Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 939022 times)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #600 on: February 21, 2018, 09:14:54 AM »
Listening to my budgies sing in the morning.

They're so adorable!

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #601 on: February 25, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
Finding a new accessible green space in a busy city.

(Simpson Park in Miami, if you were wondering.)

frugaldevil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #602 on: February 25, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
Sitting on the back deck and watching my son play on an unseasonably warm day.

+1

Had an amazing Saturday watching all the neighborhood kids bike, rollerblade and scooter around. Chatted with the neighbors and enjoyed the early spring.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #603 on: February 25, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »
Sitting on the porch early in the morning listening to the night sounds (owls and tree frogs) transition to morning birdsong.

Mild spring weather that is just right.  Sleeping with the windows open for the first time since last fall.

Working outside til you're tired and dirty, then coming inside for a warm shower and drying off with a clean fluffy towel.

The Mary Worth comic strip. 

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #604 on: February 25, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »
Slowly...... VERY slowly cooking down maple sap into maple syrup. About 40 gallons will yield about 1 gallon of syrup, and will take about 20 hours to cook down. I am using the top of an old gas grill, taken off it's stand, and placed on the ground. I make 2 fires, 1 on each side, and use the middle to add wood. I used 2 old canning kettles that needed replacement as the containers to boil down the sap.

Gas grill was literally garbage, and the wood I am using is from 3 maple trees that came from our rental property. They were dropping limbs onto the roof and needed to be taken down. I was going to be charged $750 to haul the wood away, so I split it myself and hauled it to my home. I figure it is about 5 or 6 full cords.

Total cost was the gas to split and haul it, but I "saved" $750 by taking the wood instead of paying to have it hauled away.

I must admit it feels a little cannibalistic to make maple syrup with maple wood, but what a great day outdoors, and maple syrup...YUM :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #605 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »
Beware the Maple Syrup Federation!

(Just watched Dirty Money on Netflix. The episode about the Maples Syrup Heist)

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #606 on: February 25, 2018, 05:39:03 PM »
Beware the Maple Syrup Federation!

(Just watched Dirty Money on Netflix. The episode about the Maples Syrup Heist)

Wow.... I never knew. I think I should switch to cooking down milk instead of sap. You know... for the safety of the family :)

Somehow, I don't think it will taste the same.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #607 on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:32 AM »
Friends who really "get it" and you can just be honest with about the crappy stuff as well as the good.

Husband coming home on time or even early!!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: February 26, 2018, 02:10:59 AM »
The rain dumping on Sydney over the past couple of days.

Glorious.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #609 on: February 26, 2018, 03:25:52 AM »
Spending a week in our mountain cabin with really good weather and good snow for cross country skiing.

Being allowed to fill up our cans with drinking water at the neighbouring farm.

Seeing 3 mooses right in front of our cabin for half an hour. Seeing 2 more mooses during a ski trip. Seeing lots of birds: the usual suspects at our feeding tray, but also quite a few rock ptarmigans during ski trips and an overflying western capercaillie and a unidentified predator bird.

asosharp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #610 on: February 26, 2018, 04:05:59 AM »
- Snagging a cheap bargain.
- Cheap delicious food and shopping on holidays in Malaysia.
- My weekly Friday/Saturday night take out at my favourite Malaysian restaurant where the food actually tastes like home (however I do not enjoy the massive queues for tables or take away... but I guess that's the price of being popular and serving authentic cuisine)
- Organising and/or attending church events
- Free lectures
- Free concerts
- Library books
- Free movies from the library

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #611 on: February 26, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
Trued up my bike's back wheel in anticipation of riding it to work.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=truing+rear+bike+wheel+zip+ties

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:52 AM »
Coffee prices in Italy (€1.50 for a cappuccino compared to the €2.50 I pay at home)

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #613 on: March 01, 2018, 01:46:19 AM »
100% germination from a $3 packet of basil seeds. Its late in the season, but I'm hoping for a long mild autumn, and a few more months of fresh pesto.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: March 01, 2018, 06:24:15 AM »
Filing my tax return and see how much I get back this year :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #615 on: March 01, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Today I did something illegal. I want to own a certain out of print book that is very popular amongst my group of people. It is not possible to buy second hand, because there are so few copies left and the publisher doesn't want to print more copies or sell the right to someone else.
I was able to borrow the book from the library and spent a few hours at work after working hours to scan it as pdf file. 700 pages... Now I finally have my own copy in digital version, which is much better than not having it, as it all about the content and not the book itself.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #616 on: March 01, 2018, 11:43:07 AM »
Netflix. 8.99 per month.
Walking habit I'm creating. 10k steps a day.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #617 on: March 01, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »
Today I did something illegal. I want to own a certain out of print book that is very popular amongst my group of people. It is not possible to buy second hand, because there are so few copies left and the publisher doesn't want to print more copies or sell the right to someone else.
I was able to borrow the book from the library and spent a few hours at work after working hours to scan it as pdf file. 700 pages... Now I finally have my own copy in digital version, which is much better than not having it, as it all about the content and not the book itself.

I want to know the topic!!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #618 on: March 01, 2018, 07:03:46 PM »
Sunrise and sunset.

Home-cooked meals, cooked by others ;) and made with love.

Walks by the ocean.

Blogging.

Selling stuff I own.

High quality cotton products.

MrMoneyMullet

• Stubble
  • Spending in the front, savings in the back.
« Reply #619 on: March 01, 2018, 08:55:02 PM »
This week, while it's been warm enough during the day to melt the snow, and cold enough at night for the runoff to refreeze: there are tons of little "ice shelfs" and cool frozen ice bubbles along the road and sidewalk. Perfect for me and my 6-year-old to crunch / stomp on the walk to and from school. Makes me feel like a kid again.

It's a little like crunching fallen leaves in the autumn but WAY more satisfying!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: March 02, 2018, 12:58:00 AM »

I want to know the topic!!

A thick mushroom book with Norwegian text and good pictures. The best mushroom book available in Norway. Considered "the bible". Out of print since 2001.

YHD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #621 on: March 02, 2018, 07:24:28 AM »
A sick day spent wallowing under clean crisp sheets and all the hot tea hubs can make

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: March 02, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Watchin the sunset from the train.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 02, 2018, 10:48:04 AM »
This morning I pressed coffee from freshly-ground beans, made French toast from good sourdough bread (with cinnamon in the batter), then topped it with real butter and good maple syrup. Then I took my time eating breakfast and drinking coffee while reading the news.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #624 on: March 02, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
The $1 Big Mac I ate for lunch today!

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #625 on: March 02, 2018, 02:32:05 PM »
Perhaps this will make other crazy cat ladies and their cats happy! 

Did you know there are videos on YouTube for cats?  I turn them up on my Roku TV and my cats are enthralled.  They are especially fond of Paul Dinning’s channel.  There are peacocks, budgies, bald eagles, all kinds of beautiful and sweet sounding nature to enjoy in your living room with your house panthers.  Makes me happy, makes my cats happy. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #626 on: March 02, 2018, 04:51:23 PM »
Perhaps this will make other crazy cat ladies and their cats happy! 

Did you know there are videos on YouTube for cats?  I turn them up on my Roku TV and my cats are enthralled.  They are especially fond of Paul Dinning’s channel.  There are peacocks, budgies, bald eagles, all kinds of beautiful and sweet sounding nature to enjoy in your living room with your house panthers.  Makes me happy, makes my cats happy.

YouTube videos, in general, are pretty freaking awesome! Check out the Slow Mo Guys: https://m.youtube.com/user/theslowmoguys/playlists?shelf_id=9&sort=dd&view=50

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #627 on: March 03, 2018, 02:19:18 PM »
Fika with a friend.  And "fika" beeing the Swedish term for a cup of coffe, preferably with something sweet  on the side...   :)

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: March 05, 2018, 03:22:34 AM »
Free cappuccino from the building next door (my own building doesn't have cappuccino in their coffee machine)

Jenny Wren

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #629 on: March 05, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »
Vanilla almond milk. $3 makes me 10 days' worth of mock vanilla lattes. Coffee makes me happy. Vanilla lattes make me happier.

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #630 on: March 05, 2018, 11:02:15 AM »
The first few cuts on brand new fabric shears. My husband keeps using my fabric-only scissors on paper and other things, which does not make me happy.

I also love flooring it on my sewing machine. I don't get to floor it in my car too often, so the desire is fulfilled in the comfort of my home. Going full-speed on a sewing machine while listening to my favorite Swedish melodic death metal band makes me feel like less of a granny.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 05, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »
The first few cuts on brand new fabric shears. My husband keeps using my fabric-only scissors on paper and other things, which does not make me happy.

How annoying. Do you have enough normal scissors available in convenient places? If he can easily find a proper scissors, he might not look for yours. And can you write the work "sew" on yours?

rosarugosa

• Bristles
« Reply #632 on: March 05, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
Blowing bubbles.  On a recent warm, springlike day, I went out in the sunshine and blew bubbles with one of those plastic wand thingies.  I always keep some of that stuff around, and no, we don't have any children. :)

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #633 on: March 05, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
Broccoli. Why do I so often forget how much I love it?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #634 on: March 05, 2018, 06:50:54 PM »
Weather warming up, rode my bike two days in a row.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #635 on: March 06, 2018, 12:55:29 AM »

That was one of two truths universally accepted in my house growing up.

I could borrow my mum's sewing scissors, but if it wasn't for fabric, thread, ribbon, or interfacing, she would put me up for adoption.

(The other was that she would always win the "who can play their music the loudest" competition.)

My only suggestion - if you can't get him to respect your scissors - is to hide them. Leave an old pair where he knows where they are, then hide the new ones.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: March 06, 2018, 04:36:18 AM »

I could borrow my mum's sewing scissors, but if it wasn't for fabric, thread, ribbon, or interfacing, she would put me up for adoption.

(The other was that she would always win the "who can play their music the loudest" competition.)

My only suggestion - if you can't get him to respect your scissors - is to hide them. Leave an old pair where he knows where they are, then hide the new ones.

This is also an option. :-)

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #637 on: March 06, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »

I'm seriously contemplating a padlock, I want to keep these new. I don't know what goes through his noggin when he's using our other scissors around the house, but he feels the need to hide them. We can almost never find our "all purpose" scissors when we need them. It's like how I have a second set of cheap knives for him to use in the kitchen because he isn't allowed to use my Wusthof collection after I found them dirty and dull days after he used them. I'm very protective of my sharp things.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: March 06, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »

I'm seriously contemplating a padlock, I want to keep these new. I don't know what goes through his noggin when he's using our other scissors around the house, but he feels the need to hide them. We can almost never find our "all purpose" scissors when we need them. It's like how I have a second set of cheap knives for him to use in the kitchen because he isn't allowed to use my Wusthof collection after I found them dirty and dull days after he used them. I'm very protective of my sharp things.

http://irishmammies.ie/product/good-scissors-tea-towel/

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #639 on: March 06, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
Bringing spaghetti souffle to work.  I made it on the weekend using a few eggs, some flour and some milk and butter.  Soooo good warmed up in the microwave.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #640 on: March 08, 2018, 01:52:31 AM »
Today at work we got the question whether anyone wanted to join a free first aid course after lunch. The course is organized by another division, but they have some places left for us to jump in. I volunteered and got accepted. I think this is a good personal skill to have. And I could use an update after my previous first aid course at the age of 10.

kei te pai

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #641 on: March 10, 2018, 12:36:14 AM »
Chatting to neighbours while I garden by the footpath. I really like knowing most of the neighbourhood and counting a lot of them as good friends.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2018, 02:04:48 AM »
My Friday night swim - the quietest hour of the week usually.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #643 on: March 11, 2018, 05:26:49 PM »
Listening to music on a nearly empty bus.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #644 on: March 12, 2018, 12:22:30 AM »

My train of thought on reading this:

Ooh, I wonder if @HappierAtHome is back at work.
*Checks post history, finds new journal*
First day back!

Hope it went well in addition to bus party. :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: March 12, 2018, 03:47:01 AM »

My train of thought on reading this:

Ooh, I wonder if @HappierAtHome is back at work.
*Checks post history, finds new journal*
First day back!

Hope it went well in addition to bus party. :)

Thanks @mustachepungoeshere - it was an excellent first day back! :D

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:07 AM »
Chopping vegetables with a freshly sharpened chef's knife.

Early morning toddler snuggles.

Coffee and toast from homemade bread, with Kerrygold butter and good local honey.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #647 on: March 12, 2018, 05:02:42 AM »
Homemade bread. So cheap and so delicious.

Eating a home-cooked meal that tastes as good as (or better than) a restaurant meal - this always make me happy because I feel pride in something I made, I save a bunch of money, and it tastes good!

I agree. There’s  nothing better than homemade bread. I’ll add pizza dough to this list which is basically flat bread. I love the way a properly fermented and hydrated pizza dough looks and feels. It’s soft and supple like a floured butt cheek. The taste and consistency we get from our dough is better than any pizza shop within an hours drive. People have offered to pay us to make them pizza and deliver it to them. Yup, I’m totally bragging about my pizza skills.

Bread & dough = pure cheap happiness

brookebcollin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #648 on: March 12, 2018, 05:31:00 AM »
Received a message from my boyfriend that he would cook my favourite curry and special pasta on next Wednesday after a hard working day <3

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: March 12, 2018, 07:29:31 AM »
Early morning toddler snuggles.
^^ So much this.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!