Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939020 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #1300 on: January 28, 2019, 05:04:51 AM »
Going to our local HS sporting events. Just on a whim and sooooo bored because were in Midwest Freeze lock my one DS was going to go the the Girls varsity BB game. Never been. Went and it was quite entertaining.

+1 to that. When our first child was about 1, our local girls varsity High School team was playing in the state championship. There was this sophomore phenom that was supposed to be great to watch. We knew know one, but it didn't matter.

Best game I have ever been to. The opposing team just shut down the phenom, and the rest of the team stepped up. They won after about 4 lead changes in the 4th quarter on a buzzer beater 3 pointer.

I couldn't hear for about an hour. Well worth it.

Yea similar experience was ours. Our HS wasnt ranked but played the # 4 ranked team in the state and there was a girl 3 or 4 D1 Colleges were there to watch on the opposing team. Our HS shut her done and won by like 17. So loud and fun. Between the band and the student section with there chants I was just glad to be sitting on the other side of the gym!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1301 on: January 28, 2019, 05:32:47 AM »

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1302 on: January 28, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »
Watching hummingbirds collect milkweed fluff to line their nests.

Listening to my kids play Monopoly with my husband.

Making crispy paprika chickpeas in my vintage cast-iron skillet that I thrifted for .99 a decade ago.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1303 on: January 29, 2019, 02:27:19 PM »
-Conversations that happen on road trips. I read somewhere that the best conversations with your teens/kids happen in the car, & it's true! We had a failed ski trip a few weekends ago due to weather, but had some amazing conversations with the kiddos.
-Quieting my brain for a few minutes when meditating. So refreshing in the day to day distracted world I normally occupy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1304 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:50 AM »
Catching up with friends. Hearing how their projects are going.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #1305 on: January 30, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »
Having your cat waiting patiently for you to sit down to eat breakfast (at the computer in my office) and then immediately jumping up and curling up on your lap to go to sleep. (This does make it difficult to get to work on time - having sleeping kitty on lap and it's time to get going - go to work and disturb kitty, or let kitty sleep and not go to work ...)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1306 on: February 03, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
Three days of sunny, warm weather in January. 50s and 60s!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1307 on: February 03, 2019, 09:48:59 AM »
Three days of sunny, warm weather in January. 50s and 60s!

+1. Although it is surreal to swing from -13°F to +50°F within a 4-day period.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #1308 on: February 05, 2019, 04:17:18 PM »
Being able to help out a guy with a flat tire and a broken jack. First time we had used the jack for our van but worked like a charm as his small SUV was nowhere near the same weight class. So two cheap things that make me happy for the price of one

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1309 on: February 05, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »
The weather surprised me and they are calling for mid-70s F tomorrow! Of course I'll be at work... Dang it! :)

If I wasn't demo'ing a big project tomorrow, I'd call in sick with "cabin fever" or something.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1310 on: February 06, 2019, 01:05:15 AM »
This weekend I met a guy who was wearing his long johns (indoors) with a short woolen thing with trousers over it. He said it had belonged to his grandmother and was many decades old. His aunt had adjusted it, so that it fit his body. We were all amazed to hear that a woolen garment was still fully functional after so many decades. I felt happy hearing that someone reuses such an old garment during his winter trips.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1311 on: February 06, 2019, 04:07:23 AM »
This weekend I met a guy who was wearing his long johns (indoors) with a short woolen thing with trousers over it. He said it had belonged to his grandmother and was many decades old. His aunt had adjusted it, so that it fit his body. We were all amazed to hear that a woolen garment was still fully functional after so many decades. I felt happy hearing that someone reuses such an old garment during his winter trips.

That's cool @Linda_Norway. Was it a "union suit" with a flap in the back, like this?   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1312 on: February 06, 2019, 04:28:15 AM »

That's cool @Linda_Norway. Was it a "union suit" with a flap in the back, like this?

No, there was no flap in the back. More something like this:
https://www.lanullva.no/lanullva-tynn-ullboxer-off-white
But then much older with thicker wool.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1313 on: February 06, 2019, 04:41:11 AM »

Ah, got it.  Just the short bottom, not the whole body.  (I guess we don't have a word for that garment in English that I know of.  It's not a union suit, and I don't think it's long johns since they are short.  I guess wool boxers? is as close as we can come.  Or maybe we should just call them "short johns" haha ). That is very impressive that it has lasted that long and is still being used.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 04:44:17 AM by Trifele »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1314 on: February 06, 2019, 04:58:56 AM »

Ah, got it.  Just the short bottom, not the whole body.  (I guess we don't have a word for that garment in English that I know of.  It's not a union suit, and I don't think it's long johns since they are short.  I guess wool boxers? is as close as we can come.  Or maybe we should just call them "short johns" haha ). That is very impressive that it has lasted that long and is still being used.

The ones that I linked to look very comfortable for CC skiing trips in low temperatures. I was looking for something like that myself several years ago and ended up buying 2 pairs of 3/4 long johns in much thinner wool. But these look very tempting...
But being Mustachian, let's not buy them, as I don't really need them. There are always clothes that will look tempting for various reasons.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1315 on: February 18, 2019, 09:35:36 PM »
This is more a free thing that made me grateful:

10.30am: GP appointment for cervical screening test and routine breast exam. GP found a lump in my breast and made me a same-day appointment for an ultrasound and mammogram at a radiology clinic. Cost of GP appointment and cervical screening test: $0.

1.30pm: breast ultrasound. Got the results on the spot, everything is normal, no mammogram needed. Cost of radiology appointment: $0.

So in less than four hours I had a possible health problem detected and cleared, and it cost me nothing.

Lots of Australians are complaining about health care in this country because health insurance premiums are set to rise again in April, but we are so fortunate.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1316 on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:26 PM »
That's a great one, @mustachepungoeshere - and fantastic that you got the all clear!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1317 on: February 18, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
Using my late Dad's mug for my tea.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #1318 on: February 19, 2019, 10:27:43 AM »

A beautiful example of the important things in life...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1319 on: February 19, 2019, 02:49:44 PM »

My mom sewed a fleece hat for me several years ago, before she passed away.  It looks somewhat silly, but it's warm, and I like it, so I wear it.

jojoguy

• Bristles
« Reply #1320 on: February 19, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »

Soooooo good! Add some chicken or beef makes it even better.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1321 on: February 19, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »

My mom sewed a fleece hat for me several years ago, before she passed away.  It looks somewhat silly, but it's warm, and I like it, so I wear it.

It's so special to have something made for you by a loving parent.

Not quite the same thing, but I have some of my Dad's stories he printed and signed for me and I cherish them now.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1322 on: February 20, 2019, 08:18:02 AM »

Oh man. I can’t eat those anymore because of celiac disease but yes, those are the king of packaged ramen.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1323 on: February 21, 2019, 08:08:44 AM »
Getting free solar heat by opening the blinds.

Saving my heat pump by keeping the house cool in winter and just heating my bedroom with inexpensive portable heater.

Spread (clean and unused) cat litter on icy sidewalk. Don't have cats anymore so it's good to make use of the cat litter, instead of throwing it out.   

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:12:24 AM by slackmax »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1324 on: February 21, 2019, 08:41:50 AM »

Having a cold and using my late dad's white cotton handkerchief. One that I gave him many years ago. He wrote our last name on it with a Sharpie in shaky old man's printing. God, I miss him. RIP, Pops - you were a good man.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #1325 on: February 21, 2019, 02:02:17 PM »
ESPN+ for 4.99 if you go through MLS. I like all sports and You get everything including the 30 for 30's and other great shows. My kid wanted for X-mas and really was a good deal. Goes up though and probably done with it.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1326 on: February 21, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
Basmati rice. I don't know why I don't make it more often, it doesn't take any more effort than plain rice and it always feels like a treat.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1327 on: February 21, 2019, 06:03:45 PM »

Having a cold and using my late dad's white cotton handkerchief. One that I gave him many years ago. He wrote our last name on it with a Sharpie in shaky old man's printing. God, I miss him. RIP, Pops - you were a good man.

I use my Dad's hankies, partly because I'm practical (why should they go to waste?) and partly because I know he would have found it funny. Having one your father wrote on must be even more special <3

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1328 on: February 21, 2019, 10:59:43 PM »

+1. I am sure not good for my health but it is perfect on cold evening in winter. I made mine spicy + 2 egg.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1329 on: February 25, 2019, 12:35:10 AM »
On thursday night we saw an owl flying over the road in front of the car. I see owls very seldom, so that was nice.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1330 on: February 25, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
Walked a bit this morning. Cool air bordering on cold. Very mild this winter here. I don't usually walk in the morning. Usually walk out of our house, hop in the car and park 150 ft from the door of my work place. Mornings are often hectic. Not this morn. Have had a few minutes this morn to drink my coffee in peace at work as I follow up on emails and check MMM. Caught up on work projects for the moment.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1331 on: February 25, 2019, 09:17:22 AM »
Replaced the battery in my old Casio G-shock myself, and managed to get it working without too much fuss. :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1332 on: February 25, 2019, 10:15:51 AM »
A $10 bucket of mastic.  There's something therapeutic about slathering the sealant on all the duct joints with a paint brush, without having to worry about whether it looks good.  I'm gradually working through all the joints I can reach in our basement, hoping to improve airflow to some of the rooms that don't seem to get enough.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1333 on: February 25, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
I have a book to identify a certain type of mushrooms, Russula. Everytime I find an unknown mushroom, I need to read all descriptions and compare them because the book doesn't contain a determination key. Now I have finally put all the characteristics for each species in an excel sheet. Now I am creating my own determination key.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1334 on: February 25, 2019, 03:40:24 PM »
I actually thought about this thread the other night while I was lying in bed listening to rain outside and the cat snoring beside me. That's a very good combination of sounds.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1335 on: February 27, 2019, 10:45:02 AM »
Funny I was just reflecting on this yesterday, when after a morning of reading and writing, I went out for a little XC ski in the local park.
(Yes, I drove 5 minutes to the park, when I could have figured out a way to strap the skis to my winter bike. But hey, fresh snow and slow clearing of the bike paths made it safer. Got some groceries on the same trip. But anyway . . .)
-cheap vehicle, a 10 year old hatchback with only 130,000k on it. Paid for. Cheap to run. Makes me happy!
-cheap skis, actually free, a neighbour was chucking them out because they are "obsolete." They have 3-pin bindings which work just fine. Makes me happy.
-cheap, actually free, ski trails along the river at the local park. Sunshine. Kinda cold (-15), but you can dress for that. Makes me happy.
-then back at home afterward, listening to choral music on my top of the line (in the 1990s!) stereo, bought used of course, nearly free and very very good-sounding. Makes me happy.
Everything that went into a perfect afternoon COULD have been VERY expensive: a "safer" SUV with AWD, up-to-date skis and gear, a multi-thousand dollar new stereo. But none of that would have made it any more fun. (And of course, I would have been at work paying for it instead of outside in the sunshine.)

retiredat58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1336 on: February 28, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1337 on: February 28, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
tonight I went to the local brewery 4 blocks away for free live music with some friends. I rode my bike there, and used a free beer coupon for my drink! Free night, and so good for the soul after a really long/cold winter of feeling a little reclusive.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1338 on: February 28, 2019, 09:36:18 PM »
Today, I had a quiet moment to myself while at work. I'm savouring the moment right now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1339 on: February 28, 2019, 11:47:32 PM »
I actually thought about this thread the other night while I was lying in bed listening to rain outside and the cat snoring beside me. That's a very good combination of sounds.
OMG, my cat snores, too!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1340 on: March 01, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »
OMG, my cat snores, too!
Quiet little squeaky snores are the best.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1341 on: March 01, 2019, 12:02:10 PM »
A tire on our car that kept going flat is finally fixed. Was nice to come outside and not see a flat when I needed to go somewhere.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1342 on: March 01, 2019, 12:11:45 PM »
On my Friday off, doing a hike with a new friend who doesn't work (for medical reasons). The weather was really nice. We went to a new place, walked through a hidden valkey full of snow, exciting. Had lunch with a thermos bottle and packed lunch.

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1343 on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:42 PM »
Spent a weekend afternoon sitting in a cushy beanbag chair, sipping a mug of tea, and enjoying the drumming of the rain outside.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #1344 on: March 02, 2019, 05:03:25 PM »
Taking my group of middle school special needs students to Legally Blonde, the musical, performed by a local youth theater organization. It was amazingly well done & I got hugs from former students. Watching my students enjoy an afternoon with peers, away from their parents absolutely warmed my heart on this cold & very snowy March afternoon. They were so excited about having an afternoon out.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1345 on: March 02, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »
OMG, my cat snores, too!

My cat snores like a 400 pound sealion. No delicate little snores at all. I actually got it checked out at the vet when he was a kitten. My friend's huge husky has a cute little 'wuffle fluffle' kind of snore. Doesn't really match the body at all!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1346 on: March 02, 2019, 11:23:02 PM »
OMG, my cat snores, too!
Oh, hers are completely not quiet or little or squeaky. They do make us, and any guests who hear them, laugh, and laughter is good for you, right? Therefore, if cats are good for you, the snoring cats are the best.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1347 on: March 03, 2019, 01:46:44 AM »
OMG, my cat snores, too!
Oh, hers are completely not quiet or little or squeaky. They do make us, and any guests who hear them, laugh, and laughter is good for you, right? Therefore, if cats are good for you, the snoring cats are the best.

Nothing like a snoring cat!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1348 on: March 03, 2019, 04:27:45 AM »
OMG, my cat snores, too!

Reading this exchange was cheap and delightful
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 07:06:06 AM by Parizade »

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1349 on: March 03, 2019, 06:58:11 AM »
OMG, my cat snores, too!

Reading this exchage was cheap and delightful

ditto, reading this was my cheap happy thing for the day

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!