Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus  (Read 281285 times)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus
« Reply #850 on: January 10, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »
What's the median retirement expenditure for mustachians though?  If it's anything like MMM at $24k, $2000 in benefits is 8% of annual spend.

One of the things I have learned from my aging parents is that you will no longer qualify for new credit cards once you no longer have regular employment income.  Churning is a game designed for people who don't really need the money.  Poor folks don't qualify.
Not so sure about that - we've been retired for over 3 years and have been churning a storm for the last 2.  I put our income at $35,000/year, which is about what we pull out of investments, and haven't been turned down yet.  CSP for each of us, Amex Starwood for each, Barclay USAir (now AA) for each, Freedom Unlimited for each, CSR for DH (I'm over 5/24), and a couple others.

I hope you're right.  Churning could be a useful side gig in retirement, I'm just not sure I can count on it.
After posting this, I applied for 2 more - an Amex with a $150 bonus for spending $1000, 10% back on Amazon for 6 months, and 6% back on groceries ($95 annual fee).  Citibank card with 50,000 AA miles (no annual fee the first year).  Got them both.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #851 on: January 10, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
What's the median retirement expenditure for mustachians though?  If it's anything like MMM at $24k, $2000 in benefits is 8% of annual spend.

One of the things I have learned from my aging parents is that you will no longer qualify for new credit cards once you no longer have regular employment income.  Churning is a game designed for people who don't really need the money.  Poor folks don't qualify.
Not so sure about that - we've been retired for over 3 years and have been churning a storm for the last 2.  I put our income at $35,000/year, which is about what we pull out of investments, and haven't been turned down yet.  CSP for each of us, Amex Starwood for each, Barclay USAir (now AA) for each, Freedom Unlimited for each, CSR for DH (I'm over 5/24), and a couple others.

I've started seeing them ask for investment balances too, which I assume factors into their calculations

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: January 10, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »
Has anyone had any points taken away after cancelation.  I just cancelled my Delta amex & the recording says they have the right to take away any points earned.  I think I got 50,000 when I signed up and have about 95,000 sitting in my Delta account right now.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #853 on: January 10, 2017, 06:28:18 PM »

This is part of the reason I am applying for new credit cards now, because pretty soon I will be stuck with those same cards for the rest of my life, unable to get new ones.  Maybe someone should add this tidbit to the "retirement checklist" thread:  sign up for a bunch of new credit cards while you still have high earned income.

My retired parents were just denied a home equity line of credit for an amount smaller than the balance of their savings account at the same bank.  Retirees can't get loans or credit, it seems, even with an 800+ credit rating.

Good reason to collect a variety of credit cards now.

Setting up a HELOC before FIRE is already part of the plan.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #854 on: January 10, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »

I hope you're right.  Churning could be a useful side gig in retirement, I'm just not sure I can count on it.
After posting this, I applied for 2 more - an Amex with a $150 bonus for spending $1000, 10% back on Amazon for 6 months, and 6% back on groceries ($95 annual fee).  Citibank card with 50,000 AA miles (no annual fee the first year).  Got them both.
As another data point, I was approved for 14 new credit cards in November, after having been retired since February.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #855 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »
New poster wanted to sign up for this card, but have a quick question.  I currently have 70k ultimate reward points tied to my chase sapphire card.  If I get the Sapphire Reserve will I be able to transfer my 70k points into this cards account and then get the 1.5 multiplier on top of it? In theory this will give me an added 17500 travel points right?  I'm still on the fence on this card and if I can do this it will push me over the edge.  Thanks for any input

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #856 on: January 10, 2017, 11:09:42 PM »
New poster wanted to sign up for this card, but have a quick question.  I currently have 70k ultimate reward points tied to my chase sapphire card.  If I get the Sapphire Reserve will I be able to transfer my 70k points into this cards account and then get the 1.5 multiplier on top of it? In theory this will give me an added 17500 travel points right?  I'm still on the fence on this card and if I can do this it will push me over the edge.  Thanks for any input

Yes, you can. After I get the sign up bonus for the CSR I'm considering chasing the chase sapphire preferred and chase freedom unlimited bonuses as well and rolling them all over to the CSR.

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #857 on: January 11, 2017, 07:25:51 AM »
We've previously established that the median income for mustachians is about $100k/year, and many of us are struggling with OMY syndrome as we push our retirement dates back farther and farther.  At that salary, it's literally five more workdays to get this much benefit.  Work one more week, and never have to worry about gift cards or travel redemptions or point conversions our minimum spend requirements.

You're on a website where people are optimizing electricity usage, turning down thermostats, eating excessive quantities of oatmeal, living in their cars, bicycling to work, etc. etc. to save a few bucks, and you're worried that it's not worth it to make a tax-free four figures in an hour or two of easy work? :-)

Yes, I know.  The financial motivations behind those decisions are purely the frosting on top.  This is essentially a lifestyle blog about how to be healthier and happier and more environmentally friendly, and the $$$ is just the vector, the pathway to get people to make changes for the better.

I don't think I will be happier credit card churning to save a few bucks, in the same way that I am happier biking to work to save a few bucks.  Or better yet, happier retiring early with those saved bucks, which I will not continue to save once I am no longer commuting or qualifying for credit cards.

I applied in mid-November.  Got the card, spent $4K on some remodel expenses plus a little more than $300 in travel.  I have had the $300 credited back already, and I've bought 6 tickets through the travel site using most of my $100K points on airlines I have no affiliation with but needed to use for the direct flights.    I don't understand what your negatives are at all - but I'm not going to struggle with it.  I can still by a non-stop roundtrip ticket on an airline I'm not affiliated with using my remaining points.  Total and complete bonus for me all the way around. And I again have a $300 credit for travel. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #858 on: January 11, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »

Question regarding the travel credit, I opened my account mid/late December 2016 (around the 20th). I didn't receive the card until the 27th and the $450 annual fee posted on 1/1/2017. Therefore, I will be cancelling/downgrading the card by 12/31/2016. I'm a bit confused by the language surrounding the $300 travel credit. If my statement posts early December, would I be able to incur $300 in travel charges after that date to double up on the travel credit for 2017 while cancelling before the second $450 fee?

Everyone should have a chance to double up on the credit.  It's based on the year of the statement date.  Later this year you should be receiving your december 2017 statement, which will be dated for some date in december.  Any purchases that post to your account before that date will be credited towards your 2017 travel credit allowance.  Any purchases that post to your account after that statement date (even though they are still made in december 2017 before you cancel) will count as your 2018 travel credit allowance, because it will appear on your january 2018 statement.  It only matters when the charge actually posts to your account, which could take several days.  I purchased air line gift cards to utilize my 2016 credit, and it took several days to actually post into the account.  You might be cutting it close if your december statement comes late in the month, and you have to make a purchase AND have it post to your account before you cancel on dec 31.

This is part of the reason I am applying for new credit cards now, because pretty soon I will be stuck with those same cards for the rest of my life, unable to get new ones.  Maybe someone should add this tidbit to the "retirement checklist" thread:  sign up for a bunch of new credit cards while you still have high earned income.

My retired parents were just denied a home equity line of credit for an amount smaller than the balance of their savings account at the same bank.  Retirees can't get loans or credit, it seems, even with an 800+ credit rating.

Every application I fill out asks for my employer and my annual income, but I don't think any of them have ever actually verified that information.  Except my mortgage, they totally checked everything out, which is ironic because the house is collateral.  If I max my credit cards and don't pay, how is chase going to repossess $100k worth of fancy dinners?

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #859 on: January 11, 2017, 09:29:44 AM »

Question regarding the travel credit, I opened my account mid/late December 2016 (around the 20th). I didn't receive the card until the 27th and the $450 annual fee posted on 1/1/2017. Therefore, I will be cancelling/downgrading the card by 12/31/2016. I'm a bit confused by the language surrounding the $300 travel credit. If my statement posts early December, would I be able to incur $300 in travel charges after that date to double up on the travel credit for 2017 while cancelling before the second $450 fee?

Everyone should have a chance to double up on the credit.  It's based on the year of the statement date.  Later this year you should be receiving your december 2017 statement, which will be dated for some date in december.  Any purchases that post to your account before that date will be credited towards your 2017 travel credit allowance.  Any purchases that post to your account after that statement date (even though they are still made in december 2017 before you cancel) will count as your 2018 travel credit allowance, because it will appear on your january 2018 statement.  It only matters when the charge actually posts to your account, which could take several days.  I purchased air line gift cards to utilize my 2016 credit, and it took several days to actually post into the account.  You might be cutting it close if your december statement comes late in the month, and you have to make a purchase AND have it post to your account before you cancel on dec 31.

It will likely be worth changing the statement date such that the statement date posts early in the month!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #860 on: January 11, 2017, 09:38:29 AM »

I've started seeing them ask for investment balances too, which I assume factors into their calculations

I've only seen Amex ask for investment balances, and their upper bound was just "> $500k", which I found oddly low.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #861 on: January 11, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »

I've only seen Amex ask for investment balances, and their upper bound was just "> $500k", which I found oddly low.

Why?  What kind of credit are they extending you that they could possibly need to consider investments in excess of half a million dollars?

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #862 on: January 11, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »

Every application I fill out asks for my employer and my annual income, but I don't think any of them have ever actually verified that information.  Except my mortgage, they totally checked everything out, which is ironic because the house is collateral.  If I max my credit cards and don't pay, how is chase going to repossess $100k worth of fancy dinners?

Credit cards are considered unsecured debt.
I have jokingly told my wife we can "cash" out all our CC which would be in the $150K range, move to another country and they couldn't do anything.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #863 on: January 11, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »

Credit cards are considered unsecured debt.
I have jokingly told my wife we can "cash" out all our CC which would be in the $150K range, move to another country and they couldn't do anything.

I know, that's the crazy part.  When it's secured by a house they scrutinize everything and need multiple pay stubs and copies of bank accounts, etc.  When it's for the same amount of unsecured debt they approve me in less than a minute just on my word.  You claim to make $70k/yr? We don't need to verify that, here are 5 credit cards with a $30k limit.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #864 on: January 11, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger.  Signed up today and got instantly approved.  My home owner's insurance is due next month so I shouldn't have any problem meeting the spending requirement.  The only thing I don't like is I'd rather of signed up for the card in February so it would give me more time to collect the $300 travel credit for next year also.  I guess if worse comes to worse I'll just do the gift card purchase trick.   I'm sure it's going to look funny me getting the $300 travel credit and canceling the card a couple days later but oh well.  Thanks Chase!

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #865 on: January 11, 2017, 03:31:52 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and pulled the trigger.  Signed up today and got instantly approved.  My home owner's insurance is due next month so I shouldn't have any problem meeting the spending requirement.  The only thing I don't like is I'd rather of signed up for the card in February so it would give me more time to collect the $300 travel credit for next year also.  I guess if worse comes to worse I'll just do the gift card purchase trick.   I'm sure it's going to look funny me getting the $300 travel credit and canceling the card a couple days later but oh well.  Thanks Chase!

You don't even really need to.
When you get charged the and $450, wait until the due date to cancel the card and get the refund.
Also you can cancel anytime and get the pro-rated refund. Wait a month ?? Get $450-$37.5(for the first month) back.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #866 on: January 11, 2017, 03:32:40 PM »
One thing I was shocked about was the credit limit they gave me for this card. We got 2x as much as our highest credit limit on any other credit card.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #867 on: January 11, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
I'm a bit surprised too. Every time I get a Chase card I usually get ~$15K. This time I got $29,900. Don't know why.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #868 on: January 11, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »
I'm a bit surprised too. Every time I get a Chase card I usually get ~$15K. This time I got $29,900. Don't know why.

Odd. Just got the CSP since the CSR is done, only got an extra $5k, lowest i have gotten fpr a CL in a long time. Of course, it's my 4th Chase card...

I will have to check when i get home, but i think i have a bit over 50% of my gross annual income in Chase credit cards, more like 250% for all cards together.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:39:06 PM by TomTX »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #869 on: January 11, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »

Odd. Just got the CSP since the CSR is done, only got an extra $5k, lowest i have gotten fpr a CL in a long time. Of course, it's my 4th Chase card...

I will have to check when i get home, but i think i have a bit over 50% of my gross annual income in Chase credit cards, more like 250% for all cards together.

Sometimes the higher limit is to appeal to your ego so you'll use the card more.  It also can (not on Mustachians, *of course*) have a wealth effect that results in people spending more because they have a high limit, then they can't pay it off, then they get into Minimum Payment Purgatory, which I'm sure Chase likes.

As for the second comment about the low CL, most issuers will max out how much of your annual income they will issue you in total.  Once you get to that point, you have to either accept your fate or shift credit limits around to/from various cards depending on your goals/priorities for each card.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #870 on: January 11, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »
I thought the high limit was also to compete with the other luxury cards with the high annual fees - like the black card (mastercard) which has a $495 fee.  Their target market is folks that charge alot.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #871 on: January 11, 2017, 06:43:17 PM »
When my DH got the CSR, he had to move around Chase credit limits to get the minimum required for of at least 20k for the CSR.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #872 on: January 11, 2017, 09:53:34 PM »
When my DH got the CSR, he had to move around Chase credit limits to get the minimum required for of at least 20k for the CSR.

Really ?? $20K is the minimum for the card ??
Wife was with me when I got the card at the branch. I told the CS to check offers for my wife too and she told me my wife also have the offer for the CSR. I almost asked her to do an application for my wife too but I had second thought about spending $8K in 90 days so I waited. I heard the 100k pt offer will still be good until March so I'll wait.
My wife just work PT but I've put her on my card since the beginning and she has excellent credit for someone with no real income. I was going to have her submit her income as $40K since they really can't verify it. Maybe they will ask her to, maybe not. I'll see in March if someone with no real income can get this card especially when you said the minimum for this card is $20K CL.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #873 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »

Wife was with me when I got the card at the branch. I told the CS to check offers for my wife too and she told me my wife also have the offer for the CSR. I almost asked her to do an application for my wife too but I had second thought about spending $8K in 90 days so I waited. I heard the 100k pt offer will still be good until March so I'll wait.
My wife just work PT but I've put her on my card since the beginning and she has excellent credit for someone with no real income. I was going to have her submit her income as $40K since they really can't verify it. Maybe they will ask her to, maybe not. I'll see in March if someone with no real income can get this card especially when you said the minimum for this card is $20K CL.

You report all income you have "reasonable expectation of access" to.  Since you are married you should both just report your combined income.  I checked into this before getting the card as my wife has no income and had the same questions. 

This also seems directly related to sol's post above about not being able to get credit cards once you FIRE.  You should be able to list retirement fund distributions and social security of both you and your spouse on the credit card application.  Unless you are doing a roth pipeline and are technically living off savings instead of actual distributions for the first 5 years or so...but in that case I would just lie because I think they are unlikely to verify your claims.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #874 on: January 11, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »

You report all income you have "reasonable expectation of access" to.  Since you are married you should both just report your combined income.  I checked into this before getting the card as my wife has no income and had the same questions. 

This also seems directly related to sol's post above about not being able to get credit cards once you FIRE.  You should be able to list retirement fund distributions and social security of both you and your spouse on the credit card application.  Unless you are doing a roth pipeline and are technically living off savings instead of actual distributions for the first 5 years or so...but in that case I would just lie because I think they are unlikely to verify your claims.

This is basically true. Thanks for the tips.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #875 on: January 12, 2017, 09:02:45 AM »
Just got my card today, but I have a question:  when I look at my points for the Preferred card it says I get a 25% bonus if I redeem them for travel. If I transfer the points to the Reserve, will I get the 50% bonus for redeeming on travel?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #876 on: January 12, 2017, 09:14:05 AM »
Just got my card today, but I have a question:  when I look at my points for the Preferred card it says I get a 25% bonus if I redeem them for travel. If I transfer the points to the Reserve, will I get the 50% bonus for redeeming on travel?
Yes, as well as any points you transfer from the Freedom cards.  It's only good if you use their agency (it's not that your 100k points would transfer to UA as 150k points), but it's a nice bonus if you'd use the agency (cars, air travel not accessible with points, cruises, hotels, etc.)

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #877 on: January 12, 2017, 08:50:14 PM »
These guys don't waste time.
I applied and got approved on Tues 3pm. Its now Thursday and I have the card at my door step.
Time to start paying some bills and get that 100K pts.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: January 13, 2017, 08:01:03 AM »
I just used my points  to buy round trip tickets to Italy.

3 of us, and out of  pocket expenses will be about $125 ($2196 tickets, $1771 from points, $300 travel reimbursement).

Sweet! Italy, here we come!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
« Reply #879 on: January 13, 2017, 08:22:35 AM »
I just used my points  to buy round trip tickets to Italy.

3 of us, and out of  pocket expenses will be about $125 ($2196 tickets, $1771 from points, $300 travel reimbursement).

Sweet! Italy, here we come!

Yay!  Malaysia41 on this board lives in northern Italy, FYI.  Never met her but I think she's a cool cat.

Duke03

• Bristles
« Reply #880 on: January 13, 2017, 05:48:46 PM »
Got my card today.  It didn't come in a fancy box like a lot of other people got.  Oh well I already transferred all my sapphire preferred rewards over to the reserve card.  That resulted in an extra $300 in rewards in travel category. Easy money for less than 2 minutes of work.

CloserToFree

• Bristles
  • 30-sth lawyer (for now), traveler, lover of nature
« Reply #881 on: January 14, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
Love reading about what folks are doing with their points - inspiring!  And thanks to the OP for getting this thread going all that time ago, it's been super useful to so many of us.

I'm really (but cautiously) excited because I just realized that there are Chase branch locations where we're going to be traveling this coming week! I'm planning on walking in and applying for the Reserve in person -- no idea if I'll be successful given I have no Chase accounts and don't live in the place we'll be visiting, but I figure it's worth a try.  What's the worst that can happen?  I get rejected, and I'm in the same spot I'm in now ;-P  I'll report back on how it goes - and if anyone has tips on what to say in-branch, PM me or post here.  Thx!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #882 on: January 14, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »
Love reading about what folks are doing with their points - inspiring!  And thanks to the OP for getting this thread going all that time ago, it's been super useful to so many of us.

I'm really (but cautiously) excited because I just realized that there are Chase branch locations where we're going to be traveling this coming week! I'm planning on walking in and applying for the Reserve in person -- no idea if I'll be successful given I have no Chase accounts and don't live in the place we'll be visiting, but I figure it's worth a try.  What's the worst that can happen?  I get rejected, and I'm in the same spot I'm in now ;-P  I'll report back on how it goes - and if anyone has tips on what to say in-branch, PM me or post here.  Thx!

I would just walk in and say you'd like to apply for a Sapphire Reserve card. Banks love getting new accounts.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #883 on: January 14, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »

I would just walk in and say you'd like to apply for a Sapphire Reserve card. Banks love getting new accounts.

Yep, or just ask what you're prequalified for. I stopped by a branch last week while in NJ and turns out that I was prequalified for every card including the CSR despite being over 5/24. Strange that Chase is so strict about 5/24 until you're in-branch at which point you can get just about whatever you want, but I suppose we should just be glad there is some way around the rule.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:14:13 PM by dcmustachio »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #884 on: January 14, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »

Yep, or just ask what your prequalified for. I stopped by a branch last week while in NJ and turns out that I was prequalified for every card including the CSR despite being over 5/24. Strange that Chase is so strict about 5/24 until you're in branch at which point you can get just about whatever you want, but I suppose we should just be glad their is some way around the rule.

I wasn't prequalified and am over 5/24...I was going to try in branch on March (when I drop off 5/24 if they ignore a Target REDCard), right before the promo offer goes from 100k to 50k points. I'm wondering if it's worth trying now...

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #885 on: January 14, 2017, 03:02:05 PM »

There is also a $300 checking account signup bonus if you can make a direct deposit happen and don't mind leaving $1500 in there for 6 months. Can be combined with the $200 savings account signup bonus, though that will tie up $15,025 for the first 3 months, then $1,525 for the remaining 3 months.

You can pull the codes for the bonuses online now - up until this week, it was only via paper mailers with a single-use code.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #886 on: January 14, 2017, 09:34:12 PM »

Yep, or just ask what your prequalified for. I stopped by a branch last week while in NJ and turns out that I was prequalified for every card including the CSR despite being over 5/24. Strange that Chase is so strict about 5/24 until you're in branch at which point you can get just about whatever you want, but I suppose we should just be glad their is some way around the rule.

I wasn't prequalified and am over 5/24...I was going to try in branch on March (when I drop off 5/24 if they ignore a Target REDCard), right before the promo offer goes from 100k to 50k points. I'm wondering if it's worth trying now...

If you read my post, I was not pre-qualified at the branch only around 2 months ago and got rejected online at around the same time. Just this past few weeks was when I found out was was qualified for the card when I made a deposit in branch. Same thing goes for my wife although I haven't actually apply for my wife to see if she will get the card or not.
Doesn't hurt to stop by the branch again.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #887 on: January 14, 2017, 11:00:57 PM »
I just got my card. First time I've opened a card for the sign-up bonus in a few years. The bonuses are usually not high enough for me to feel like it's worthwhile bothering, but I couldn't resist this one. I like the way the metal card sounds when you tap it on things.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #888 on: January 15, 2017, 06:43:12 AM »
I just got my card. First time I've opened a card for the sign-up bonus in a few years. The bonuses are usually not high enough for me to feel like it's worthwhile bothering, but I couldn't resist this one. I like the way the metal card sounds when you tap it on things.

Makes the standard plastic cards seem cheap and flimsy...

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #889 on: January 15, 2017, 10:28:53 AM »

Makes the standard plastic cards seem cheap and flimsy...

A few months ago (October and November 2016), both my wife and I got one. Our first attempted on credit card churning. I guess we couldn't resist it either.
Happy to say that we already got the points in addition to $300 travel credit for the calendar year 2016. We bought $600 worth of SouthWest gift cards.

You can see the details and some additional information with screenshots etc. here: http://www.dailygrindfree.com/2017/01/14/where-are-we-at-with-our-2-chase-sapphire-reserve-cards/

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #890 on: January 16, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »
Weird -- I just got my new Chase Sapphire Reserve card via UPS, and the APRs for my account are even lower than the lowest range that was advertised.  Obvs, I'm never going to accrue any interest; I was just puzzled by this.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #891 on: January 17, 2017, 01:06:16 PM »
What are people's plans for keeping this card?

Will you cancel before the annual $450 fee this year for those that acquired one last year?  Or do you feel the $300 travel reimbursement and other perks are worth keeping it for the long haul?

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #892 on: January 17, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »

Will you cancel before the annual $450 fee this year for those that acquired one last year?  Or do you feel the $300 travel reimbursement and other perks are worth keeping it for the long haul?

I'm keeping it despite the $150 net cost per year after travel reimbursement for two reasons:
  • 1.5x travel redemption - means 7.5% back on Chase Freedom bonus categories and 2.25% on Chase Freedom Ulimited spending by transferring points to Reserve
  • The perks - No Foreign Transaction Fee, Global Entry, Priority Pass Select, Rental and Trip Insurance

Livewell

• Stubble
« Reply #893 on: January 17, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »
Just a quick note for anyone who first got the Sapphire Preferred card and then jumped on the Reserve card, I just closed my Preferred account in 3 minutes.  Super easy.  I'm expecting more when I flip the reserve.

I just called the -3319 number on the back of the card, got a live person right away.

Livewell

• Stubble
« Reply #894 on: January 17, 2017, 01:39:06 PM »

It's been a good ride, got max value from points, bonus points, booked though their website, 2x$300 reimbursements, TSA Pre credit.  that said I think it's time to move on soon.  I have time to see what new goodies the banks offer.  I will say I've been impressed by Chases website and customer service.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #895 on: January 17, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »

I'm keeping it despite the $150 net cost per year after travel reimbursement for two reasons:
  • 1.5x travel redemption - means 7.5% back on Chase Freedom bonus categories and 2.25% on Chase Freedom Ulimited spending by transferring points to Reserve
  • The perks - No Foreign Transaction Fee, Global Entry, Priority Pass Select, Rental and Trip Insurance

Thanks...I hope more people will chime in to mention if they'll be keeping it or not.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #896 on: January 17, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »

It's been a good ride, got max value from points, bonus points, booked though their website, 2x$300 reimbursements, TSA Pre credit.  that said I think it's time to move on soon.  I have time to see what new goodies the banks offer.  I will say I've been impressed by Chases website and customer service.

Thanks...I need to decide if I will keep it mysel for not....

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #897 on: January 17, 2017, 02:16:17 PM »
If you're comparing keeping a CSR to a CSP, this is a pretty good breakdown - http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/09/02/sapphire-reserve-points-bonus/

It estimates that if you spend $3200/year on travel, you should keep the reserve notwithstanding the higher fee.  I travel fairly frequently for work (with expensive refundable fares), and I have to front the expenses on my cc and get reimbursed, so hitting this amount is easy for me.  The CSR is a no-brainer.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #898 on: January 17, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
If you're comparing keeping a CSR to a CSP, this is a pretty good breakdown - http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/09/02/sapphire-reserve-points-bonus/

It estimates that if you spend $3200/year on travel, you should keep the reserve notwithstanding the higher fee.  I travel fairly frequently for work (with expensive refundable fares), and I have to front the expenses on my cc and get reimbursed, so hitting this amount is easy for me.  The CSR is a no-brainer.

If you use the Global Entry credit, that also narrows the gap considerably.  Any airport lounge use would also tip the scales (Priority Pass Select is ranges from a minimum $99/yr plus $27/visit to $399/year with unlimited visits).  Note that a paid Priority Pass select package, regardless of tier, has a $27 guest fee.  The Sapphire Reserve Priority Pass allows free guests.

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #899 on: January 17, 2017, 03:06:50 PM »
I plan to keep the one we have.

Question: does anyone know if prequalifying in branch is the same as the prequalification check on chase.com?  (I fail the latter so wondering if there is a point to trying in branch).