Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Pay Yourself Back feature  (Read 24279 times)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve - Pay Yourself Back feature
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2021, 12:04:44 PM »
Starting to get nervous about the end date 9/30.  Plenty of rumors say they will extend again, possibly with new categories. But I'm currently maxing out our 6 Freedom cards in the grocery category = $675 worth of points.  My statements close mid-month so if I don't finish soon, I will receive the points in October.  Of course I'd prefer to make the purchases immediately after the statement closes so as to float the payment an extra month.  So I have to decide whether to risk getting points after the program ends or risk accelerating my payments by a month.

Thinking of downgrading the CSR and getting the CSP bonus.  My wife has the CSP so she could upgrade to the CSR when it's time to burn points/travel (we haven't traveled since the pandemic)

If by "downgrading" the CSR you mean product changing from CSR to CSP you won't get a bonus.  (Same with your wife's situation.)  You could product change to a no-fee Freedom card and then apply for a "new" CSP and get the bonus.  That asssumes its been 48 months since you last got a signing bonus for any Sapphire card.   

Maybe you understand this and I'm just nitpicking language.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2021, 01:42:01 PM »
Product change CSR to freedom
Apply for new CSP to get sweet bonus

Upgrade wifes CSP to CSR if/when we want those benefits.  No bonus, already got the CSP bonus.  Yes it would be possible to PC that CSP To another freedom but would have to wait years before eligible for another sapphire bonus

So yeah basically this is just a way to get another sapphire bonus without losing access to CSR benefits.  The CSP also has a higher bonus than CSR (last time I checked)

That said, I feel we are hitting the limits with chase.  I have 5 personal cards and 2 business cards.  Last few applications were approved but with a delay.  They moved my credit lines around (didn't need to call reconsideration). 

Chase really is the best.  They got me in their ecosystem.  We are canceling our amex platinum with the recent price increase.  They lost so much money on us it's not even funny.  If they waive the fee again I'm in, but there's no way I'm paying $700 for all these useless "benefits" (even the travel credit is a pain in the ass to use)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 03:39:26 PM by dragoncar »

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2021, 03:44:08 PM »
I plan to cancel my CSR before the next annual fee comes around in February. They sent me a letter that the $100 fee increase will be happening for real this time, and I don't get quite enough value out of the card to justify that (especially now that I almost never use airports with qualifying lounges). If I get the opportunity to get a sweet CSP bonus a few months later so much the better!

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2021, 08:43:06 PM »
I plan to cancel my CSR before the next annual fee comes around in February. They sent me a letter that the $100 fee increase will be happening for real this time, and I don't get quite enough value out of the card to justify that (especially now that I almost never use airports with qualifying lounges). If I get the opportunity to get a sweet CSP bonus a few months later so much the better!

I'm in the same boat. I think my renewal is Feb 10th.
I will cancel this time around even if they give me a $100 credit to remain @$450.
Been getting the $300 "travel" credit around Dec so I will get that before canceling.
It's been 4 yrs since I've had the CSR so hopefully after I cancel, the CSP still have the 100k bonus that I can sign up for.
BTW, my wife did the 100k CSP sign up in branch where they waived the $95 annual fee and a $50 grocery credit.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
I kind of suspect the 100k CSP bonus will be reduced soon, or the four-year wait will be increased, because there are a lot of us early CSR customers who got 100k from that nearly four years ago and are in a position to maybe do it again if we cancel our accounts. I doubt Chase wants a bunch of people doing that all at once.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2021, 12:23:19 AM »
I kind of suspect the 100k CSP bonus will be reduced soon, or the four-year wait will be increased, because there are a lot of us early CSR customers who got 100k from that nearly four years ago and are in a position to maybe do it again if we cancel our accounts. I doubt Chase wants a bunch of people doing that all at once.

I got the CSR early and jumped for the 80k CSP offer like a SUCKA.  Hope 100k holds out

I also got the CSP bonus like 6 years ago so I can see why they added the 4 year language.  Too easy to game

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2021, 06:17:15 AM »
Thanks for the nudge!  I checked and my fee hit yesterday.  Just called and downgraded.

I haven't gotten a Sapphire bonus since the CSR debuted.  That means I'm eligible for the CSP bonus?  Can I apply right away, or do I need to wait for processing time, etc. for my CSR closure?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2021, 06:36:50 AM »
We just converted points into $1,450.

Every time I do it, I think that I'm going to regret not having the points for travel, but I haven't regretted any of the conversions yet. We're getting more points from airline & hotel cards than we can spend on the 1-2 vacations we take each year.

Edit: I just looked to see how much we've gotten from the Pay Yourself Back feature with our CSP cards.
2020: $1,244
2021: $3,347
Total: $4,591

That's not bad at all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 06:46:35 AM by DadJokes »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2021, 06:50:12 AM »
Thanks for the nudge!  I checked and my fee hit yesterday.  Just called and downgraded.

I haven't gotten a Sapphire bonus since the CSR debuted.  That means I'm eligible for the CSP bonus?  Can I apply right away, or do I need to wait for processing time, etc. for my CSR closure?

I would play it safe and wait a week after you cancelled the previous card.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »
I did notice that Chase is allowing (at a minimum) CSR customers to use the Pay Yourself Back feature to pay for the annual fee. Mine hit 1-Sep and I just successfully used points to pay the fee, instead of shutting it down this year. Might shut it down next year, if the points option isn't available. $450 is manageable, but $550 doesn't break even for me.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2021, 10:20:34 AM »

Absolutely.
Cancel and wait a few weeks.
Not sure what card you downgraded to but hopefully not the plain no-fee Sapphire.
You can also send Chase a secure message and ask if you're eligible for the 100k CSP bonus.
My wife cancel her old CSP last year and when the 100k appeared I secured message them asking if she's eligible. It was a YES so we re-applied. It's good to have things documented.
Also make sure you know someone with a CSP that can refer you. they get a 20k pts bonus. It's funny but I've been peddling my friend to sign up. Told them we'll pay for your annual fee if you get approved. Win win for both parties.

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2021, 07:30:44 PM »

I downgraded just a few days before you and couldn’t find guidance on how long to wait, so I’m planning to apply after my first statement with the new card.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2021, 10:32:41 PM »

I downgraded just a few days before you and couldn’t find guidance on how long to wait, so I’m planning to apply after my first statement with the new card.

I think I’m going to pull the trigger soon.  I want to liquidate all my points in the next few days and then cancel before the AF hits.  Unfortunately I waited over a year to use the first global entry credit so I won’t be able to get a second one.

The CSP bonus is too good to pass up.  Hopefully it lasts and my high utilization isn’t a problem (multiple cards around 25% and one over 30% because I’m carrying an interest free balance)

Can someone remind me how much total credit chase will extend?  50% of stated income?

PVkcin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2021, 12:22:45 PM »
Question for any of you that are more experienced with UR rewards points than me (we have CSP) -

I have the chase sapphire preferred (so does my wife) - our points have posted and I had planned on using them for travel. But, Is there any benefit to using them for travel VS using the pay yourself back feature?

If we book through the chase UR travel portal I know you get 25% points back. But if we don't book through that portal (we have a destination wedding in the spring that we may have to book with the whole family through some other means [travel agent or directly through the resort]), do we get the same value if we just pay ourselves back for purchases now?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2021, 01:43:27 PM »
Right now, PYB gives the same bonus as booking travel through the portal

Downside of PYB is potentially some lost opportunity to pay for that category with a higher rewards card (for example CSR gives only 1% on groceries but some Amex give 5%)

On the flip side, I believe many chase cards now have 5% back if you book through the portal (up to 7.5% value with CSR).  So you give up that high earning by cashing out points. This was always a downside with travel because you would give up the 2-3% cash back by paying dollars for a flight but back then there was no other good redemption option

Downside of travel is you have to book through chase which is run by Expedia.  I’ve run into issues numerous times with these bookings when they transfer these bookings to the actual airline.*  It’s not a deal breaker but all things equal I’d prefer to book my travel directly with an airline when possible

Crap I realize now that’s just a slightly less clear rehash of this: https://milestomemories.com/chase-travel-portal-is-completely-useless/

*for example one time I booked a trip with a lap infant.  Obviously I filled out the information correctly.   But when I went to check in, I couldn’t.  I had to call the airline and wait on hold for hours because somehow the Expedia backend put a lap infant on both adult fares and they can’t have two lap infants in the same row.  Also had problems where the seat sections did not go through, and airline website would not let me assign because the reservation was “owned” by the trave agency (chase).  But then I call chase and they say contact the airline.  The I call the airline and they say call chase.  Personally I think the buck should stop with the airline when assigning seats and correcting mistakes but it can be frustrating when there’s someone else to blame.  When you call the number on the back of the card you do get a “travel agency” that can help you solve more complicated issues, which is nice in theory but IME not worth the hassle of reading a bunch of passport numbers and spelling names out just to see they were mistyped.  Also depending on the time of day you might get someone better or worse.  Don’t recommend calling late at night although kudos to them they do have someone available
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 01:50:06 PM by dragoncar »

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: September 09, 2021, 07:58:50 AM »
Update:  I downgraded my CSR to a Freedom Unlimited one week ago.  Today I checked and in my Chase.com account, it was showing up as the new Freedom Unlimited, so I figured I'd go ahead and try applying for the CSP.  It worked!  I was approved instantly. Hooray for 100k points!

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2021, 08:02:42 AM »
I think I missed the boat on this CSP offer... Can someone enlighten me?  I found an offer online for 100K listed as "best ever". 

DW and I have had CSR's in the past and one of us had (maybe both) had CSP.  Is there a time limit on when the previous CSP had to be closed or converted?  (We converted all but 1 CSR between the two of us).

thanks for catching me up!!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2021, 09:07:20 AM »
I think I missed the boat on this CSP offer... Can someone enlighten me?  I found an offer online for 100K listed as "best ever". 

DW and I have had CSR's in the past and one of us had (maybe both) had CSP.  Is there a time limit on when the previous CSP had to be closed or converted?  (We converted all but 1 CSR between the two of us).

That's what I got yesterday on SO's referral. Is there something better than 100k?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2021, 11:07:20 AM »

That's what I got yesterday on SO's referral. Is there something better than 100k?

Not that I know of.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2021, 11:29:20 AM »

You can only get bonus once every 48 months.  So if you got either csr or csp bonus in last 4 years, you can't get it again.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2021, 11:49:55 AM »
I had planned to keep the CSR, because the $150 was offset by not buying other travel insurance when cruising.  Do others here think the CSR coverage is sufficient?  Does the CSP have the same coverage?

I was on the verge of canceling since I didn't know if I'd ever cruise again when the PYB started.  I'm probably offsetting the $150, but not sure about $250.  I only charge about $15-20k per year. 

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2021, 12:39:42 PM »

The one I'm doing is spend $4k in some monthly time frame and receive 100,000 points, which I was assuming I would take as a statement credit of $1,000. This is on the CSP card with a $95 yearly fee.
I've not looked into the PYB feature to see how it works, this is my first Chase card.

LoanShark

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »

You can only get bonus once every 48 months.  So if you got either csr or csp bonus in last 4 years, you can't get it again.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I just called to downgrade my CSR card and will apply for the 100k CSP bonus in a few weeks.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2021, 01:37:52 PM »

Thanks!

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2021, 02:21:40 PM »
Update:  I downgraded my CSR to a Freedom Unlimited one week ago.  Today I checked and in my Chase.com account, it was showing up as the new Freedom Unlimited, so I figured I'd go ahead and try applying for the CSP.  It worked!  I was approved instantly. Hooray for 100k points!

Based on your success, I tried today (about a week after downgrading) and got a "We need to take a closer look at your application, we'll let you know" message. I think I've got these from other issuers in the past, usually before getting denied. Too bad.

Can someone remind me how much total credit chase will extend?  50% of stated income?

I have $92k in credit from Chase on a $210k stated income (and $209k total credit across all issuers). Thinking I will be getting denied for the CSP, but we will see. I wonder if someone at a branch can help me, maybe by closing some Chase cards.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2021, 02:40:23 PM »

Based on your success, I tried today (about a week after downgrading) and got a "We need to take a closer look at your application, we'll let you know" message. I think I've got these from other issuers in the past, usually before getting denied. Too bad.

I have $92k in credit from Chase on a $210k stated income (and $209k total credit across all issuers). Thinking I will be getting denied for the CSP, but we will see. I wonder if someone at a branch can help me, maybe by closing some Chase cards.

This happens to me all the time and always works out fine.  It looks like a new 20-30k credit line would put you over 50%.  What happened last time is they reduced the credit line on one of my cards and then approved me. 

Here’s a summary to check the status (this information is available severa places but this is the first google result it may be a shitty website double check the phone number before entering personal info): https://dealspoints.com/chase-application-status/

Personally I would check the automated phone status method and hope it works out.  If you do get denied, call reconsideration and ask them to move your credit line around.  But if you have a good credit profile chances are they will make it work for you and you’ll get the “2 weeks” message within a couple days
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:43:19 PM by dragoncar »

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2021, 02:44:39 PM »

This happens to me all the time and always works out fine.  It looks like a new 20-30k credit line would put you over 50%.  What happened last time is they reduced the credit line on one of my cards and then approved me. 

Here’s a summary to check the status (this information is available severa places but this is the first google result it may be a shitty website double check the phone number before entering personal info): https://dealspoints.com/chase-application-status/

Personally I would check the automated phone status method and hope it works out.  If you do get denied, call reconsideration and ask them to move your credit line around.  But if you have a good credit profile chances are they will make it work for you and you’ll get the “2 weeks” message within a couple days

Awesome info. Thanks!

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2021, 06:33:33 PM »
Question for any of you that are more experienced with UR rewards points than me (we have CSP) -

I have the chase sapphire preferred (so does my wife) - our points have posted and I had planned on using them for travel. But, Is there any benefit to using them for travel VS using the pay yourself back feature?

If we book through the chase UR travel portal I know you get 25% points back. But if we don't book through that portal (we have a destination wedding in the spring that we may have to book with the whole family through some other means [travel agent or directly through the resort]), do we get the same value if we just pay ourselves back for purchases now?

I have always transfer Chase pts to Hyatt or Southwest. Best value for your points.
Most Hyatt Place are 8,000 pts and that translate to $100 in PYB. I usually only use points for Hyatt when I can get 1.5x or 2x the value.
We went to Paris and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Paris Étoile which cost 15k/night. At that time the rooms were over $500/night making it over 3x the value.
Southwest is the same .A lot of their one way flights are under 10k. Especially is you have companion pass for SW, the points become even sweeter.

LoanShark

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2021, 06:54:36 AM »

I have always transfer Chase pts to Hyatt or Southwest. Best value for your points.
Most Hyatt Place are 8,000 pts and that translate to $100 in PYB. I usually only use points for Hyatt when I can get 1.5x or 2x the value.
We went to Paris and stayed at the Hyatt Regency Paris Étoile which cost 15k/night. At that time the rooms were over $500/night making it over 3x the value.
Southwest is the same .A lot of their one way flights are under 10k. Especially is you have companion pass for SW, the points become even sweeter.

Great info - thanks!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: September 10, 2021, 07:28:37 AM »

The one I'm doing is spend $4k in some monthly time frame and receive 100,000 points, which I was assuming I would take as a statement credit of $1,000. This is on the CSP card with a $95 yearly fee.
I've not looked into the PYB feature to see how it works, this is my first Chase card.

With PYB, you can reimburse restaurant/grocery spending on the card with points, making it better than just taking the statement credit.

Let's say you bought groceries for $125. You could redeem 10,000 points and get a $125 credit on your card. With this, your 100,000 points are worth $1,250.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2021, 09:19:53 AM »

With PYB, you can reimburse restaurant/grocery spending on the card with points, making it better than just taking the statement credit.

Let's say you bought groceries for $125. You could redeem 10,000 points and get a $125 credit on your card. With this, your 100,000 points are worth $1,250.

Thanks, I did see a reference to buying grocery store gift cards on, I think, Doctor of Credit, so that makes sense now.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2021, 04:51:16 PM »
I wonder how fast you can upgrade to CSR.  CSR is more expensive of course.  550 vs 95, so 455 more expensive.  There is a $300 travel credit that I believe still counts towards groceries and gas, so I value that almost fully.  So CSR is $155 more even if you don’t care about the global entry credit and other random stuffs

But the PYB (or travel) multiplier on CSR is 1.5 vs 1.25.  So some simple math tells me that if you cash out $155/.25 = 62,000 points in a year you come out ahead

Missing anything?

Why do I run these numbers?  Because the CSP bonus is 100k!  Also because if have a freedom and max out rotating categories in a year you are getting 30k points.  If you have two, 60k.  In other words, the chase ecosystem is dope if you are super down the rabbit hole (and if you pick up a business ink you get lots of gift card opportunities at staples/office stores)

salt cured

• Bristles
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2021, 04:40:53 PM »

Awesome info. Thanks!

Just logged in to Chase and see a new Sapphire Preferred has been added. Looks like they did move some credit around, pulling about $20k total from two Freedom Unlimiteds.

Okay now to spend some money...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2021, 01:09:36 AM »
Glad to hear it worked out.

I'm now reading that I may have to wait until I've had the CSP a year to upgrade to the CSR.  Might be a slight bummer but I'll survive

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2021, 10:43:09 AM »
Starting to get nervous about the end date 9/30.  Plenty of rumors say they will extend again, possibly with new categories. But I'm currently maxing out our 6 Freedom cards in the grocery category = $675 worth of points.  My statements close mid-month so if I don't finish soon, I will receive the points in October.  Of course I'd prefer to make the purchases immediately after the statement closes so as to float the payment an extra month.  So I have to decide whether to risk getting points after the program ends or risk accelerating my payments by a month.

Thinking of downgrading the CSR and getting the CSP bonus.  My wife has the CSP so she could upgrade to the CSR when it's time to burn points/travel (we haven't traveled since the pandemic)
Do you get a bonus with a downgrade? I thought you had to open a new account, not just do a product change -- if a product change will give a bonus, I should do that too. 

I've been thinking about canceling my Reserve so I can get a new sign up bonus later (I've had it for 4-5 years now?).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2021, 02:08:35 PM »

Do you get a bonus with a downgrade? I thought you had to open a new account, not just do a product change -- if a product change will give a bonus, I should do that too. 

I've been thinking about canceling my Reserve so I can get a new sign up bonus later (I've had it for 4-5 years now?).

No, I’m going to PC the CSR to a freedom flex and then apply for new CSP to get that bonus

Pretty sure a bonus on upgrade/downgrade is rare or nonexistent.  In general unless you have too much open credit with chase there’s no reason to outright cancel a card.  In this case, though, if you don’t already have a freedom flex and you downgrade to one then you might miss out on the $200 flex bonus (we got a flex a while back partially in anticipation of this issue)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 02:10:34 PM by dragoncar »

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »
I haven't seen any updates about this being extended. Already cashed out north of 500K points using the CSR over the last year. As soon as my CIP statement closes I'll have another 250K to cash out. Getting a new roof put on so this really helps.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2021, 04:09:04 PM »
Sent a secure message to PC the CSR and they said it’s eligible but I have to call in to “answer questions”.  I wonder if this is an attempt at retention or if they are going to look in depth at my account

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2021, 12:41:23 PM »
Sent a secure message to PC the CSR and they said it’s eligible but I have to call in to “answer questions”.  I wonder if this is an attempt at retention or if they are going to look in depth at my account

I think it is just to be a pain.  I recall I had to do this for CSP or CSR in the past.  Shouldn't take long.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2021, 12:25:12 AM »

I think it is just to be a pain.  I recall I had to do this for CSP or CSR in the past.  Shouldn't take long.

Yeah, finally called in today and everything has already been updated online.  Unfortunately I might not be able to PC the other CSP to CSR soon because I didn't know I had to hold it for a year first.  Possibly I can PC a different freedom back to CSR but I'm not in that much of a hurry to get the CSR again (without a bonus) since I liquidated all points.  At this point we're up to 7 freedom cards, though, so that Q4 paypal bonus is gonna generate 100k points, plus the 100k signup bonus on the new CSP, plus hopefully the referral bonus (20k?).  So maybe I do need it pretty soon.

Back to the topic at hand, though, there's more rumor that PYB is being extended until the end of the year.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-extends-pay-yourself-back-until-december-31-2021/

Scommm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2021, 03:06:07 AM »

You won't want to use PYB if you are serious about using the points for travel, especially premium reward space. If you don't care then that's another story but I always like to keep 1 - 2 million points in my account.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2021, 07:13:26 AM »
If you want premium travel, I agree - using your UR points to transfer to other reward programs is much more lucrative.

For us, we have a family of 4 and my priority is to stretch my limited points to as many trips as possible. Using our points for premium travel would give me fewer trips.

E.g. previous example of using Hyatt points.

I'd have 3 options:
- spend 8000 pts for Hyatt Place
- spend 15000 pts for Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile
- get $100 statement credit in PYB and stay at a Comfort Inn for $40.

While I'd enjoy a stay at the Hyatt regency and that is the most return on point value, with PYB, I'd get over 4 nights stay at a heavily discounted Comfort Inn compared to one night at the fancy Hyatt Regency.

I should note that I do splurge with my points every once in a while :) But overall, we are fine with staying at a Comfort Inn. Especially since it has free breakfast lol.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2021, 07:32:34 AM »
My CSP 100k bonus posted, I started using the card as my "daily driver", I went through and applied all the transactions that qualified to PYB, great feature and thanks for the heads up.
As far as travel, I noticed the cc companies really push the travel aspect of card use and bonuses. Makes sense from their perspective.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2021, 11:39:51 PM »
If you want premium travel, I agree - using your UR points to transfer to other reward programs is much more lucrative.

For us, we have a family of 4 and my priority is to stretch my limited points to as many trips as possible. Using our points for premium travel would give me fewer trips.

E.g. previous example of using Hyatt points.

I'd have 3 options:
- spend 8000 pts for Hyatt Place
- spend 15000 pts for Hyatt Regency Paris Etoile
- get $100 statement credit in PYB and stay at a Comfort Inn for $40.

While I'd enjoy a stay at the Hyatt regency and that is the most return on point value, with PYB, I'd get over 4 nights stay at a heavily discounted Comfort Inn compared to one night at the fancy Hyatt Regency.

I should note that I do splurge with my points every once in a while :) But overall, we are fine with staying at a Comfort Inn. Especially since it has free breakfast lol.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

Can you please point out to some Comfort Inn for $40 ?? That should include taxes.
I must admit that I have never stayed in a Comfort Inn but a quick check for Comfort Inn runs around $60-$100 not including taxes.
I don't doubt you can find some Comfort Inn for $40 on deals from time to time but $40 is no where near the norm. You can't even find Motel 6 for $40 these days.

When I post Hyatt for 8000 pts, that's the norm. I can pretty much travel to most cities and find Hyatt Place for 8000 pts. There are also plenty of Hyatt for 5000 pts. In fact outside the US, there are very nice Hyatt for 5000 pts.

My last inquiry is where can I find a Comfort Inn in any where near Paris ??
You'll be lucky to find a night stay in Paris for $200.
Hyatt and Comfort Inn aren't in the same category.
If you're looking just for a place to sleep, then that's fine but that's like saying a why buy a Lexus when a Kia when get me from point A to point B just fine.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2021, 04:01:52 AM »
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-extends-pay-yourself-back-until-december-31-2021/

Pay yourself back has been extended!

Extended but reduced. For CSP it's now 10% bonus vs. the old 25%.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »

Pay yourself back has been extended!

Extended but reduced. For CSP it's now 10% bonus vs. the old 25%.

Source?  I’m seeing that is freedoms with 10% bonus

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2021, 12:00:05 PM »
Staying true to the thread title, prior to the pandemic we had a little over $6000 worth of chase points saved up.  We were planning for some epic travel but ended up burning all of it via the pay-yourself-back-feature throughout the past 18 months.  Saved a ton on various spending categories (granted it was all free point via sign up bonuses).  They mis-classified clothing stores, home supply stores etc.  It was working on far more than 'dining'.

Just transferred a final $1000 of points from my freedom card to my wifes CSR card to applied it all to previous purchases.  Will now be cancelling the CSR.  Great program, would love to partake again - thank you chase.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2021, 02:15:44 PM »
Staying true to the thread title, prior to the pandemic we had a little over $6000 worth of chase points saved up.  We were planning for some epic travel but ended up burning all of it via the pay-yourself-back-feature throughout the past 18 months.  Saved a ton on various spending categories (granted it was all free point via sign up bonuses).  They mis-classified clothing stores, home supply stores etc.  It was working on far more than 'dining'.

Just transferred a final $1000 of points from my freedom card to my wifes CSR card to applied it all to previous purchases.  Will now be cancelling the CSR.  Great program, would love to partake again - thank you chase.

That was intentional. https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/how-to-use-chase-pay-yourself-back

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »
Wow, just finished redeeming about $1k worth of PYB points on my CSR, and now it's been extended!? With the wife in grad school until mid 2023 and our tendency to pay cash when we find good travel deals anyway, it's a no-brainer to keep using it to utilize our stache of UR points.