Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939004 times)

Lauran75

• Stubble
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1450 on: May 09, 2019, 01:45:17 PM »
This morning after feeding the cats, I went into the kitchen and took my oatmeal out of the microwave. I was a bit hazier than usual ... My cat (the one I had before DH and I married 3 years ago) did a "mew mew" and that jolted me out of my haze. I turned around and took her "treats" out of the cupboard (medicine for preventing UTIs.) I normally give them to her as soon as I walk into the kitchen after feeding the cats. :) Cats definitely have their humans trained. :D

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1451 on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:18 PM »
"Cheap" is relative, right?

We were quoted $1100 for a car service.  It turns out that every 60,000 kms the car needs a new timing belt.  I did some research, and it seems fairly important (like blow up the engine important).  But $1100 seems a lot for a $3000 car.

So I found a timing belt kit online, for $300.  A bit more digging and I found Repco had the same kit at a couple if stores as a clearance item, for $109.

A few youtube videos, and this weekend I will do a complete service for less than $200.  Unless it rains, then it will be next weekend.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1452 on: May 10, 2019, 07:42:59 AM »

We were quoted $1100 for a car service.  It turns out that every 60,000 kms the car needs a new timing belt.  I did some research, and it seems fairly important (like blow up the engine important).  But $1100 seems a lot for a $3000 car.

So I found a timing belt kit online, for $300.  A bit more digging and I found Repco had the same kit at a couple if stores as a clearance item, for $109.

A few youtube videos, and this weekend I will do a complete service for less than $200.  Unless it rains, then it will be next weekend.
Excellent! You should post this to Share You Badassity too!

My latest cheap happiness: as a newly certified Master Naturalist I can camp for free on many federally protected lands with no time limit if I am working on a volunteer project (like, you know, counting fireflies or something). Although this makes me happy it also generates a new Mustachian People Problem: Of the millions of acres of federal lands available, which would I choose and how long woult I want to stay???

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1453 on: May 10, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
My latest cheap happiness: as a newly certified Master Naturalist I can camp for free on many federally protected lands with no time limit if I am working on a volunteer project (like, you know, counting fireflies or something). Although this makes me happy it also generates a new Mustachian People Problem: Of the millions of acres of federal lands available, which would I choose and how long woult I want to stay???

That's awesome! A Mustachian people problem for sure :) I didn't know about the Master Naturalist, and will look into this.

Cheap happiness here: after burying some cantaloupe rind/seeds for compost, I now have a free surprise patch of very healthy cantaloupe growing.

Dare2Dream

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1454 on: May 10, 2019, 12:24:12 PM »
Rode my bike to the park, with my miniature dachshund running along side.

He gets really excited going for a run, and his ears flap about in a hilarious way once he reaches full speed

Cute.  Would love to see a picture of that...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1455 on: May 13, 2019, 01:08:48 AM »
This morning just outside the kitchen window, I saw a squirrel hanging on it's toes lifting up the bird feeding device and eating the few leftover sunflower seeds in the bottom of the device.

That was the good part. When it was finished, I saw the feeding device had fallen down. These squirrels can be quite devastating.
As the winter is passed, we should have taken away that feeding device some time ago.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #1456 on: May 13, 2019, 01:52:36 AM »
Playing tin whistle. Yes, they do cost some money but there are plenty of cheap options that are actually fully playable instruments and even an expensive one is often only 200-300 dollars and then that is a quality instrument even at that price. Compared to many other instruments that is still incredibly cheap. The only downside is that since they are relatively cheap many players own a whole bunch of whistles. I have three and I could see myself buying two or three more over the next couple of years but I know plenty of people who have like 15 whistles.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #1457 on: May 13, 2019, 08:56:46 AM »

He gets really excited going for a run, and his ears flap about in a hilarious way once he reaches full speed

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeTheSausageDog/videos/1729734337337517/

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1458 on: May 13, 2019, 09:24:34 AM »

AW so cute!!!

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeTheSausageDog/videos/1729734337337517/

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1459 on: May 13, 2019, 09:25:11 AM »

+1 that is absolutely badass! I have fixed a lot of things (and saved a lot of $$) but timing belt is one thing that scared me lol. The next timing belt service for our new (used) car is in 5-6 years (previous owner did it right before we bought the car last year), so maybe I will have the courage to try it myself.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1460 on: May 13, 2019, 10:02:28 AM »

+1 that is absolutely badass! I have fixed a lot of things (and saved a lot of $$) but timing belt is one thing that scared me lol. The next timing belt service for our new (used) car is in 5-6 years (previous owner did it right before we bought the car last year), so maybe I will have the courage to try it myself.
I've done it a few times.  It's certainly not an easy way to start working on cars, but if you've got the right tools and have a little experience fixing cars (e.g. you've replaced your brake pads and rotors), it's worth it.  It's a pretty big job in any case (it takes me 7-9 hours), and you have to be careful to get the timing marks lined back up correctly.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1461 on: May 13, 2019, 12:13:08 PM »

I've done it a few times.  It's certainly not an easy way to start working on cars, but if you've got the right tools and have a little experience fixing cars (e.g. you've replaced your brake pads and rotors), it's worth it.  It's a pretty big job in any case (it takes me 7-9 hours), and you have to be careful to get the timing marks lined back up correctly.

I have done brake pads, rotors, replacing all shocks and springs, water pumps, radiators, etc etc. I believe I have the tools to do it. I have watched youtube. It just something about timing belt that just scared me, so last time this came up on our previous car, I end up paying someone to do it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1462 on: May 13, 2019, 01:11:23 PM »
I have done brake pads, rotors, replacing all shocks and springs, water pumps, radiators, etc etc. I believe I have the tools to do it. I have watched youtube. It just something about timing belt that just scared me, so last time this came up on our previous car, I end up paying someone to do it.
With all that under your belt, a timing belt shouldn't be a problem.  Wait, you've done a water pump but not a timing belt?  Interesting--I know a lot of times the water pump is buried under the timing belt, so it's a "you might as well replace it while you're in there" type of thing.  You just need to take the time to check and double check the position of the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys before you button it all back up and turn the key.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1463 on: June 15, 2019, 07:19:20 AM »
Started using a fancy scented bar soap I got for my birthday last year. Feels like the ultimate luxury.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1464 on: June 15, 2019, 12:28:20 PM »
A $6 egg boiler that I use to make perfect hard boiled eggs for my breakfast every morning. Makes my day start just right :-)

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1465 on: June 16, 2019, 07:48:12 AM »
I finally got a garlic press. It was cheap, and probably unnecessary, but now I don't have to get gross sticky garlic bits on my hands while trying to dice it super small.

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #1466 on: June 16, 2019, 08:36:45 AM »
refinishing/repurposing old furniture

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1467 on: June 16, 2019, 05:47:51 PM »
Frozen pean and ham soup, reheated on a cold day.  My wife makes big batches and we freeze it in two-people sized packs.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1468 on: June 16, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
Frozen pean and ham soup, reheated on a cold day.  My wife makes big batches and we freeze it in two-people sized packs.

Perfect! Was just thinking about what soup batch to make for the freezer, and I haven't made pea and ham for ages. Thanks

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #1469 on: June 16, 2019, 11:51:31 PM »
Flying downhill on the curvy sidewalk when riding home from work....just riding the bike in general, really. Not very original, but the bike thing is really something special.

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1470 on: June 17, 2019, 12:12:45 AM »
Started using a fancy scented bar soap I got for my birthday last year. Feels like the ultimate luxury.

I just started buying these bars.

https://albertanaturalproducts.com/en-ca/index.php/soaps.html

I just LOVE them and they are only $2.99 and so nice.  I've now bought 4 different flavors and they each serve a different use from a nice conditioning bar (Goat Milk) to a body scrub replacement (Orange Cinnamon) to a morning pick me up (Spearmint Garden) & a mild antiseptic (Tea Tree Poppy Seed).  I am also very attracted to the fact that they are sold with NO packaging.

They are "local" to me and much cheaper than farmer's market bars the same size that sell for $8.

It's nice to enjoy the simple things.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1471 on: June 17, 2019, 10:24:47 AM »
Took a ten mile bicycle ride with our kids one evening over the weekend. Then a 9 mile the following evening. Along the way we saw deer a couple of times. Folks waved to us from their porch. A load of folks in a Jeep out for a ride all gave us waves and hellos. Saw thousands of fireflies on the ride home.

DW had an incredible tasty dinner waiting for us.

Looked at Google Maps this morn and have mapped out an all afternoon bicycle ride far into the country. DW is not a long distance bike rider (yet) but I'll leave her with the bike rack on the family car in case we need to call for a flat tire rescue. We've lived in this town for years but for some reason I never mapped out rides in this direction.

These are fun country roads with light traffic.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 10:38:40 AM by Just Joe »

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1472 on: June 17, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »
I finally got a garlic press. It was cheap, and probably unnecessary, but now I don't have to get gross sticky garlic bits on my hands while trying to dice it super small.
I like my garlic mincer, which is probably the same thing. It's a pain to get clean but less of a pain than those "gross sticky garlic bits on my hands".

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1473 on: June 20, 2019, 12:43:54 PM »
I like my garlic mincer, which is probably the same thing. It's a pain to get clean but less of a pain than those "gross sticky garlic bits on my hands".

Garlic lovers!  I had to share this easy way to remove the skins with a knife. Not the crushing way you would think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/c1hkfx/speedpeeling_garlic/

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #1474 on: June 20, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »

Garlic lovers!  I had to share this easy way to remove the skins with a knife. Not the crushing way you would think.

As a dedicated garlic lover - I have to try this.  I have never seen that before.  Thanks.

I usually do the flat of the knife crush routine, or if I am going to freeze the cloves, then I peel laboriously by hand. 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1475 on: June 24, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »

As a dedicated garlic lover - I have to try this.  I have never seen that before.  Thanks.

I usually do the flat of the knife crush routine, or if I am going to freeze the cloves, then I peel laboriously by hand.

An even easier way is to put them in the microwave for a few seconds, and they will just slide right out of the skins. 

I have an Oxo garlic press, and I love it.  I use it all the time. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1476 on: June 24, 2019, 02:11:51 PM »
+1 recommending the OXO garlic press. I hate mincing garlic.

Otherwise, I’m planning to spend a whopping $5 tonight to sing in a 1-night choir. It’s a major piece that several friends and I recently performed with our own choir, and we’re excited to sing it again.

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #1477 on: June 27, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
Listening to podcasts.  I learn a ton about health, current events, classes, history, interviews (on about any topic) audiobooks, old radio theatre.  Where else would you learn about the mechanics of fire-engines, ice-climbing, dulcimer groups, and people's amazing life experiences. When I write to podcasters, they always write back and sometimes even want to interview me (!) Funny.

This is a good answer. I find podcasts to be extremely entertaining and make almost any activity seem like fun time. True crime and interview based ones are generally my favorite, but I've consumed dozens of different ones. I can't listen to them at work, but they are great for yard work, house work, cooking, cleaning, exercising, etc. A few friends have or had podcasts and it almost feels like hanging out to listen to those ones.

Right on. My bike ride to work is almost exactly one hour--perfect for listening to a full episode of my favorite podcasts. I feel like I am somehow cheating the rest of the world when I arrive to work my brain intellectually primed, armed with increased cerebral blood flow and an hour's worth of deep thought.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1478 on: June 28, 2019, 05:40:20 AM »
Listening to podcasts.  I learn a ton about health, current events, classes, history, interviews (on about any topic) audiobooks, old radio theatre.  Where else would you learn about the mechanics of fire-engines, ice-climbing, dulcimer groups, and people's amazing life experiences. When I write to podcasters, they always write back and sometimes even want to interview me (!) Funny.

This is a good answer. I find podcasts to be extremely entertaining and make almost any activity seem like fun time. True crime and interview based ones are generally my favorite, but I've consumed dozens of different ones. I can't listen to them at work, but they are great for yard work, house work, cooking, cleaning, exercising, etc. A few friends have or had podcasts and it almost feels like hanging out to listen to those ones.

Right on. My bike ride to work is almost exactly one hour--perfect for listening to a full episode of my favorite podcasts. I feel like I am somehow cheating the rest of the world when I arrive to work my brain intellectually primed, armed with increased cerebral blood flow and an hour's worth of deep thought.

How do you manage to focus on podcasts while biking?  I'd love to do that, but I'm afraid to take any of my attention off the road with the crazy drivers around here.  Do you have mostly bike paths along your commute?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1479 on: June 28, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »

When I walk to work, it is 1 hour and 10 min each way. I also listen to podcasts, some scientific, some financial, some just telling a story. It is a nice way to be entertained while being active.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 01:44:35 AM by Linea_Norway »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1480 on: July 01, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
Last night, a generous scoop of strawberry ice cream from a local ice cream parlor and an evening stroll through a riverfront park. I love summer.

SpaceCow

• Stubble
« Reply #1481 on: July 04, 2019, 12:40:41 AM »

How do you manage to focus on podcasts while biking?  I'd love to do that, but I'm afraid to take any of my attention off the road with the crazy drivers around here.  Do you have mostly bike paths along your commute?

I mostly ride on residential streets and sidewalks during my commute, but for the most part I am able to multitask decently. I have a small bluetooth device that hooks on my ear which allows me to preserve my hearing. There are still times when I wish I could rewind 30 seconds back though.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1482 on: July 04, 2019, 01:18:44 AM »
I picked a large portions of strawberries from our garden. And there are many left that just need a little more sun. It is an extremely good strawberry year. The plants have also multiplied themselves.

We have some other plants that are not working as well. The secret for good growing is to have them against a south facing wall.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1483 on: July 04, 2019, 07:21:34 AM »
Watermelons are on sale now. The ones grown locally in an area called Nanhui are especially known for their sweetness and juiciness. The locals call this particular strain of watermelon the “8424” type. We bought one today and blended it into fresh watermelon juice. It was refreshing and delicious. We also added it to lemonade, which made it especially delicious. It cost $4 for 3 liters of watermelon juice.

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #1484 on: July 04, 2019, 11:30:19 AM »
Having fresh strawberries from our garden to put in my oatmeal each morning for the last couple of weeks. Bummed that they are coming to an end but our Raspberries are just now starting to come on so..... :-)

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #1485 on: July 04, 2019, 05:17:09 PM »
My commuting route is lined with lilacs in very full bloom. I rode home from work through the perfume of flowers!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1486 on: July 04, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »
There's a special Star Trek exhibit at the local history museum this summer. Lots of props, costumes, and model ships from the various series. We already have an annual membership, so it didn't cost us any extra to geek out for an afternoon.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1487 on: July 04, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »
Various people in our neighborhood spend way too much money on fireworks each summer, which means we can enjoy a decent free show every July 4 just by taking an evening stroll. Tonight, we spotted a group that had particularly good ignitables; one of them may well lose some fingers tonight, but they seemed to be having fun.

LilyFleur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1488 on: July 07, 2019, 04:21:55 PM »
one bean tostada from Taco Bell. Easy beans, extra lettuce, extra cheese, extra sauce.

I grew up on Taco Bell. In high school, I ate tostadas for lunch. They were 25 cents back then. That worked because my mom gave me $2 a week for lunches.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1489 on: July 07, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »
Sitting on the couch at my son's house, listening to him play piano (beautifully) in another room.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1490 on: July 07, 2019, 11:18:02 PM »
A bowl full of big, ripe strawberries from our garden. I still find it amazing that they just grow there by themselves and that the plants multiply by themselves.

Yesterday I watched a TED talk that talked about happiness. The speaker had every day for a whole year thought well about what she was most grateful for and taken a picture of it. That taught her to look at the world in a different way and become happier.

This thread has had a bit of the same effect on me, just finding the little/cheap things that make you happy. But I haven't been able to notice something on a daily basis. I will from now on for myself do this more consequently and try to find something every day. I'll try to find some suitable app on my phone to register it in.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 11:23:59 PM by Linea_Norway »

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1491 on: July 08, 2019, 12:39:47 AM »
Afternoon tea at the Crowne Plaza. Total cost: $2.50 for a taxi. We splurged on transportation rather than taking a bus as it was a difference between a 10-min car ride versus an hour-long bus ride.

My friend got a coupon for free afternoon tea for two. We were happy to help her use the coupon. Now DD is happily enjoying the children’s play zone, and I’m happily enjoying the air conditioning and quiet atmosphere.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1492 on: July 08, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
A bowl full of big, ripe strawberries from our garden. I still find it amazing that they just grow there by themselves and that the plants multiply by themselves.

Yesterday I watched a TED talk that talked about happiness. The speaker had every day for a whole year thought well about what she was most grateful for and taken a picture of it. That taught her to look at the world in a different way and become happier.
That's an awesome idea.  As a family, we gather at the end of each day for a prayer, and then each name one thing we're grateful for.  It's a fantastic way to end the day!

FunkyChopstick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1493 on: July 08, 2019, 03:53:20 PM »
The library and playing soduko.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1494 on: July 08, 2019, 06:04:02 PM »
Giggling and laughter around the dinner table. Dinner is ready very, very soon. I can't wait.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1495 on: July 08, 2019, 06:06:38 PM »
Cast iron pans.  I love everything about them. 

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1496 on: July 08, 2019, 09:00:39 PM »
Making something out of 'nothing';  a full meal from leftovers, making a new item out of scrap fabrics, a mailing pouch from plastic shopping bags, etc. Trash to treasure!

hal

• Stubble
« Reply #1497 on: July 08, 2019, 09:13:27 PM »
Made a TON of bolognese sauce today -- enough to put a whole batch in my freezer "souper" cubes, which I love.
And roasted brussels sprouts... my favorite.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1498 on: July 09, 2019, 12:12:11 AM »
...As a family, we gather at the end of each day for a prayer, and then each name one thing we're grateful for.  It's a fantastic way to end the day!
Aww, I love this, zolo! This might be my very favorite comment on this thread.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1499 on: July 09, 2019, 01:40:12 AM »
Yellow bananas (exactly the right ripeness) available at work for free. I eat lots of them.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!