM »
If you take some pumpkin spice coffee from Trader Joe's and put a little almond milk (either regular or TJ's pumpkin spice almond milk) in it, you get a homemade pumpkin spice latte-ish drink that I find WAY WAY tastier than any PSL that I have bought from Starbucks or another coffee shop. Much less sweet, and since it's homemade I can have one every day if I want without cringing at the price!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1618 on: October 17, 2019, 03:36:52 AM »
Piece and Quiet in a comfortable chair with something good to drink and a great view preferable of water and nature not the ocean so much but inland lake.

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #1620 on: October 18, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »
The Budget Bytes website!  The recipes are all so good and so cheap.  It's become my go-to for when I want to find something tasty and new to add to my dinner menu rotation.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1621 on: October 18, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »
The Budget Bytes website!  The recipes are all so good and so cheap.  It's become my go-to for when I want to find something tasty and new to add to my dinner menu rotation.

Seconded! It's such a good resource. I don't think we've found a recipe that we didn't like.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1623 on: October 20, 2019, 03:36:59 PM »
Warm sunny weather, an evening glass of very decent rosé ($6.99 at Costco) on the patio, and the loud and impassioned conversation I just witnessed between two squirrels on the back fence.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1624 on: October 20, 2019, 04:08:31 PM »
Walking in our woods with my husband. Sassafras and hickory, oak and mountain laurel. Also found a black walnut after a decade of looking on our property.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1625 on: October 20, 2019, 06:10:58 PM »
I just made pie crust successfully for the first time in my adult life.

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1626 on: October 20, 2019, 09:44:37 PM »
* It's Santa Ana winds season in Southern California  -- dry and hot during the day with an Indian summer energy, but at night it's positively magical and you want to live outside forever.

* Breastfeeding a hungry baby to sleep is a treat

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1627 on: October 26, 2019, 09:22:36 AM »
The hour after cleaning up a part of the home.  Today I cleared out the mess of cables under my computer desk, and the floor is now totally free from loose cables - future cleaning will be much easier (until entropy hits again).

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #1628 on: October 26, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »
Sitting out on the deck, in perfect upper 60s fall weather. The leaves going from green to golden. We were supposed to go camping this weekend, but I have a lot of grading to do, but I’m enjoying this compromise. At least I’m outside.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1629 on: October 26, 2019, 11:14:00 AM »
We are preparing our home for public viewing for sales tomorrow.
Today we did a lot and the rest is just last minute stuff that we can do tomorrow. So today we had time for a walk outside. We saw a half modern and a bitt older water turbine beside the dam that is renewed. And saw a surprisingly old tree.

citrine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1631 on: October 28, 2019, 10:10:44 AM »
Watching the snow from our kitchen/dining room windows while drinking another cup of Starbucks coffee and just relaxing.  I only have one client this afternoon....perfect Monday!

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1632 on: October 28, 2019, 10:28:43 AM »
1.Repairing two of my reusable cloth bags clumsy stitching but it is done.
2.Helping to get our team coordinated at second job to get orders out during a rush of customers..

And finally getting around to giving you all the backstory about the customer who got thrown out and banned earlier:
He was a homeless guy that's no sin and most who come in order something small and are quiet and generally well behaved.  But this one was obnoxious.  He'd place orders then constantly backtrack to match the actual money in hand holding up the line.  He'd also openly panhandle in line if he was short of cash.  This is not allowed inside the store if we catch you you can be asked to leave.  Outside it doesn't matter.  He was also very rude to us cashiers and the managers.  That particular day he came in ordering milkshake after milkshake yet also complaining milk upset his stomach.  He got so rude and abusive the manager put him out then banned him on the spot.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1633 on: October 28, 2019, 10:46:44 AM »
If I buy and use that shower, how long will it take for my body to look like that? It's the shower that does that, right?

If I use that shower and start to look like that my DW (and everyone else) might have some questions...

Went kayaking with a friend, their daughter and our kids. Waded in the chilly creek water, colors everywhere, nice warm breeze, birds, we all giggled watching one of the kids learn to keep their white water kayak tracking straight on the still waters. It frequently wanted to spin on the return trip.

Enjoyed the fall rains this past weekend. Mostly light and steady. Listening to the rain landing and dripping here and there.

Cleaned out the garage with our kids. Chores can be satisfying and free! We had fun together. Just made more organized and efficient use of the space.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:58:17 AM by Just Joe »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1634 on: October 29, 2019, 02:46:40 AM »
Watching the snow from our kitchen/dining room windows while drinking another cup of Starbucks coffee and just relaxing.  I only have one client this afternoon....perfect Monday!

@citrine And the big question is: why do you drink spendypants Starbucks coffee in your own kitchen, where you probably have your own coffee maker?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1635 on: October 29, 2019, 02:54:27 AM »

Seconded! It's such a good resource. I don't think we've found a recipe that we didn't like.

I made a salad with kale and apple:
https://www.budgetbytes.com/autumn-kale-and-apple-salad/

It tasted okay, but DH ended up upsetting his stomach/intestines. Maybe because of the kale being eaten raw? The kale I used was in a pack, marked as "washed, ready to eat", so I didn't wash them. Maybe is wasn't washed well enough? My sensitive bowels were fine. The cheese I used was still fresh, as we have eaten it later without trouble.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1636 on: October 29, 2019, 05:02:52 AM »
Homemade masala chai latte. The spices (specifically cardamom and cloves) were notoriously hard to find in China, but I found it in a hole-in-the-wall shop, and now I have several months’ worth of chai spices in my cupboard.

And it’s much cheaper than the $8 per cup chai latte at the local coffee shop.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1637 on: October 29, 2019, 07:20:55 AM »

@citrine And the big question is: why do you drink spendypants Starbucks coffee in your own kitchen, where you probably have your own coffee maker?

Starbucks brand beans are widely available for purchase in most grocery stores here.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1638 on: October 29, 2019, 03:01:15 PM »
Reclining in my deckchair in the shade, reading, with my 2 dogs next to me while the rest of the neighbourhood is at work and all I can hear are birds.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1639 on: October 31, 2019, 08:21:02 PM »
The king-size (aka 4-pack) package of Reese's peanut butter cups that I split with my husband after dinner. Those were always the holy grail of trick-or-treating when I was little, so they made tonight a bit festive.

stream26

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1640 on: November 01, 2019, 08:23:52 AM »
Financial stability mostly because we haven't really built up a savings yet (having all the bills paid on time is the greatest stress relief).
Also creating. I love putting a lot of work into sewing or painting something in a notebook, and being able to see the end result.
On a very related note, seeing self-improvement. I can put two things I've made together and see a definite change, and that's awesome.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:05:48 AM by stream26 »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1641 on: November 01, 2019, 08:25:30 AM »
There's nothing in the world better than putting a new set of strings on an acoustic guitar and banging out some open chords.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1642 on: November 01, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
We found out that there is a much simpler and cheaper solution for a problem that either the new owner of our house gets, or we get, if we don't get sold because of this issue.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1643 on: November 02, 2019, 06:37:34 AM »
Fall chores -- raking leaves, cleaning up the garden, laying in farm supplies like straw, mulching, and generally battening down the hatches for winter.  Fall is a beautiful time to be outside, and the chores feel so productive and good. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1644 on: November 02, 2019, 06:46:04 AM »
Today we worked together with a neighbor, removing weeds and branched from an area where we will build a playground. Nice to be working together on it.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1645 on: November 02, 2019, 08:14:19 PM »
On a cold autumn night sitting around a firepit with friends.

jackmipp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1646 on: November 10, 2019, 12:13:40 PM »
Catching the train to work. It takes a little longer, but it costs less than the fuel alone, let alone the maintenance on the car. And I get to read. I haven't read in a long time and am really really enjoying it, even when I do get slight motion sickness from it. And the only way I'm determined to work is to set up a calendar.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:41:21 AM by jackmipp »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1647 on: November 11, 2019, 06:29:43 AM »
Walking to work down a quiet tree-lined street. Properly paved sidewalks where you don’t trip every five steps and practically need to wear hiking boots to survive the trek. NOT being at risk of being run over by a scooter or shoved by a fellow pedestrian as soon as you step foot out the door. Not being jam-packed like sardines on the subway.

Also, having neighbors who don’t verbally and physically abuse each other and their toddlers is nice.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1648 on: November 11, 2019, 12:08:00 PM »
Riding my bike in cool and even cold weather. Didn't require alot of money to gather the gear spread out over time. Nicer than riding some of the summer days.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1649 on: November 11, 2019, 03:40:51 PM »
We've been under a winter weather advisory all day (~5 inches of snow since morning rush hour and it's still falling). I got my daily exercise in by shoveling heavy, wet snow from the sidewalks, and my choir rehearsal was canceled so I can stay home tonight and make soup instead of dealing with idiots on the roads.