Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 940355 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #700 on: March 30, 2018, 07:58:02 PM »
Watching a great film on Netflix.

...such as??

Just watched Annihilation. So good!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #701 on: March 30, 2018, 10:04:39 PM »
The Little Free Libraries (take a book, leave a book) all around my neighborhood. https://littlefreelibrary.org/

Just found a memoir of a paleontologist and read it this afternoon. Tomorrow while walking the dogs, I'll take it and a decluttered book to a different Little Free Library to keep things moving around.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #702 on: March 30, 2018, 10:34:15 PM »
The Little Free Libraries (take a book, leave a book) all around my neighborhood. https://littlefreelibrary.org/

Oh I LOVE my local Little Free Libraries! There are a heap within walking distance of my house :D

chicwhitesox1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #703 on: March 31, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
Free stuff makes me happy. like free coffee and free breakfast in the office

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #704 on: March 31, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »
- A cup of homemade cold brew coffee with some oven-baked french toast, using up the halfprice raisin turkish bread, topped with fresh banana, maple syrup & walnuts. So many gold stars for my husband and my son for this one today :)

- The dog-and-child friendly park out back of our house- we get to see all the people and dogs going to and from, and there are generally some pups that would welcome a pat and a ball-throw. Last weekend there was a free blues concert there from 3-6 and it was such a lovely atmosphere and great crowd.

- This morning's workout on the homegym we found on the last hard rubbish day.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #705 on: April 01, 2018, 06:34:55 AM »
Listening to podcasts while cleaning the kitchen.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #706 on: April 01, 2018, 11:46:10 AM »
The sunsets I can watch right from my window every day. If they're exceptionally pretty I get out onto my balcony to take pictures.

vern

• Pencil Stache

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #708 on: April 02, 2018, 03:49:13 AM »
Friends doing silly, cool April Fools pranks.

Free DVDs of a series I'd been meaning to show Mr Happier, via Buy Nothing.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #709 on: April 03, 2018, 06:24:50 PM »
Just discovered I only drank half my beer with supper a half hour ago, so that's like free beer, right? :)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: April 03, 2018, 11:42:02 PM »
Game night at a co-worker with potluck food and leftover beers from his birthday last month.

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #711 on: April 04, 2018, 04:53:45 AM »
Visiting my Nana. She's almost 90. We sit and chat and do jigsaw puzzles together. She can no longer do them easily herself but she always has one set up for me to work on while I'm there.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #712 on: April 05, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »
A thing at work: doing a test together with a developer on the other side of the world and discovering that the many major issues we found were not that bad after all and most had a logical explanation.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #713 on: April 05, 2018, 09:09:07 AM »

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #714 on: April 05, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
The Decorah eagle cam: https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/

This is awesome! We have a bald eagle nest within view of our house, but it is up in a tree so we don't get this fabulous "in the nest" view! Our eagles also seem to have at least one fledgling - we see the adult feeding something in the nest.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #715 on: April 05, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »

This is awesome! We have a bald eagle nest within view of our house, but it is up in a tree so we don't get this fabulous "in the nest" view! Our eagles also seem to have at least one fledgling - we see the adult feeding something in the nest.

It really is awesome -- totally addictive.  We've been watching a lot the last few days; their last egg hatched late last night.  This pair is very experienced -- they've been together since 2007, and the chick that hatched last night is #31 for them.   :)   

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #716 on: April 05, 2018, 02:54:43 PM »
"Naked Ladies"
When we bought our house, 37 years ago, the guy next door kept a flower garden, in her yard, so the invalid woman who lived here could see them out her window. There were 5 Naked Lady clumps.
A Naked Lady is a very old fashioned plant, sprouts up a clump of leaves that look like daffodil leaves on speed, that die down about May.
Then in August, it sends up one stem, about 3 ft high, with 4-5 lily looking pink flowers on it.

I've been splitting the clumps in the fall, and now have 39 clumps growing. Some are old, will have 7 flower stems!

They have some official scientific name, but to me they are known as 'Naked Ladies"  I walk outside a lot in the spring, usually with a smile on my face.

LilMissMinimalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #717 on: April 05, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »
Waking up to a clean house.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #718 on: April 05, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »
I love doing things that normal people spend insane amounts of money on for free or close to it.

Examples of my recent exploits..

Removed three trees by climbing/delimbing first then felling. One was overhanging the house/barn and two were VERY close to 20kV overhead powerlines.

Redesigned and made parts for my Wife's late model car to get around serious design errors (the dealer simply replaces parts for $700 each time it fails.. which is about every 3 or 4 years).

Rinse/lather repeat on 3 issues.. all done for some ingenuity on my part.

New roofs on my three buildings.. I don't like it but its easy to do.

Built an entire boom sprayer rig for the tractor to be able to spray the 5 acre pasture for weeds.

Come to think of it I have never hired a contractor or mechanic.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #719 on: April 05, 2018, 07:56:16 PM »

Built an entire boom sprayer rig for the tractor to be able to spray the 5 acre pasture for weeds.

I've done this too for our 25 acre property.  A salvaged landrover with no brakes or dashboard, an empty pallecon, about $50 worth of parts.  It starts, runs and sprays!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #720 on: April 06, 2018, 01:43:30 AM »

I've done this too for our 25 acre property.  A salvaged landrover with no brakes or dashboard, an empty pallecon, about $50 worth of parts.  It starts, runs and sprays!

Thats even more inventive.. Well done! I at least had the luxury of the three point hitch and a PTO..:)

rosarugosa

• Bristles

SmokeySnow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #722 on: April 06, 2018, 09:02:51 AM »
cheap salsa dance lesson (free with canned food donation) and latin social dance night

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #723 on: April 06, 2018, 09:21:30 AM »

I am mesmerized!

Me too!
 Thank you for sharing this @Trifele I watched last night, and first thing this morning thought "wonder how the eaglets are doing?"

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #724 on: April 06, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »

I am mesmerized!

Me too!
 Thank you for sharing this @Trifele I watched last night, and first thing this morning thought "wonder how the eaglets are doing?"

Haha -- me too!  The re-wind feature is cool.  You can catch up on what you missed on the live stream.  The nighttime infrared is neat too. 

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #725 on: April 06, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
Page 15 of this topic

There's 'Basenji' and 'rosarugosa'

Before my car accident, I was active in breeding and showing basenjis.  When I decided that I could breed in a way that would help the breed, I had to choose a kennel name. I chose Rugosa. (Basenjis have wrinkled foreheads, are considered one of the least domesticated breeds in the AKC and I wanted to retain the dogs quirks and wild spirit, while still being a welcome addition to a human family. )

I was also a flower gardener and knew that 'rosa rugosa'  was the wild form of the rose - hardy, let them go and they'll take over.  Rugosa refers to the wrinkled leaves.

My first show dog, my foundation bitch, was Rosa Rugosa. She was typical basenji, but with the temperament that I wanted to be the base of my kennel.

It made me smile seeing 'Basenji' and 'rosarugosa' on the same page, only a few messages apart.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #726 on: April 06, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
Gathering wild edible plants (clover, dandelion, linden, rose, etc)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #727 on: April 06, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »
Gathering wild edible plants (clover, dandelion, linden, rose, etc)

In May I will be going to a course to learn this. I have a small book already, but I think some of the plants are a bit too similar. It will help to get some instructions.

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #728 on: April 06, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »
Page 15 of this topic

Before my car accident, I was active in breeding and showing basenjis.  When I decided that I could breed in a way that would help the breed, I had to choose a kennel name. I chose Rugosa. (Basenjis have wrinkled foreheads, are considered one of the least domesticated breeds in the AKC and I wanted to retain the dogs quirks and wild spirit, while still being a welcome addition to a human family. )

I was also a flower gardener and knew that 'rosa rugosa'  was the wild form of the rose - hardy, let them go and they'll take over.  Rugosa refers to the wrinkled leaves.

My first show dog, my foundation bitch, was Rosa Rugosa. She was typical basenji, but with the temperament that I wanted to be the base of my kennel.

It made me smile seeing 'Basenji' and 'rosarugosa' on the same page, only a few messages apart.

Hey WH, I'm glad I helped make you smile!  RR has been my screen name and online identity since 2009 when I created a profile on Deadnet (a Grateful Dead site).  My DH had used one of our garden pics for a profile pic (sunflower) and I was looking for a cool pic to use and found a nice shot of a RR from our garden.  I decided that could also be my name since it sounded like a kind of cool Italian hippie chick, lol.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #729 on: April 06, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
Page 15 of this topic

Woof!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #730 on: April 06, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
"Naked Ladies"
When we bought our house, 37 years ago, the guy next door kept a flower garden, in her yard, so the invalid woman who lived here could see them out her window. There were 5 Naked Lady clumps.
A Naked Lady is a very old fashioned plant, sprouts up a clump of leaves that look like daffodil leaves on speed, that die down about May.
Then in August, it sends up one stem, about 3 ft high, with 4-5 lily looking pink flowers on it.

I've been splitting the clumps in the fall, and now have 39 clumps growing. Some are old, will have 7 flower stems!

They have some official scientific name, but to me they are known as 'Naked Ladies"  I walk outside a lot in the spring, usually with a smile on my face.

Wanting to see what these look like, I instantly thought, “Oh! I should google ‘Naked Ladies’”

HA! Guess I’ll just have to imagine them  ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #731 on: April 06, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »
Page 15 of this topic

Wow! That’s really special :)
The universe works in mysterious ways...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #732 on: April 06, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »
"Naked Ladies"

Wanting to see what these look like, I instantly thought, “Oh! I should google ‘Naked Ladies’”

HA! Guess I’ll just hdave to imagine them  ;)
Belladonna Lilies

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #733 on: April 07, 2018, 12:50:11 AM »
"Naked Ladies"

HA! Guess I’ll just hdave to imagine them  ;)
Belladonna Lilies

Heh thanks!!

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #734 on: April 07, 2018, 02:40:43 AM »
Feijoa season, yum, yum! This may be a NZ thing, feijoas are a delicious autumn fruit that grows easily in many parts of the country. When they are in season they are so abundant people bring bucket loads to work, and share them round the neighbourhood. Feijoa crumble, feijoa muffins, feijoa chutney, feijoas everywhere. After  month or two they are finished and its a year to wait until the next crop.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #735 on: April 07, 2018, 09:23:06 AM »
Bumping against a curious word and finding there's an extensive thread discussing it on Language Hat: http://languagehat.com/feijoa/

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #736 on: April 07, 2018, 05:20:29 PM »
I don't normally buy books, but I bought $18 worth of books today. My library has a book sale every ~6 months and they sell donated hardbacks for $2 each and paperbacks for $1 each. These are generally extremely good condition, practically brand new in some cases. I buy books typically at every book sale to support the library. I feel I get tons of worth out of the library and I like to support them beyond just the local taxes I pay. I always budget myself to $20 for each sale, so I don't spend too much but get a bunch of things to read!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #737 on: April 08, 2018, 03:53:59 AM »
Not really happy, but makes me content: our second-hand bought composting bin is doing a good job with temperatures now being above 0C. When I open the lid and pour the contents from last winter around, the damp comes off. What lays under has already turned to black earth.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #738 on: April 08, 2018, 04:02:23 AM »
Evening walks with my family.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2018, 05:11:32 AM »
Not really happy, but makes me content: our second-hand bought composting bin is doing a good job with temperatures now being above 0C. When I open the lid and pour the contents from last winter around, the damp comes off. What lays under has already turned to black earth.

+1.  Compost in general makes me very happy.  I love the smell of a cooking batch of compost -- it's like the essence of life. 

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2018, 09:09:15 PM »
Going for an evening walk with my wife and adult daughter, and happening to stumble on one of my favourite singers, Missy Higgins, doing a sound check the night before her concert at a local beach.  About 20 of us got a short impromptu concert, which we really really enjoyed.  Missy Higgins seemed to like our feedback too.  A pity the tickets were $140, or I may have been tempted to go to the concert.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:36 AM »
I went to bed early last night and woke up refreshed and chipper. My cat curled up next to me and just as we were falling asleep, he gave one of those contented little sighs that completely melts my heart. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #742 on: April 09, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
A good, not expensive meal, cooked by DH.

DH repaired a broken bifold door in our house by himself.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #743 on: April 09, 2018, 03:37:46 PM »
DH repaired a broken bifold door in our house by himself.
In the same vein, fixing a major problem with an inexpensive part, without having to call a technician or tradesman.  For example, a week ago our water heater's relief valve started leaking severely.  A quick trip to the hardware store and a $15 part fixed it.  I was worried it would turn into an $800 water heater replacement at first.  It's 12 years old, so I also ordered a new anode rod.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #744 on: April 09, 2018, 03:59:58 PM »
Practicing my violin! I played for 12 yrs, then took a 16 yr break, and am now getting back to it. I bought the Suzuki book and CD, but now so the practice I want is free.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: April 09, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
Much-needed rain.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #746 on: April 10, 2018, 04:05:20 AM »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #747 on: April 10, 2018, 04:06:43 AM »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #749 on: April 10, 2018, 06:38:28 AM »
Practicing my violin! I played for 12 yrs, then took a 16 yr break, and am now getting back to it. I bought the Suzuki book and CD, but now so the practice I want is free.

Thanks for this. I need to dust off my old violin and see what I can do. If you have an orchestra nearby that could be a fun little side gig! I still have my suzuki books and my kid is learning piano (future accompanist! ), so no reason not to play again.