Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus  (Read 280994 times)

Ebrat

• Stubble
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus
« Reply #900 on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
What are people's plans for keeping this card?

Will you cancel before the annual $450 fee this year for those that acquired one last year?  Or do you feel the $300 travel reimbursement and other perks are worth keeping it for the long haul?

I'm not sure.  I like the card and have a Freedom I can transfer points from (to get 1.5X on the 5% rewards).  My usual card is a Capital One, which also has no foreign transaction fees and 1.5% cash back, so I'd have to spend almost 7k a year on travel and restaurants to come out ahead versus putting those expenses on my Capital One card.  We want to travel more, so we might hit that number, but it's a lot to spend.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #901 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:08 PM »
I plan to keep the one we have.

Question: does anyone know if prequalifying in branch is the same as the prequalification check on chase.com?  (I fail the latter so wondering if there is a point to trying in branch).

Separate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #902 on: January 17, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »

If you use the Global Entry credit, that also narrows the gap considerably. 

Global entry credit is not annual, though, it's one-time (maybe once every 5 years?)

Just a quick note for anyone who first got the Sapphire Preferred card and then jumped on the Reserve card, I just closed my Preferred account in 3 minutes.  Super easy.  I'm expecting more when I flip the reserve.

I just called the -3319 number on the back of the card, got a live person right away.

Unless you need to give up some credit lines, I'd suggest you keep the account and ask them to do a "product change" to a no-fee card.  I called them and asked to switch it to a Freedom Unlimited (something I didn't yet have, and doesn't give good signup bonuses anyways).  They did it no hassle (they did need to read some CYA script, but it was just a couple extra minutes)

I personally have "low" accounts for some reason, so it helps me to keep the account open.  I've had a bunch of old canceled cards aging off my credit report recently

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #903 on: January 17, 2017, 04:50:15 PM »
I plan to keep the one we have.

Question: does anyone know if prequalifying in branch is the same as the prequalification check on chase.com?  (I fail the latter so wondering if there is a point to trying in branch).

It is not !!!! This is a FACT.
I tried the online through Chase a couple of times and I wasn't pre-qualified for anything.
At the branch I was pre-qualified even though I still had to do an application which was just giving them my income. She told me its just a formality as you're pretty much approved if you're pre-qualified.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #904 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:41 PM »

Will you cancel before the annual $450 fee this year for those that acquired one last year?  Or do you feel the $300 travel reimbursement and other perks are worth keeping it for the long haul?

Why would you want to ?? Chase has a policy getting the bonus points if you haven't recieved one within the last 24 months.
Use it until the year is up. Use the 2 $300 travel reaward. Cancel. Make sure you transfer or use up your points before you cancel. Like I would transfer all my points to my Hyatt account. Or transfer it to your FREE annual fee Freedom card and just let the points sit there.
Wait another 12 months or so and re-apply. Even if you don't get the bonus points, you can still do the 2 $300 again.
Even better, re-rinse with the CSP.
When its time to cancel the CSR, apply for the CSP and transfer the points over.
I mean you're not losing money by keeping the CSR but its an advantage to cancel it and re-rinse.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #905 on: January 17, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the in branch pre-qualification!  I am over 5/24 so I will have to stop by a branch.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #906 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the in branch pre-qualification!  I am over 5/24 so I will have to stop by a branch.

There are rumors that preapprovals tend to pop up 6 months after your last Chase card.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #907 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »

If you use the Global Entry credit, that also narrows the gap considerably. 
Global entry credit is not annual, though, it's one-time (maybe once every 5 years?)

$85 every four years, or $21.25/year. That's 38% of the difference - IMO 'considerable.' ;)

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #908 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »
Anyone know if my $300 travel credit will apply to a purchase on Travelocity, specifically a car rental?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #909 on: January 18, 2017, 08:13:17 AM »
Anyone know if my $300 travel credit will apply to a purchase on Travelocity, specifically a car rental?

I can't imagine it wouldn't count. Chase mentions in the category description that it includes car rental agencies, travel agencies, and discount travel sites.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #910 on: January 18, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »

I'm not sure.  I like the card and have a Freedom I can transfer points from (to get 1.5X on the 5% rewards).  My usual card is a Capital One, which also has no foreign transaction fees and 1.5% cash back, so I'd have to spend almost 7k a year on travel and restaurants to come out ahead versus putting those expenses on my Capital One card.  We want to travel more, so we might hit that number, but it's a lot to spend.

7k of travel/restaurants x 1.5% = $105 cash back
7k of travel/restaurants x 3% = $210 cash back, or $315 if you redeem for travel.

Since $300/yr will be credited back to your account, the annual fee is effectively $150/yr.  You come out way ahead with the CSR if you spend $7k/yr on travel/restaurants.  You only need to spend $5k to break even*

*All of that spending has to be on the high reward category of retaurants/travel, and you have to redeem those rewards at 1.5X through the portal for this to be true.

Depending on how my work schedule works out I may very well end up charging that much on restaurants and hotels over the course of a year.  If so I will keep and use the card.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #911 on: January 18, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
The transferability of Chase Freedom points to this card makes a difference in the math. That means 7.5% back for the rotating categories instead of 5%. Spend $2,000/year on the stuff in the Chase Freedom rotating categories and the extra 2.5% back makes up for $50 of the annual fee. Add in the $300 travel credit and there's only $100 left of the annual fee. The card I would otherwise use for travel/restaurants is the Citi Double Cash, which the Chase Sapphire Reserve beats by 2.5% on these categories. I would then break even at $4,000 of travel/restaurant spending in excess of what the $300 credit and my points buy me, even if I value the other benefits like airport lounges at $0. We'll see how it goes!

Ebrat

• Stubble
« Reply #912 on: January 18, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »

7k of travel/restaurants x 3% = $210 cash back, or $315 if you redeem for travel.

Since $300/yr will be credited back to your account, the annual fee is effectively $150/yr.  You come out way ahead with the CSR if you spend $7k/yr on travel/restaurants.  You only need to spend $5k to break even*

*All of that spending has to be on the high reward category of retaurants/travel, and you have to redeem those rewards at 1.5X through the portal for this to be true.

Depending on how my work schedule works out I may very well end up charging that much on restaurants and hotels over the course of a year.  If so I will keep and use the card.

Doh.  You're right. I forgot about the 1.5X on travel for some reason.  Then I'm looking at a little extra from getting 1.5X the Freedom 5% categories.  I'm also thinking about getting a Freedom Unlimited for the 1.5% back (2.25% when transferred to the Reserve).  I'm not a churner, but I'd like to maximize my rewards.  Trying to strike a balance between optimizing and keeping it from getting too complicated.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #913 on: January 18, 2017, 01:43:41 PM »

There are rumors that preapprovals tend to pop up 6 months after your last Chase card.

Do you mean online preapprovals? If so, not true in my case. It had been 14 months since my last Chase card, but I wasn't preapproved for any online due to being over 5/24. However, I was preapproved for all Chase cards in-branch.

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #914 on: January 18, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »

And even less if you transfer to a partner and get way more than 1.5 :) even an easy fast transfer to korean for hawaii flights nets 2.5

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #915 on: January 18, 2017, 02:40:36 PM »
The transferability of Chase Freedom points to this card makes a difference in the math. That means 7.5% back for the rotating categories instead of 5%. Spend $2,000/year on the stuff in the Chase Freedom rotating categories and the extra 2.5% back makes up for $50 of the annual fee. Add in the $300 travel credit and there's only $100 left of the annual fee. The card I would otherwise use for travel/restaurants is the Citi Double Cash, which the Chase Sapphire Reserve beats by 2.5% on these categories. I would then break even at $4,000 of travel/restaurant spending in excess of what the $300 credit and my points buy me, even if I value the other benefits like airport lounges at $0. We'll see how it goes!

Good points.

Regarding the $300 travel credit, I thought you got points in addition to being refunded the credit?  So it's not $4000 in excess of the credit because the credit is rolled right into the $4000 worth of spending that you get points on.  I could be wrong about this though.  Can anyone clarify?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #916 on: January 18, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »

Good points.

Regarding the $300 travel credit, I thought you got points in addition to being refunded the credit?  So it's not $4000 in excess of the credit because the credit is rolled right into the $4000 worth of spending that you get points on.  I could be wrong about this though.  Can anyone clarify?

So I just checked and I did get 3 points/$ for a flight and the $300 credit did not reverse those points.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #917 on: January 18, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
Ah, even better! I was assuming the worst.

Do you also get points for travel purchases made using points?

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #918 on: January 18, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »

No. Nor do you get points for the $450 annual fee. You do get points for the $85 TSA-Precheck purchase though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #919 on: January 18, 2017, 03:55:47 PM »

No. Nor do you get points for the $450 annual fee. You do get points for the $85 TSA-Precheck purchase though.

Right, but I'll note you do get the travel benefits for points travel.  So the delay protection, etc. 

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #920 on: January 18, 2017, 04:13:19 PM »

[/quote]

It is worth noting that UR points are really convenient in that you can pay for part of a flight with UR points, and part with cash, and you get points on the cash part.  I bought a ticket to Greece with something like 57k UR points (cleaning out the points from my CSP bonus) plus $5.70.  I got 3x the points on the $5.70.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: January 18, 2017, 05:21:36 PM »
Quickest I've ever spent $4K. Wife health insurance, books, cell bill, car insurance. DONE !!!
Now back to the branch to get my wife the CSR also.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #922 on: January 18, 2017, 08:25:15 PM »
Quickest I've ever spent $4K. Wife health insurance, books, cell bill, car insurance. DONE !!!
Now back to the branch to get my wife the CSR also.

Last year we got the CSP and paid the property tax. Done.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #923 on: January 18, 2017, 08:47:35 PM »

If you travel internationally at all, and you're doing it right, you pay the $100 for Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre-check.

theotherbeatle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #924 on: January 18, 2017, 09:03:19 PM »
I would definitely apply for this if I wasn't over 5/24.

I just started saving points about a year ago and we've amassed enough so that I can bring my wife and kids to a conference I'm going to in Hawaii and stay for at least an extra week.

It's pretty amazing to be able to get so much free stuff just for being able to pay your bills on time.

Would you mind explaining this to me how does it work with credit card points and so forth

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #925 on: January 18, 2017, 11:02:45 PM »

If you travel internationally at all, and you're doing it right, you pay the $100 for Global Entry, which includes TSA Pre-check.

To do it even righter, pay $50 for the Nexus membership which includes Global Entry and TSA Pre-check. Note that you have to physically go near Canada to seal the deal.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #926 on: January 18, 2017, 11:24:11 PM »

To do it even righter, pay $50 for the Nexus membership which includes Global Entry and TSA Pre-check. Note that you have to physically go near Canada to seal the deal.

Nexus is $60 and you have to go into Canada, but yes - Nexus is the way to go!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #927 on: January 19, 2017, 04:34:33 AM »
I would definitely apply for this if I wasn't over 5/24.

I just started saving points about a year ago and we've amassed enough so that I can bring my wife and kids to a conference I'm going to in Hawaii and stay for at least an extra week.

It's pretty amazing to be able to get so much free stuff just for being able to pay your bills on time.

Would you mind explaining this to me how does it work with credit card points and so forth

When you buy "travel" (hotel, flights, rental cars) via Chase, the CSR makes your points worth 1.5 cents per dollar. So, the 100,000 point signup bonus is worth $1000 in cash, or $1,500 in travel.

Figure out what travel you want. Log onto Chase. Go to the travel portal and book the travel. Dollar price should be the same. If it isn't or there is some other issue, call them to book. Tell them you want to redeem UR points from your CSR.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #928 on: January 19, 2017, 06:49:19 AM »

I don't think you will get reimbursed for a Nexus application.  Global Entry and TSA pre check only.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #929 on: January 19, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »

I don't think you will get reimbursed for a Nexus application.  Global Entry and TSA pre check only.

+1. Global entry is free with CSR but don't think Nexus counts. I had it reimbursed through another card, so will probably get it for my wife using the CSR.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #930 on: January 19, 2017, 10:54:36 PM »
Pre-paid $300 worth of TOLL money and BAM, got that $300 back instantly.
LOVE this card !!!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #931 on: January 19, 2017, 11:02:20 PM »

Huh, well that's rather stupid, considering it's better and cheaper than Global Entry. I guess you're right though. I don't see Nexus mentioned on the page. I already had it so I didn't look at the details too closely.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #932 on: January 20, 2017, 04:22:12 AM »

Huh, well that's rather stupid, considering it's better and cheaper than Global Entry. I guess you're right though. I don't see Nexus mentioned on the page. I already had it so I didn't look at the details too closely.

Yeah, doesn't really make sense.  When I went for my Global Entry interview, the CBP agent was like why the heck are you getting not getting Nexus instead. 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #933 on: January 20, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »

Yeah, doesn't really make sense.  When I went for my Global Entry interview, the CBP agent was like why the heck are you getting not getting Nexus instead.

For people who don't have any reason to go to Canada (or don't live close to a border), Global Entry might make sense.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #934 on: January 20, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »
The nearest global entry appointment was 6 months out and 3 hours away. That's why I opted for the TSA Precheck.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #935 on: January 20, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
Ok, so I applied in branch while on vacation.  Everything seemed to go well and the banker I met with was acting like I'd definitely get the card. No weirdness about not living there. No mention of the 5/24 rule or anything, she just took down my info, two forms of ID (license and a debit card), and asked some basic security questions like my mother's maiden name and name of my employer.  Typed everything into her computer and I signed some paperwork. But when we finished up she said I'd receive a "response" within 7-10 days, which made me worried I was going to get rejected.  I guess we will see- did anyone who applied in-branch NOT get immediately approved? If so what happened?  I had thought most folks who went to a branch received instantaneous approval.

I'll report back once I hear back! At least I tried :)

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #936 on: January 20, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
I was denied when I applied online.  I was already pre-approved when I applied at my local branch.  Go figure.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #937 on: January 20, 2017, 01:20:53 PM »
FYI, apparently Chase has suspended in-branch preapprovals of the CSR.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #938 on: January 25, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »
FYI, apparently Chase has suspended in-branch preapprovals of the CSR.

I can verify this too.
When I got approval at the branch on the 10th, they checked my wife and she was pre-qualified too.
We didn't do hers because I didn't want to rush spending $8000 in 3 months. We went back today because I already spent the $4000 and she was no longer qualified for the CSR. The lady told me Chase stopped this at the branch and you would have to apply online.
So we ended up getting the CSP for my wife. Not a bad deal. 55K with NO annual fee for the first year.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #939 on: January 25, 2017, 08:13:56 PM »
Any idea when Chase charges the $450 annual fee for the CSR?  I've had my card a few weeks now, but still no charge for the annual fee.  Thanks!

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #940 on: January 25, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »
Any idea when Chase charges the $450 annual fee for the CSR?  I've had my card a few weeks now, but still no charge for the annual fee.  Thanks!

It should be the first day of the month after you opened (if you opened in January, then February 1).

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #941 on: January 25, 2017, 08:17:33 PM »

It should be the first day of the month after you opened (if you opened in January, then February 1).

Ah, okay.  Thank you!

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #942 on: January 28, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »
Ok, so I applied in branch while on vacation.  Everything seemed to go well and the banker I met with was acting like I'd definitely get the card. No weirdness about not living there. No mention of the 5/24 rule or anything, she just took down my info, two forms of ID (license and a debit card), and asked some basic security questions like my mother's maiden name and name of my employer.  Typed everything into her computer and I signed some paperwork. But when we finished up she said I'd receive a "response" within 7-10 days, which made me worried I was going to get rejected.  I guess we will see- did anyone who applied in-branch NOT get immediately approved? If so what happened?  I had thought most folks who went to a branch received instantaneous approval.

...and I was rejected.  Got the letter in the mail today.  Said too many credit cards open in the last two years.  Bummer!  Time to apply for the two Southwest cards to try to get the companion pass.  Good luck to others!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #943 on: January 28, 2017, 04:13:23 PM »

...and I was rejected.  Got the letter in the mail today.  Said too many credit cards open in the last two years.  Bummer!  Time to apply for the two Southwest cards to try to get the companion pass.  Good luck to others!

The Southwest cards are also Chase, and also under 5/24 rules (if you have 5 new cards in the last 24 months, no new cards from Chase.) If you were rejected for too many cards, you are very likely to be rejected again.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #944 on: January 28, 2017, 08:29:49 PM »

The Southwest cards are also Chase, and also under 5/24 rules (if you have 5 new cards in the last 24 months, no new cards from Chase.) If you were rejected for too many cards, you are very likely to be rejected again.

I was just about to ask about this.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #945 on: January 30, 2017, 06:47:17 AM »

Only Chase branded cards are under 5/24. Southwest is not. Like Chase CC that gets UR points.
Southwest, Hyatt, Marriot, etc....are not.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #946 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Only Chase branded cards are under 5/24. Southwest is not. Like Chase CC that gets UR points.

This is not entirely correct. Some co-branded cards are under 5/24, some are not. Southwest is under 5/24.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
« Reply #947 on: January 30, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »
Thanks for the heads up re Southwest being under 5/24-- I got conflicting advice on another thread.  I did apply online and got the foreboding "we'll let you know within 30 days" response which probably means I'm going to be rejected.  Guess it's back to the drawing table and time to decide whether I apply for something else or lay low until I get under 5/24 in November.  DH has the Reserve so at least one of us is benefiting from that sweet deal!

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #948 on: January 30, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »

My mistake.
I did a search on it and it only showed the top portion with the word continue.... I never continue....

ZagNation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #949 on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »
Thankfully two accounts dropped off my credit report just in time (putting me at 3/24) for me to walk into a Chase branch last week and get approved! That was the quickest $4000 I've ever spent! Purchased (8) $500 Costco cash cards for my grocery/gas spending over the next ten months.

I know people have received fairly generous credit limits on the CSR but I was not expecting $20,900...the following day I applied and was approved for the Freedom card to round out my Chase Trifecta (have the Freedom Unlimited as well). This is my n=1 anecdotal evidence yet I posit Chase extends approximately half your stated income in credit as I am currently sitting at 35K. Even though I know you can leverage the signup bonus for free travel I will redeem the 100K bonus UR points as cash and alter my churning strategy slightly to go after the safe issuers for trade-line sales. I plan on keeping all of the aforementioned Chase cards as I believe the benefits and perks are worthy of the net $150 annual fee.

Last I checked my Credit Karma score was sitting at ~800 (797 FICO from BECU after receiving a personal LOC in the same week to use as springy debt for emergencies).