Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648414 times)

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #2050 on: June 04, 2020, 10:56:18 AM »
This week my spouse and I finally paid our way out of STUDENT LOAN HELL!!! Zeroes across the board. Six figures of debt gone. Biggest sigh of relief ever (at least until we FIRE). Feels like the wrong time to share this with friends and family, but I think I'm safe on the MMM forum.
I felt your sigh of relief all the way from here, great job!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2051 on: June 04, 2020, 11:29:54 AM »
This week my spouse and I finally paid our way out of STUDENT LOAN HELL!!! Zeroes across the board. Six figures of debt gone. Biggest sigh of relief ever (at least until we FIRE). Feels like the wrong time to share this with friends and family, but I think I'm safe on the MMM forum.

That is exciting.  How long did it take?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2052 on: June 04, 2020, 05:05:38 PM »
Three days ago, after a year of indecisiveness, I made my first -- if modest by mustachian standards (25K) -- investment.

Being in my late 30s, I have regrets over the years and opportunities lost. (e.g. had I stayed with the job I quit to go back to school, I could be retired now) So please share any piece of wisdom and hope you got.

Also, this is my first post in the forum! Hello, MMM-world!

Hello and welcome @late_savings_bloomer !  Congrats on taking the plunge. That investment is not small by a long shot.  Is the plan to contribute smaller amounts regularly from now on?

Check out the Race From 10 to 100k thread -- lots of good people showing support for one another as they build the stashes: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/race-from-10-to-100k!!/2950/   

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
« Reply #2053 on: June 06, 2020, 12:10:38 AM »

About 13 years if you include 5 years of grad school deferment. Yikes.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2054 on: June 08, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »

That 13 years worth of excitement built up. 

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #2055 on: June 10, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
Three days ago, after a year of indecisiveness, I made my first -- if modest by mustachian standards (25K) -- investment.

Being in my late 30s, I have regrets over the years and opportunities lost. (e.g. had I stayed with the job I quit to go back to school, I could be retired now) So please share any piece of wisdom and hope you got.

That is awesome! Every investment is great and $25K is nothing to sneeze at :)

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #2056 on: June 10, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »

I was logging in to celebrate my student loan payoff as well! I'd been working on mine for slightly longer. Even though the interest rate was super low, it feels great to have that done.  Congrats to you too @Mrs Brightside !

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2057 on: June 10, 2020, 09:52:05 AM »

Congratulations.  We had a similar journey, though the amounts were not quite as high (~$65k and 12 years, with much of that in subsidized deferral).

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2058 on: June 13, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »
Listed our house on Zillow (fsbo) on Thursday and got a full price offer on Friday from the first visitors and decided to accept.

Could not be more stoked, highly recommend selling your home without a realtor. There is very little to it.

late_savings_bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2059 on: June 14, 2020, 11:23:29 AM »

Hello and welcome @late_savings_bloomer !  Congrats on taking the plunge. That investment is not small by a long shot.  Is the plan to contribute smaller amounts regularly from now on?

Check out the Race From 10 to 100k thread -- lots of good people showing support for one another as they build the stashes: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/race-from-10-to-100k!!/2950/   

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and encouragement @Pennycounter and @Trifele!  Yes, I will invest everything I save. That lumpsum of 25K is my savings over 6 years of grad study (really 15K of savings plus my 10K of previous savings). They were just sitting in my checking account because I'm totally financially illiterate. Stumbling on MMM was the push I needed to work on my long overdue initiation into the topic.
I have a temporary 2-year job position, so I cannot plan in the long-term. All I know is that the more I save now, the better - either it will help me survive during the next search, or it will grow the stash if I land another job right away! Either way, the unstable job situation has made me a saver over the years, so I feel I can graduate a mustachian before I'm 100 years old despite the late start.

StachingforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2060 on: June 16, 2020, 09:12:04 AM »
I finally braved joining this community :) thought I'd have my first post be a celebratory one!

My husband and I started on the path to FI at the beginning of this year and so far have invested 57k. I made a list of investment milestones to shoot for so I can check them off as we go. We've so far checked off 12 boxes meaning we just "completed" our first year of investing towards FI 6 months ahead of schedule! As I type this I am stroking our small but growing stache!

late_savings_bloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2061 on: June 16, 2020, 09:48:48 AM »
Tenure.

And because I've been here forever...

Promoted to full professor.

CONGRATS!!!! A baby post-doc here, looking up the steep hill of doom called Academia. I would appreciate any advice you have (academic and financial)!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2062 on: June 16, 2020, 01:48:12 PM »
I finally braved joining this community :) thought I'd have my first post be a celebratory one!

My husband and I started on the path to FI at the beginning of this year and so far have invested 57k. I made a list of investment milestones to shoot for so I can check them off as we go. We've so far checked off 12 boxes meaning we just "completed" our first year of investing towards FI 6 months ahead of schedule! As I type this I am stroking our small but growing stache!

Welcome @StachingforLife !  Wow that is an impressive start to the year.  Go you!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2063 on: June 16, 2020, 02:19:51 PM »
Tenure.

CONGRATS!!!! A baby post-doc here, looking up the steep hill of doom called Academia. I would appreciate any advice you have (academic and financial)!

Welcome @late_savings_bloomer!  Fellow academic here. Started my postdoc in 1994 and now I'm an academic research scientist. There are a bunch of academics on these boards. 

I'm celebrating that one of my former undergrad students just bought her first house this week! I mentored her both in science and home buying!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2064 on: June 18, 2020, 07:27:05 AM »
I refinanced my mortgage, signed the papers yesterday. My hand fell off of course, but that's the norm.

2.75%, 0 points, 15 yr. I'm cutting off about 10 years from the term, and saving about $30k in interest. New payment is about $50 more than what I had been paying (I paid extra), so no worries about the budget.

Whooo!!!!!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #2065 on: June 18, 2020, 08:27:04 AM »
Dang, nice, Sibley!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2066 on: June 18, 2020, 09:18:37 AM »
There are some crazy rates out there. Just sold our house and our buyers got 2.875% on a 30 year. maybe they paid to have a lower rate, but still.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2067 on: June 18, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
Agreed, its nuts. I very much doubt that I'll have cause to refi in the future to drop the rate.

If you're in the Chicago area and want to talk to a decent broker, pm me. I've used this guy twice now (original purchase and refi), and have no concerns about ethics, etc. He deliberately held back for about 2.5 months because he thought the rates were too high. That delay dropped it from probably around 3.5 down to the 2.75 I got.

StachingforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2068 on: June 18, 2020, 01:26:29 PM »

Welcome @StachingforLife !  Wow that is an impressive start to the year.  Go you!

Thank you! Happy to be here :D

StachingforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2069 on: June 18, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
I refinanced my mortgage, signed the papers yesterday. My hand fell off of course, but that's the norm.

2.75%, 0 points, 15 yr. I'm cutting off about 10 years from the term, and saving about $30k in interest. New payment is about $50 more than what I had been paying (I paid extra), so no worries about the budget.

Whooo!!!!!

That is fantastic!!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2070 on: June 19, 2020, 10:07:52 AM »

It snowballs on itself.  You will be surprised how fast that 57k will go to $570k. 

StachingforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2071 on: June 21, 2020, 10:33:24 AM »

It snowballs on itself.  You will be surprised how fast that 57k will go to $570k.

I can't wait :D we're hoping to hit the 100k mark by the end of the year! I frequently play with a calculator and calculate how much money is generated from our investments that we'll have "forever" :) it's so satisfying! I wish I had started investing when I first started working. Investing is so much more fun than spending!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2072 on: June 21, 2020, 10:49:13 AM »

I can't wait :D we're hoping to hit the 100k mark by the end of the year! I frequently play with a calculator and calculate how much money is generated from our investments that we'll have "forever" :) it's so satisfying! I wish I had started investing when I first started working. Investing is so much more fun than spending!

Yes! 

I wish I had started investing when I first started working, too, but hindsight is 20/20.  Plus there are just so many more resources to help you learn these days.  I guess I'm a little jealous on some level of folks a decade or two younger than me because of that.  I can't complain, though.  I never thought I'd be retiring in my 40s. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2073 on: June 22, 2020, 06:19:28 AM »
Tenure.

Welcome! Frankly, tenure if the hard step; Full  is maybe half as stressful. Landing the TT in the first place is in large part pure luck, so while you have to do the work, there's no real point stressing about application and interviews once they're done. Covid is the big question now, so again we just wait to see how many institutions make it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #2074 on: June 22, 2020, 10:40:44 AM »

Welcome! Frankly, tenure if the hard step; Full  is maybe half as stressful. Landing the TT in the first place is in large part pure luck, so while you have to do the work, there's no real point stressing about application and interviews once they're done. Covid is the big question now, so again we just wait to see how many institutions make it.

This is the frustrating part for me.  I've come to realize that there's only so much one can do to get on TT (other than apply for a crap-ton of positions).  I have several friends who applied ofr >40 TT positions before getting their current job.

StachingforLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2075 on: June 22, 2020, 01:29:43 PM »

Yes! 

I wish I had started investing when I first started working, too, but hindsight is 20/20.  Plus there are just so many more resources to help you learn these days.  I guess I'm a little jealous on some level of folks a decade or two younger than me because of that.  I can't complain, though.  I never thought I'd be retiring in my 40s.

I understand completely! The grass seems to always be greener in someone else's yard right? I get super jealous of kids who grew up frugal and are unintentionally going to be FIRE- like a bunch of friends of my husband's. I also get stupidly jealous of people who are farther along the journey than us. It's honestly silly though. The journey is enjoyable in itself!

That is another thing to be grateful for- all the available resources nowadays. And the increase in community :) Retiring in your 40's is f-ing incredible though! You should be so proud! You still jumped off the standard path that so many others are still on. Like my grandma -_- she's 80 and is still working and can't retire. That won't be me.

Mrs Brightside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • What one fool can do, another can.
« Reply #2076 on: July 01, 2020, 07:03:41 PM »
I was logging in to celebrate my student loan payoff as well! I'd been working on mine for slightly longer. Even though the interest rate was super low, it feels great to have that done.  Congrats to you too @Mrs Brightside !

Congrats @Pennycounter !!

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #2077 on: July 07, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
I began the FI journey about 12 years ago.  I had just turned 21, recovered from a battle with cancer, and graduated college. My initial move was to open an IRA, and after many days of researching, I was introduced to index investing and Bogle's Vanguard.  In times of market uncertainty--my first reaction has been to come to forums like this to hear from similar minded investors and mustachians as therapy and motivation.

This morning, our net worth eclipsed $1,000,000 for the first time.

I am tremendously grateful for the cumulative knowledge and caring community this forum has provided my family on this journey.

TB
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 03:41:12 PM by Tortoise Banker »

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2078 on: July 07, 2020, 03:49:46 PM »
I began the FI journey about 12 years ago.  I had just turned 21, recovered from a battle with cancer, and graduated college. My initial move was to open an IRA, and after many days of researching, I was introduced to index investing and Bogle's Vanguard.  In times of market uncertainty--my first reaction has been to come to forums like this to hear from similar minded investors and mustachians as therapy and motivation.

I am tremendously grateful for the cumulative knowledge and caring community this forum has provided my family on this journey.

TB

Awesome!!!  How long until FIRE?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2079 on: July 07, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »
Welcome to the two-comma club!

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #2080 on: July 07, 2020, 07:13:57 PM »

TB

Awesome!!!  How long until FIRE?

Thank you!  I’d imagine about 7 more years at age 40.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2081 on: July 07, 2020, 07:24:28 PM »
Wonderful!  Well, you are more than halfway now and trucking along just great. 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2082 on: July 10, 2020, 07:40:00 PM »

TB
Congratulations @Tortoise Banker!!  Welcome to the two comma club. 12 years? Impressive.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #2083 on: July 13, 2020, 09:46:58 PM »
Just sent out the final payment for the auto loan left over from my days before becoming a Mustachian. With that, I am now officially debt free!

Celebrated by increasing my 401k contributions by another 8% to keep the money flowing to the right places. Next year I should be able to max it out, along with an IRA. Who knows, maybe I'll even have some spare cheddar to throw into a brokerage account!

Really glad I was able to get this finished before I attend CampFI in Colorado this weekend. Would have really hurt my cred as a Mustachian to not be able to say I'm free of consumer debt. 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2084 on: July 14, 2020, 06:15:08 AM »
Just sent out the final payment for the auto loan left over from my days before becoming a Mustachian. With that, I am now officially debt free!

Celebrated by increasing my 401k contributions by another 8% to keep the money flowing to the right places. Next year I should be able to max it out, along with an IRA. Who knows, maybe I'll even have some spare cheddar to throw into a brokerage account!

Really glad I was able to get this finished before I attend CampFI in Colorado this weekend. Would have really hurt my cred as a Mustachian to not be able to say I'm free of consumer debt.

Congratulations! You just made a creditor sad. Heh heh heh.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2085 on: July 15, 2020, 08:28:24 AM »
We bought a used minivan last May (2019), in anticipation of our second child. We put 1/3 down and took out a loan for the remaining 2/3 at a fairly reasonable interest rate (5%). (My maternity leave was unpaid and we wanted extra liquidity in anticipation of time off work (a job I've since left for a *much* better role) and other budget adjustments that come with babies.)

After 14 months with an auto loan that I *loathed*, I paid off the loan balance this morning! YAY!

(I didn't feel like I could share this with anyone but my husband, who obviously knows, so I'm doing a little forum happy dance and sharing with you all!)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2086 on: July 15, 2020, 05:18:25 PM »
Congrats @midweststache!  Way to slay the consumer debt!

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2087 on: July 25, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »
We bought a used minivan last May (2019), in anticipation of our second child. We put 1/3 down and took out a loan for the remaining 2/3 at a fairly reasonable interest rate (5%). (My maternity leave was unpaid and we wanted extra liquidity in anticipation of time off work (a job I've since left for a *much* better role) and other budget adjustments that come with babies.)

After 14 months with an auto loan that I *loathed*, I paid off the loan balance this morning! YAY!

(I didn't feel like I could share this with anyone but my husband, who obviously knows, so I'm doing a little forum happy dance and sharing with you all!)

Very cool. It warms my heart to know that there is just a little less debt slavery out there today.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #2088 on: August 12, 2020, 06:26:05 AM »
Happened to notice today that I hit $100k in investments!  $68.5k in my 401k, $18.5k in my Roth IRA, and $13k in my (started in 2020) taxable account.  That's a fun milestone!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2089 on: August 12, 2020, 07:48:29 AM »
Happened to notice today that I hit $100k in investments!  $68.5k in my 401k, $18.5k in my Roth IRA, and $13k in my (started in 2020) taxable account.  That's a fun milestone!
Way to go!

That's the threshold where it really starts to compound into "real money"!     Historical average US market return is 10% (7% minus average inflation), so that's $10k.   $10k is a lot of money.  It's enough for a new roof.   Or a new HVAC.   Or a new used car without a car payment.    (And hopefully it will be used for compound growth instead!)

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2090 on: August 13, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
Went from not having enough on hand to fund my IRA in January to having maxxed it out this week!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2091 on: August 13, 2020, 02:26:19 PM »
Went from not having enough on hand to fund my IRA in January to having maxxed it out this week!
Excellent!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2092 on: August 13, 2020, 04:01:18 PM »
Way to go!

That's the threshold where it really starts to compound into "real money"!     Historical average US market return is 10% (7% minus average inflation), so that's $10k.   $10k is a lot of money.  It's enough for a new roof.   Or a new HVAC.   Or a new used car without a car payment.    (And hopefully it will be used for compound growth instead!)

Exactly!.. Hit 1 million and thats $100k per year for doing absolutely nothing..:)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2093 on: August 13, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
That’s some serious awesomeness. Congratulations!

catlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2094 on: August 24, 2020, 06:28:27 PM »
We just payed off our car \o/ 14K down. I am soooooooooo happy, now to rebuild our emergency fund and next year max at least the TFSA <3 Hopefully we learned our lesson and we will never again spend so much money on a car (32K :( )

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2095 on: August 24, 2020, 06:45:14 PM »
Sold a flip house and knocked $50k off our mortgage.

Just sold our old home and we'll be knocking $112k off our mortgage when the check clears.

Escrow has over $7100 in it and when that shows up we'll put that on the mortgage, too.

In about a month our mortgage balance will have dropped 75% from the original balance last January.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2096 on: August 24, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »
Sold a flip house and knocked $50k off our mortgage.

Just sold our old home and we'll be knocking $112k off our mortgage when the check clears.

Escrow has over $7100 in it and when that shows up we'll put that on the mortgage, too.

In about a month our mortgage balance will have dropped 75% from the original balance last January.

Sweet!!! One more paid off house coming up.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2097 on: August 24, 2020, 08:07:51 PM »
We just payed off our car \o/ 14K down. I am soooooooooo happy, now to rebuild our emergency fund and next year max at least the TFSA <3 Hopefully we learned our lesson and we will never again spend so much money on a car (32K :( )
Very nice! Congratulations! Isn’t killing debt fun?

catlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2098 on: August 25, 2020, 04:04:05 AM »
Very nice! Congratulations! Isn’t killing debt fun?

Omg so awesome!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #2099 on: August 25, 2020, 07:01:26 AM »
DH is FI of his own accord, at least while the market continues to froth.