Author Topic: Cheap Things That Make You Happy  (Read 945155 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Cheap Things That Make You Happy
« Reply #3000 on: November 09, 2023, 10:47:04 AM »
A few years ago I bought a short, lightweight set of metal camping utensils -- fork, spoon, and knife.  I carry them everywhere with me in my purse and I've used them so many times.  Every time I do it makes me happy to think of the single use plastic I'm not using.   
Decades ago i thought of buying a foldable titanium spork from eBay that has a butter knife edge on one side of the spoon portion.
So basically a 3-in-1.
but being a guy, i had no easy way to carry it. I'd thought it'd be uncomfortable in my back pocket and would fear it falling out everytime i pull out my keys or phone from my  front pockets.
(that's why i only carry 1 item in each pocket)

Pretty much every dude in my life eventually gets converted to carrying one of these instead of trying to stuff all of their essentials into their pants, which always seems inefficient to me.

https://www.swissgear.ca/en/travel-accessories/small-bags/travel-bags/swissgear-swt0361r-mini-sling-bag-black

Wow.  If guys carried these then they wouldn't load up their wives purses with measuring tapes and such when they go shopping together.  (Or at least there were times when 1/3 of my purse's contents were stuff Ex wanted along for a specific shopping trip.  Maybe other men just wear cargo pants for those trips?)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3001 on: November 09, 2023, 12:11:48 PM »
I've never understood the appeal of one armed backpacks.  Any I've ever tried are objectively worse than the two armed variety - smaller, move around more and don't stay properly fixed to your back, weird shaped for trying to carry things like books, not enough pockets . . . ugh.

If you need a small extra pocket, the fanny pack has been around since the '90s.  If you need more storage, a regular backpack is better.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3002 on: November 09, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »
Sunset over the river. Pink clouds and blue sky over pink and blue water.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)
« Reply #3003 on: November 09, 2023, 08:15:50 PM »
Most guys that I know with a "murse" have a CCW permit and use it to carry their handgun.
Yup.. Fanny pack with hidden easy accessible pocket for your ccw.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3004 on: November 10, 2023, 01:33:56 AM »
I've never understood the appeal of one armed backpacks.  Any I've ever tried are objectively worse than the two armed variety - smaller, move around more and don't stay properly fixed to your back, weird shaped for trying to carry things like books, not enough pockets . . . ugh.

IME (lifetime of using small backpacks and slingpacks as a purse) the diagonal one-armed type is more comfortable and useful.  I haven't noticed any problem with them moving around.  With the diagonal style, you can spin it around to the front to get something out without taking it off (impossible with a two-strap backpack).  Some of the units I've owned have two straps you can zip together, so you can choose either one-armed or two-armed wear.  I always ended up zipping the straps together and slinging it over diagonally.  Just easier.   

For situations where you need more carrying capacity and are ready for a true game changer, check out a lumbar/multisport pack.  I have a Mountainsmith Tour 6 liter that's 30 years old, and that thing is magic. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3005 on: November 10, 2023, 05:00:11 AM »

If you need a small extra pocket, the fanny pack has been around since the '90s.  If you need more storage, a regular backpack is better.

Yes, if your goal is to carry more, then a backpack makes most sense.

If you are just looking to carry keys/wallet/cell phone/glasses/etc, just essential stuff, a backpack is overkill and not as easy to access for wallet and phone.

But yeah, a fanny pack is just a differently oriented small bag, it serves the exact same purpose.

Malossi792

• Stubble
« Reply #3006 on: November 10, 2023, 10:54:31 AM »

If you are just looking to carry keys/wallet/cell phone/glasses/etc, just essential stuff, a backpack is overkill and not as easy to access for wallet and phone.

But yeah, a fanny pack is just a differently oriented small bag, it serves the exact same purpose.
Actually here in Europe most people actually wearing fanny packs wear it like the one you originally linked to should be worn.
Way more convenient that way.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3007 on: November 10, 2023, 01:02:06 PM »

Actually here in Europe most people actually wearing fanny packs wear it like the one you originally linked to should be worn.
Way more convenient that way.

Yeah, my 'purse' is a fanny pack that I wear like a sling bag. Many of my women friends carry essentially the same bag and none of them wear it as a fanny pack.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3008 on: November 14, 2023, 07:07:03 AM »
$5 Meatloaf Monday at the local diner. Certainly not an every week thing but nice on occasion.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #3009 on: November 15, 2023, 03:32:21 AM »

We have a big closet off the kitchen that we use as a pantry for canned goods and whatnot.  I cleaned it out yesterday and reorganized everything.  It made me so happy.   

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3010 on: November 15, 2023, 09:40:58 AM »
Just seeing progress on some of our projects despite everything that interferes!

Also watching eldest demonstrate their know-how about technical subjects they've invested alot of time in.