Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Pay Yourself Back feature  (Read 24161 times)

salt cured

• Bristles
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Pay Yourself Back feature
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2020, 08:50:14 AM »
Reported to be extended later, although categories may change

https://milestomemories.com/chase-pay-yourself-back-extended/

Great news. As a general FYI, I also saw that the CSR is currently offering 10 points/dollar on streaming services and 5 points/dollar on gas stations (until the end of Sept I believe). I must have opted out of their mailing list because I always seem to learn about these promos late.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2020, 03:07:11 PM »
Idea for a new thread, post your hacks to optimize your credit card points. I would start it but I do not follow the credit card guru , we would need someone like dragon car or Seattle cyclone to post their expert understanding of maximizing point values. I just. Open cards get bonus redeem and hope for the best. I was able to get a months worth of groceries covered by my chase Safire bonus, coincidence that I signed up for the card just pre covid.

Thanks for the compliment, but I really consider myself barely past the novice stage in points expertise. I understand cash back percentage deals and make use of those pretty effectively. The real experts know exactly which cards to apply for, and when, in order to get the best possible sign-up bonuses. They also know how to get better deals on their points than simply redeeming them for cash or statement credits.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2020, 04:06:51 PM »
Idea for a new thread, post your hacks to optimize your credit card points. I would start it but I do not follow the credit card guru , we would need someone like dragon car or Seattle cyclone to post their expert understanding of maximizing point values. I just. Open cards get bonus redeem and hope for the best. I was able to get a months worth of groceries covered by my chase Safire bonus, coincidence that I signed up for the card just pre covid.

Thanks for the compliment, but I really consider myself barely past the novice stage in points expertise. I understand cash back percentage deals and make use of those pretty effectively. The real experts know exactly which cards to apply for, and when, in order to get the best possible sign-up bonuses. They also know how to get better deals on their points than simply redeeming them for cash or statement credits.

Same!  I don't regularly follow the credit card blogs, so usually whenever I think I figured something clever it was posted months ago somewhere else.  For example, I stumbled upon the "Chase Trifecta" (https://thepointsguy.com/guide/chase-card-trifecta/) by accident but it's well known in those circles.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 11:15:50 PM »
Anyone else sign up for the Chase Freedom Flex? I snagged it today. 20k Ultimate Rewards points for spending $500, plus 5 points/dollar on groceries for the first year. Seemed like a pretty easy win.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2020, 01:20:20 AM »
Anyone else sign up for the Chase Freedom Flex? I snagged it today. 20k Ultimate Rewards points for spending $500, plus 5 points/dollar on groceries for the first year. Seemed like a pretty easy win.

Thinking of going for the Sapphire Preferred 80k bonus... but I think I have too much open credit with chase and I have to wait another month or so to get around their 48 month bonus restriction from the CSR.  Considering asking them to reduce credit limit on my 4 freedom cards to $5-6k (I kept downgrading to freedom after getting other signup bonuses).  What do yalls think about that plan?  Only worried when good quarter categories roll around I'll have higher utilization on those cards.

Then maybe I'll change the CSP to a flex.  Wife will probably apply for flex and we'll see about her CSR because it's speculated they will need to revamp their benefits to remain competitive against a no-fee flex.

Still waiting for an update on the PYB feature.  Many rumors they will extend or modify it, but no announcements yet.  Getting antsy to burn up my points as travel isn't in the cards for at least a year.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 01:25:24 AM by dragoncar »

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2020, 02:54:22 AM »
80k points is pretty lucrative if you can get it. I looked back at my CSR statements and my 100k signup bonus landed in April 2017, so I have some time left before that 48-month window expires in my case.

I'm also waiting carefully to see what they do about Pay Yourself Back going forward. I did manage to use most of my points on restaurants and groceries, but I'll keep accruing more and it would be good to have something to spend them on going forward. My annual fee is due to post in February. If renewals are back up to $550 by then I'm likely going to use my Doordash credit in January and then cancel.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2020, 07:05:43 AM »

Thanks for posting. Looks like I've thrown about 75k points at the Pay Yourself Back program since July, so it will good to top up the coffers.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2020, 07:13:01 AM »
I'm stoked about the 80k CSP offer. I was planning on getting CSP for the wife in October, so hopefully the offer doesn't get pulled quickly.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2020, 08:44:47 AM »
Ugh I was so excited about the CSP offer. I thought P2 was eligible since he hasn't had a CSP in over 4 years. But I think they changed the terms and conditions.....

"You haven't received a new cardmember bonus for any Chase Sapphire card in the past 48 months." Didn't that used to be specific to the card you were applying to, not the entire family?

I got the CSR in 2/2017 which was only a couple months after it came out if I remember correctly. But with the 48 month exclusion timeline, pretty much anyone who ever signed up for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is ineligible.

jpdx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2020, 10:21:56 AM »
Any word on what the Pay Yourself Back categories will be starting in October?

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2020, 10:24:59 AM »

Thinking of going for the Sapphire Preferred 80k bonus... but I think I have too much open credit with chase and I have to wait another month or so to get around their 48 month bonus restriction from the CSR.  Considering asking them to reduce credit limit on my 4 freedom cards to $5-6k (I kept downgrading to freedom after getting other signup bonuses).  What do yalls think about that plan?  Only worried when good quarter categories roll around I'll have higher utilization on those cards.

Then maybe I'll change the CSP to a flex.  Wife will probably apply for flex and we'll see about her CSR because it's speculated they will need to revamp their benefits to remain competitive against a no-fee flex.

Still waiting for an update on the PYB feature.  Many rumors they will extend or modify it, but no announcements yet.  Getting antsy to burn up my points as travel isn't in the cards for at least a year.

If I were that close, I'd wait the extra month or so to get the CSP and 80K bonus.  I have gotten into the habit of lowering credit limits on other cards before applying for the new card.  IIRC you can do that by SM since I hate talking to people on the phone.
Personally I plan to product change a Freedom to the new Freedom Flex.  I'd rather use that slot for something more interesting...like the CSP in your case. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »

If I were that close, I'd wait the extra month or so to get the CSP and 80K bonus.  I have gotten into the habit of lowering credit limits on other cards before applying for the new card.  IIRC you can do that by SM since I hate talking to people on the phone.
Personally I plan to product change a Freedom to the new Freedom Flex.  I'd rather use that slot for something more interesting...like the CSP in your case.

That do you typically lower your limit to?  I’ve heard $5k is the minimum for visa signature cards.  What should my total extended credit be with chase before I apply for a new card?  I’ve heard people run into issues around $60k but I’m beyond that and unfortunately my last income statement to them was much higher than it will be now.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2020, 02:42:29 PM »
Interesting. I had $71.5k of credit across four cards before applying for the Flex, and was instantly approved for $16.6k more.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2020, 03:40:52 PM »
Interesting. I had $71.5k of credit across four cards before applying for the Flex, and was instantly approved for $16.6k more.

In that case I may not bother with decreasing limits just yet.  I’m close to that but not including business cards

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2020, 08:23:31 PM »

In that case I may not bother with decreasing limits just yet.  I’m close to that but not including business cards

I had a similar experience. $71k across three personal Chase cards and they gave me another 21k on the Flex.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:25:02 PM by salt cured »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2020, 02:06:34 AM »
From my understanding, Chase will generally let you get to around 50% of household income as a total credit limit.

However, I exceeded that during the last year, so I think it's more of a soft cap.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2020, 08:10:22 AM »
Well, it was weird to see 0 points. I used up a whopping $1900 in points via Pay Yourself Back on my Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2020, 11:53:18 AM »

That do you typically lower your limit to?  I’ve heard $5k is the minimum for visa signature cards.  What should my total extended credit be with chase before I apply for a new card?  I’ve heard people run into issues around $60k but I’m beyond that and unfortunately my last income statement to them was much higher than it will be now.

My current open credit with Chase is about half my stated income over 6 cards. I started lowering my credit limits before applying for cards a few years ago.  As I got more cards I noticed that the credit limits on each new card was lower than the last.  For example, my inital card had a limit of 30K, with subsequent cards limits of 20K and falling.  The lowest limit I have on any is 5K. 

If you don't hate phone call as I do, you can always wait to see if rejected and then call reconsideration line to move credit around then.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2020, 08:26:34 PM »

If you don't hate phone call as I do, you can always wait to see if rejected and then call reconsideration line to move credit around then.

Fair enough.  I do hate phone calls, but willing to do it.  I'm more worried that with human eyes on account, they will do an income verification which I assume is just a pain even if you aren't lying.  There have been some reports that Chase has stepped up income verification.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2020, 10:09:23 PM »
So I guess they extended and expanded this.  But I already spent all mah points on frivolous stuff like groceries.

https://milestomemories.com/chase-extends-pay-yourself-back/

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
So I guess they extended and expanded this.  But I already spent all mah points on frivolous stuff like groceries.

That's good news. If that CSP bonus is still around next month, I'm going to grab it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »

That's good news. If that CSP bonus is still around next month, I'm going to grab it.

Do you know all the current limitations on it? I'm getting close to my 48 months since getting a Sapphire bonus, but I'd have to downgrade a current Sapphire card first. Not sure on the rest.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
Thanks for posting the extension :) This is a great option for us so I am continuing to enjoy it.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2020, 09:08:35 AM »
Doesn't look like those extra points for grocery shopping got extended, did it? I haven't been following closely. So just 3x for travel and 3x for dining with my Reserve.

Now that I have used up all $1900 worth of points through Pay Yourself Back, I might shift my spending again. Dining out is obviously still good on the Reserve but I'm moving gas to another card that gives me 2% back.

I'll probably keep groceries but not be too excited about it (i.e. use those grocery gift cards I bought a few months ago). While it is a PYB category, I would only earn 1% in points for groceries. This means I essentially get 1.5% back in groceries. If I spend $100 in groceries, I get 1 point. I can use that 1 point to Pay Yourself Back $1.50 in groceries.

Will have to see if I end up keeping tbe bulk of my spending on the Reserve. 1.5% back is not too bad really. Unless other cards give me better options for whatever reasons.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
Doesn't look like those extra points for grocery shopping got extended, did it? I haven't been following closely. So just 3x for travel and 3x for dining with my Reserve.

Now that I have used up all $1900 worth of points through Pay Yourself Back, I might shift my spending again. Dining out is obviously still good on the Reserve but I'm moving gas to another card that gives me 2% back.

I'll probably keep groceries but not be too excited about it (i.e. use those grocery gift cards I bought a few months ago). While it is a PYB category, I would only earn 1% in points for groceries. This means I essentially get 1.5% back in groceries. If I spend $100 in groceries, I get 1 point. I can use that 1 point to Pay Yourself Back $1.50 in groceries.

Will have to see if I end up keeping tbe bulk of my spending on the Reserve. 1.5% back is not too bad really. Unless other cards give me better options for whatever reasons.

Do you have an Ink Unlimited Card? That's 1.5% cashback, then you can transfer to the Chase Reserve for 2.25% cashback equivalent.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2020, 02:48:58 PM »
Sadly no Ink Unlimited. Not sure if I want to keep hacking for now but if there are some tempting new Chase offers, I may jump on it.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2020, 06:58:56 AM »

Do you have an Ink Unlimited Card? That's 1.5% cashback, then you can transfer to the Chase Reserve for 2.25% cashback equivalent.

@therethere   Is this as simple as using the Ink Unlimited card and then transferring the points to CSR?  I did not know about this... thank you

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2020, 11:02:44 AM »
Mainly posting to follow this thread.

I've been doing light CC hacking using an Amex Platinum for a few years for the travel benefits and just dropped it due to the high cost + no travel due to Covid-19, so the timing was right to jump on the 80k Sapphire bonus.

I applied online, wasn't automatically accepted and received a letter in the mail about a week later "We received your application, please remove the credit lock on your Experian account so we can check your credit", oops, I lifted the lock and called in and was approved about 5 minutes later.

therethere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2020, 08:25:28 AM »

@therethere   Is this as simple as using the Ink Unlimited card and then transferring the points to CSR?  I did not know about this... thank you

Yes, just transfer your points to your CSR card and redeem them from the CSR account. You can transfer points to any person in your household. Most travel hackers make a Chase pipeline, whereas they keep a CSR card for the 1.5x points redemption. You get other Chase cards for the bonus, then transfer the points to your CSR card for 50% more.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2020, 12:56:16 PM »

Yes, just transfer your points to your CSR card and redeem them from the CSR account. You can transfer points to any person in your household. Most travel hackers make a Chase pipeline, whereas they keep a CSR card for the 1.5x points redemption. You get other Chase cards for the bonus, then transfer the points to your CSR card for 50% more.

Thanks @therethere  !

I am familiar with the bonuses and transferring those.  I didn't know about the multiplier effect here.  Good stuff!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
Sweet! I can readily hold off grocery shopping again til November.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2021, 10:40:16 AM »
Got notice that my CSR annual fee is increasing to $550. Don't see it worth keeping at that price, since I don't eat out very often or see much traditional travel in my future.

Is the conventional wisdom to close the Sapphire cards in order to re-earn spend bonuses down the line (I have a regular Sapphire that I should maybe close too).

Any recommendations for a card with no foreign transaction fees?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2021, 10:51:12 AM »
I don't usually close cards, I ask the bank to downgrade it to a no-fee card for the purpose of keeping up my average age of accounts portion of my credit score.

My CSR was originally a CSR, then dropped to a Freedom then got raised back up to CSR and paid for all our groceries for nearly a year on points + pay yourself back.

It's about time to drop it back down again.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2021, 11:19:42 AM »
I don't usually close cards, I ask the bank to downgrade it to a no-fee card for the purpose of keeping up my average age of accounts portion of my credit score.

My CSR was originally a CSR, then dropped to a Freedom then got raised back up to CSR and paid for all our groceries for nearly a year on points + pay yourself back.

I'll have to see if I can drop it down to something. I already have a Freedom, Freedom Flex, and Sapphire.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2021, 01:23:22 PM »

I'll have to see if I can drop it down to something. I already have a Freedom, Freedom Flex, and Sapphire.

You can end up with multiples of those cards.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2021, 01:37:41 AM »

You can end up with multiples of those cards.

There are 5 chase freedom (classic) cards in our household (plus an unlimited and a flex).  I think they are discontinuing the freedom classic so may not be an option.  The freedom flex is a good choice as long as you don't want that relatively low bonus.

Chase has been getting super aggressive with their sapphire products.  I believe you need to wait 4 years now from the last sapphire signup bonus and you not eligible if you currently have any sapphire card.  So yeah, "product change" in industry parlance is probably a good bet if you don't get your money's worth on CSR.

Also note:

If you've had the CSR at least four years, you may qualify for another global entry credit so consider doing that before you product change

For the longest time there were zero retention options for CSR.  It's looking like that changed this year and it's at least possible (if unlikely) that you can get a retention bonus/credit.  It might not be enough to change your mind but you should go into it knowing what you'd accept ($100 credit?  $200?)

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »

There are 5 chase freedom (classic) cards in our household (plus an unlimited and a flex).  I think they are discontinuing the freedom classic so may not be an option.  The freedom flex is a good choice as long as you don't want that relatively low bonus.

Chase has been getting super aggressive with their sapphire products.  I believe you need to wait 4 years now from the last sapphire signup bonus and you not eligible if you currently have any sapphire card.  So yeah, "product change" in industry parlance is probably a good bet if you don't get your money's worth on CSR.

I have two sapphire cards, both opened 4+ years ago. The current preferred bonus is pretty attractive. What would be the path to earning it, changing both to another product, waiting a few cycles, and applying?

If you've had the CSR at least four years, you may qualify for another global entry credit so consider doing that before you product change

Did that yesterday! Refund posted this morning and was approved by CBP. Thankfully no interview required for the renewal.

For the longest time there were zero retention options for CSR.  It's looking like that changed this year and it's at least possible (if unlikely) that you can get a retention bonus/credit.  It might not be enough to change your mind but you should go into it knowing what you'd accept ($100 credit?  $200?)

Good to know! Thanks for all the info.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »

I have two sapphire cards, both opened 4+ years ago. The current preferred bonus is pretty attractive. What would be the path to earning it, changing both to another product, waiting a few cycles, and applying?

Yeah, I think you would have to product change both to something else before you apply for another sapphire card.  And then make sure it's been over 4 years since you opened your last sapphire card (which according to you it is). 

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2021, 07:00:40 PM »

Yeah, I think you would have to product change both to something else before you apply for another sapphire card.  And then make sure it's been over 4 years since you opened your last sapphire card (which according to you it is).
I thought it was 4 years after you received the bonus, not when you applied for the original card. So add 1-3 months.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #92 on: July 06, 2021, 01:05:42 AM »

I thought it was 4 years after you received the bonus, not when you applied for the original card. So add 1-3 months.

Good point I have no idea but you’re probably right.  I usually get my bonus ASAP cause I already have spend in mind so it’s not a big difference to me but play it safe unless a sweet bonus is expiring

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2021, 12:47:03 AM »
Don't know if I'm completely off-base but I've always thought it best to cancel completely so I can requalify to get the card in the future. Also if I downgrade, I lose the potential to get the bonus on the lower end card. I do keep a few old cards hanging around for age of credit scores.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2021, 05:55:28 AM »
This feature is back on the CSP card, I just cashed in 90k points for $1200 statement credit.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2021, 11:31:49 AM »
This feature is back on the CSP card, I just cashed in 90k points for $1200 statement credit.
We just did the same! Only with a smaller amount of points. Can't beat the 25% point value bonus on purchases you've already made vs. needing to spend on travel to maximize the point potential. I find that frequently the hotel rooms that offer the same bonus (25%) are more pricey accommodations that we wouldn't choose, so not particularly valuable for us.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2021, 12:22:39 PM »
I have been using Pay Yourself Back for the past year. LOVE using the points on dining out :) Like some pointed out, I don't always find it as valuable for travel booked through their portal.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2021, 03:16:33 PM »
We just use PYB for a nice $720 credit.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2021, 07:44:32 PM »
Tough choice this month on PYB vs. the 5%/7.5% back on Chase Freedom grocery category. 

Usually I've been doing PYB on grocery purchases but this month that means forgoing the bonus on chase freedom.

I'll probably end up just maxing out the category with $500 VGC but it might not be optimal.

I don't have the kind of organic restaurant spend to go that route with PYB.

Is it all ending in september?  My points balance finally hit zero but it's a nice feature

In other news, AMEX Platinum is raising the AF to $700.  There are a bunch of new benefits that I have no use for.  Unless I get a seriously amazing retention offer it's going down the stairs but I'll still be a little sad because I truly milked that sucker for all it was worth.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2021, 12:10:51 AM »
Starting to get nervous about the end date 9/30.  Plenty of rumors say they will extend again, possibly with new categories. But I'm currently maxing out our 6 Freedom cards in the grocery category = $675 worth of points.  My statements close mid-month so if I don't finish soon, I will receive the points in October.  Of course I'd prefer to make the purchases immediately after the statement closes so as to float the payment an extra month.  So I have to decide whether to risk getting points after the program ends or risk accelerating my payments by a month.

Thinking of downgrading the CSR and getting the CSP bonus.  My wife has the CSP so she could upgrade to the CSR when it's time to burn points/travel (we haven't traveled since the pandemic)