Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus  (Read 281213 times)

NYCMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus
« Reply #600 on: October 15, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
So I was denied for the Reserve because I don't have enough credit history. Do you think I should try to get the Preferred or try for another card altogether?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #601 on: October 15, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
So I was denied for the Reserve because I don't have enough credit history. Do you think I should try to get the Preferred or try for another card altogether?

If you have another Chase card you can log in and poke around a bit to find out what cards you are prequalified for.

NYCMustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #602 on: October 16, 2016, 05:24:11 AM »

If you have another Chase card you can log in and poke around a bit to find out what cards you are prequalified for.

I have a chase bank account but not a chase credit card unfortunately

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #603 on: October 16, 2016, 05:28:21 AM »

I have a chase bank account but not a chase credit card unfortunately
That could work too. Log in, see if there is some kind of credit card tab/dropdown/advertisement.

mathjak107

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #604 on: October 16, 2016, 07:21:34 AM »
we took advantage of all the chase deals  we could . we got over 600 bucks .

we got 200 for upgrading to a chase unlimited from the chase freedom card , 150 for opening a savings account and 300 for opening a preferred checking .  we will likely close them once we fully qualify .

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #605 on: October 18, 2016, 02:34:42 PM »
we took advantage of all the chase deals  we could . we got over 600 bucks .

we got 200 for upgrading to a chase unlimited from the chase freedom card , 150 for opening a savings account and 300 for opening a preferred checking .  we will likely close them once we fully qualify .

The magic is still in credit cards. Got sapphire preferred and ink business for both me and my wife. Flew three people round trip to Europe twice ($6000 value) for <$800 total. And we missed with one card so have 60k points left over. If we could have done that with 2x Reserve cards it would have been even better!

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #606 on: October 18, 2016, 02:37:02 PM »
Sure.  But as I said previously I SOLD my home so no more property taxes.

You missed the joke, which was that you should pay HIS property taxes.

I've been buying gift cards to the grocery store and Amazon. (Amazon is good because you can get gift cards to a lot of other stores there, as needed.)

Buy a ton of restaurant gift cards? As CSR give 3x points on dining. Of course that make you spend tons of money at restaurant you might not otherwise would have.. Travel gift cards are also 3x, but again this require that you have travel to spend them on.

Slyder22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #607 on: October 19, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »
My wife and I got the reserve card and hit the bonus. I really like the idea of travel hacking. Can we now go backwards and get the preferred card bonus with no penalties? Sorry if this is question has been answered else where.

redcedar

• Bristles
« Reply #608 on: October 19, 2016, 06:33:31 PM »
My wife and I got the reserve card and hit the bonus. I really like the idea of travel hacking. Can we now go backwards and get the preferred card bonus with no penalties? Sorry if this is question has been answered else where.

Chase treats the cards as separate products so yes you can get both and earn both bonuses. We will soon complete our last bonus and  earn over 300k UR point this year. Be careful around their 5/24 rule though.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #609 on: October 20, 2016, 06:05:06 AM »
Question, what techniques have you used to reach the $4,000 in three month spend requirement?  Curious about your successful MS funded by the CSR specifically.  Thanks all!

Paid property taxes. Pretty easy :-)
Sold the home, so no more property taxes.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Pay my property taxes.  Pretty easy :-)

I do plan on traveling to Europe but booked the flight prior to CSR approval.  I am currently on a self imposed sabbatical so no W2 or 1099.  Does anyone else have ideas beyond typical spending, utilities, gift cards, etc?  Curious if anyone used manufacture spending (MS) to reach the 4k requirement.  Thank you.

You can always send a trusted individual money through Venmo or square cash WI a credit card for a 3% fee. And then of course ask for the money back later.

Is it the cheapest MS method? Absolutely not. Is it convenient to do at home? Yes.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #610 on: October 20, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
Question, what techniques have you used to reach the $4,000 in three month spend requirement?  Curious about your successful MS funded by the CSR specifically.  Thanks all!

I do plan on traveling to Europe but booked the flight prior to CSR approval.  I am currently on a self imposed sabbatical so no W2 or 1099.  Does anyone else have ideas beyond typical spending, utilities, gift cards, etc?  Curious if anyone used manufacture spending (MS) to reach the 4k requirement.  Thank you.

You can always send a trusted individual money through Venmo or square cash WI a credit card for a 3% fee. And then of course ask for the money back later.

Is it the cheapest MS method? Absolutely not. Is it convenient to do at home? Yes.

I know you said not gift cards, but I still think Amazon gift cards is the easiest way if you can't reach $4k in the 3 months. They're as good as money since amazon sells everything. I've gotten everything from dog food to batteries and furniture stain there just in the last few months (I'm too lazy to go to a store to get something when I think of it). They load to your account so no card to keep track off, and is automatically applied to purchases. I will certainly use money on amazon for the foreseeable future. No fee, and you get 1% cash back!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #611 on: October 22, 2016, 06:48:11 AM »

I know you said not gift cards, but I still think Amazon gift cards is the easiest way if you can't reach $4k in the 3 months. They're as good as money since amazon sells everything. I've gotten everything from dog food to batteries and furniture stain there just in the last few months (I'm too lazy to go to a store to get something when I think of it). They load to your account so no card to keep track off, and is automatically applied to purchases. I will certainly use money on amazon for the foreseeable future. No fee, and you get 1% cash back!

Considering I can always get 5% back at Amazon with my Sallie Mae card, or 20% off by buying Amazon gift cards from stores such as Lowe's or staples when Amex offers come up, no, amazon gift cards are not as good as cash.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #612 on: October 22, 2016, 07:13:28 AM »

Considering I can always get 5% back at Amazon with my Sallie Mae card, or 20% off by buying Amazon gift cards from stores such as Lowe's or staples when Amex offers come up, no, amazon gift cards are not as good as cash.
Woopie, good for you smarty pants. Consider my advice not applying to you then, and move on.

And if the option is to get Amazon gift cards or missing the spending limit and thus 100,000 points the return can be way more than 20%

Jaguar Paw

• Stubble
« Reply #613 on: October 22, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »
Got my 100,000 points yesterday and then signed my wife up for the card. Yeehaww!

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #614 on: October 22, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »
I applied on Monday night and called one of Chase's backdoor lending numbers (877-260-0087) on Tuesday morning and asked if they could rush the card to me. The customer service rep said they couldn't because of the high demand, but low and behold, on Thursday morning I got the UPS air mailed package with my new card. Doesn't hurt to ask if you have a deadline for any large purchases.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #615 on: October 22, 2016, 01:38:57 PM »
I can add to the confirmation that if you are above 5/24, you can reduce it by dropping off as an AU.

I finished my $4k minimum spend (alarmingly easily), and my husband was instantly approved for his this morning. He was at 5/24. But, last month I cancelled my Chase British Airways Visa (got the bonus on that card about a year ago, was avoiding the first annual fee), and that cancellation automatically dropped him as an authorized user, putting him at 4/24.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #616 on: October 22, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »
I just dropped back to 4/24, though I did have some hoops with getting the Freedom.

Once I've cleared my spend on the CSR* I guess I can see about getting the CSP - that seems the best use of my remaining slot. I won't have another open until August. After that, it will be over a year before one drops off.

Any better plans for a Chase card than CSP for churning? Already have CSR, Freedom and IHG, don't have a business for Ink.

*I'm seeing what clears on "natural spend" on my CSR- much of which is travel for work. My wife's CSR has the utilities, groceries and just did the annual house & car insurance payments. Freedom at Costco though for the 5% bonus and signup bonuses. Cleared hers already, halfway there on mine. When we get close to the end of the 3 months, the plan is to use the property taxes (at a cost of 2.19%) to sop up the remaining spend with some partial payments to get over the hump on our CSR. I don't actually have to pay the property taxes until the end of January, so I can keep the rest of the payment in reserve as a buffer for min spend on a new CSP.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #617 on: October 22, 2016, 02:49:37 PM »
I just dropped back to 4/24, though I did have some hoops with getting the Freedom.

Once I've cleared my spend on the CSR* I guess I can see about getting the CSP - that seems the best use of my remaining slot. I won't have another open until August. After that, it will be over a year before one drops off.

Any better plans for a Chase card than CSP for churning? Already have CSR, Freedom and IHG, don't have a business for Ink.

*I'm seeing what clears on "natural spend" on my CSR- much of which is travel for work. My wife's CSR has the utilities, groceries and just did the annual house & car insurance payments. Freedom at Costco though for the 5% bonus and signup bonuses. Cleared hers already, halfway there on mine. When we get close to the end of the 3 months, the plan is to use the property taxes (at a cost of 2.19%) to sop up the remaining spend with some partial payments to get over the hump on our CSR. I don't actually have to pay the property taxes until the end of January, so I can keep the rest of the payment in reserve as a buffer for min spend on a new CSP.
You don't need a business for Ink. Just use your SSN for business/tax number. I've never owned a business in my life, but got the card with no problems for both my wife and myself. Just said "scandium photography" and $25 in revenue.

I got a message I had to call before I was approved, but the guy on the phone just said "hold on" then "ok congratulations". No questions.

Ps: I still think Amazon gift cards is better than paying 2%. Just add them to your account balance online and use automatically in the future. No cards or nothing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 02:51:26 PM by Scandium »

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: October 22, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »
You don't need a business for Ink.

You do need a business unless you want to commit fraud (though, as we know, various forum members here have no problem engaging in fraud).

The application form for any Chase business card makes it very clear that you are representing to have a business by submitting the form, but in case that was not obvious enough, the Terms & Conditions also contains the following language:
          By becoming a Visa Business Card cardmember, you agree that the card is being used only for business purposes and that the card is being issued to a public or private company including a sole proprietor or employees or contractors of an organization.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #619 on: October 22, 2016, 03:39:45 PM »
You don't need a business for Ink.

You do need a business unless you want to commit fraud (though, as we know, various forum members here have no problem engaging in fraud).

The application form for any Chase business card makes it very clear that you are representing to have a business by submitting the form, but in case that was not obvious enough, the Terms & Conditions also contains the following language:
          By becoming a Visa Business Card cardmember, you agree that the card is being used only for business purposes and that the card is being issued to a public or private company including a sole proprietor or employees or contractors of an organization.
I'm a sole proprietor photography business. I need to eat to stay alive to run my business, thus groceries are a valid expense. Just because I haven't sold any pictures yet it's still a business.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: October 22, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
I'm a sole proprietor photography business. I need to eat to stay alive to run my business, thus groceries are a valid expense. Just because I haven't sold any pictures yet it's still a business.

As indicated in the message at the bottom of my post, my post contained only general information and did not express any view on your specific situation. In particular, I did not and do not express any view on whether you have committed fraud.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 03:48:35 PM by Cathy »

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #621 on: October 22, 2016, 03:47:43 PM »
Give me a beak. What is Chase's damage? How are they harmed? They get their annual fee and merchant commission and you get the points.

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: October 22, 2016, 04:10:27 PM »
Give me a beak. What is Chase's damage? How are they harmed? They get their annual fee and merchant commission and you get the points.
(Emphasis added.)

I think you pose a good question. I didn't specify what I meant by "fraud", but it is certainly true at common law that in order to prevail in a lawsuit seeking damages for fraud, one must be able to prove damages. See, e.g., Engalla v. Permanente Medical Group, 15 Cal 4th 951, 974 (1997) (noting that in a suit seeking damages for fraud, there is a "requirement to show pecuniary damages"). A similar requirement may also apply to analogous criminal offenses.

That said, it seems like in the case of a typical "credit card churner", Chase is likely to be losing money from a business credit card account that was fraudulently obtained and used.

To take the example of the Chase Ink Plus, there is currently a bonus offer for 60,000 points after $5,000 spend, with a $95 annual fee. In addition, the card offers between 1 to 5 points per dollar spent. Let's say a savvy point-maximiser chooses to spend only at places that yield the 5 points per dollar in order to meet the $5,000 spend. After spending $5,000 and otherwise meeting all of the offer terms, this person will have racked up 85,000 points. This person then transfers the 85,000 points to their Chase Sapphire Reserve account and redeems the points for flights at 1.5 cent per point, yielding a total redemption value of $1,275. Net of the $95 annual fee, the value gained is $1,180.

In order for Chase to have covered this $1,180 through commissions, it must be collecting a 23.6% commission on all purchases, which seems unlikely.

You may argue that Chase is saving money in other ways such as perhaps buying flights in bulk, but that probably balances out with the other costs to Chase that you ignored, such as the fact that it costs Chase money to provide service on the account, dealing with phone calls and whatnot. Also, even the application process itself may cost Chase money because a common method of bypassing the 5/24 rule is to apply with a pre-approved offer in branch, which of course takes up a banker's time as well. Chase may also pay the banker a commission for the signup. There's also the cost of printing copies of account agreements to mail out, the cost of printing the card, the cost of postage, and other incidentals.

Again, I express no view on whether any participant in this thread has been engaging in fraud.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 04:52:37 PM by Cathy »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #623 on: October 22, 2016, 04:47:25 PM »

Woopie, good for you smarty pants. Consider my advice not applying to you then, and move on.

And if the option is to get Amazon gift cards or missing the spending limit and thus 100,000 points the return can be way more than 20%

Hey anybody with a discover it can get 5% back on Amazon this quarter. This situation is by no means specific just to me.

Well duh buying Amazon gift cards is better than missing the sign up bonus. But displacing any spend in a 5% category to meet a sign up bonus is stupid when anybody can very easily MS at 3% instead.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #624 on: October 23, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »
I have a question about spending points and getting travel credit.

If I book airfare on Chase'a Ultimate Rewards site, and it consumes all my points, the remainder gets charged to my reserve card.  Will that remainder be coded as travel, so it will use my travel credit?  Or is the entire UR site use some generic mcc code as I suspect is the case.

Already tried sending a SM to chase and got a canned response with assurances about the general program, but did not specifically answer my direct questions.  Disappointing for a premium card like this.

Maybe someone here has purchased something from UR with a combo of points and cc and could check the mcc code for me?  Thanks!

It is coded as travel, at least for other reward purposes. My CSR travel credit came through other purchases, but I've always gotten the double points on travel when I pay for a flight or portion thereof through the UR portal with my CSP (now to be triple points through the CSR). So, unless you see something to the contrary in the benefits/rewards pamphlet that came with your card, it should count toward the travel credit.

hope2retire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #625 on: October 23, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
received the bonus points after the first statement.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #626 on: October 23, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »
Thanks Bridget!  We should be all set for 2x travel credit for 2016 now and already have plans on how to use it for 2017.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to redeem 200k points at 1.5x rate since we are using VRBO/Homeaway for our vacation rental.  Might have to just take the cash at 1x...

Try calling Chase and asking about it.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #627 on: October 23, 2016, 05:28:03 PM »
Thanks Bridget!  We should be all set for 2x travel credit for 2016 now and already have plans on how to use it for 2017.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to redeem 200k points at 1.5x rate since we are using VRBO/Homeaway for our vacation rental.  Might have to just take the cash at 1x...

Sounds like I fly too much :) It will not be difficult at all for my husband and I to redeem $3,000 worth of flights in a single calendar year.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #628 on: October 24, 2016, 10:30:12 AM »
Does anybody know if I pay for 2 TSA PreChecks will the 2nd one be coded as travel? The first 1 I know will be reimbursed but if the 2nd one will be coded as travel than it will be free too?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: November 04, 2016, 05:33:08 PM »
Just noticed that they show the bonus points under "Earning on next statement".  Pretty cool!  Thought others might find it helpful if you were close on the spend/not sure.

Click on the Ultimate Rewards "bar" on the left side of the chase web site to see it.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: November 05, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »
Does anybody know if I pay for 2 TSA PreChecks will the 2nd one be coded as travel? The first 1 I know will be reimbursed but if the 2nd one will be coded as travel than it will be free too?

I can tell you that the Barclay mastercard did not code it as travel.  It was coded something like "government". 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #631 on: November 05, 2016, 12:41:28 PM »
Just noticed that they show the bonus points under "Earning on next statement".  Pretty cool!  Thought others might find it helpful if you were close on the spend/not sure.

Click on the Ultimate Rewards "bar" on the left side of the chase web site to see it.

That's cool, thanks for the tip... Nice to see confirmation in advance

mom22boys

• Stubble
« Reply #632 on: November 07, 2016, 06:52:32 AM »
For those curious about buying a gift card for airlines to get the $300 travel credit....I did this with Delta and it worked! The gift card doesn't expire, and there are no fees, so I'll be saving it for a rainy day since I want to use my UR points first.  Or I'll be using it for my parents for some travel next year.   

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #633 on: November 07, 2016, 11:50:26 AM »

I can tell you that the Barclay mastercard did not code it as travel.  It was coded something like "government".

Thank you!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #634 on: November 07, 2016, 10:37:18 PM »
I found a flight on Kayak and direct on the airline, but it doesn't show up in the portal.  For those who called Chase, what number did you call?

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #635 on: November 08, 2016, 07:37:35 AM »
I found a flight on Kayak and direct on the airline, but it doesn't show up in the portal.  For those who called Chase, what number did you call?

On the "explore and book travel" section of the portal, there is a "Travel Customer Support" button you can hover over and it gives you a phone number.  It's 1-855-234-2542. There's also an international collect number on the back of your card, which I used a few times when I was stranded in Europe.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #636 on: November 08, 2016, 09:56:14 AM »
posting to follow.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: November 08, 2016, 10:36:09 AM »
Looks like I'll be getting my sign up bonus on my next statement.

Your Points

Available now
18,600 PTS

Earning on next
statement Points earning on next statement information
103,900 PTS

Now we just have to meet the spend for my wife's card.  I also used my priority pass this last week on a trip, got some free starbucks and a nice place to relax.  The perks of this card are pretty amazing so far, I still need to sign up for global entry though.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: November 08, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
I've been to two lounges - Seattle & Vegas on the priority pass and wasn't super impressed.  Seattle was way better than Vegas.  Don't plan on having a meal here unless you think granola bars and popcorn constitutes a meal.  I did have 3 glasses of wine though :)

I'll be checking out the lounges in Vancouver and Mexico City in the next couple weeks so may report back.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #639 on: November 08, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
On the priority pass website you can type in your airport in the "find a lounge" tool, and it will show you the airport lounges that are covered, as well as their amenities. Some have hot food, alcohol, conference rooms, showers, the works, while others are just coffee and snacks. My husband went to the one in LAX - Terminal 6 this morning, and said they had pancakes (which he paired with a beer, because free booze knows no time limitations).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #640 on: November 08, 2016, 04:03:54 PM »
free booze knows no time limitations

You know, I always thought airports and airplanes were the one place where "nobody knows what time zone you are in," but I asked for some free booze on an 8 am flight and got a dirty look and no booze (yes, it was evening on my biological clock)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #641 on: November 08, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »

You know, I always thought airports and airplanes were the one place where "nobody knows what time zone you are in," but I asked for some free booze on an 8 am flight and got a dirty look and no booze (yes, it was evening on my biological clock)

Sir you have an economy class ticket.  You get no free booze, and there is a 1 bag limit on the complimentary pretzels. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #642 on: November 08, 2016, 05:23:17 PM »

Sir you have an economy class ticket.  You get no free booze, and there is a 1 bag limit on the complimentary pretzels.

Haha, well it was an international flight on a foreign airline that typically serves free booze (except not in the morning apparently)

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #643 on: November 08, 2016, 10:02:33 PM »
Whaaaaa?! Rude. Next time ask for a coffee and Bailey's or whiskey, that will probably be a less frowned-upon way to ingest your free booze.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #644 on: November 13, 2016, 10:57:12 PM »
I purchased $300 worth of delta egift cards and was reimbursed for my 2016 annual travel credit.  Did the same on my wife's account.  Now we have $600 worth of non expiring gift cards towards delta in the future.  Will hopefully be using our 210k points (and our annual 2017 travel credits worth $600) for our vacation next year, and saving the egift cards for some unplanned vacation in the future.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #645 on: November 13, 2016, 11:08:21 PM »
Got my 100,000 points yesterday and then signed my wife up for the card. Yeehaww!
Do the points show up when 4K spend is reached or do you have to wait for statement losing date?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #646 on: November 13, 2016, 11:10:05 PM »
Do the points show up when 4K spend is reached or do you have to wait for statement losing date?
Statement closing

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #647 on: November 13, 2016, 11:11:16 PM »
Statement closing
Thanks.

Tubby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #648 on: November 14, 2016, 07:37:46 AM »
Attempted to use my Priority Pass at the Air France/KLM lounge at Dulles on Sunday October 30. Was turned away because they were "too busy". If I knew how to post a photo, it would indicate that the lounge was full of people disguised as empty seats. But it was Halloween weekend.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: November 15, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
The day after I finally received the cool metal card in the mail, I got a fraudulent $5000+ charge on my card and had to cancel it :-(  Luckily both Chase and the store that received the online order immediately contacted me about it.

I'm a little nervous about getting the replacement card in time to finish off my sign-up bonus... I only have about 12 days left.

ETA: How do you destroy a metal credit card?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:24:08 PM by Dollar Slice »