Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938962 times)

CharlesBronzee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1550 on: August 30, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
My bidet.  Best $65 I’ve ever spent.  Mornings never felt so better (and cleaner...and fresher).  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:13:47 PM by CharlesBronzee »

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1551 on: August 30, 2019, 10:59:17 PM »
Selling things on FB Marketplace. I keep thinking I've completely decluttered, then I'll find another gazingus pin and sell it. $20 her, $10 there, and it's all added up to about $300 so far this year. Doesn't cost me anything to post, and it's time well-spent on social media (pun totally intended).

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #1552 on: August 30, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »
Laying alone. Completely alone. Feeling delightfully forgotten and left alone by the entire world, in the silence.
Making the last toilet paper roll last 11 days when average is 9 (you have to pencil the date on the inside of the roll when you start it) ;)
Waking up in the middle of the night and getting 4-5 chips from the kitchen to take back to bed.
Fine-tuning business processes and comparing year over year--joyfully jawdropping.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1553 on: September 01, 2019, 06:46:19 AM »
My bidet.  Best $65 I’ve ever spent.  Mornings never felt so better (and cleaner...and fresher).  :)

Shout out for the bidet!  Yeah, they're pretty awesome, no matter how weird your parents and in-laws think you are for having one :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1554 on: September 01, 2019, 06:56:41 AM »

Shout out for the bidet!  Yeah, they're pretty awesome, no matter how weird your parents and in-laws think you are for having one :)

We used to have one in our previous house. It was green, like the toilet, bath and sinks. I think something was missing at the end of the faucet, because the water didn't come out in a controlled way. We couldn't use it the way it was intended. I just used it as a place to empty an occasional bucket of water. When we removated the bathroom, we left it out.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1555 on: September 01, 2019, 07:11:39 AM »

We used to have one in our previous house. It was green, like the toilet, bath and sinks. I think something was missing at the end of the faucet, because the water didn't come out in a controlled way. We couldn't use it the way it was intended. I just used it as a place to empty an occasional bucket of water. When we removated the bathroom, we left it out.

I think we're talking about different kinds of bidets.  The one I have is an attachment to/inside the toilet, where you can attach it via a "t" in the water line running from the wall to the toilet, and there's a little dial you can turn to run it.  I don't know if anyone in the US has a stand-alone bidet.  They're too European or something?  Too French?  There's an irrational anti-bidet sentiment here.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1556 on: September 06, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »
A cheap thing that makes me happy is people posting their urban wildlife sightings on social media. I’ve seen bobcats, mountain lions and wild turkeys in front yards and on crosswalks via FB & Insta lately and I’m here for it.

Citizen scientists are a good and powerful thing.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #1557 on: September 06, 2019, 09:28:51 PM »
Library books and iced coffee (made from leftover morning coffee, of course!)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1558 on: September 07, 2019, 02:50:15 AM »
So this morning I had a happy accident where I combined some leftover cold brew coffee in the fridge with some of my elderberry syrup.  (They were both in mason jars next to each other, and I poured them together thinking they were both cold brew).  Wow!  It's so tasty!  I made the syrup a few weeks ago from home-picked elderberries, honey, ginger, and cinnamon.  Who knew that would taste good with coffee? 

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1559 on: September 07, 2019, 05:51:30 AM »
Had to travel about 4km today (each way - so 8km altogether) in the inner city, i.e., lots of traffic, congestion etc.

Driving my own car would have been about $14 based on my long-term cost-per-kilometre calculation
Public transport cost would have been about $5 in total (there and back)
Uber was $24
Uber pool was $18
Taxi would have been about $30

Ended up using Uber Pool with 2x $10 off vouchers (one each way). Total cost - $nil!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1560 on: September 07, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
A new game my 2.5 year old granddaughter made up:  Sing the nursery rhymes as fast as you can.  She watched me sing and make the gestures for Itsy Bitsy Spider super fast and she just laughed and laughed. 
Yep, it's the simple dumb stuff that we'll all remember.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1561 on: September 08, 2019, 05:40:49 AM »
Biked to work yesterday morning to help score a 7th grade volleyball game. Up & out the door by 7 am, home by 11:15 am, got exercise & saw my students win all 3 games plus I made $30 in extra pay & helped out a coworker in a pinch.

Ate a quick lunch & walked over to son's church based daycare where the church was having a fall themed applefest in their urban orchard. 4 year old son enjoyed a bounce house, slide, balloon hat made by a clown & ate popcorn & I reluctantly allowed him to have a very small cotton candy (verdict: he said that it was too sweet).

All activities & treats were free. Son had a great time. We were encouraged to pick free apples from their orchard, so we came back with 3 largeish free organic apples that son loves.

I walked back home to watch the Nebraska/Colorado game on our TV courtesy of our antenna (so, free except for the cost of electricity & amortization of our 7 year old TV). Unfortunately Colorado won but it was a nail biter of a game. Nursed my disappointment with homemade home fries & homemade mead.

Overall a great day filled with exercise and family fun. Note: while the apple festival was free & they didn't even ask for donations, we do plan on adding a bit extra to our daycare check (made out to the church) tomorrow. As nonreligious people, spouse & I were very appreciative of the festival having zero mention of religion or spiritual beliefs & we want to help support that event in the future.

MyAlterEgoIsTaller

• Stubble
« Reply #1562 on: September 08, 2019, 09:29:21 AM »
Wild blackberries that grow on the mountain behind my house.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1563 on: September 08, 2019, 11:28:19 AM »
Just walking 10 minutes from my home and come back with 4 types of chantarells and several other edible species. Each week I find new ones.

minerstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1564 on: September 08, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »
Hiking my two dogs early morning, a chill in the air, when the sun's coming up over the mountains and no one else is out on the trail. Watching them running around, sniffing everything in sight, and being very happy pups.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1565 on: September 08, 2019, 07:46:44 PM »
Turning up unannounced, midday when she's home alone, to take the neighbour's husky for a walk. She's always so delighted. She does those husky noises roh-roh-roh-roh and bounces on her front legs. She's the happiest to see me that anyone or anything has EVER been!

Yes, her parents know I make these visits. They leave a lead outside for me.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1566 on: September 08, 2019, 08:59:47 PM »
Watching Good movies and documentaries in YouTube and Netflix.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1567 on: September 09, 2019, 01:13:41 AM »
Finding an interesting mushroom on my walk to work.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1568 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:33 AM »

GREAT deep sea diving doc on Netflix called Last Breath. Check it out.

lazycow

• Bristles
« Reply #1569 on: September 10, 2019, 01:23:48 AM »
11 hours sleep after the most stressful week of my life. And still waking early enough, and having the energy and headspace to make the most of this beautiful day.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1570 on: September 10, 2019, 06:25:49 AM »

GREAT deep sea diving doc on Netflix called Last Breath. Check it out.
sure thank you for the suggestion

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1571 on: September 10, 2019, 07:19:46 AM »
Everyone up and ready for school/work in a good or reasonable mood. Bonus points to anyone who beats the alarm clock.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1572 on: September 10, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
1.Getting a compliment on my second job from the manager who I am afraid of slightly.
2. Watching the customer from hell get thrown out and banned on the Schadenfreude side and keep being tossed out.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1573 on: September 10, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
Getting a rare moment of peace in this newborn-baby life to read a few pages of a book and drink some (caffeinated!) tea.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1574 on: September 10, 2019, 10:20:22 PM »
The way my 4mo chirps and squawks and howls with happiness when he sees me and wants to “talk.”

My 3yo signing “I love you” for no reason.

Doing homework with the 6yo and 9yo and getting interesting insights into their brains.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1575 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28:25 AM »
1.Getting a compliment on my second job from the manager who I am afraid of slightly.
2. Watching the customer from hell get thrown out and banned on the Schadenfreude side and keep being tossed out.
That #2 sounds like a fantastic story!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1576 on: September 12, 2019, 08:17:41 AM »
A morning smile from either of our kids. None of us are morning people. We have great morning poker faces. ;)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1577 on: September 12, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »
My best friend, who has a very complicated schedule and lives five hundred miles away, just took up texting. Love being able to have little chats throughout the day...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1578 on: September 12, 2019, 11:32:59 AM »
Strong T-storms last night took out the local electrical grid, but we were only without electricity for 7 hours. Husband is a little annoyed because he’d gone out for ice and packed up the fridge contents in a cooler right before the fridge turned on again. I’m thrilled because 1) we didn’t lose any food and didn’t even have to open the freezer and 2) I don’t have to drive around looking for a cafe with power so that I can submit my work online.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1579 on: September 12, 2019, 08:13:29 PM »
A home cooked feast. Cooking for the family. That makes the whole day special and memorable.

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1580 on: September 13, 2019, 01:33:45 AM »
That Friday night feeling!

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1581 on: September 13, 2019, 05:46:44 AM »
Recently I found some apps that is helping me track things like weight, habits, mood etc. Loving it, very useful and making me feel happy that I do have some good control on my life.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1582 on: September 13, 2019, 07:34:57 AM »
That Friday night feeling!
Happy to report that when you hit FIRE, every night has that Friday night feeling. Or whatever night you want it to feel like. Totally worth the effort it takes to get there.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1583 on: September 13, 2019, 06:41:57 PM »
Family of 4. Enjoy swimming/playing on the lake beach. Family time, great weekend.
Costs $7. (entry fee for a car).

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1584 on: September 14, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »
Having the flexibility to take 3.5 days off work to help my dad while he recovers from surgery.

Pulling a bucket of beets from the garden, washing them, and throwing them directly into the pot.  Picking a bucket of green beans to saute.  Fresh picked tomatoes in a salad.  There really is nothing like fresh garden produce.  I'm feeling very lucky that Dad's surgery coincided with the harvest season.  Even luckier that his recovery is going well.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1585 on: September 15, 2019, 05:21:03 AM »
Went to the Goodwill 10 for $10 sale. Found new with tags designer jeans for work on Fridays x 2 pairs. Bought 4 year old son 1 pair of jeans, 3 larger sized pairs of shorts & 2 swim trunks plus a rash guard all for next summer. Bought myself a new synthetic UPF 50 top for hiking & kayaking. Spent $10.70 for all of it, tax included.

Came home, threw the clothes in the washer to wash with homemade detergent. Harvested many fresh bell peppers & tomatoes from the garden while they washed. Came back in & took the clothes out of the washer to air dry & found a $5 bill laying in the bottom of the washer. Someone donated clothes & money, apparently, to Goodwill.

Read a library book while swinging my 4 year old son on the tire swing.

Drove the electric car to my parents' house to watch the football game & celebrate my dad's birthday. Toasted my dad's birthday & continued good health. We all are waiting anxiously for news of my new neice or nephew, to be born any day now. My poor uncomfortably pregnant sister is 2 days past her due date & she's ready to meet this baby...who apparently has other plans.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:24:07 PM by Teachstache »

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #1586 on: September 15, 2019, 11:19:00 AM »
Dumpster diving! ;)

We've scavenged everything from bedframes and shelves, to clothing and electronics from the student dumpsters surrounding us. My partner got new-in-box Converse yesterday! It was in a bag of mostly designer clothing (not in our sizes) that I'm washing right now so we can drop it off at the consignment store. We loop through the closest parking lots after our evening walks every weekend to see the new goodies being put out.

A second cheap thing that makes me happy: There's so much waste, that we've been scavenging stuff we don't need/want and rehoming it on our neighborhood buy nothing group. Making other people happy is a wonderful side effect.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1587 on: September 15, 2019, 04:28:30 PM »
Walking while holding my wife's hand.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1588 on: September 15, 2019, 04:35:24 PM »
Craigslist. I just bought a decent bike in good condition for $35.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1589 on: September 15, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
DH came home from a fishing trip with a bag full of trout that I put in the freezer for another day.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:21:04 AM by Linea_Norway »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1590 on: September 15, 2019, 07:17:07 PM »
Peanut butter is now being sold at the dollar store within walking distance of my house for $1 for 10 oz. That makes me very happy.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1591 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »
A dear friend received good medical news.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1592 on: September 17, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »
A coworker brought a large bowl full of plums from his or her own garden to our department. These home grown plums always taste so much better than what they in Norway sell in shops, which are often unripe.
I ate 3 already and will probably eat some more later.

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #1593 on: September 17, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
$100 outdoor solar shower from Amazon. Definitely had more than $100 worth of warm showers this summer :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1594 on: September 18, 2019, 12:02:54 AM »
A beautiful sunrise exactly while I'm having breakfast and can look at it. It is only two periods a year that sun rise matches my get up times on working days.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1595 on: September 18, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
Fresh basil from our garden.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1596 on: September 18, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
$100 outdoor solar shower from Amazon. Definitely had more than $100 worth of warm showers this summer :)

Can you share a link to the one you bought? Would love to learn more about this.

A cheap thing I love is resuscitating houseplants that other people gave up on. Currently gazing at a rubber plant and a draecena that were very unhappy when I met them and are currently putting out all kinds of new shoots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1597 on: September 20, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »
The first cool day after the summer heat breaks. Sometimes it is just a tease with many hot days left. Sometimes not. Rode my bike 10 miles at lunch time today.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #1598 on: September 21, 2019, 11:26:00 AM »
Getting my use out of my Annual National Parks Pass. $80 gets you 13* months(*We got at the beginning of February 2019, and it's good through the end of February 2020). Carlsbad caverns was $30 each($60 total), we have also done Crater Lake($25), Craters of The Moon($20), Arches($30), and Grand Canyon-north rim($30). The pass been worth it.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1599 on: September 21, 2019, 04:44:54 PM »
Watching my 4 year old son play with his cousin who is 2. Last night, we went to the library book sale & he selected a book to give to his 2 year old cousin & newborn cousin. He's the oldest of all of the grandchildren on both sides of the family & he's so delighted to play with all of his cousins, boys & girls. It makes my heart happy to see cousin bonding. We also received a very positive report from school yesterday & he loves his teachers at (free, full day, public) preschool. They are so good with him.

Giving away our crib, which we purchased used but nearly unused from a family friend. The couple is unexpectedly pregnant with #2 & the baby is due on my son's 5th birthday. Happy to pass along the crib to a family in need.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!