Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938977 times)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #950 on: July 07, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
Watching a great World Cup game (on TV) with friends.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »
Going for a gelato with my 6 year old at the local gelato place.  Euro 1.60 a cone (3 flavors plus cream on top) and the most delicious gelato I've ever had.  They make it out the back with all natural ingredients. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #952 on: July 08, 2018, 02:53:29 PM »
Days like today, my wife and i sat near the lake and watched our two youngest fished and had a few beers watching the boats , people watch etc..

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #953 on: July 08, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
free:
-going out for a walk
-a sunset
-getting rid of useless things in my house or on our property, bonus points if we can sell them. Being born and raised in NYC, other than family/friends and financial things, I value nothing more than uncluttered space.
-just being with my wife
-anytime I check my account balances and see I've earned money by doing nothing except saving/investing

cheap:
-a delicious homebrew or a bottle of wine that someone gave us as a gift.
-homemade dinner made by the wife

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #954 on: July 09, 2018, 10:00:26 AM »
Watching people in my rearview mirror sing along with the radio with complete abandon. Totally makes me smile.

Weeding. No, really. It's mindless, meditative AND productive.

My kids going out of their comfort zones - trying a new food, taking on a leadership role they're a little scared of, reading a book they didn't think they'd like but end up joining the fandom :)

Used books.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: July 09, 2018, 02:15:31 PM »
Impromptu picnic lunches with my son. I always keep a blanket or old beach towel in my car for just such occasions!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #956 on: July 10, 2018, 03:31:09 AM »
Weeding. No, really. It's mindless, meditative AND productive.

I find weeding very difficult. We strew out seeds of wild flowers in our flower patch. How do I know the difference between a wild flower and a weed? And a weed is after all only a plant growing in an unwanted place.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #957 on: July 10, 2018, 04:26:23 AM »
Getting a free diagnosis of our El Cheapo car. My colleagues has 2 theories. One theory we can check and repair ourselves, the other theory needs repair, probably by a professional.

Mon€yp€nny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #958 on: July 10, 2018, 04:15:49 PM »
You know what made me happy the past days? How the whole world connected and cared about those boys and their coach in Thailand.  We should have a minute of applause worldwide, like we have a minute of silence when large disasters happen and people die. Applause for everyone involved, that they survived and that we finally agreed and cared about the same thing for once. Of course we should also applaud the diver that lost his life trying to save the boys. I have read there were 50 Thai divers and 40 from all over the world.
More positivism.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #959 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »
I spent a lovely morning with an old friend and her adorable daughter.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #960 on: July 10, 2018, 07:03:12 PM »
Swimming swimming in my swimming pool

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #961 on: July 10, 2018, 08:22:29 PM »
-Dinner outside with my husband, putting our patio table to good use
-Finally achieving a milestone. I haven't run consistently in years, and have been trying to get to three miles without stopping, so I can join my friends in our half marathon training. Did it today. Felt amazing!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #962 on: July 10, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »
Taking my kid to the park.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #963 on: July 11, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
Last week, watching our local July 4th fireworks.  From the deck I built last year with my own hands.
-Finally achieving a milestone. I haven't run consistently in years, and have been trying to get to three miles without stopping, so I can join my friends in our half marathon training. Did it today. Felt amazing!
Congrats on the progress thus far!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #964 on: July 11, 2018, 11:40:18 AM »
Thanks, @zolotiyeruki !

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #965 on: July 12, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »
Taking my lunch to the park across the street from work every chance I get.  It's nice to get out of the building and nap in the government issue grass that's so much softer than my own!

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #966 on: July 23, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
Recently got a bike and have really enjoyed biking to work - I paid $5 for access to the building's bike cage, but I've been using the free rack just outside the cage more often since I can shave a few minutes off of fighting with the lock to the cage, ha ha! But it's nice to have a spot if I arrive too late for the free rack.

I get about 20mins of cardio a day from the ride, and I get free parking.

But beyond that, I've started enjoying more and more random bike rides. There's so many lovely parks and spaces near my house I never knew about when I drove around. Plus, I'm smack between two farmers' markets! I usually buy things when I go there, but there's times when I go where I don't spend a dime and I just enjoy the atmosphere, talk to my favourite vendors and cuddle all the dogs I can get my hands on.

chiefsuave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #967 on: July 24, 2018, 06:03:14 AM »
Recently got a bike and have really enjoyed biking to work - I paid $5 for access to the building's bike cage, but I've been using the free rack just outside the cage more often since I can shave a few minutes off of fighting with the lock to the cage, ha ha! But it's nice to have a spot if I arrive too late for the free rack.

What was the biggest hurdle transitioning to biking to work? I've been thinking about for a while now.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #968 on: July 24, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
Re biking to work: Consider an ebike if you live somewhere hilly. Made such a difference for me.

Re cheap and happy: seeing our dog get SO EXCITED about a walk. She loves to walk and she also loves to jog along when I bike. After a recent bike repair I think she was more excited than I was to put in a mile or so.

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #969 on: July 24, 2018, 02:50:08 PM »

What was the biggest hurdle transitioning to biking to work? I've been thinking about for a while now.

Mine was honestly just getting a bike. I didn't want to spend $300 to get a new one. I ended up being able to use my mom's old bike.
I also bought a rack, panniers, bell, and helmet since I didn't have those.

From there, I took it out the first weekend I had it and did a dry run of the bike commute all the way to the bike garage.

I didn't do the whole "build up to it" that seems to be common advice. Mostly because bus tickets cost about $3 each and busing actually takes longer than biking. I have only done maybe one perfect 5/5 days of biking, but usually I bike 3-4 out of the 5 days. I sometimes still drive to work, but only if I'm super-late in the mornings. The commute home takes twice as long as the bike commute if I drive.

My commute is only 4km and 90% is either painted bike lane or separated bike lane. Going home, it's 50-100% depending on the route.

chiefsuave

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #970 on: July 25, 2018, 04:17:16 AM »

Mine was honestly just getting a bike. I didn't want to spend $300 to get a new one. I ended up being able to use my mom's old bike.
I also bought a rack, panniers, bell, and helmet since I didn't have those.

Stateside I live in Northern NY where it snows a lot and temps are not ideal but still worth a shot. Especially during the nice summer months.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #971 on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:38 AM »
Seeing a guy across the street picking up trash :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #972 on: July 30, 2018, 05:46:50 AM »
Family reunions. This one was probably the last with a favorite uncle (cancer sucks), but he was feeling well enough to come out for the whole day and it was wonderful to see him. I also had the happy surprise of spending time with my last living great-uncle and great-aunt, both of whom are in their mid-80s and don't always make it to events.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #973 on: July 30, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
Family reunions. This one was probably the last with a favorite uncle (cancer sucks), but he was feeling well enough to come out for the whole day and it was wonderful to see him. I also had the happy surprise of spending time with my last living great-uncle and great-aunt, both of whom are in their mid-80s and don't always make it to events.
So much this.  My parents always regretted the fact that my siblings and I didn't know our cousins very well, so they have sponsored biannual reunions to help us all reconnect and make sure the cousins get to spend time together.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #974 on: July 30, 2018, 08:26:23 AM »
So much this.  My parents always regretted the fact that my siblings and I didn't know our cousins very well, so they have sponsored biannual reunions to help us all reconnect and make sure the cousins get to spend time together.

It's a great tradition. We've been doing ours since 1945 (my dad's cousin remembered hearing that WWII had ended on route to the first reunion). I admit to getting a little misty watching the littles take turns at the piñata because I remember doing that with my cousins 30-odd years ago, and my dad did the same 60-odd years ago.

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #975 on: July 30, 2018, 09:47:57 AM »
Stateside I live in Northern NY where it snows a lot and temps are not ideal but still worth a shot. Especially during the nice summer months.

I'm up in Western Canada, so we get about 7ish months of cold weather and sometimes snow (I feel like our recent winters have been pendulum-ing between thick fluffy snow Oct-May or a brown Christmas and frigid slush from January to May, the former is my favourite and the latter my bane).

I'm enjoying our super-sunny summertime right now, but come October I expect it to be colder. I do much prefer sweater weather, so the October-November months I think will be fun. I worry a bit about snow, but this winter I chatted with a cashier at my local store who bikes in and she recommended I just let out air in my tires for some extra grip. I'll have to plan for a longer bike commute, but I want to try it out.

I did walk to work in the winter when I first moved to my new place, and it's a nice walk in winter. I find it not too bad, especially since I bought new boots and a coat last winter.

My plan is to bike/walk as much as I can and only take the bus or my car if it's really, really horrible. Considering busing to work is the same cost as parking, it's not much of financial savings over driving.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #976 on: July 30, 2018, 12:49:56 PM »
Watch the hummingbirds drink nectar from the lavender.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #977 on: July 30, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »
A skype conversation with our grand kids every morning.
Watching the birds, deer, turkeys, rabbits and other wildlife out the window.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: July 30, 2018, 02:02:02 PM »
An unexpected meeting with and old friend while walking through the city.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #979 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:58 PM »
Time with my husband. We work opposite hours, so a whole day together is a rare treat.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #980 on: August 01, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
Walking three miles round trip during lunch time to grab a giant $1 iced coffee from McD's, the weather has been pretty awesome lately for walks.

My coworkers are starting to question why I'm so tan when they see me.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #981 on: August 01, 2018, 05:19:56 PM »
-Meditating. I'm just getting started, but the peaceful time is really amazing
-Convincing team members to do a walking meeting vs sitting at a desk. For all of my 1:1s, I try to do walking meetings. It's great to get a smidge of exercise, but I also find it makes conversations easier

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #982 on: August 01, 2018, 05:41:01 PM »
Free morning teas, lunches and after work drinks.  My lunch will still be good today after yesterdays freebies.

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #983 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:27 PM »
Knowing I have cash in the bank for a rainy day.
Puppy cuddles.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #984 on: August 01, 2018, 11:06:21 PM »
People watching!

Watching young people flirt and remembering my youth with a mixture of fondness and horror..:)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #985 on: August 02, 2018, 07:43:17 AM »
Watching young people flirt and remembering my youth with a mixture of fondness and horror..:)
I'm with you there.  We just got back from a family reunion, and after spending time with the college-aged kids, I am SO glad I don't have to "play the game" any more.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #986 on: August 02, 2018, 12:19:44 PM »
And lets hope neither of us ever have to.. I wouldn't have a clue now..:)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #987 on: August 03, 2018, 07:41:12 AM »

Getting over my fear of the cars I shared the road with. We don't have good roads for bicycling here. Seldom a shoulder, never a bike lane, no paths. The ride in to work was a deal killer partly b/c I was out of shape, partly b/c it is so hilly. On the plus side anyone doing that ride would be ready for bike competitions in just a few short months.

I went with an ebike kit and added it to my bike. Big improvement. Now I can maintain 15 mph most of the time and don't feel as vulnerable on the hills where I was walking or making 2mph in granny low gear. Plus I arrive in decent condition to work rather than needing time to recover.

Bonus: talk to other people. Just recently I had a conversation with a neighbor who keeps different hours but works near me. He told me about a whole different route that I knew about but never considered bicycling. Yep, lots better. A couple segments that I expected to be scary (big roads) aren't b/c the traffic is far lower volumes than I expected.

My fitness has improved slowly with the ebike as I have reduced the motor boost and slowly gotten stronger. I haven't lost much weight surprisingly. Show me that my evening meal/snacks are the problem b/c my breakfast and lunches are light.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #988 on: August 03, 2018, 07:43:54 AM »

I'm up in Western Canada, so we get about 7ish months of cold weather and sometimes snow (I feel like our recent winters have been pendulum-ing between thick fluffy snow Oct-May or a brown Christmas and frigid slush from January to May, the former is my favourite and the latter my bane).

I'm enjoying our super-sunny summertime right now, but come October I expect it to be colder. I do much prefer sweater weather, so the October-November months I think will be fun. I worry a bit about snow, but this winter I chatted with a cashier at my local store who bikes in and she recommended I just let out air in my tires for some extra grip. I'll have to plan for a longer bike commute, but I want to try it out.

I did walk to work in the winter when I first moved to my new place, and it's a nice walk in winter. I find it not too bad, especially since I bought new boots and a coat last winter.

My plan is to bike/walk as much as I can and only take the bus or my car if it's really, really horrible. Considering busing to work is the same cost as parking, it's not much of financial savings over driving.

Add fenders to your bike if you don't have any. Keeps the road grime off of you. Planet Bike makes some universal fit fenders that have served me well.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #989 on: August 03, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
Discovering a cool hidden gem of a park in the middle of a residential area.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: August 03, 2018, 01:16:59 PM »
Having a refrigerator in your room when you are away on business.

Followed up with finding a reason anyone would pay money for hard boiled peeled eggs vs a box of eggs.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #991 on: August 03, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »
A snack of raw almonds, dark chocolate, and a fresh orange.

Antonn Park

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Blue Flower Editing
« Reply #992 on: August 06, 2018, 05:35:45 PM »
Walking my dog a few times a day.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #993 on: August 06, 2018, 08:13:06 PM »
Discovering poems on the radio.
Trusting strangers on the internet.
Reading great books from the MMM best book ever thread.
Taking pictures of my cute kid.
The feeling of freshly-brushed hair.
Playing speed scrabble.
Pumpkin pancakes.

Life is good :)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #994 on: August 06, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
Being caught in a torrential downpour. I didn't have to go anywhere but home, and it felt good after such a hot humid day. Plus, my skinny jeans and canvas shoes were so completely drenched that hilarity ensued.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #995 on: August 06, 2018, 09:30:32 PM »
Making pesto with basil from my garden.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #996 on: August 06, 2018, 10:10:40 PM »
Going for a walk and discovering a whole new library I had no idea existed.

@Exflyboy Gosh yes, I really enjoy watching the Youth of Today smacking into the world- they're great and I am *so pleased* to have moved on from that stage. Bless'em.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #997 on: August 07, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
Voting. Today was primary Election Day in my state, and my US House district will finally have representation again (we’ve been unrepresented in DC since December).

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #998 on: August 08, 2018, 12:30:58 AM »
So my toddler and I have a game we started a long time ago where I cover his face and enthusiastically ask “where’s the baby?!?!” followed by removing the cover and saying “there he is!!!”  Later we stopped saying “baby” and started using his name as a way to teach him that, anyway....  now he’s talking, and we still play the game except when he pulls the cover off his head HE says “there he is!!!” and it hits so hard in the heart that I can’t make myself correct him.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #999 on: August 08, 2018, 06:19:53 AM »
So my toddler and I have a game we started a long time ago where I cover his face and enthusiastically ask “where’s the baby?!?!” followed by removing the cover and saying “there he is!!!”  Later we stopped saying “baby” and started using his name as a way to teach him that, anyway....  now he’s talking, and we still play the game except when he pulls the cover off his head HE says “there he is!!!” and it hits so hard in the heart that I can’t make myself correct him.

This is the cutest, and I'm going to be so sad the day our toddler doesn't want to play peekaboo like this anymore <3