Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648256 times)

asauer

• Pencil Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1100 on: September 23, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »
So....I'm holding a freshly minted copy of my book in my hands. After a year+ of blood, sweat, tears and liver-compromising levels of alcohol consumption, it's actually here. And, I think it might actually be really good. I don't even fucking know how I feel right now. This is the strangest celebration feeling I've ever felt. Yay?

Congrats!  I felt the same way when my book was published- well, it was more like "I never want to see this fucking thing again".  Especially after editors have been going through it with a hacksaw.  A few margaritas cured that feeling though : )

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1101 on: September 24, 2015, 10:06:51 AM »
Waited like a year to get DW on board with the phone co. switch - her phone was in good shape and one or the other of us was facing a termination fee, etc.
We finally went from $140+ on AT&T family plan to two lines on Republic @ $55. Am expecting to get substantial refunds on data (1GB each) and may reduce the base plan once I see the results.

Also, parked biked to work today from the halfway point (my transitional strategy, as it's 10+, I need to build muscles, and the first half is sketchy - shoulderless highway or backroads and bushwacking). Tomorrow, a new bridge opens up that could give me a shorter and safer route (<9mi).

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1102 on: September 25, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
It's my birthday on sunday, and my gift that I gave myself is depositing the last 6,000$ needed to max out my TFSA. Now that that's done, I can max out my RRSP before the end of the year. Yay!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1103 on: September 28, 2015, 12:04:25 PM »
It's my birthday on sunday, and my gift that I gave myself is depositing the last 6,000$ needed to max out my TFSA. Now that that's done, I can max out my RRSP before the end of the year. Yay!

Awesome!! Congrats!

I just did some math this morning and discovered I may be able to max both mine out by the end of this year too. It's a stretch, and it might be a little tight, but worth trying. :) Amazing to me since originally my goal was to max them both out by next year. Considering for 10 years I contributed a whopping 200/month towards investments I had a long way to go to catch up. :)

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #1104 on: October 04, 2015, 11:43:41 PM »
I spent a couple of hours today pulling data on our YTD long-term savings. Including our mortgage principal, retirement accounts, emergency fund savings and 529 accounts (which is a pretty critical part of my retirement plan, since I plan to go back to college for another advanced degree at some point in the future) -- our savings rate is over 50% of our take-home pay!

Sooo excited! I knew we were above 40%, but couldn't prove it and still don't really believe it. Our nuclear explosion of cash is even larger than we thought it was!

Now I need to reset our savings goals. I'd like to have it up to 60% next year, and shoot for 75% within three years.

Still, riding the 50% wave is pretty cool!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1105 on: October 05, 2015, 03:52:03 AM »
Achievement get:
Networth > $50k

:D

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #1106 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
I paid off one of my loans returning $50 to my paycheck.  Also I increased my TSP allotment by $2 my stock allotment by $2 and saw my Acorns account is 0.26 cents away from $100.  And I was given a nice giftcard to use for $75....

cautiouspessimist

• Bristles
« Reply #1107 on: October 06, 2015, 07:12:04 AM »
I didn't really want to count it since it includes the equity in my house (which is fairly nebulous at best), but I hit 6 figures this week.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1108 on: October 08, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »
$1,000,290 !!!*

*includes home equity and 529s, does not account for transaction costs of liquidating home equity, 529s, or retirement accounts, I expect to celebrate the more-real-to-me milestone of retirement/bank account only $1MM in early 2017

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1109 on: October 09, 2015, 07:17:18 AM »
I got my first pay stub at my new job and realized that, given my catching-up phase on my 401k (started late this year and I am trying to max it) and now HSA access as well, my monthly pre-tax deductions are more than my entire earnings were when I bought my house less than 3 years ago.

$1,000,290 !!!*

*includes home equity and 529s, does not account for transaction costs of liquidating home equity, 529s, or retirement accounts, I expect to celebrate the more-real-to-me milestone of retirement/bank account only $1MM in early 2017

Awesome!! Congratulations! You've reached my ideal target number, too :D

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1110 on: October 11, 2015, 01:11:38 PM »
Wow!  I am, theoretically, FI!  I had gotten away from MMM for a little while and have been facepunch worthy spending, but still saving quite a bit.  I have not really been paying attention to my net worth.  I reviewed the numbers yesterday and really thought about it.  Between my home equity and investments I could sell in my high COL area, buy a simple rural home outright, and live a quiet life for the rest of my days.

If I wanted to make my hobbies my profession, I could.  If I wanted to write the great American novel (assuming I have the skill), I could.  If I wanted to simply spend my days reading, knitting, gardening, and hiking, I could. 

For now, I choose to continue working.  I enjoy my profession, I enjoy travel, and my family is here in this high COL area.  But for the first time in my life working is a choice.  My daughter is grown and gone, my son is still in college and living with me for now.  They each have their own money thanks to their late grandparents.  I am not in a hurry to upend my life and retire early quite yet, but I could.  What an amazing place to be in!

StackingStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1111 on: October 12, 2015, 10:35:59 AM »
-Paid off my car
-Paid off all credit card debit
-Cut the cable
-Slashed the cell phone bill down
-Slashed the car insurance down
-Bringing food to work

Now I'm watching my money stack up...
Thanks MMM!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1112 on: October 12, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »
I got an 8% raise!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #1113 on: October 13, 2015, 08:48:14 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm a brand-new Mustachian-in-training who found the MMM blog last month. Boy I was a real consumer sukka before. I was already starting to wise-up a bit and now I am on track to get my finances in order. I've had a few reasons to celebrate this year including:

1. Finally got my career in accounting started with my job as a staff accountant that I started this past May. It might have taken 3 years after I graduated but I finally did it!

2. Paid off two credit cards so far! Will be three once the balance transfer from my 25% interest goes through to the 0% interest card! Then it will be three to go!

3. Paid off my car this past February-9 months early! That loan was 20% interest ugh

4. Finally started saving for retirement with my 401k. I contribute 4% since my employer matches 100% up to 4% of my income. I also started a Roth IRA with Betterment.

5. Started a savings account-currently have $1000 in it!

So a lot to celebrate but a lot to work on as well. I have around 63K in student loans and after I get my tax refund this Spring I will be paying off a student loan, saving me $106 a month to put towards other loans, and will also pay off the remaining balance on my Note 4 so I can cut the $92.12 a month cord to Verizon and sign up with PlatinumTel for just $30/month. I'm also looking to have those last three CCs paid off by May 2016.

Then I can re-fi my SLs that are 6% and above and save some money!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1114 on: October 13, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm a brand-new Mustachian-in-training who found the MMM blog last month. Boy I was a real consumer sukka before. I was already starting to wise-up a bit and now I am on track to get my finances in order. I've had a few reasons to celebrate this year including:

1. Finally got my career in accounting started with my job as a staff accountant that I started this past May. It might have taken 3 years after I graduated but I finally did it!

2. Paid off two credit cards so far! Will be three once the balance transfer from my 25% interest goes through to the 0% interest card! Then it will be three to go!

3. Paid off my car this past February-9 months early! That loan was 20% interest ugh

4. Finally started saving for retirement with my 401k. I contribute 4% since my employer matches 100% up to 4% of my income. I also started a Roth IRA with Betterment.

5. Started a savings account-currently have $1000 in it!

So a lot to celebrate but a lot to work on as well. I have around 63K in student loans and after I get my tax refund this Spring I will be paying off a student loan, saving me $106 a month to put towards other loans, and will also pay off the remaining balance on my Note 4 so I can cut the $92.12 a month cord to Verizon and sign up with PlatinumTel for just $30/month. I'm also looking to have those last three CCs paid off by May 2016.

Then I can re-fi my SLs that are 6% and above and save some money!
Great work!  Keep it up, and when you feel like you are not progressing fast enough remember - the days are long but the years are short. There may be days when you feel like you are not yet where you want to be, but keep at it because over time you will get there. And in the end, it will happen faster than it seems at times.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: October 13, 2015, 09:45:23 AM »
Thanks g-dog. The years sure are shorter than I expected them to be. I can't believe I've been out of college for almost 3 1/2 years now!

Patience is one of my biggest problems. I want this debt gone now! But I know if I keep plugging at it, it will come down. I'm hoping next May I'll get a raise at my one-year review. Fingers crossed! But for now, I'm just gonna put as much as I can towards this debt.

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1116 on: October 20, 2015, 08:49:46 AM »
First month with a savings rate over 50%. Heard of MMM in May this year and I'm amazed how much we have changed our spending habits since then!

Szilveszter Hansen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1117 on: October 20, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »
First month with a savings rate over 50%. Heard of MMM in May this year and I'm amazed how much we have changed our spending habits since then!

This is quite the accomplishment considering the draconian tax rate of Sweden. I would consider MMM tactics almost impossible in a scandinavian society. But with the implication that you do not (or should not, rather) need any savings besides the occasional holiday, because you will be taken care of by the government. But alas, who knows how long that society will last at this point? Best save a nest egg for darker times to come.

In haste,
Szilveszter
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:08:36 AM by Szilveszter Hansen »

Jojje

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1118 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:58 AM »

This is quite the accomplishment considering the draconian tax rate of Sweden. I would consider MMM tactics almost impossible in a scandinavian society. But with the implication that you do not (or should not, rather) need any savings besides the occasional holiday, because you will be taken care of by the government. But alas, who knows how long that society will last at this point? Best save a nest egg for darker times to come.

In haste,
Szilveszter

Thanks, yes the tax rate at our income bracket is above 40% and if you take the total tax paid (me plus my employer) you end up at 55%. However daycare and health care is virtually free so there are benefits as well. Having small kids this is really good.
I do not trust the pension system to survive.

RapidLionInvasion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1119 on: October 20, 2015, 02:59:22 PM »
What better place for your first post than a celebration thread :D!

I want to celebrate how MMM has inspired me and lightened up my views of the future, which are completely accurate because I am an unexperienced 17 year old (lol).

While I have ambitions, it just occured to me after discovering this blog that the adults around me my whole life were quite the bummers. It may have unconsciously washed into my head that I too, if I was sane and normal and wasn't some hippie, must slave away for 45 years, perhaps unhappily, and possibly much longer until I am free to pursue my passions with a broken back and false teeth in some Golden Years (this term has always struck me as being ironic).

But what's this? People have actually managed to retire at 30? Its possible to attain freedom to do what you want to do while your body is still intact and you arent forced to keep the money flowing to eat and pay off debts?

Thank you, for helping me become an optimist!

And thank you, for a forum that is actually active!

Next year, I will be in college and the beginning of my financial responsibilities will begin, and I hope this forum can help and be with me through my uncertainties and inexperiences.

Hoorah for the forum!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1120 on: October 20, 2015, 03:12:58 PM »
You are so lucky to have come to the party at such a young age. Start saving now my friend. Compound interest will work some serious magic for you.

Bill76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1121 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »
Rental house is sold! All the non-mortgage debt is paid off except for the 0% loan on our van (which originated pre-MMM).  I have cash on hand to pay that off, but I want to put it to more productive use.

If my back of the envelope math is correct, we'll have a small loss on the rental come tax time because it was vacant for a few months, and the sale should net close to zero for tax purposes.  With that, my landlording experiment is over for now.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1122 on: October 26, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »
Just received my first pay for freelancing work! I live and otherwise work in Canada, but this pay is coming into my US account (I'm also a US tax-paying citizen). This means that for the year 2015, I can finally contribute to an IRA... and since I don't need this money, 100% will be going into my IRA. Canadian tax-advantaged accounts are already maxed out. Yay!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1123 on: October 26, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »
My credit card debt is under $2000! Goal is to have it gone by the end of 2015, then rolling that payment onto student loans.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1124 on: October 28, 2015, 05:23:50 PM »
Last year my husband was promoted to CIO of his company with a tiny raise involved, but he was promised "a substantial bonus." Well, today, the substantial bonus letter came and it is (wait for it!) $10,000.

Our house is paid for, we own our cars free and clear, we have no credit card or other debt...our paychecks more than cover all our bills, even with a substantial savings rate. We have to figure out what to do with this money, what a great challenge to have.

Not only am I happy about this infusion of cash, I'm delighted for my husband, he's feeling pretty good right now. I married a good one.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1125 on: October 28, 2015, 05:42:55 PM »
Achievement get:
Networth > $50k

:D

WOO HOO!!!!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1126 on: October 28, 2015, 05:52:37 PM »
My credit card debt is under $2000! Goal is to have it gone by the end of 2015, then rolling that payment onto student loans.

Fantastic!  Once that horrid credit card debt is gone, things go up quite quickly.  The worst thing ever was DH's Ben Bridges credit card that he purchased my engagement ring with - at 29% interest.  (I'd already said "yes" before I knew what he'd done.) I paid that sucker off the next month with a 401(k) loan which was PAINFUL combined with law school payments for him.  We literally ate rice and beans for a few months since of course the ring was un-returnable!  You are on the right track....

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1127 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:16 PM »
Last year my husband was promoted to CIO of his company with a tiny raise involved, but he was promised "a substantial bonus." Well, today, the substantial bonus letter came and it is (wait for it!) $10,000.

Our house is paid for, we own our cars free and clear, we have no credit card or other debt...our paychecks more than cover all our bills, even with a substantial savings rate. We have to figure out what to do with this money, what a great challenge to have.

Not only am I happy about this infusion of cash, I'm delighted for my husband, he's feeling pretty good right now. I married a good one.

Congrats, I would transfer it straight to my Vanguard investment account if I was you.

I ended up reaching my 2015 net worth goal today. It was a surprise. I track all my accounts on Excel and adjust to actual every so often. I adjusted to actual today and realized that I had achieved my goal. Hopefully the goal is still achieved at the end of the year. I have realized that net worth goals are stupid because the short term swings in the stock market have such a large impact on whether you reach your goal.

CU Tiger

• Bristles
« Reply #1128 on: October 30, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »

Congrats, I would transfer it straight to my Vanguard investment account if I was you.

I ended up reaching my 2015 net worth goal today. It was a surprise. I track all my accounts on Excel and adjust to actual every so often. I adjusted to actual today and realized that I had achieved my goal. Hopefully the goal is still achieved at the end of the year. I have realized that net worth goals are stupid because the short term swings in the stock market have such a large impact on whether you reach your goal.

Yeah, we wound up tossing it into the Vanguard account. We have reached the point where we have so much insane luxury that we do not want to spend any more money than what we usually spend. It is a rich, full life!

ajmers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1129 on: November 05, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
Started a new job at a new company in July at a 40% raise (+ 10% bonus), and I just got my first bonus! Had to shell out a few hundred this week for HVAC repair (next step - learn to DIY!) but still seriously upped my savings rate with this move, a combination of increased income and a slight reduction in spending (working on that too :)) Feels good!!

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1130 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:41 PM »
I turned down a free van that runs well and has been super useful to borrow for moving things (borrowed it for a month in the past).
Because of course it isn't free with registration and insurance. If I had a free place to park it until my living situation changed and I absolutely would have needed it, sure that would work. But when I am already trying to downsize from 2 to 1 vehicles....
It was either a dumb decision or a mustachian celebration.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #1131 on: November 08, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »
At the end of last month, I dutifully plugged a few numbers in my spreadsheets to keep track of where things were going in.  For the first time, my net worth grew more than my total work income.  In other words, my savings rate was over 100%; I was financially independent.

Obviously, October was an exceptionally generous month on the stock market and I don't expect next month to go as well, but passing this milestone, even if was just for a moment, feels extremely liberating.  Realistically, I expect to need another three to six months to achieve a stable level of financial independence, at which point I will probably indulge in a slightly more decadent celebration than posting to share my joy.  In the meantime, I will proudly keep a stupid grin on my face. 

Life is great!

tenns9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1132 on: November 08, 2015, 11:15:22 PM »
My wife and I just made our final payment on our home which is worth about $180k (took us 4.5yrs)! My wife was in tears and we both feel a huge burden lifted off our backs. I know this wasn't the best use of our money considering the low 3% interest rate, but we had to do this because of the burden we felt by owing someone money.

We now have an awesome problem of not knowing what to do with all our extra money. We were making $2,000-$3,000 payments/mo on our house for quite some time (it varies because of my commission). I will increase all my investments in my 401k, Roth, and IRA, but I'm more interested in possibly having a couple rental properties as well, I just don't know where to start with that.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1133 on: November 09, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »
Congrats!  I think having a paid off house is one of the best feelings there is, poo on the math, lol!

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1134 on: November 10, 2015, 07:42:22 AM »
On the long path to FI it feels great to hit a milestone, even if it is a small one.

Today our milestone was maxing out one of our TFSA accounts!

Earlier this year, we refinance our mortgage with a 3 year amortization, even though we could have paid it off in 1.  Easing up on the mortgage allowed us to put more towards out tax advantaged investment accounts.

Our plan is to, in about 2 years, achieve the ultimate trifecta of investment goals:
- Maximize both TFSA accounts
- Maximize RRSP accounts (which will come with some juicy immediate tax savings)
- Pay off the mortgage.

We are right on schedule!!!

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #1135 on: November 10, 2015, 08:06:40 AM »
A small victory as well: maxed out my ROTH for the first time ever, and am putting 15% (plus a 5% employer match) into my shiny new 401k!

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1136 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
Congratulations PARedbeard! 15% is amazing! I can only do 4 right now. I might change it to 6 next year if I get a raise.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1137 on: November 24, 2015, 11:02:14 PM »
Our plan is to, in about 2 years, achieve the ultimate trifecta of investment goals:
- Maximize both TFSA accounts
- Maximize RRSP accounts (which will come with some juicy immediate tax savings)
- Pay off the mortgage.

We are right on schedule!!!

Nice! I'm not there yet, but a level-up from those goals is to make the current year's full RRSP and TFSA contributions on January 1. Allowances can be made if you need to feed some portion in more slower to get the maximum match from an employer.

marblejane

• Bristles
« Reply #1138 on: December 01, 2015, 07:57:31 PM »
I just crossed six figures in my retirement accounts!

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1139 on: December 01, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »
Congrats, marblejane!  I'm not there yet, it must be a cool feeling!  Woot!!

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1140 on: December 03, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
Joined the $100k net worth club yesterday!

... For about an hour

I'm still counting it!

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1141 on: December 09, 2015, 07:59:01 PM »
Congrats Tenns9 on the mortgage payoff! I hope to be there soon... My partner and I have been looking at doing the same thing after realizing we got nowhere on lowering our debt over the last 10 years even though we paid extra each month.

Here's our personal "hurrah!": after the bank that holds our house note turned us down for a refi at a lower rate, we took some of our cash that we had offered the bank to sweeten the deal, and instead bought a HUD auction house free and clear, and are now preparing to sell our overpriced (oversized, over heated/cooled, etc.) house and live mortgage free! Just got the keys yesterday and I can smell the freedom.

...take that greedy bank! (and slightly stupid past self)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1142 on: December 10, 2015, 12:48:33 AM »
That's awesome, nice move StealthyStache!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

StacheInAFlash

• Stubble
« Reply #1143 on: December 10, 2015, 08:58:32 AM »
I just submitted my final student loan payment this morning! $52,000 paid off in 21 months! Technically, I was paying longer than that, but not even making a dent with minimum payments and several interest only payments for a handful of years. My starting balance on January 1st this year was over $36k so it has been a whirlwind.

January 1st this year starts with all that excess money going to the retirement accounts! I'm so excited to finally get to max those out next year!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1144 on: December 10, 2015, 12:29:27 PM »
Way to go SIAF!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #1145 on: December 10, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
I am cruising the latest in this thread which is a great pick me up lunchtime read. normally I just read and lurk, but today there are a couple of posts I need to cheer about.

First a huge congrats to @ajmers for a 40% increase in pay at a new job! That is awesome!

And next, congrats on you all for paying off your mortgages too! We plan to sell our primary residence this summer and get rental #5. We will have to live there until I pull the plug on my RE plans, next Jan (2017).

I'd always hoped to be mortgage free and instead I will have 5 mortgages with passive income enough to be FI, who've thunk it.

(other than our mortgages we are debt free)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1146 on: December 11, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
My holiday bonus is $4,000 and it's going straight to Vanguard :D

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1147 on: December 15, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
With the most recent payment on the CC, I'm officially done paying off past balances. It's current activity only now!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1148 on: December 15, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
With the most recent payment on the CC, I'm officially done paying off past balances. It's current activity only now!

stealthystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1149 on: December 15, 2015, 08:16:10 PM »
Nice going, Sibley!!!