Author Topic: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus  (Read 280958 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Chase Sapphire Reserve; 100,000 points signup bonus
« Reply #500 on: September 27, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »
Does Chase's 5/24 rule also factor in non-Chase products? I've found conflicting information online -- if it's just Chase, I should be good as of Nov 1st...

According to /r/churning it includes all cards, not just Chase cards. I'd take that as pretty definitive.

That's incredibly unfortunate. Oh well.

pxpaulx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #501 on: September 27, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »
My wife applied for the CSR and got an extra card in my name.

I had hoped to do two separate accounts for each of us and then banking 200,000 points. But, can I still apply for my own account now?

I heard the extra card costs ($70?) for the CSR.  Just a heads up as it was surprising to me since it's usually free on most cards.

I think its $75.  How is it possible that they can send a AU card instead of one in her own name.  I was planning on doing the same.  Anybody else have experience with spouse applying for a separate card?

Both my wife and I got separate cards.  I don't think they really know or care if two applicants are married besides having the same address or last name

They don't care, I asked today because we had added myself as an authorized user on my wife's card last month. They said I would still earn the sign up bonus when the 4k spend is met.  Will only keep this second card for the year or until the bonus is used up.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #502 on: September 27, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
My wife applied for the CSR and got an extra card in my name.

I had hoped to do two separate accounts for each of us and then banking 200,000 points. But, can I still apply for my own account now?

I heard the extra card costs ($70?) for the CSR.  Just a heads up as it was surprising to me since it's usually free on most cards.

I think its $75.  How is it possible that they can send a AU card instead of one in her own name.  I was planning on doing the same.  Anybody else have experience with spouse applying for a separate card?

Both my wife and I got separate cards.  I don't think they really know or care if two applicants are married besides having the same address or last name

They don't care, I asked today because we had added myself as an authorized user on my wife's card last month. They said I would still earn the sign up bonus when the 4k spend is met.  Will only keep this second card for the year or until the bonus is used up.

Adding an AU does NOT give you another extra 100k pts on 4k spend bonus.  You will still only get $300 travel credit between the primary cardholder and all AUs.  And you will only get one tsa precheck or global reentry credit per account.

jbjr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #503 on: September 28, 2016, 01:30:47 PM »
Thanks to all for the info in this post. I applied and received the card.

I had heard there is a $100 airfare discount available for Visa Infinite cards (namely the Ritz Carlton Visa)? Does anyone know if that same benefit is available on the CSR?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:35:04 PM by jbjr »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #504 on: September 28, 2016, 02:18:57 PM »

I had heard there is a $100 airfare discount available for Visa Infinite cards (namely the Ritz Carlton Visa)? Does anyone know if that same benefit is available on the CSR?

Good question.  I haven't been able to find the CSR on the Visa Infinite Website.  Here are some examples for other cards:

https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/
https://www.visadiscountair.com/ritzcarltoncard/

edit:

" Update: Chase has clarified that some Visa Infinite perks, such as a $100 airfare discount, are not included with this card. ."

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #505 on: September 29, 2016, 05:40:05 PM »
For those that paid for Global Entry, how long does it take from when you pay for it online to you getting approved.  If I paid for it now, would it be ready for me to use for a trip to Asia the last week of November?
It looks like the closest office for me to get interviewed and processed is 2 hours away, so it may be awhile before I can get it anyways. 

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: September 29, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
Not sure on Global Entry, but TSA Pre took about a month.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #507 on: September 29, 2016, 07:37:54 PM »
Is minor permitted to apply for TSA/Global Entry?

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »

Global Entry: If you are under the age of 18, you must have your parent or legal guardian's consent to participate in the program.

TSA Prep: There is no age restriction to apply for TSA Pre✓®. However, family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA Pre✓® indicator on their boarding pass can participate in expedited screening.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #509 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »

Global Entry: If you are under the age of 18, you must have your parent or legal guardian's consent to participate in the program.

TSA Prep: There is no age restriction to apply for TSA Pre✓®. However, family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA Pre✓® indicator on their boarding pass can participate in expedited screening.

I like this  So, what's the difference between the two?

Sorry, too lazy to look up.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #510 on: September 29, 2016, 09:51:59 PM »

global entry to get through airport customs, tsa precheck to get through tsa on domestic flights

doug111

• Stubble
« Reply #511 on: September 29, 2016, 11:16:05 PM »
I am thinking about this one.  Seems like a lot of great benefits.  I need to make sure I can meet the spend (finishing up another one at the moment).
You spoke of the minimum spend. You dont know of the manufactured spending tricks ?

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #512 on: September 30, 2016, 08:13:39 AM »

It is replaced by the $300 travel credit.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: September 30, 2016, 08:14:22 AM »
If one is an AU now but is removed prior to applying for a CSR (or any Chase card), does Chase still count that AU as part of 5/24?  ie you're an AU for a few months to meet the spend and then no longer an AU for a couple of months before applying.

I have seen conflicting info on this.  TIA!

Get taken off as an AU, wait for the info to percolate, and the AU card no longer counts against you for 5/24

katsiki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #514 on: September 30, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »
If one is an AU now but is removed prior to applying for a CSR (or any Chase card), does Chase still count that AU as part of 5/24?  ie you're an AU for a few months to meet the spend and then no longer an AU for a couple of months before applying.

Get taken off as an AU, wait for the info to percolate, and the AU card no longer counts against you for 5/24

Thank you!  I thought that is how it should work.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #515 on: September 30, 2016, 10:48:34 AM »
For those that paid for Global Entry, how long does it take from when you pay for it online to you getting approved.  If I paid for it now, would it be ready for me to use for a trip to Asia the last week of November?
It looks like the closest office for me to get interviewed and processed is 2 hours away, so it may be awhile before I can get it anyways.

I think this is location dependent, plus a bit of luck.  IIRC it took me about 3 weeks to get an appointment and another 2 to get approved.  My friends (same city, applying a month or so later) got an appointment right away (week or so) however, they had been to Cuba in the past 5 years.  After the initial appointment they had to locate their State Department permission documentation and post it on the website.  Then it took awhile (not sure how long I wasn't applying that much attention) before it got reviewed.

I've heard stories of shorter and longer times to get appointments in different cities.    I would definitely go for it if I were you.  Avoiding long lines after a 15-20 hour flight is priceless.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #516 on: September 30, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »

global entry to get through airport customs, tsa precheck to get through tsa on domestic flights
With Global Entry you get TSA precheck included.  If possible get Global Entry - its only $15 more even if you have to pay for it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #517 on: September 30, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »

With Global Entry you get TSA precheck included.  If possible get Global Entry - its only $15 more even if you have to pay for it.

You're eligible for TSA precheck with Global Entry.

You're eligible for TSA precheck with TSA pre.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #518 on: September 30, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »

Thank you!  I thought that is how it should work.

As an FYI, when I did this I sped up the process by disputing the AU cards on Credit Karma once I was no longer an AU.

bikebuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #519 on: September 30, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »
Thanks to whoever suggested it earlier in this thread, I was able to do a "product change" to the Freedom card from my CSR and my annual fee was fully refunded since it had been less than 60 days since it was charged!  Really impressed with Chase's customer service.

I got my Priority Pass card but haven't had a chance to use it yet as there don't seem to be accessible lounges in the Airports that I frequent! 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #520 on: September 30, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »

I think this is location dependent, plus a bit of luck.  IIRC it took me about 3 weeks to get an appointment and another 2 to get approved.  My friends (same city, applying a month or so later) got an appointment right away (week or so) however, they had been to Cuba in the past 5 years.  After the initial appointment they had to locate their State Department permission documentation and post it on the website.  Then it took awhile (not sure how long I wasn't applying that much attention) before it got reviewed.

I've heard stories of shorter and longer times to get appointments in different cities.    I would definitely go for it if I were you.  Avoiding long lines after a 15-20 hour flight is priceless.

I just got conditional approval after 1 week.  I was "lucky" to get an appointment in November at SFO.  It looks like someone canceled because the next available date was in APRIL 2017(!).  Holy crap.

If you really want an appointment, I wonder if you could write a script to frequently check for openings
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 03:16:37 PM by dragoncar »

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #521 on: October 02, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »
Hi, apologize if these questions have been answered. Here are my 2 questions:

1.   Are the 100,000 points on one CSR card, or this is from primary user + authorized user, therefore 2 users (50K each)? 
2.   I am Costco member and spend about $5000 a year.  Can I, on receiving the card, go on Costco online to purchase $4000 worth of Costco cash cards, to satisfy the spending requirement and receive the bonus points?

Thanks

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: October 02, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
Hi, apologize if these questions have been answered. Here are my 2 questions:

1.   Are the 100,000 points on one CSR card, or this is from primary user + authorized user, therefore 2 users (50K each)? 
2.   I am Costco member and spend about $5000 a year.  Can I, on receiving the card, go on Costco online to purchase $4000 worth of Costco cash cards, to satisfy the spending requirement and receive the bonus points?

Thanks

1) Either. But keep in mind that you have to pay $75 for an AU.
2) It should.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #523 on: October 04, 2016, 06:18:54 PM »
Wife applied on 10/2 with instant approval.  Today (10/4) UPS package arrived with card, already activated.  This is impressive 2 day turn around. I created online account, paid utility and see it is showing posted as pending, so looks like it is working.

I have a car maintenance my mechanics recommended last month: timing belt, new brake pads.  So, I will get that out of the way, and see how much more spending I can come up with.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: October 05, 2016, 08:39:52 AM »
Don't shoot me for not reading the entire thread but I have a quick question about this card.

I have a United Mileage Plus Explorer card. 

Would the 100,000 points transfer to my United card as 100,000 miles...?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2016, 09:25:14 AM »
Okay so I have another question.  I read this online:

"Making Money Off the Annual Fee

Remember, this is $300 per calendar year. So if you apply for the card now, you have until December 31, 2016 to charge $300 worth of travel purchases to be credited. Then, you can charge another $300 in travel related purchases in 2017. That means you can get up to $600 in statement credits in just the first year of having the card. While the card comes with a $450 annual fee, you can get $600 worth of statement credits within that year. That means you are ahead $150 in addition. That is on top of the 100,000 point sign up bonus."

^^Is the above logic correct?  Why did they not include the additional $450 annual fee that would be charged in 2017?

I'm sure I'm having a slow moment and missing something here.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:15 AM »
Don't shoot me for not reading the entire thread but I have a quick question about this card.

They can transfer to your United Frequent Flyer account (or you can transfer them to other partners, your choice).  The United card miles automatically transfer to your United Frequent Flyer account (you have no choice there, they just transfer every month).

Remember, this is $300 per calendar year. So if you apply for the card now, you have until December 31, 2016 to charge $300 worth of travel purchases to be credited. Then, you can charge another $300 in travel related purchases in 2017. That means you can get up to $600 in statement credits in just the first year of having the card. While the card comes with a $450 annual fee, you can get $600 worth of statement credits within that year. That means you are ahead $150 in addition. That is on top of the 100,000 point sign up bonus."

^^Is the above logic correct?  Why did they not include the additional $450 annual fee that would be charged in 2017?

Because you don't have to keep the card another year and pay the second year's $450 annual fee.  If you cancel after getting both travel credits, you still keep both credits.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: October 05, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »

They can transfer to your United Frequent Flyer account (or you can transfer them to other partners, your choice).  The United card miles automatically transfer to your United Frequent Flyer account (you have no choice there, they just transfer every month).

Because you don't have to keep the card another year and pay the second year's $450 annual fee.  If you cancel after getting both travel credits, you still keep both credits.

Ok; so it is a 1:1 transfer then...thanks for confirming.

When does the second year's $450 annual fee hit?  I assumed it was at the beginning of the year; maybe that's where I'm getting confused. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #528 on: October 05, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »
The second year's fee is a year after you paid the first year's fee, so it depends on when you open the card.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2016, 09:52:22 AM »
When does the second year's $450 annual fee hit?  I assumed it was at the beginning of the year; maybe that's where I'm getting confused.

Other cards I have charge a fee on the anniversary of your sign-up date. No one would want to sign up in October, get charged $450, and then get charged another $450 three months later.

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2016, 09:52:29 AM »
The second year's fee is a year after you paid the first year's fee, so it depends on when you open the card.

That makes sense.  Thank you! :)

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »

Other cards I have charge a fee on the anniversary of your sign-up date. No one would want to sign up in October, get charged $450, and then get charged another $450 three months later.

Agreed; I don't have but 2 cards (without fees) so I wasn't sure how this worked and after just getting approved for the card I thought maybe I had made a mistake but I understand now when the second fee will hit what I'll probably end up doing is cancelling the card before it's charged next year.  (Unless I can get it waived somehow which I am not counting on but you never know.)

brockchristian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #532 on: October 05, 2016, 10:32:41 AM »
So I was denied when I applied. I called them up and was told I was denied because they can't offer me any more credit.

Turns out they are counting $50,000 in credit because of two business credit cards I have with Chase to support purchasing for a non-profit. 

I could perhaps reduce those credit amounts or switch one card to another provider, but was wondered if there are other ways to prevent credit cards issued to you in order to perform purchasing for an employer from being counted against your personnel credit.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #533 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:50 PM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but has anyone confirmed the $300 travel credit counts for gift cards. At South west for example?

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #534 on: October 05, 2016, 01:43:32 PM »
I just tried to apply through the Chase website and it says the offer is unavailable.  Anyway else see this?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #535 on: October 05, 2016, 01:45:13 PM »
I just tried to apply through the Chase website and it says the offer is unavailable.  Anyway else see this?

Crap, yes. I was sitting with the tab open all day debating applying or waiting a while. Guess I'm not getting it now.. Hopefully it comes back up!

I can't sign into my chase card either, says their site has problems. So it's probably just a site issue.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:47:17 PM by Scandium »

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #536 on: October 05, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »

Crap, yes. I was sitting with the tab open all day debating applying or waiting a while. Guess I'm not getting it now.. Hopefully it comes back up!

yes, I waiting to get one in my husbands name so we could spread out the timeframe (we recently got three other new cards and are working on the spends).  Bummer....guess I should have applied yesterday.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #537 on: October 05, 2016, 02:22:02 PM »
I can't log in to Chase at all, so perhaps it's not just the offer that's down.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #538 on: October 05, 2016, 02:23:24 PM »

Let's hope.  I also had trouble logging on after i checked the credit card offer, but I had been logged into chase just minutes before that just fine.   

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #539 on: October 05, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »

Let's hope.  I also had trouble logging on after i checked the credit card offer, but I had been logged into chase just minutes before that just fine.

I'm sure it's just the system is down.  Otherwise they would also remove the launch page.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #540 on: October 05, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »
Are theme part tickets qualify for $300 travel credit?  Universal Studio in Los Angeles charges $95 for one day pass nowadays.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #541 on: October 05, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
Are theme part tickets qualify for $300 travel credit?  Universal Studio in Los Angeles charges $95 for one day pass nowadays.
Think you can look up merchant classification from Visa. Don't have the website handy.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: October 05, 2016, 05:53:04 PM »

Probably not.  I bought tickets to national park & a famous tourist attraction in Canada & a tour and none of these counted towards travel.

fh2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #543 on: October 05, 2016, 06:16:07 PM »

Probably not.  I bought tickets to national park & a famous tourist attraction in Canada & a tour and none of these counted towards travel.

Hmm.  'Tour' does not qualify.  Is this the 2 hour guided tour and not qualified?

How about the 3 day road/bus trip (can also be called 'tour') purchased from a travel agency?   This is what I took a couple of months ago, and old credit card statement shows:
"Customized Tour Specia"  (it got cut off there)

If this qualifies, I can go with my wife and take a 3 day road trip again from that travel agency.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: October 06, 2016, 11:22:29 AM »

I'm sure it's just the system is down.  Otherwise they would also remove the launch page.

It's back up today. I'm filling it out now.

BTW; dragoncar your avatar weirded me out.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #545 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »

Hmm.  'Tour' does not qualify.  Is this the 2 hour guided tour and not qualified?

How about the 3 day road/bus trip (can also be called 'tour') purchased from a travel agency?   This is what I took a couple of months ago, and old credit card statement shows:
"Customized Tour Specia"  (it got cut off there)

If this qualifies, I can go with my wife and take a 3 day road trip again from that travel agency.

As for "tour" -one counted, one did not - a Whale watching tour that was 100% on a boat did give 3x points, a rafting & snorkeling tour only gave 1x points. 

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #546 on: October 06, 2016, 12:17:57 PM »

It's back up today. I'm filling it out now.

BTW; dragoncar your avatar weirded me out.

Yes, I saw that and completed an application as well.  thanks!

modulus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #547 on: October 06, 2016, 02:07:08 PM »
For the Global Entry perk of this card, how long does the whole process typically take?  I applied a couple days ago and the application still says pending review.  Being that this is the federal government, I don't know if I should expect to wait days, weeks, or months.  I expect there is probably a delay in waiting for the interview as well.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #548 on: October 06, 2016, 02:14:44 PM »
For the Global Entry perk of this card, how long does the whole process typically take?  I applied a couple days ago and the application still says pending review.  Being that this is the federal government, I don't know if I should expect to wait days, weeks, or months.  I expect there is probably a delay in waiting for the interview as well.

Mine was approved in a week but no interviews until april

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: October 06, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »

Depends heavily on how backed up the interview process is at your nearest center.  Here are my stats:  Applied on Sept 1, approved for interview on Sept 11.  Looked on Sept 12 for interview  - two closest centers were scheduling interviews for Dec or Feb 2017.  Found out a center that was 1.75 hours drive had interview openings every day so drove up there on the weekend.  Was approved Sept 16 at the interview  (they give you your trusted traveler # on the site so you can add it to any ticket bookings you have), got the card in the mail about 10 days later.