Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648175 times)

Emerald

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
Dumped Verizon yesterday.  Will dump Direct TV tonight. 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2013, 01:14:14 AM »
Just crossed another 50k level on my net worth ladder! Yay!
And crossed under a 10k level on the mortgage ahead of projections! Yay!
Bank interest per month on my mortgage  is now less than one of my fortnightly repayments! Yay!
Doing my little mustachian victory dance :)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2013, 06:02:10 AM »
That sounds a lot like me....my monthly interest fell below a my fortnightly repayment a month ago. However I don't think it means anything, 'cept for the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you are making progress at hacking away at the beast.

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2013, 07:07:47 AM »
Hit 100k net worth according to Mint!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »
Congratulations JPO!
Yeah Marty I agree it doesn't "mean" anything....just another of my arbitrarily decided subgoals I created in order to get that warm fuzzy feeling.......I do like the fact that of my regular mortgage repayments I'm paying more down than the bank is sucking back off me.

chardog

• Stubble
Retired this week - 20 years of bike commuting.
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »
My last day at w*rk was Thursday - at a not extremely young, but still respectable ER age of 48. :)  Not bad for public sector service required to earn a pension (and additional mustachian investments)

I decided to bike commute over 20 years ago.  Over 50,000 miles and many other mustachian decisions later the MMM community helped me determine that it was time to ER.

The MMM community are kindred spirits I did not know of until recently.  The site and forum have helped confirm my past, current and future choices.  The future is indeed bright.  Lots of wonderful experiences planned for hiking, biking, kayaking, snowboarding, etc.  Plab to visit Arkansas, Oregon, Alaska and Wyoming this summer. 

If any fellow members of the MMM community find yourselves in Austin, I would be happy to join you for a bike ride (on or off road)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2013, 01:52:16 AM »
Tomorrow, April 1, 2013, will mark four years since I started working full time. In 2009, I didn't have a cent to my name. I didn't have a bank account. I didn't even know how to open a bank account!

Today, my expenses/net worth spreadsheet hit a magical number. A symbolic milestone that 2009 Me hardly dared consider possible. It just seemed so far away. It seemed like I would have to make some superhuman sacrifices to get to that number.

Fast forward to 2013 Me, with a savings rate of 60% and about 10 years away from FIRE. Still not completely free from self-doubt or fear.

But I've definitely got a lot more confidence in the future and in my ability to shape my life according to my desires.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
Tomorrow, April 1, 2013, will mark four years since I started working full time. In 2009, I didn't have a cent to my name. I didn't have a bank account. I didn't even know how to open a bank account!

Today, my expenses/net worth spreadsheet hit a magical number. A symbolic milestone that 2009 Me hardly dared consider possible. It just seemed so far away. It seemed like I would have to make some superhuman sacrifices to get to that number.

Fast forward to 2013 Me, with a savings rate of 60% and about 10 years away from FIRE. Still not completely free from self-doubt or fear.

But I've definitely got a lot more confidence in the future and in my ability to shape my life according to my desires.

So badass that you are figuring this out at an (I assume) young age.

chardog

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »

April No Fool day! :)

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2013, 10:09:40 AM »
Another celebration for me: we got the check in the mail from the husband's terrible life insurance policy. I asked him what he wanted to do with it, since it's his own money that he saved up. He said, "Can we put it in my Roth IRA?"

One fully-funded Roth IRA for 2013, coming right up!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2013, 08:39:38 PM »

April No Fool day! :)

Just turned 24. Thank you :)

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
Several decent celebrations recently.

1. Got a free toilet iphone from my mother in law; fixed it.

2. renewed our cell contract, sold iphone 5 for a handy $350 net, basically just reduces our contract cost.

3. Implemented a substantial savings plan that puts 42% of my income into savings investments automatically and ALL overtime gets booked to investments savings.  Last check was 57% saved.

4. testing a new budget with the wife.  This one is pretty shaky since March was the first month.  It appears to be slowing spending but it's not there yet.

5. committed to fully funding my Roth every year.  Wrote the check for 2012 just this last week.

6. Passed, so far, 3 out of the 4 sections for my CPA license.(should be studying instead of typing...)

WestCoastGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
I've been out of grad school and working for 5 months. I've been hooked on this site for 3 weeks. I get so energized by the people here.

1. I switched jobs from a 1hr commute each way to a >7km cycle, landed my dream job & I make ~15% more while working fewer hours

2. Reduced iphone bill from $65 to $30.

3. Emptied savings to pay off my student loan in full today (I still owe my parents some money, but with no interest)

4. Switched RRSP to low cost index funds via a discount broker

5. Started handcycling to work with a rental & now trying to diy modify my bike to make commuting permanent

6. New rule for social drinking/gatherings - one beer or one appy (not both & never dinner)

7. Finally using craiglist for selling, not buying.

Jenga

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2013, 07:51:19 AM »
I just paid off the last little bit of the Consolidation Loan I co-signed for my Brother-in-law, and I am officially, completely, totally debt-free for the first time since college!

Now I can concentrate on Saving!  :D

daymare

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
A few things:

1) Switched from my Verizon contract to a no-contract MVNO.  Prior bill was $100/month on a 2-year contract (which work paid for), current bill will be $30/month for WAY more minutes/texts than I need, and enough data to get by.  I'm really excited to have more freedom and the ability to go to an even lower/cheaper plan (ie, $12/month or pay-as-you-go) if I so desire.

2) Got in to grad school!  Going to a top program to do my PhD, and have really reasonable stipend of 31K.  The best part is I'm committed to continuing to max out my Roth, and I think I can totally do it!

3) Am taking a few months off before school starts to enjoy life, good weather, and write a book.

BlueBird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »
I love this thread!  It's so motivational!

Our victory this week was paying off a credit card (0% interest) that we had to use for an emergency.  I'm so excited about it that I've been doing a lot of dancing around the house and jazz hands....

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »
These are small, but I consider them celebrations:

1) Learned how to make home-made hand lotion with an avocado

2) Bought hair conditioner for 30 cents!

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2013, 09:34:39 AM »
I just sold a headboard on Craigslist in less than 24 hours. I bought it 3 years ago on a wicked sale for $150. I just sold it for $150.

artistache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2013, 05:05:00 AM »
Found the exact pair of shoes I needed (suitable for work, cool enough for social events, well-made) on clearance for $20!

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
Just got the lowest electric bill I've ever had and have lived in this house for 6 years. Rates have gone up over the last year too.

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2013, 04:41:52 PM »
I just sold a headboard on Craigslist in less than 24 hours. I bought it 3 years ago on a wicked sale for $150. I just sold it for $150.

Zero cost of ownership for 3 years - that is great!

olivia

• Pencil Stache
  • From Consumerism to Minimalism
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
Just cancelled my cable ($130/month, RIDICULOUS) with little argument from my husband (who LOVES TV) and I just cancelled my CrossFit membership ($175/month) since I will now be biking 5 miles round trip to work.  So we'll have $305 a month less in expenses.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
We just closed on a house purchase yesterday that we've had in escrow since December 2011.   It was a long wait, but worth it.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2013, 10:08:17 AM »
Sounds like the short sale from hell.  But you got it at the 2011 price, so it was worth the wait!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2013, 10:23:25 AM »
Sounds like the short sale from hell.  But you got it at the 2011 price, so it was worth the wait!

Yeah, it was an ordeal.  We didn't get it at the original price, unfortunately, because the bank does their own appraisals (BPOs) and counters, but we did end up with a really good deal regardless that I'm quite happy with.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2013, 05:45:55 PM »
Called to complain about a "change of service" fee on my first internet bill for the new house (it was put there because when I called to check on when our install might be, the rep told me about a better deal and switched us ... before the service was installed. That's not a change, and I told them so.

The rep today waived that fee ($5, but still) and told me we still weren't getting the best deal, which is $44.99 instead of $59.99 for "best effort" DSL. It's still a ripoff, but it's the only high-speed internet available to us (one benefit of living in the boondocks; you're grateful when you can get something other than dial-up). She waived the new change of service fee, too.

So I saved $15 a month or $180 a year today. Furthermore, my husband's comment was, "Good, send an extra $15 a month to the mortgage." I won when I married him, too.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2013, 05:12:56 AM »
How about an "I avoided stupidity" post?  I'm a car guy; that is probably the one glaring hole in my past expenditures before starting to come round to MMM ways.  For the past month, I have been tempted to buy another project car that's been advertised on Craigslist.  I even called up and talked to the guy about it. 

Last night I sat myself down and gave myself a couple of face punches: I'm not debt free.  I have cash set aside but it's reserved for the house renovations I'm doing.  I have running, driving vehicles for every member of my family.  I have two other project cars, bought before my MMM awakening, that have to be completed.  We're moving in a few months and I have to find room for the previously noted non-mobile project cars..why on earth would I add another?

It all sounds so absolutely stupid to have even considered the purchase when I write these things down.  Rationalization is a powerful thing though, and I can spout a range of justifications that were running through my mind.  Enough.  I hope that I've exercised my frugality muscle and gotten it a bit stronger.

Mazzinator

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »
This month I..

Made my own laudry detergent.
Cut the going out to eat budget..again..(i know, this shouldn't even exist..but dh is slowly coming around..)
Didn't buy any meat..trying fish instead..
Upped the debt repayment to 23% gross
Changed withholding allowances.
Learned more about the IBR plan for possibly changing SL to this plan.
Moved $10k of SL to 0% CC with 0 fees. Maybe moving $10k more???

I need all the celebrating i can get at this point ;-)

misstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2013, 11:01:15 PM »
Today I thought about going to the Friday Market, but then decided not to because I knew if I went I would just buy sugary snacks.

So I went home and made some real lunch instead!

Yay!

SMMcP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2013, 04:16:47 PM »
I bought an indoor digital antenna for my TV so I can cancel cable.  It works great!  Getting lots of channels.  I'm going to the Comcast store to turn in my cable box today.

Dancin Mustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2013, 08:56:24 PM »
This month we have:
Used our tax return to get a deep freeze and buy a quarter cow from a local grass-fed rancher co-op.
Also put some toward a CSA for our veggies.
Working on dropping our weekly grocery trips down to an eventual (hopeful) total of $25 a week. This will put us under the $300 a month mark for all of our food for 3 people.
We're also working on switching our phones. I'm estimating a change from $190 a month to less than $50 a month. It's tricky, because we don't have 4g here, so we can't do freedompop. (and all VoIP)

Ms. Doodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Doodles and Cents
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2013, 12:30:49 AM »
We recently accomplished one of our 2013 goals:  We hit our initial 50K retirement fund! 

frugalman

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
I love the small accomplishments as much as or more than the big ones. Keep them coming! You are all very inspirational to me.  I am 63 years old and even though it is far too late for me to retire early, this blog has made me far more conscious and deliberate about my spending choices.  We have a better plan as a result, which we are executing with MMM fervor. By continuing after retirement with conscious and conservative spending choices, we'll have plenty of money to travel and see our country and the world, which is our dream and goal.

P.S. our iPhones are now on Air voice, service is excellent and we have gotten used to not using cellular data. Total cost is $20 a month, thanks MMM and I. P. Daley.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:02:59 AM by frugalman »

chatsc

• Stubble
Perfect morning
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
I just had the perfect morning.  Had coffee and breakfast at home.  Brought my 3 kids to a national museum (for free because it is earth day).  Found the best free 3h parking spot ever.  Ate a bagged lunch in the cafeteria.  My middle kid stole a quarter from a teenager and refused to give it back. 

a lovely free morning.  well, actually we are up 25 cents.

jexy103

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
I'm new here and just found this thread. I love it!

DH and I both opened and maxed out our Roth IRAs for 2012 last week!

Last night I received the PIN for my new 401(k) at work and went in to change the default allocations (which was 100% bonds). 

And I also received our first "Mock Bill" last night for our new housing complex. They pay the electricity, but if you use too much, they charge you for the 'excessive' portion, and if you don't use a lot (compared to everyone else), they'll credit you a portion of the savings. Last night's Mock Bill showed that we would have received a $50.86 credit! Our 3-month grace period will be up at the end of April, so we should receive a credit in June for May's low electricity usage. At $50/mo, that's $600 a year back in our pockets!

Coolbreeze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New guy
« Reply #135 on: April 23, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »
Howdy folks, new here..so figured I would just let y'all know where I am at from the start lol.   Lets see, all cars paid for, primary house paid for, rental property paid for, currently acquiring second rent house, 3 college educations currently being saved for (1 done , 2 at 34 % funded)
Stash primarily 401 around 350k..just chillin.  Considering bailing out pretty soon in favor of part time work.  Works lots of overtime.lol

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: April 23, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
My bike and I finally (pant pant) made it up the giant hill (huff puff) to my house. It wasn't pretty, but we made it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2013, 06:06:57 AM »
a very small celebration for me...I swapped my usual garlic bread purchase for bananas at the supermarket today.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
My bike and I finally (pant pant) made it up the giant hill (huff puff) to my house. It wasn't pretty, but we made it.

Awesome! I remember that feeling when I first started commuting.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »

Fantastic! You must feel on top of the world (maybe in more ways than one!).

dfields

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:54 PM »
I hit 100k net worth today (beat it by $40).

Also this last weekend I rode a bike for the first time in 5 years. Did some errands, still working up to commuting with it.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: April 25, 2013, 04:57:26 AM »
Congrats, dfield!

And thanks for the encouragement, yolfer and FiveSigmas. I am feeling pretty proud and a little sore :)

frugalman

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: April 25, 2013, 06:43:21 AM »
I ran 5k on the treadmill this morning in 30 minutes flat (6.2 mph, 3.1 miles).  Then, I walked another mile in the remaining 15 minutes (4.0 mph, 4.0 incline).  Not bad for a 63 year old office worker who weighed 275 pounds 3 years ago (I'm down to 205 now).  I'm on the treadmill for 45 minutes M-F or 5 days a week.  This habit started when I read the book Younger Next Year, which suggests we all do 4 days a week of brisk cardio for 45 minutes and 2 days a week of strength training for 45 minutes.  One day a week off.  I do feel younger!

FriendlyLibrarian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: Indiana (No, I don't like basketball or the movie Hoosiers)
« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »
Yay for being able to brag about this somewhere, sadly family and friends would not understand the significance or would think we're rubbing their noses in it.
According to mint.com, my husband and I now have positive net worth. Yay! We do still have debt that we're tackling; student loans are evil, evil I say! BUT, we have enough assets to cover our debt, if in some horrible situation we need to liquidate everything.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »
Hit $1,000,000 in net worth.  While its an imaginary line in the sand, its still a psychological milestone! 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2013, 02:43:36 AM »
Congratulations Big Chris, that is very exciting.  Our society does seem to value that 1 million demarkation line, so celebrate! You've achieved so much for someone in their 30s.

dbm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2013, 06:40:08 AM »
Congratulations Frugalman.

The first 5k is the hardest.  Once you get past that it's onto 10k's and a half marathon!

Keep up the good work!

frugalman

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »
No 10k or half marathon for me (unless maybe I lose another 20 pounds).  But I did 4.1 miles again this morning in 45 minutes, 3.1 running 6.2 mph in the first 30 minutes, 1.0 miles walking it home at 4.0 mph in 15 more minutes. The exciting thing is, it's getting a little easier every week!  I think I'll push it up until I can run the whole 45 minutes at 6.2 mph.  That might take a year.  After that, maybe add 0.1 mph every month until I either look like MMM or drop dead trying..

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:26 PM »
Cancelled home phone, DirectTV and reduced monthly internet charge. Savings = approximately $120/month. Next up: cell phone coverage.

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
I just logged into my Vanguard account. I have my RRSPs and i-bonds entered as "Outside investments". Vanguard has my 401(k), my Roth IRA, an empty Traditional IRA (for backdoor Roth IRA contributions), and a taxable stock investment account. I've been contributing to retirement accounts for almost six years now and only in the last couple of years did I really ramp it up.

The total assets they are displaying is now over $100,000!!! :D

Somehow, this is more exciting than hitting $200,000 in net worth a few months ago because this is all in monetary assets.

Woo!!