Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 938966 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #500 on: January 27, 2018, 06:14:51 AM »
Walking down to the road in the pre-dawn morning to get the newspaper, and hearing the rooster crowing from the farm across the valley.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: January 27, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
I just made Indonesian martabak manis.

It's cheap to make, delicious and an excellent excuse to get in touch again with all my Indonesian friends by sending them a picture and asking how they are doing.

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #502 on: January 28, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
I just made Indonesian martabak manis.

Oo, I've only had that in restaurants. Do you have a recipe?

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: January 28, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
Seeing this mug at Starbucks.  I didn't buy it (even though it was on clearance) because I don't like the handle, BUT I'm going to use my ceramic pen to make one of my own on a plain colored mug I already have at home.  I think it's an excellent reminder to keep on my desk at work.

acanthurus

• Stubble
« Reply #504 on: January 28, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »
Butter. Room temperature, kept in a butter dish, non-store-brand butter.

I'm in my 30's and I had no clue how different brands of butter could be. Even the ubiquitous Land-o-Lakes stuff is good. And the price difference between blah store brand and a good but still common brand is maybe $1/lb. For a little more you can get European butters with higher fat content that have usually been cultured.

It doesn't matter much for baking, but an extra dollar for a month's worth of butter is super cheap and worthwhile if you butter your toast.

All that time I ate Great Value brand butter... jesus the years of flavor I missed out on. Spend that extra dollar, and get a butter dish.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: January 28, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »

I'm in my 30's and I had no clue how different brands of butter could be. Even the ubiquitous Land-o-Lakes stuff is good. And the price difference between blah store brand and a good but still common brand is maybe $1/lb. For a little more you can get European butters with higher fat content that have usually been cultured.

It doesn't matter much for baking, but an extra dollar for a month's worth of butter is super cheap and worthwhile if you butter your toast.

All that time I ate Great Value brand butter... jesus the years of flavor I missed out on. Spend that extra dollar, and get a butter dish.

This is my butter dish and I <3 it.  It was $6.99 at World Market, and it is always full of delicious Kerrygold butter.  It makes me smile every time I use it.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: January 28, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »
I can't believe I just now discovered this thread! Reading through it has been so much fun.

On my list right now:

My son asking to "kiss the baby" (I'm expecting) and talking to my belly.
Having a freezer well-stocked with meals for the nights I'm too tired to cook (and to keep my husband fed during my upcoming trip)
Toasted, homemade sourdough bread with good butter.
Watching the sunrise from our deck.
Wearing the perfectly beat up/broken in boots I bought 8 years ago - they only get better with age.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: January 28, 2018, 06:01:27 PM »

This is my butter dish and I <3 it.  It was $6.99 at World Market, and it is always full of delicious Kerrygold butter.  It makes me smile every time I use it.

Gorgeous butter dish, @chaskavitch.

I had to switch from using a flat butter dish with a domed lid to a tub-style dish with a flat lid after 90 per cent of my guy friends proved themselves incapable of placing the lid over the butter. Instead, I'd find the lid jammed on and in the butter. >.< 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: January 29, 2018, 05:54:17 AM »

Gorgeous butter dish, @chaskavitch.

I had to switch from using a flat butter dish with a domed lid to a tub-style dish with a flat lid after 90 per cent of my guy friends proved themselves incapable of placing the lid over the butter. Instead, I'd find the lid jammed on and in the butter. >.<

Yeah...I can see that happening once our toddler is old enough to get his own butter.  At least the butter is still delicious!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #509 on: January 29, 2018, 06:15:06 AM »
Friendship! Free, yet priceless.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #510 on: January 29, 2018, 06:33:58 AM »

mmmmm, Irish butter :-)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #511 on: January 29, 2018, 07:14:15 AM »
Friendship! Free, yet priceless.

Especially frugal friends!

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #512 on: January 29, 2018, 11:35:44 AM »
Using MS Paint to doctor pictures my mom sends me of my brother and the wee beastie he loves.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #513 on: January 29, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
My Amco stainless steel measuring cups. I really fancy measuring cups for some reason (good childhood baking memories?). I've had them for 10+ years and they're just flawless and beautiful and I love baking with them.

Santa Ana winds

Watching the bees forage on the African blue basil

Fanfiction. Free on AO3 and some of the stuff in my main fandom is written by talented humans who must be slumming from their real jobs as authors or professors or some such
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:45:26 PM by jengod »

ElizaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #514 on: January 29, 2018, 12:40:59 PM »
My Amco stainless steel measuring cups. I really fancy measuring cups for some reason (good childhood baking memories?). I've had them for 10+ years and they're just flawless and beautiful and I love baking with them.

Measuring cups seconded. I have some bright orange measuring cups/spoons from the 70's that belonged to my grandparents. I love that there are 2/3 and 3/4 cups included in the set. I will never give them up for anything in the world. They've helped me make memorable, perfect meals, and then many many disasters.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: January 29, 2018, 03:34:11 PM »

Measuring cups seconded. I have some bright orange measuring cups/spoons from the 70's that belonged to my grandparents. I love that there are 2/3 and 3/4 cups included in the set. I will never give them up for anything in the world. They've helped me make memorable, perfect meals, and then many many disasters.

Time for me to leave this thread before my dissatisfaction with my measuring cup situation pours out!

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #516 on: January 29, 2018, 04:19:34 PM »
Hot baths, with Epsom salt from Costco.

Water's included in my rent, so it doesn't cost me anything to run a nice, hot bath with tons of Epsom salt. I bought myself a cheap (but really pretty) bath caddy off Amazon for Christmas and I can set up my laptop or my book and just watch/read while I soak. It's so nice.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #517 on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
You enjoy your bath salts.  Isn't that illegal?  :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #518 on: January 29, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »

Water's included in my rent, so it doesn't cost me anything to run a nice, hot bath with tons of Epsom salt. I bought myself a cheap (but really pretty) bath caddy off Amazon for Christmas and I can set up my laptop or my book and just watch/read while I soak. It's so nice.

OMG FREE WATER???? Jealous! I am the bath queen and I hate how much it costs but I just can’t say no.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: January 29, 2018, 07:53:18 PM »
Learning something new that changes everything I thought I knew.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #520 on: January 29, 2018, 11:35:34 PM »

OMG FREE WATER???? Jealous! I am the bath queen and I hate how much it costs but I just can’t say no.

Ooh we have a well with a pump so its almost free... I handn't considered that people actually pay money for water.. How naive is that?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #521 on: January 29, 2018, 11:44:24 PM »
Taking a nap in the middle of the day cus I can..:)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: January 30, 2018, 01:11:58 AM »

Ooh we have a well with a pump so its almost free... I handn't considered that people actually pay money for water.. How naive is that?

We used to have a pump as well, and a septic for the grey water. Now we have a house with communal water where we pay for the water and we pay for an equal amount of water for the sewage system. Even if we drink some of the water or spray it into the garden.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #523 on: January 30, 2018, 03:26:36 AM »
The forecast for the next 5 days is below 30C!!!!!!!! I am so happy about this.

Also, it's really quite cool now so the house is cooling down nicel from the recent heatwave. And we've had heaps of rain for the past couple of days so we won't need to water our garden for quite a while now.

Learning something new that changes everything I thought I knew.

Cool! What new thing did you learn? (if you don't mind sharing)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: January 30, 2018, 03:34:00 AM »

Also, it's really quite cool now so the house is cooling down nicel from the recent heatwave. And we've had heaps of rain for the past couple of days so we won't need to water our garden for quite a while now.

Isn't it glorious?

The cool change is just coming through here.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #525 on: January 30, 2018, 03:39:13 AM »

Isn't it glorious?

The cool change is just coming through here.

It's pissing down here. And the breeze going through the house has a definite chill to it. Bliss! I might even sleep a bit better with these cooler temps.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #526 on: January 30, 2018, 05:36:11 AM »
I read “below 30C” as “minus 30C” and for a second wondered who in their right mind would be glad that it was so friggin freezing cold. Then I realized you’re talking about temperatures being in the 20s and everything suddenly made sense.

My cheap happy thing currently is hanging out under my warm fluffy comforters because it is currently very cold here.

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #527 on: January 30, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »
I read “below 30C” as “minus 30C” and for a second wondered who in their right mind would be glad that it was so friggin freezing cold. Then I realized you’re talking about temperatures being in the 20s and everything suddenly made sense.

My cheap happy thing currently is hanging out under my warm fluffy comforters because it is currently very cold here.

That's 9:30 pm.  Its not getting any cooler tonight.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #528 on: January 30, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »
Went to bed an hour early last night b/c my wake up time is fixed (work).

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #529 on: January 30, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »

Cool! What new thing did you learn? (if you don't mind sharing)

Most recently (as in the past month), that my low carb diet that I've been on for years is dangerous and that a plant-based diet is much better/healthier (though I did lose a lot of weight on the low carb diet, so that was a plus).  It was very hard for me to admit this to myself, as I've always been a pretty heavy meat eater.  As I age I get more and more concerned about these things, seeing relatives get cancer, etc.

All that said, I sort of meant my statement in general -- I love learning something that changes my previous assumptions.  It's a good feeling when you change your mind on something that you were clinging to, almost a freeing feeling.  I'm happy to say I've remained open minded enough that this has happened to me continuously through life.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:48:20 AM by dustinst22 »

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: January 30, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »
Snow mornings or watching a blizzard from indoors

Planning local hiking/camping trips with friends

A writer who uses the english languge with skill

Jumping in lakes on hot days, or cool days (working the senses!)

Spices like cardomom, coriander in cooking and squeezing limes on tacos..

Gerard

• Handlebar Stache
    • Optimacheap
« Reply #531 on: January 31, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
Yes! I used this one and it turned out almost the same as I've had them in Java!
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/indonesian-sweet-martabak-terang-bulan-439412

Thanks, Hirondelle! I think I thought I was asking about something else -- I've had a plainer martabak with coarse sugar in Malaysian restos -- but now I wanna try this one!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #532 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:45 PM »
-A great night's sleep
-Sourdough toast with melted butter
-Getting the perfect ratio of milk in your morning coffee

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
Getting up at O-My-Gosh-fourty-five and going for a hike up the mountain to the west of town this morning with my 13-year old and a few other friends to try to see the lunar eclipse. We saw it leaving the house to drive to the trailhead (about 1/3 eclipsed), then had no moon as we hiked because it was already behind the mountain, then got to the summit and found the moon had disappeared in an unfortunately placed cloud bank. However, we had a lovely hike up the trail with headlamps, a pretty hike down, and were perfectly positioned to watch the sunrise over the eastern part of the state in a blaze of reds and pinks and oranges and yellow.

Got home, and my sweetie had already made the coffee. Plus, by 7 am I had done plenty of exercising for the day, thankyouverymuch.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2018, 07:37:17 PM »
Watching puppets play D&D on Twitch. The hours of laughter are better (and cheaper!) than therapy!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2018, 10:16:11 PM »
Watching last nights super blue blood moon.  Eclipses are always fascinating to watch.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2018, 10:35:21 PM »
Trying out a new recipe and having it turn out perfectly.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #537 on: February 01, 2018, 04:15:54 AM »

This is truly spooky, MBM . . .  I just logged on to post this exact same thing . . . Sourdough toast with melted butter.  I'm having it right now for breakfast.

Another yummy option -- sourdough toast with goat cheese and honey.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #538 on: February 01, 2018, 04:57:51 AM »
Watching last nights super blue blood moon.  Eclipses are always fascinating to watch.

I would have loved to watch it, but we had fog, and the eclipse was a bit too early (5pm), with still daylight present. At a previous a lunar eclipse, we came out of bed at 3:30 AM to watch it.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #539 on: February 01, 2018, 05:55:22 AM »
Yes! I used this one and it turned out almost the same as I've had them in Java!
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/indonesian-sweet-martabak-terang-bulan-439412

Thanks, Hirondelle! I think I thought I was asking about something else -- I've had a plainer martabak with coarse sugar in Malaysian restos -- but now I wanna try this one!

Coarse sugar? Haven't seen that one before I think. Was it the same thick pancake-like structure? Maybe it was just a simpler version indeed. This time I used cheese + nutella + peanuts as a topping, yum.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #540 on: February 02, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »

This is truly spooky, MBM . . .  I just logged on to post this exact same thing . . . Sourdough toast with melted butter.  I'm having it right now for breakfast.

Oooh, yum. One of our favorite appetizers is goat cheese crostini. Mix goat cheese, lemon juice, garlic & thyme. Spread & on lightly toasted bread for 8 minutes. So yum. We top with either thinly sliced cucumbers or pomegranate seeds. Great served with martinis. :-)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #541 on: February 02, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »
Coming home from a long trip & seeing your kids for the first time in a week. Hearing all about their school fun, getting hugs, and just generally soaking in the love. Ditto for your spouse. :-)

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: February 02, 2018, 04:55:02 PM »
Eating homemade empanadas fresh out of the oven for dinner. They’re enough work that I don’t make them often, but very much worth the effort when I do!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #543 on: February 03, 2018, 04:56:33 AM »

Oooh, yum. One of our favorite appetizers is goat cheese crostini. Mix goat cheese, lemon juice, garlic & thyme. Spread & on lightly toasted bread for 8 minutes. So yum. We top with either thinly sliced cucumbers or pomegranate seeds. Great served with martinis. :-)

Mmmmm.  I love martinis.  Thank you for this tip!  I am so going to make those crostini.  Can you help me understand the 8 minutes?   

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #544 on: February 03, 2018, 07:51:09 AM »
Downloading my free Samsung Deal Kindle book each month.

At the moment I don't have so much time to read books, so this one book a month suits me fine and I hardly need to buy/get additional books.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #545 on: February 03, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »

Mmmmm.  I love martinis.  Thank you for this tip!  I am so going to make those crostini.  Can you help me understand the 8 minutes?

@Trifele - you bet. Here is the recipe. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/goat-cheese-crostini Quick & easy

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #546 on: February 03, 2018, 09:43:20 AM »

@Trifele - you bet. Here is the recipe. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/goat-cheese-crostini Quick & easy

Thanks!

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #547 on: February 03, 2018, 12:22:22 PM »
Using the online shopping service at the grocery store. I add things to my grocery list for a couple of weeks and when I’m ready I checkout online, choose a pick up time, drive to the store, and someone brings out the bags and loads them in the car.  This has eliminated virtually all impulse buying so I’m okay with the $5 fee.  I used to shop at 6am on Saturday mornings to avoid the crowds.  This morning I slept in until 7am, made some breakfast, and putzed around the house planning my day.  Went to get groceries and was home with everything brought inside in under 20 minutes.  Best thing ever.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #548 on: February 03, 2018, 11:50:39 PM »
It was nearly 80 degrees today as we strolled through downtown with our visiting guests. Whee! They live in Wyoming, so they were ecstatic.

All meals this weekend will be scratch cooked from my pantry, refrigerator, and freezer. Weekend meals for six with no shopping, score!

I walk DH to work at the crack of dawn each morning. We were thrilled to see the eclipse on Wednesday. We're usually the only ones out, but we ran into our neighbors who had gotten up early just to see the eclipse.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #549 on: February 04, 2018, 06:23:02 AM »
Repairing a wardrobe door with badly running wheels, without buying new wheels. Turned out there was a lot of sticky stuff in the aluminium rail. We took of the door and I cleaned the rails. Now it runs okay.

Cross country skiing in good trails in sunny, but cold weather.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 01:12:00 AM by Linda_Norway »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!