Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648302 times)

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1950 on: July 09, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
Today I returned from the hospital. On Sunday, I swallowed a pointy thing that I did not see after barely chewing a delicous button mushroom fresh from the barbeque.
My esophagus still feels like I swallowed a Giraffe eating a thorn bush, but that could have gone worse. Still hungover from the anaesthesia. Oh and (almost) free health care.

Wow!  Glad you are ok.  That sounds awful.  Hope you feel better soon.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1951 on: July 10, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
Today I returned from the hospital. On Sunday, I swallowed a pointy thing that I did not see after barely chewing a delicous button mushroom fresh from the barbeque.
My esophagus still feels like I swallowed a Giraffe eating a thorn bush, but that could have gone worse. Still hungover from the anaesthesia. Oh and (almost) free health care.

Wow!  Glad you are ok.  That sounds awful.  Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks! Yes, sleeping helped quite a bit already. Have a good day everyone!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1952 on: July 11, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
Was this one of the metal bristles from the grill brushes? Regardless, I'm glad you're okay and on the mend!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1953 on: July 11, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
Ouch! Good to hear you are on the mend.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1954 on: July 12, 2019, 10:42:36 AM »
Was this one of the metal bristles from the grill brushes? Regardless, I'm glad you're okay and on the mend!

That could have been worse, but easier to find in a CT scan... It was propably a toothpick that had burned off a bit on the sides, and just the part inside the mushroom/bacon assembly was intact. So the moral of the story is to not use toothpicks if there is a slight probabilty someone very hungry might not check properly for that... Or to check your food properly in the first place. Yay still alive :-D

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1955 on: July 13, 2019, 02:47:53 PM »
Different sort of celebration but my wife and I finally had an in depth discussion on plans for perpetual travel or at least an attempt at that. We came out with a very fair plan and an even more exciting timeline of 3 years where we will draw down much less at first to let my stashe grow while living off her generous pers retirement.

It makes both of us super stoked to kick ass for 3 more years and still get to spend many of her hopefully fit and healthy years together. She is quite a bit older than me so we have a bit of an odd age/retirement dynamic.

Initial goal is Western Europe for a few years of slow travel across Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and whatever else we fancy. I'm a euro citizen so shouldn't be overly tough to make that happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1956 on: July 13, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
Different sort of celebration but my wife and I finally had an in depth discussion on plans for perpetual travel or at least an attempt at that. We came out with a very fair plan and an even more exciting timeline of 3 years where we will draw down much less at first to let my stashe grow while living off her generous pers retirement.

It makes both of us super stoked to kick ass for 3 more years and still get to spend many of her hopefully fit and healthy years together. She is quite a bit older than me so we have a bit of an odd age/retirement dynamic.

Initial goal is Western Europe for a few years of slow travel across Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and whatever else we fancy. I'm a euro citizen so shouldn't be overly tough to make that happen.

That sounds like something to look forward to! And especially Portugal and Greece are quite affordable. Enjoy!

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #1957 on: July 14, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »
Congrats to all the other posters with celebrations!

DH got a big bonus (well, big by our standards) which was enough to fully find his Roth IRA for the year. It's mid-July and we've now maxed both Roth's in addition to automated withdrawals for HSA max and 401k match. All that's left on our list of savings goals for the year is to put something in the 529's for our two kids.

For a family of 4 living on <85K gross, we are feeling pretty pleased.

Oh, and we went two entire months without an unexpected expensive home repair. That is truly a victory.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1958 on: July 14, 2019, 10:56:57 PM »
Back when my wife and I started our rental property business, we made a promise to ourselves that every 5th or 6th house would be for some charitable purpose.   We just felt that if we could afford to buy 5 or 6 houses we ought to be helping out our community. 

We're under contract to purchase a home that will be used either as a half-way house for foster kids aging out of the support system or to provide below market rate lodging for college students.   We haven't done this sort of thing before so we'll have to muddle thru the logistics of how to set up a charity or (even better) identify one that's already set up. 

The property is a judicial sale of an estate property so we're subject to being outbid on the property over the next 10 business days.   Wish us luck!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1959 on: July 15, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
Hit 6-figures in my work 401K today!  Wish I would have found Mustachianism sooner, it took waaaaay too long to get to 100K (9 years).  Oh well, they say the first 100K is the hardest.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1960 on: July 15, 2019, 08:55:08 AM »
Good luck @SwordGuy!  Fingers crossed for your cool project.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1961 on: July 15, 2019, 03:32:36 PM »
Back when my wife and I started our rental property business, we made a promise to ourselves that every 5th or 6th house would be for some charitable purpose.   We just felt that if we could afford to buy 5 or 6 houses we ought to be helping out our community. 

We're under contract to purchase a home that will be used either as a half-way house for foster kids aging out of the support system or to provide below market rate lodging for college students.   We haven't done this sort of thing before so we'll have to muddle thru the logistics of how to set up a charity or (even better) identify one that's already set up. 

The property is a judicial sale of an estate property so we're subject to being outbid on the property over the next 10 business days.   Wish us luck!
That sounds like such a great idea! Fingers crossed you get it.

Hit 6-figures in my work 401K today!  Wish I would have found Mustachianism sooner, it took waaaaay too long to get to 100K (9 years).  Oh well, they say the first 100K is the hardest.

Congrats! Never mind I had about 250k in my retirement account at age 53, and around 300k mortgage debt, if I recall correctly. 7 years later I'm retired. Once you find the formula, if you just stick with it you will be amazed!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1962 on: July 19, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »

I just crossed six figures in my retirement accounts!

Congrats!  And congratulations to @v8rx7guy as well -- you two are neck and neck!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1963 on: July 22, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »
Good luck @SwordGuy!  Fingers crossed for your cool project.

Indeed. I really like your approach. I have friends who are foster parents and it is very easy to connect the dots to what you are doing making a positive difference in people's lives.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1964 on: July 23, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

I just crossed six figures in my retirement accounts!

Congrats!  And congratulations to @v8rx7guy as well -- you two are neck and neck!

Congrats! I was surprised how fast things accelerated.  $100K took forever then $200K was the next day basically.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1965 on: July 26, 2019, 01:10:00 PM »

Awesome!!! Routing for the foster kids aging out ...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1966 on: July 26, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »

Awesome!!! Routing for the foster kids aging out ...
Thanks!

We have an official contract as of yesterday afternoon.  Closing on the 20th!

Volunteers wanting to do some carpentourism are welcome to help us refurbish it!   

Learn useful, money-saving skills!

Do a good deed!   Earn good karma!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1967 on: July 27, 2019, 03:16:35 AM »
CONGRATS @SwordGuy -- that is fabulous.  Do you know which way you're going to go with the property yet?  (halfway house for foster kids, or affordable housing for college students?)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1968 on: July 27, 2019, 11:47:15 AM »
CONGRATS @SwordGuy -- that is fabulous.  Do you know which way you're going to go with the property yet?  (halfway house for foster kids, or affordable housing for college students?)

No, I  suspect it will be the path of least resistance.   Whichever group out there is most helpful will get the benefit.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1969 on: August 18, 2019, 07:37:07 AM »
We got a Nissan Leaf! 

We've been toying with the idea & looking at Leafs (Leaves?) since 2015.  We had been waiting for our trusty 2001 gas-guzzler to die, but also keeping an eye Craig's list.  A week ago, we saw one that is exactly what I wanted; 2012, white, SL, with all the fun options except leather.

It has 8 bars left.  Max range is apparently around 50-55 miles, which is more than I generally drive in a week.  We expect to replace the battery down the road (tee hee) but the range will be adequate for me even when we lose a few more bars.

Gas guzzler is still running.  DH is fixing it up to sell.

Next step - solar!

https://mashable.com/article/tesla-rent-solar-program/

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1970 on: August 18, 2019, 11:00:10 AM »
p.s.  SwordGuy, you are a good person!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1971 on: August 23, 2019, 07:57:43 PM »
Sold a rental today! And kerplop, the funds showed up in our checking account by wire this afternoon.
Nice to have an amount greater than a year's gross salary show up in one giant lump

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1972 on: August 26, 2019, 07:23:35 PM »
Sold my 2005 Honda Odyssey today! $1,500, and now I will save $1,400 in car insurance on a car that only drove 450 miles in the past year. Winning!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1973 on: August 26, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »
Got asked to be a teacher's assistant to a noted artist this fall at a really good craft school.   Basically, I get to go do what I would pay to do, only I get to do it for free.

:)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1974 on: August 26, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
Excellent!

Mrs. D.

• Stubble
« Reply #1975 on: October 01, 2019, 11:52:38 AM »
It's October 1st and we've met our savings goals for 2019!
Contributed to DH's 401K up to match (6% + 3%)
Maxed HSA
Maxed my Roth and DH's Roth
Saved $2500 in each kid's 529 ($5000 total)
This puts us in the 35-40% savings rate area, which is small fry for this forum but feels like an accomplishment for us!

The final hurdle is making sure we stockpile enough cash to cover the onslaught of EOY property taxes (without dipping into our EF).

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1976 on: October 11, 2019, 12:42:57 AM »
I've now been on this forum for 7 years tomorrow! Can't believe that.

My NW has gone up about a million in that time. That's crazy to think about really because my real estate assets have actually gone down by $150,000 in the past two years. So when they bounce back + a stockmarket increase + general savings I should get to around $2.5 million by the time I'm 40, if not more $ or less time.

That's really exciting :)

nancyfrank232

• Stubble
« Reply #1977 on: October 11, 2019, 01:10:25 AM »

My NW has gone up about a million in that time. That's crazy to think about really because my real estate assets have actually gone down by $150,000 in the past two years. So when they bounce back + a stockmarket increase + general savings I should get to around $2.5 million by the time I'm 40, if not more $ or less time.

Congrats!

Quick question. Where are you located where real estate has declined in the last 2 years?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1978 on: October 11, 2019, 06:22:11 PM »
Way to go Marty!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1979 on: October 14, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »

Congrats!

Quick question. Where are you located where real estate has declined in the last 2 years?
His profile says Sydney... :-)

Diovin1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1980 on: November 12, 2019, 12:36:22 AM »
Mighty impressive, JLee!

mikedenver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1981 on: November 14, 2019, 10:07:42 AM »
Every journey begins with a single step:

I biked to the grocery store in freezing temperatures yesterday! One small step towards being less of a Car Clown =)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1982 on: November 14, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »

I biked to the grocery store in freezing temperatures yesterday! One small step towards being less of a Car Clown =)

Nice. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1983 on: November 18, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »
I was running numbers today trying to predict 2019 taxes and realized that using MAAP (Mustachian Accepted Accounting Practices - ie counting debt repayment as savings) we will save more than our AGI this year...

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1984 on: November 19, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
I was running numbers today trying to predict 2019 taxes and realized that using MAAP (Mustachian Accepted Accounting Practices - ie counting debt repayment as savings) we will save more than our AGI this year...

I love this. :3 Yay for the strength rate! Yay for your financial badassity!

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1985 on: November 22, 2019, 07:36:59 PM »
Finalized the immigration process and officially became a us citizen today. This was a huge step prior to making a move abroad in anticipation of temporary pause in my career in 2023/2024 or so.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1986 on: November 23, 2019, 08:44:20 AM »
Finalized the immigration process and officially became a us citizen today. This was a huge step prior to making a move abroad in anticipation of temporary pause in my career in 2023/2024 or so.

Welcome! 

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1987 on: November 23, 2019, 11:50:39 PM »

Welcome!
Thank you!

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #1988 on: December 04, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
Yay!
Coded my first lines of c++ today. I had this on my wishlist for about 20 years now, but got distracted by life, perl, bash, tcl, java and some of that.
Its really cool to see compiled binarys running, knowing every character of the source is my own :)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1989 on: December 04, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »
Yay!
Coded my first lines of c++ today. I had this on my wishlist for about 20 years now, but got distracted by life, perl, bash, tcl, java and some of that.
Its really cool to see compiled binarys running, knowing every character of the source is my own :)

Cool.  Are you FIREd? 

dcarroll

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1990 on: December 05, 2019, 06:41:29 PM »
Thanks happy & SwordGuy.  I'm expecting it to dip back down again but it's a fun milestone.

My husband saw it and said "two chicks at the same time" [Office Space]

Ha, we just recently watched Office Space. Congratulations on your milestone!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1991 on: December 07, 2019, 04:20:22 AM »
Today is my 4 year anniversary of a serious cancer diagnosis.  Currently all is well -- no evidence of disease.  I'm grateful for every. single. day. and loving life.   

To everyone else who's been through it or helped a loved one through it, I'm sending good thoughts your way.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1992 on: December 07, 2019, 05:07:27 AM »
Fuck yeah, Trifele. That's an awesome reminder to all of us.

ItsALongStory

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1993 on: December 07, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
Today is my 4 year anniversary of a serious cancer diagnosis.  Currently all is well -- no evidence of disease.  I'm grateful for every. single. day. and loving life.   

To everyone else who's been through it or helped a loved one through it, I'm sending good thoughts your way.
Great stuff, I cannot imagine how good it must feel to see clear scans whenever you do them.

My wife had stage 3 melanoma in 2010 and she is also doing great although she is starting to get some minor lymphoedema now in her left foot.

DaKini

• Bristles
« Reply #1994 on: December 08, 2019, 11:45:16 AM »
Yay!

Cool.  Are you FIREd?
No i think about 20 years away from that...

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1995 on: December 18, 2019, 07:52:46 AM »
I just calculated that I will hit $56,013.38 total contributions to my 401K with my final paycheck this year. 
This will be the first time I'm able to hit the $56K total contribution limit due to my contributions being capped at 40%.  I've been doing Pre-Tax + After Tax->RIPC for the last 3 years but this year, thanks to a combination of a raise and better than average profit sharing from my company, is the first time I was able to max it out! 

trashtalk

• Stubble
« Reply #1996 on: December 18, 2019, 09:53:25 AM »
I just calculated that I will hit $56,013.38 total contributions to my 401K with my final paycheck this year. 
This will be the first time I'm able to hit the $56K total contribution limit due to my contributions being capped at 40%.  I've been doing Pre-Tax + After Tax->RIPC for the last 3 years but this year, thanks to a combination of a raise and better than average profit sharing from my company, is the first time I was able to max it out!

Whoo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1997 on: December 20, 2019, 11:13:22 AM »
Thoroughly happy to have just started the process to refinance our primary home at a lower interest rate and to a 15 yr mortgage with under $100 in costs!

On top of that, also thrilled to be refinancing a rental property with the same basic deal (down to from 30 yr to a 15 yr, decent drop in the rate etc) and due to property value increases, we are also now able own another rental out right by the end of the deal.

Yippee!

Nice.  What rate did you get if you don't mind sharing? 

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #1998 on: January 01, 2020, 10:50:26 PM »

That is fantastic; way to go! Badass.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #1999 on: January 01, 2020, 10:55:59 PM »
Last month, we passed $1M in invested assets (combination of 401k, Roth, HSA and taxable accounts), picked up our second comma!

We also have $220k of shares in a small privately held commercial REIT (two strip malls) that have yielded about $20-26k/year for the last 4-5 years, paying our mortgage and then some. So our overall net worth has been over 1M for while, but it’s still gratifying to see.

We think we’ll get another $2-300k until trying to pay down the mortgage ($116k), with goal of Fat FI(+-ER) at $2M in 7ish years. I could see myself not doing RE for awhile, as I get fulfilled from my job, but who knows how I’ll be then. Maybe drop down to part time. I really feel like we’re getting momentum! Thanks for being the people who understand this stuff.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!