Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648255 times)

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
No More Mortgage
« Reply #2100 on: August 25, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »
I found MMM in 2014 at which time I convinced Mrs. FrogStash to follow me on a path to FIRE.  Last week we took a huge step along that path by putting the money from our side hustle into PAYING OFF OUR MORTGAGE!

I know the numbers and finance behind the mortgage vs investment debate and can confidently say that we made the right decision based on our emotional and psychological well-being.  The weight lifted from our lives by knowing that the house is paid for is worth more than the opportunity cost of the invested dollars to us both. 

In a month or two I suspect I'll be back to share "two-comma" related news!

Cheers!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No More Mortgage
« Reply #2101 on: August 25, 2020, 05:28:43 PM »
I found MMM in 2014 at which time I convinced Mrs. FrogStash to follow me on a path to FIRE.  Last week we took a huge step along that path by putting the money from our side hustle into PAYING OFF OUR MORTGAGE!

I know the numbers and finance behind the mortgage vs investment debate and can confidently say that we made the right decision based on our emotional and psychological well-being.  The weight lifted from our lives by knowing that the house is paid for is worth more than the opportunity cost of the invested dollars to us both. 

Cheers!

Oh that’s too sweet. Congratulations on helping make another banker cry.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #2102 on: August 26, 2020, 02:47:26 PM »
Bought a new home last January.   Sold our old home last Friday, new home mortgage is now only 26% of what it started out at.

And we'll be at 22% in a few weeks when the escrow account gets refunded. :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: No More Mortgage
« Reply #2103 on: August 27, 2020, 02:53:25 AM »

Cheers!

Fantastic!  Congratulations @FrogStash!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2104 on: August 27, 2020, 02:54:37 AM »
Bought a new home last January.   Sold our old home last Friday, new home mortgage is now only 26% of what it started out at.

Nicely done @SwordGuy!

christogram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2105 on: August 27, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »
The dryer stopped tumbling last night and I feared having to spend the money to replace it. (I know, I know, I should be upgrading to drying racks.) It seems low-end appliances are out of stock around here and the idea of spending $800 on a dryer that does the same thing as a $500 dryer seemed wrong.

Took apart the dryer and found out a $8 belt had snapped. 30 minutes later and we have working dryer again!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2106 on: August 27, 2020, 02:53:15 PM »
The dryer stopped tumbling last night and I feared having to spend the money to replace it. (I know, I know, I should be upgrading to drying racks.) It seems low-end appliances are out of stock around here and the idea of spending $800 on a dryer that does the same thing as a $500 dryer seemed wrong.

Took apart the dryer and found out a $8 belt had snapped. 30 minutes later and we have working dryer again!

Well done.

I had a similar experience with a window fan and a fuse the other day. Even though the store would have allowed me to return it still, it feels good knowing all that plastic didn't end up in the dump because of a few cent fuse!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2107 on: August 27, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »

Very sweet.  Congratulations! 

Die_Wealthy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2108 on: August 28, 2020, 08:15:43 AM »
Just made a new account because I need somewhere to share this

3 years ago I was 27k in debt, living in a halfway house, eating canned tuna and white rice for dinner because I literally couldn't afford anything else. 1 year after that I had my own place, met the girl of my dreams, and was making some headway on the debt but mostly felt utterly hopeless about my financial situation. Then I stumbled onto MMM and and it changed EVERYTHING. His blog gave me the knowledge and hope to turn my finances around. I started biking to work, bringing lunch, and treated personal finance like a fun new hobby/obsession.

As of today I am officially DEBT FREE
I am so thankful to have stumbled onto MMM and discovered the FIRE community. I've dreamt about this day for so long!

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2109 on: August 28, 2020, 08:35:41 AM »
That is HUGE!  Well done, @Die_Wealthy .

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #2110 on: August 28, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »

3 years ago I was 27k in debt, living in a halfway house, eating canned tuna and white rice for dinner because I literally couldn't afford anything else. 1 year after that I had my own place, met the girl of my dreams, and was making some headway on the debt but mostly felt utterly hopeless about my financial situation. Then I stumbled onto MMM and and it changed EVERYTHING. His blog gave me the knowledge and hope to turn my finances around. I started biking to work, bringing lunch, and treated personal finance like a fun new hobby/obsession.

I am so thankful to have stumbled onto MMM and discovered the FIRE community. I've dreamt about this day for so long!
Heck yeah! Great milestone. Next stop emergency fund and a growing stache!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2111 on: August 28, 2020, 10:37:09 AM »

RIGHT ON!!!  Keep up the good work!

Die_Wealthy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2112 on: August 28, 2020, 12:28:16 PM »
Thank you! I'm excited for what the future has in store!

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2113 on: August 28, 2020, 04:35:27 PM »

Well done.

I had a similar experience with a window fan and a fuse the other day. Even though the store would have allowed me to return it still, it feels good knowing all that plastic didn't end up in the dump because of a few cent fuse!

Today I did the same thing with a vitamix I picked up on craigs list years ago. Replaced the potentiometer it uses for speed control. Less than $30 and 5-10 minutes work for good as new. I can't believe I put up with the jerky speed control so long...

FrogStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Get there...FASTER!
« Reply #2114 on: August 31, 2020, 01:52:21 PM »

Good for you.  I've done that repair as well.  It sucks when an appliance breaks, but now you have the confidence to know you can handle it.  Cheers!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2115 on: September 09, 2020, 06:17:10 PM »
Continuing with appliances. I fixed my lawnmower!

It's electric and it stopped turning on. I read online that it was probably the bridge rectifier so ordered a new one. Received it and opened up my lawnmower. I realized that the wire was disconnected from the terminal connector. I couldn't find the right wire connector at home depot or online so I went to a lawnmower repair shop. The mechanic there was so impressed he gave the the right part for free!!

Took off the insulation of the wire, fed it through the new connector and crimped it. Worked like a charm. Go baby go! Next I'm ripping out half of the grass in my yard and replacing it with ground cover because I hate mowing. Lol.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2116 on: September 09, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »
Ooh, @mozar!  What kind of ground cover?

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2117 on: September 10, 2020, 06:24:36 AM »
@mozar - that is so BA. You had me wide-eyed at "bridge rectifier".

I'm crap at fixing anything that involves wires. Probably something I need to work on.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2118 on: September 10, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »
What kind of ground cover?
Creeping thyme and creeping phlox. Zone 7!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2119 on: September 10, 2020, 03:21:15 PM »
What kind of ground cover?
Creeping thyme and creeping phlox. Zone 7!

I had pretty good luck with my creeping thyme seeds this year. I started them in paper pots and then once they germinated for a bit I planted them spaced apart. They are my garden bed edging, so I added about 25’ worth for $5 of seeds vs $6 per pot at the store. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2120 on: October 12, 2020, 03:55:23 PM »
My wife and I are quarter-millionaires today!

Wow, 2020 must be awful if nobody on the forum has had anything worth celebrating for 33 days...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2121 on: October 12, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »
We sold our old home and have paid off the mortgage on our new one, plus sold excess properties we bought to help others out.  We're now debt free.  (And yes, paying off the mortgage was the right choice for where we are financially.)

Our annual expenses just dropped about $55K, which means our SWR is around negative 1%.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2122 on: October 13, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
We sold our old home and have paid off the mortgage on our new one, plus sold excess properties we bought to help others out.  We're now debt free.  (And yes, paying off the mortgage was the right choice for where we are financially.)

Our annual expenses just dropped about $55K, which means our SWR is around negative 1%.

What?  How is that possible?  A negative WR means you have to put money *into* your account every year in order to meet expenses, no?
Or are you just counting this year with the sale of your excess properties?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2123 on: October 13, 2020, 07:16:48 PM »

What?  How is that possible?  A negative WR means you have to put money *into* your account every year in order to meet expenses, no?

You could have a negative withdrawal rate with pensions, SS and similar income...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2124 on: October 13, 2020, 07:37:12 PM »

You could have a negative withdrawal rate with pensions, SS and similar income...

We have a budget surplus from our non-stock passive income sources that will be about 1% of our current stock/bond portfolio.  So, we can invest that budget surplus.

Is that cool or what?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2125 on: October 13, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »

We have a budget surplus from our non-stock passive income sources that will be about 1% of our current stock/bond portfolio.  So, we can invest that budget surplus.

Is that cool or what?

That is pretty awesome.  I was just.... confused.  Dividing by a negative number and all...

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2126 on: October 15, 2020, 10:54:32 AM »
My wife and I are quarter-millionaires today!

Wow, 2020 must be awful if nobody on the forum has had anything worth celebrating for 33 days...

Nice, the other three quarters will probably go quickly.

2020 has been a bit of an annus horribilis.  Hopefully 2021 will go better. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2127 on: October 15, 2020, 11:24:47 AM »
Yeah, my year included a $10k+ mistake and a $4k mistake made during the headache from the first one, on top of all the general pandemic suck...

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2128 on: October 15, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
Yeah, my year included a $10k+ mistake and a $4k mistake made during the headache from the first one, on top of all the general pandemic suck...

My year has included lots of forced home repairs after years of my old house being low maintenance.  I'm hoping 2021 will be boring. 

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2129 on: October 18, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
We just hit 2 commas for the first time! (And that with too much cash on hand and still being way too spendy and with me going part time a few years ago to spend more time with our kids.)

I feel a bit stunned. It doesn’t actually change anything, but it does feel different to me. I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2130 on: October 19, 2020, 03:49:22 AM »
We just hit 2 commas for the first time! (And that with too much cash on hand and still being way too spendy and with me going part time a few years ago to spend more time with our kids.)

I feel a bit stunned. It doesn’t actually change anything, but it does feel different to me. I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time.

Congratulations @Misstachian!  That's a great milestone.  :)

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2131 on: October 19, 2020, 07:55:17 PM »

Congratulations, Misstachian!!!!
I know what you mean about feeling stunned. I felt the same way earlier this year when we first saw our two commas. Then one went away, and now back again (I think) to stay.

Mjolnir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2132 on: October 25, 2020, 02:21:21 AM »
Hi,

Celebrating 1 small  and 1 huge achievement this year:

Small achievement:
Recently reached  EUR 100.000 invested assets (not counting pension plans)
This is about 5 x yearly expenses for me, so i'm quite happy that I reached this point before my 32nd birthday. On my current path, I would reach FIRE between age 45-50, which is a decent age to start chilling a bit more.

Huge achievement:
Together with my wife, we have created a human being, who is currently sleeping on me.
Words fail to express how badass this little guy is...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2133 on: October 25, 2020, 09:33:33 PM »
This isn't the usual sort of celebration for this thread, unlike us paying off our mortgage and dropping our annual spend around $53K, which I reported earlier this month.

Back in Marchpril, that vague time from 1-March to 30-April, we made 25% of our rental units available for free to medical personnel so they would have a place to stay where they wouldn't infect their families with Covid.

(Ok, 25% sounds mighty impressive, it's one out of our four rental homes. :) )

I stopped by to check on our two guests this afternoon.     Both of them had contracted Covid and had recovered.

I'm glad they recovered and I'm really glad they didn't infect the rest of their families too.   The latter is our contribution to public health.    Those spouses and kids and their friends and other loved ones didn't get infected.   Maybe one of them would have gone on to be a super-spreader or some of them could have died.

Sometimes it's the little decisions that matter.

And I'm celebrating that we made the right one.

I've got one more item to celebrate.    In my blog on this forum, at a reader's request, I made a list of various directed charity things I had done to help people I knew needed help.   Sometimes it cost me money, sometimes it saved me money.   I did it to give people an idea of things they could do to help other people out, that might make a good impact on their lives, which often don't have to cost you anything.   A blog reader posted something that they had done to help out a friend that they otherwise wouldn't have thought of doing.     Made my day.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #2134 on: October 26, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
Back in Marchpril, that vague time from 1-March to 30-April, we made 25% of our rental units available for free to medical personnel so they would have a place to stay where they wouldn't infect their families with Covid.

This is awesome. Well done & thank you! Definitely worth celebrating.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2135 on: October 28, 2020, 08:16:38 AM »
Celebrating today!  Both my kids' college funds are DONE!  So, we're going to back down contributions to an amount that will just smooth any market bumps.  I'm going to love saving that extra $500/ month!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2136 on: October 28, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »
Celebrating today!  Both my kids' college funds are DONE!  So, we're going to back down contributions to an amount that will just smooth any market bumps.  I'm going to love saving that extra $500/ month!

Congratulations!
How did you determine when each kid's college fund was DONE?  Asking because we are debating how much to put into our own, young daughter's college fund, and I'm always interested in hearing what others determined and how.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2137 on: October 29, 2020, 12:45:17 AM »
Hi,

Celebrating 1 small  and 1 huge achievement this year:

Small achievement:
Recently reached  EUR 100.000 invested assets (not counting pension plans)
This is about 5 x yearly expenses for me, so i'm quite happy that I reached this point before my 32nd birthday. On my current path, I would reach FIRE between age 45-50, which is a decent age to start chilling a bit more.

Huge achievement:
Together with my wife, we have created a human being, who is currently sleeping on me.
Words fail to express how badass this little guy is...

Congratulations @Mjolnir!  :)

catlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2138 on: November 10, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »
I got 20% salary bump!!! Payed for it with my goodnight sleep and I feel burned out but oh well... 🙈

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2139 on: November 12, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »
I got 20% salary bump!!! Payed for it with my goodnight sleep and I feel burned out but oh well... 🙈

It's great you got a bump!  Is there anything you could do about the burnout, though?

catlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2140 on: November 13, 2020, 03:30:41 PM »

It's great you got a bump!  Is there anything you could do about the burnout, though?

Thanks! Nothing much to do. I need to put some boundaries and start enforcing them.

beach2133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2141 on: November 16, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »
Hit 2 commas of investable assets over the weekend! 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2142 on: November 17, 2020, 07:32:55 AM »

Congrats!  How does it feel?

beach2133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2143 on: November 18, 2020, 08:26:09 AM »

A little anti-climactic.  One of those things I've been thinking about and tracking to for a long time and now that it's happened I think I need to shift my focus to a new goal.  The chase is more fulfilling.  Psychologically, i get way more satisfaction in paying off debt than hitting these milestones.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2144 on: November 19, 2020, 11:04:15 AM »

A little anti-climactic.  One of those things I've been thinking about and tracking to for a long time and now that it's happened I think I need to shift my focus to a new goal.  The chase is more fulfilling.  Psychologically, i get way more satisfaction in paying off debt than hitting these milestones.

Yeah, it was for us, too.  It kind of feels like driving across Kansas and hitting the Colorado state line. It's exciting because you're getting somewhere, but the Rockies are still a few hours out.  Then the ocean is going to take a while longer. 

beach2133

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2145 on: November 19, 2020, 03:47:15 PM »

Yeah, it was for us, too.  It kind of feels like driving across Kansas and hitting the Colorado state line. It's exciting because you're getting somewhere, but the Rockies are still a few hours out.  Then the ocean is going to take a while longer. 

Very apt analogy.  Thanks for commenting!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2146 on: November 20, 2020, 08:35:39 AM »

Interesting. When we hit the one come club some time ago it felt the same. Actually, it came with a market run up so it didn’t even feel legitimate in some ways. Of course it’s only increased since but we only feel “rich” when we reflect on our debt-laden peers. Mostly we still feel comfortable financially but certainly not affluent

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2147 on: November 20, 2020, 09:07:50 AM »

Interesting. When we hit the one come club some time ago it felt the same. Actually, it came with a market run up so it didn’t even feel legitimate in some ways. Of course it’s only increased since but we only feel “rich” when we reflect on our debt-laden peers. Mostly we still feel comfortable financially but certainly not affluent

Due to last year's run up, coupled with only taking a snap shot every six months, we blew right past the two commas to our additional buffer to consider ourselves FI. We did get silly grins for a bit, but meh. And we signed a new lease a few months later, rather than quitting.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2148 on: November 20, 2020, 10:23:42 AM »
Due to last year's run up, coupled with only taking a snap shot every six months, we blew right past the two commas to our additional buffer to consider ourselves FI. We did get silly grins for a bit, but meh. And we signed a new lease a few months later, rather than quitting.

Signed a new lease?  For a business?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2149 on: November 20, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »

Signed a new lease?  For a business?

No, but it is a two year lease on a condo within a mile of DH's office. Not that he has seen the inside of his office since we signed that lease... He just wasn't ready to walk away and it turns out with the pandemic that was the right decision.