Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938947 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1500 on: July 10, 2019, 07:58:48 PM »
Queen's "A Night at the Opera". Hadn't listened to it in a while. It's always such a fun ride.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1501 on: July 12, 2019, 05:05:27 AM »
I love the first rain after a bit of a dry spell.  The air smells wonderful, the plants stand up and stretch, and lots of little critters come out and walk around:  turtles, lizards, salamanders.  :)

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1502 on: July 12, 2019, 06:31:32 AM »
The scent of my garden early in the morning.
The scent of jasmine when I open the window.

When the Cosmos self-seeds and I have a garden full of sunny yellow and happy orange blooms for free - like right now:).
When I've successfully figured out how to propagate my favorite African Blue Basil.

Seeing my son walk thru the door for a visit - an indescribable feeling.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1503 on: July 12, 2019, 12:43:36 PM »
Having a mountain at walking distance with a good path to the top. Nice weather and access to fresh water halfway the climb. Not meeting any people on the 2 hour trip, a beautiful view on the top, but also along the way. And seeing some birds.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1504 on: July 12, 2019, 01:06:41 PM »
Went on a 5-mile hike yesterday morning with our Boy Scout patrol.  The weather was beautiful, the birds were singing, the trail (well, paved bike path) was smooth, the river was gorgeous.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1505 on: July 12, 2019, 03:22:56 PM »
Sandpaper and what a person can do with it.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1506 on: July 13, 2019, 11:01:39 AM »
Eating my breakfast in our little backyard garden. I’m determined to provide a hospitable habitat to our fellow creatures and it seems to working.

Some of the creatures I’ve seen just this morning: fence lizard, scrub jay, monarch butterfly, hoverfly, black phoebe, and more.

FireKingGreen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1507 on: July 13, 2019, 01:15:50 PM »
Library books. It’s fun outing for DS and I and free to boot. Ours has done away with late fees; we keep them for a few weeks and return for the next round.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1508 on: July 15, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
Watching the country critters that walk across our land. Over the weekend we watched six does walk out of the woods and then down across the road for a snack in the field across from us.

All sorts of bird calls to listen to. A bullfrog that lives in the artificial pond that came with the house. An occasional groundhog or skunk. A fox or one of the 1001 rabbits we see.

Riding a bike is great b/c we see stuff that didn't see us first.

Yesterday the girls (does) were back (three of them) and they strolled across the yard fairly close to the house. No garden for them to pilfer. Just moving from one place to another.

Can't imagine what our dog is thinking. Can't decide if she thinks they are really tall dogs or snacks on hooves or simply something that should not be in "her" yard.

hounton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1509 on: July 17, 2019, 08:57:16 PM »
My dad passed away three years ago.  Last winter I decided to try to revive his raspberries.  They did not produce last year.  I watched a youtube video and I pruned and fertilized according to instructions.  This summer we have so many raspberries.  I go over twice a week, pick the raspberries and give them to my mom who just loves them.  Dad's raspberries, and it cost me a couple of hours of yardwork and a dollar in fertilizer.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1510 on: July 18, 2019, 02:24:47 AM »
My dad passed away three years ago.  Last winter I decided to try to revive his raspberries.  They did not produce last year.  I watched a youtube video and I pruned and fertilized according to instructions.  This summer we have so many raspberries.  I go over twice a week, pick the raspberries and give them to my mom who just loves them.  Dad's raspberries, and it cost me a couple of hours of yardwork and a dollar in fertilizer.

Welcome @hounton!  I'm sorry about your dad, and glad that you have that lovely connection to him and your mom. 

Have you checked out the MMM gardening thread?  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/plantinggrowing-your-own-2019/650/

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1511 on: July 18, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
Small sponges (aka, cutting the usual rectangle ones into thirds or quarters).
Washing dishes is just so much less frustrating when I can get into curves and grooves and maneuver around.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1512 on: July 19, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
Fresh, homegrown zucchini!  My coworker brought in a few to give me, as she had too many and knew I would be able to use them.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1513 on: July 19, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
A cool shower on a hot, very humid day.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1514 on: July 19, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »
Maybe not cheap, but living in a place that is never hot and humid is a source of endless joy for me

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1515 on: July 19, 2019, 04:37:50 PM »
Duolingo

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1516 on: July 19, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »
Maybe not cheap, but living in a place that is never hot and humid is a source of endless joy for me

I don’t mind the heat but a lack of humidity would be nice. My housing cost per square foot is less than 10% than the average in SF, so that’s the trade-off.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1517 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
Tracking down the tree blown apart by lightning last night near us; the ground shook and windows rattled 4 blocks away where we are.  Also, lingering to hear the stories of its impact on the neighbours (no one was hurt). ETA: okay, not thrilled on the tree`s behalf, but impressed by the power involved!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1518 on: July 20, 2019, 06:49:51 AM »
Thanks for this @conwy!  Neat post.

+1, I'll definitely be checking out your list @conwy

Thanks peeps!

I don't know if everyone would get them, and it may take repeated listens to get really familiar with the music.

Especially with Bruckner, I found it  easier to put on the music in the background while I'm doing something else like walking or programming, and just wait for the "thunderbolt" effect to ensue!

What I can say is, once you really commit to and follow the music, these recordings open up a whole other dimension that most other recordings would never have come close to. It's really an experience. There's nothing comparable.

I had been selling off my classical records but now I plan on keeping them, and listening to them all, over the years.

Cheap but mind-blowing :  attending local college voice recitals. Just the soprano with a piano or cello with her, in a small auditorium.  French art songs. German lieder.  I just love it. I used to hate this style of music but obviously I have  changed. It's an intensely beautiful, spiritual thing for me. 

Listening to a soprano on tape is a close second, but, to paraphrase you,  Conwy, the live performance is something unique and alive unto itself.   

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:53:25 AM by slackmax »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1519 on: July 20, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »
Watching a group of young squirrels chase each other up and around the neighbor’s tree.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1520 on: July 20, 2019, 07:43:09 AM »
Cheap but mind-blowing :  attending local college voice recitals. Just the soprano with a piano or cello with her, in a small auditorium.  French art songs. German lieder.  I just love it. I used to hate this style of music but obviously I have  changed. It's an intensely beautiful, spiritual thing for me. 

Listening to a soprano on tape is a close second, but, to paraphrase you,  Conwy, the live performance is something unique and alive unto itself.

+1 to this.  I went to a performance of Messiah this past winter put on by our local [excellent] choir and baroque orchestra.  Mind.  Blown. 

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1521 on: July 20, 2019, 07:03:01 PM »
Cool days!!! So done with the hot, AC sucking, weather. 105 this week.

Give me some 70 to 80 degree days, please.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1522 on: July 22, 2019, 03:06:29 PM »

I'd love a link to the best video you found.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1523 on: July 23, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
Duolingo

¡Yo también!

Cool days!!! So done with the hot, AC sucking, weather. 105 this week.

Give me some 70 to 80 degree days, please.

While some cooler weather sounds really nice right about now, I am enjoying it not being cold.  Every day I'm wearing flip flops instead of a coat is a good day to me. 

seattleite

• Stubble
« Reply #1524 on: July 23, 2019, 03:38:00 PM »
The boardgame Blockus. It's like $20 to buy new but you could easily make your own from cardboard and crayons for free. Many, many, many, many hours of fun.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #1525 on: July 24, 2019, 10:42:49 PM »
The boardgame Blockus. It's like $20 to buy new but you could easily make your own from cardboard and crayons for free. Many, many, many, many hours of fun.

Dang, that is a great idea. We love Blockus.

thedollarface

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1526 on: July 25, 2019, 12:54:04 AM »
Just walking on the beach and looking for a coin. Feels like I'm a millionaire.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1527 on: July 25, 2019, 03:57:27 AM »
Sleep!

A good 8 or 9 hours of sleep feels like a million bucks.

CastaMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1528 on: July 25, 2019, 08:50:00 AM »
Enjoy to drink some beer<after hard day 1 bottle of beer,help me to relax

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1529 on: July 25, 2019, 05:53:13 PM »
A few days of temperature drops in the middle of a hot, humid summer. It's so lovely to take a walk at 6PM without risking heat stroke! Cool breezes, flowers blooming, birds singing.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1530 on: July 26, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
Costco rotisserie chicken. For $5, I got enough meat for two dishes with several servings each, plus 2 quarts of stock from the skin and bones.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1531 on: July 27, 2019, 07:49:04 AM »
Free thing that makes me happy. There's an empty house along my library route, with wonderful montmorency cherries hanging over the sidewalk. Yesterday I realized that its front hedge is actually a series of gooseberry bushes. Some kind of small red gooseberry, looking like red currants but much sweeter and complex. Man, what a treat.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #1532 on: July 27, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »
Long early morning bike ride with DW on a quiet peaceful rail trail while kids are still sleeping.

Cooling off by sticking my head under an ice cold garden hose after cutting grass on this very warm day.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1533 on: July 28, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »
The ridiculous buffet of mostly homemade Mexican food at the family reunion. Conversations with several relatives in their 80s. Watching the younger generations enjoy the same traditions that my first cousins and I enjoyed decades ago, and that our parents enjoyed decades before then.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1534 on: July 29, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »
Another free zucchini from my coworker's garden!  This is after the two she brought me last week.  I 'repaid' her by bringing in a zucchini bread to share with the team today.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #1535 on: July 31, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »
My Friday afternoon nap in the recliner with the sun streaming in the window. 

zygote

• Bristles
« Reply #1536 on: August 01, 2019, 12:53:06 PM »
There was a truck giving out free mustard ice cream with a pretzel cookie for national mustard day. Sounds weird, but it was delicious. And free!!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1537 on: August 01, 2019, 10:24:48 PM »
I sewed buttons back onto two pairs of shorts today so they are as good as new. That made me oddly happy. I like repairing things in general, though.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1538 on: August 02, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »
I just repaired a washcloth that was frayed at the edges.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1539 on: August 02, 2019, 12:03:58 PM »
First fresh local corn! Season's starting late this year. My lip-smacking lunch cost me about 45 cents.

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1540 on: August 02, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »
Figuring out a walking route to work that takes me through the most shade and air conditioning during ridiculous heat and humidity.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1541 on: August 02, 2019, 11:09:44 PM »
Figuring out a walking route to work that takes me through the most shade and air conditioning during ridiculous heat and humidity.

My wife showed me a shadier way to the local downtown. Goes along a lake, but also has horse poo along the trail.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1542 on: August 02, 2019, 11:10:38 PM »
My old laptop. Needs a new battery so I can unplug it for longer than 30 minutes, but is still doing it's basic job.

sun and sand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1543 on: August 03, 2019, 03:57:30 PM »
cuddling Cocoa Puff and hearing her purr

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1544 on: August 05, 2019, 10:37:31 AM »
Making something and having it turn out well - food, wood, pictures, etc.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1545 on: August 06, 2019, 04:47:12 PM »
I voted!

Our city has a few city council seats up for election and a large group of candidates, necessitating a primary election. I've met all of the candidates, chatted with several, and organized a candidate forum. I love local elections. Voting can make a big difference at this level, and the politicians are usually more accessible.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #1546 on: August 07, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »
I voted!

Our city has a few city council seats up for election and a large group of candidates, necessitating a primary election. I've met all of the candidates, chatted with several, and organized a candidate forum. I love local elections. Voting can make a big difference at this level, and the politicians are usually more accessible.

Excellent!  Not only does your vote count more but the decisions made by the local politicians can have a direct impact on your day to day life. 

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #1547 on: August 10, 2019, 06:21:21 AM »
Waking up every morning in the summer and walking through the garden and seeing everything grow and ripen. Although it may seem barbaric, I also get great satisfaction finding and ending the lives of tomato horn worms and squash bugs. I get some help from spiders and wasps, my insect executioner friends but they don't get them all so I have to play executioner in the morning to protect the crops.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1548 on: August 13, 2019, 12:36:22 PM »
I voted!

DH and I also (pre)voted for the local election today. It feels good to have done that.

Norway has a funny system, where you can vote on one party, but give a personal vote to a person from another party. I used that function today, as a know that person from the other party personally.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1549 on: August 30, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
I covered a coworker's class & in addition to receiving my hourly rate of pay for giving up my plan period, he generously provided me with garden fresh produce. Stopped by the Goodwill 99¢ sale tonight & bought an outfit for myself, 2 pairs of jeans & 1 pair of shorts for 4 year old son & a NWT I love my auntie onesie for sister's baby due in 2 weeks. Spent $6.36 for all of it. Swung by the library on the way home from Goodwill & got 7 DVDs for family movie marathon this long weekend. Drove the Leaf, too, so 100% electric. Good Friday night!