Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648247 times)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1900 on: March 19, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
First - @CindyBS . You are a total badass. Wow, I am in awe.
Looking forward to seeing you and your family to pwn it like the superheroes you are.

onlykelsey - good luck starting a new, footloose and joyful chapter!

Also- after ten years of saving to my IRA and taxable brokerage, I'm finally Voyager Select client at Vanguard. It's the little victories!

Congrats!  Had to look that up.  It looks like I am currently just a "Voyager Client", and will remain one as I'm about to pull money for a down payment.  Are you going to talk to one of their CFPs?

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1901 on: March 20, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
I turned in my resignation!! 3/29/19 will be the start of what I am calling a "smoke break" on the way to FIRE! I'm giving myself through September to see if I like smoking so much I fan the FIRE and make it permanent. Puns intended!

(Popularly known as a SAHP since the DH is still working and we have 2 kids at home....However they are high schoolers, and don't really need me to stay at home.)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1902 on: March 20, 2019, 03:31:37 PM »
I wrote my letter of resignation and retirement recently too! Feels great :)

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Separation Agreement
« Reply #1903 on: March 21, 2019, 04:16:09 AM »
Sort of a bittersweet thing, but I got my separation agreement signed this week and will officially be a divorced single mom in a couple weeks!  My ex is not an evil man, but I am very glad we are (about to be) not married anymore.  Onward and upward!

Still waiting on the stamped paperwork, but a new celebration is that I am about to accept a job earning ~45% what I do post-tax, because at 900K and 32 I don't need to work like this anymore.  I'm sure single parenting will fill up a lot of my newly free time, but I'm so, so excited for a change.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1904 on: March 21, 2019, 04:25:39 PM »
I wrote my letter of resignation and retirement recently too! Feels great :)

Wow.  I'm jealous.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:28:25 PM by dougules »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1905 on: March 21, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »
Have started teaching metalworking and enameling classes again.  Just got two new students.  :)

Suelavie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Never too late
« Reply #1906 on: March 22, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
Congrats all !

I just began this week a super list of all the ways I can think of to reduce spending or get back some money.

More than 60 ideas, a large majority of them coming from this forum.  I will attack the items of the list one by one. 

Today, I recovered almost 500$ of "Boni-dollars"from Credit Cards that I finally put in my RRSP, after years of doing anything with them.

It is so exciting! (my list includes "Categories", "Action required", "Required Level of effort", "Frequency of required effort", "Level of impact on comfort", "Level of risk" and then the cool colums: "Monthly saving", "Annual Savings", "10 years Savings")

Yeah!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:23:04 PM by Suelavie »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1907 on: April 10, 2019, 05:36:13 PM »
Today I hit 100 days in a row of doing my daily habits/routines that I implemented a few months back.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1908 on: April 10, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »
Today I hit 100 days in a row of doing my daily habits/routines that I implemented a few months back.
Congrats!  What are your new daily habits and routine?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1909 on: April 10, 2019, 06:52:31 PM »

Good for you!  It's been a year or so since I've made a real effort at this.  I should get back to it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1910 on: April 10, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »

Various things like: 10 minutes Meditation, 20-30 minutes fiction reading, 20-30 minutes nonfiction reading (books, not Internet), small workout, extra pushups, gratitude journal, some sort of "work" for the day, etc. I also have some bi-weekly and monthly habits on there. (And a few things I put in just to remind me/track, like daily multivitamin.)

I use the Android app "Loop - Habit Tracker". Totally free, open source, no ads, and very simple/usable design. I'm a fan.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1911 on: April 10, 2019, 08:08:38 PM »

Various things like: 10 minutes Meditation, 20-30 minutes fiction reading, 20-30 minutes nonfiction reading (books, not Internet), small workout, extra pushups, gratitude journal, some sort of "work" for the day, etc. I also have some bi-weekly and monthly habits on there. (And a few things I put in just to remind me/track, like daily multivitamin.)

I use the Android app "Loop - Habit Tracker". Totally free, open source, no ads, and very simple/usable design. I'm a fan.

Ooohh I'm gonna celebrate my fancy new phone that has room for more than 1 app at a time by trying this out myself!

MommyCake

• Stubble
« Reply #1912 on: April 29, 2019, 04:48:10 AM »
Recently I gave notice at my stable government job because I've been unhappy for several years.

In two weeks I will be starting a new, lower-paying position that I think I will love. 

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1913 on: April 30, 2019, 08:00:45 AM »
Today I paid off our Student Loan Balance. It took 14 months to pay off ~63k. So grateful we found MMM!

We are officially debt free!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1914 on: April 30, 2019, 01:27:54 PM »
Today I paid off our Student Loan Balance. It took 14 months to pay off ~63k. So grateful we found MMM!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! It will feel good every year from now on out when people complain about their student loans while driving a fancy car sipping a Starbucks.  Or at least that's how DH and I feel.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1915 on: April 30, 2019, 02:26:39 PM »
Congratulations on your new job @MommyCake!  Wishing you lots of happiness in the new role.

@zeli2033 -- Congrats on killing the student loans!  You will fly light and free after this. 

:)

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1916 on: April 30, 2019, 03:50:31 PM »
Thanks, @couponvan and @Trifele! We feel lighter already :)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1917 on: April 30, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »

It feels good, doesn't it?

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1918 on: May 04, 2019, 12:59:11 PM »
I just wanted to celebrate that the physics in my last MRI experiment for my ph.d. thesis worked out exactly as I assumed, the data looks almost too good to be true.

Although I am still writing on this chapter, I am thrilled. That work nearly got the best of me. But so happy it was not all in vain. I can map a dynamic process with the time resolution of method a) and the dynamic range of method b), combining the strenghts and elimating the weaknesses of each method. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 01:00:57 PM by BobTheBuilder »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1919 on: May 04, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
I just wanted to celebrate that the physics in my last MRI experiment for my ph.d. thesis worked out exactly as I assumed, the data looks almost too good to be true.

Although I am still writing on this chapter, I am thrilled. That work nearly got the best of me. But so happy it was not all in vain. I can map a dynamic process with the time resolution of method a) and the dynamic range of method b), combining the strenghts and elimating the weaknesses of each method.

And don't forget to patent it if you can.

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1920 on: May 05, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »

I like your thinking! And the A-Team reference!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1921 on: May 05, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »

I like your thinking! And the A-Team reference!

I'm in the Vanguard of science student career advisors.  My fees are only 0.04% of your royalties. :)

okisok

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1922 on: June 22, 2019, 11:36:15 PM »
Went from a net worth of about $20,000 two years ago, to just rolling over to $80,000 yesterday! I found the Frugalwoods and MMM and Donna Freedman, and made a lot of lifestyle changes. Including taking a lower-paying but less stressful job. So I've managed to save more in the last two years than I did in the last ten, all while making less money!

My investment income will change, but as of now each month's income would pay my housing costs. That's an incredible feeling, to know that I could lose my job or go to part-time, and I could still have a great standard of living! I stress so much less at work, knowing I don't HAVE TO HAVE this job. But it is really nice to have, to keep beefing up my investments!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1923 on: June 24, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
Went from a net worth of about $20,000 two years ago, to just rolling over to $80,000 yesterday! I found the Frugalwoods and MMM and Donna Freedman, and made a lot of lifestyle changes. Including taking a lower-paying but less stressful job. So I've managed to save more in the last two years than I did in the last ten, all while making less money!

My investment income will change, but as of now each month's income would pay my housing costs. That's an incredible feeling, to know that I could lose my job or go to part-time, and I could still have a great standard of living! I stress so much less at work, knowing I don't HAVE TO HAVE this job. But it is really nice to have, to keep beefing up my investments!

Less stress is the best thing money can buy. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1924 on: June 24, 2019, 05:47:23 PM »
Took advantage of the low interest rates and closed on a house today. Just big enough for what we need, and zero plans to expand to anything bigger in the future. Still a bit of a tough gut check to buy in Seattle, but the price and situation works favorably relative to renting.

hodge

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1925 on: June 28, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
With today's paycheck, I crossed the $200,000 net worth mark! Found MMM in May 2013, when I was fresh out of grad school and had negative net worth from student loans. Salary growth (higher ed) in those years went 34k, 36k, 50k, 52k, 55k, 70k, 72k. Savings rate is currently hovering around 40% -- still a lot of work to do on that front, but it feels good to be making real progress.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1926 on: June 28, 2019, 11:03:05 AM »
With today's paycheck, I crossed the $200,000 net worth mark! Found MMM in May 2013, when I was fresh out of grad school and had negative net worth from student loans. Salary growth (higher ed) in those years went 34k, 36k, 50k, 52k, 55k, 70k, 72k. Savings rate is currently hovering around 40% -- still a lot of work to do on that front, but it feels good to be making real progress.

Good work!  Now comes the boring part... just keeping on, keeping on, til you hit your FI number.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1927 on: June 29, 2019, 04:35:36 AM »

Good work!  Now comes the boring part... just keeping on, keeping on, til you hit your FI number.

Great job @hodge!  Nereo's right.  This next part on the journey is weird.  You may have this odd restless feeling, like you're not doing enough.  That's because all the low-hanging opportunities have been grabbed.  The trick at that stage is to sort of forget about the money for a while, and just live your life.  The buckets are filling up; they don't need you to watch them.  :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:00:40 PM by Trifele »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1928 on: June 29, 2019, 04:36:57 AM »
Took advantage of the low interest rates and closed on a house today. Just big enough for what we need, and zero plans to expand to anything bigger in the future. Still a bit of a tough gut check to buy in Seattle, but the price and situation works favorably relative to renting.

Fantastic @Glenstache -- congrats!  Right-sizing your housing is one of the biggest moves we can make to optimize finances.   

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1929 on: June 30, 2019, 07:58:21 PM »
Hit $100k net worth this month!  Only person I told IRL was my mom, who was mildly amused when I informed her I was 1/10 a millionaire.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1930 on: June 30, 2019, 11:18:52 PM »
Hit $100k net worth this month!  Only person I told IRL was my mom, who was mildly amused when I informed her I was 1/10 a millionaire.

That's awesome!   That's about when you start to notice some big gains (or losses).   A 15% gain in a year is $15,000, about 1/4th of the median family income in the US.  That's not chump change!   And it just gets better and better over time! :)

ico

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1931 on: July 02, 2019, 07:08:18 AM »
Celebrating a new job that's a 40% increase in salary, which started yesterday! Hoping to pay down student loans faster at this rate.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1932 on: July 02, 2019, 07:18:05 AM »

Congrats!

For myself: Took advantage of the low interest rates and closed on a house yesterday. Much bigger than what we need, and zero plans to downsize to anything smaller in the future. Still a bit of a tough gut check to buy in Seattle, and the price and situation is fairly poor relative to renting.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1933 on: July 02, 2019, 08:14:07 AM »

Congrats!

For myself: Took advantage of the low interest rates and closed on a house yesterday. Much bigger than what we need, and zero plans to downsize to anything smaller in the future. Still a bit of a tough gut check to buy in Seattle, and the price and situation is fairly poor relative to renting.

Lol. Congrats! I will now be walking distance to Chucks Hop Shop, so may restart the MMM Seattle meetups there.

Mika M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE stars in my eyes
    • The Lazy Frugal
« Reply #1934 on: July 02, 2019, 03:05:25 PM »
DH & I just past $1m net worth!!  :)   (excluding equity on the condo we bought last year ~$25k)

We've been pretty excited and really wanted to break the news to someone but don't have any friends or family we can gush to about it without worrying about it getting weird and awkward (nobody we know personally is even remotely Mustachian).

We first started working on getting more frugal when I discovered MMM five years ago, with about $200k scattered in miscellaneous accounts.

And we've come this far being pretty half-assed Mustachians at that (still splurge plenty on dumb stuff like kid crap and fancy alcohol, still drive everywhere in a car that was bought new with a loan, sent our kid to a nice full time day care the whole time... but three years ago we did go down to one car (a now-paid-off mid-size sedan) - but everyone thinks we're super weird just for that... also downsized from a 1450-sq-ft townhouse to a 960-sq-ft apt condo because we're very lazy and unhandy so that's saved lots in fixed bills and time/energy/money in cleaning, maintenance, and lawn care... most people think we're even weirder for doing that.)

Our original goal was about $1.5+, but we'll see how much longer we can't stand the 9-5 slog! :)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1935 on: July 02, 2019, 06:25:19 PM »
Congrats Mika M! Amazing what even going at this thing a little half-assed still can do!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1936 on: July 03, 2019, 06:06:27 AM »
Congratulations @Mika M!  Good for you.  :)

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1937 on: July 03, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
My Vanguard account just went over 1,000,000 for the first time! 

Non-retirement         $28,844.36
Rollover IRA         $33,099.49
Roth IRA            $100,688.83
Employer plans         $838,793.48
Total Vanguard assets   $1,001,426.16

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1938 on: July 03, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »

Congrats.  It still boggles my mind how fast it happened to us. 

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1939 on: July 03, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
Congrats.  It still boggles my mind how fast it happened to us. 

Thanks!  Yeah, once you know the secret!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1940 on: July 03, 2019, 05:19:43 PM »

Nice one nousveauRiche!. so many millionaires on this forum!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1941 on: July 03, 2019, 07:05:46 PM »

Congrats!   That's something to be proud of!

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #1942 on: July 03, 2019, 09:03:29 PM »
Thanks happy & SwordGuy.  I'm expecting it to dip back down again but it's a fun milestone.

My husband saw it and said "two chicks at the same time" [Office Space]

Mika M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE stars in my eyes
    • The Lazy Frugal
« Reply #1943 on: July 04, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »

Woohoo!!

Tortoise Banker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The winning strategy is simple, but not easy.
    • Tortoise Banker
« Reply #1944 on: July 05, 2019, 09:29:08 AM »
Just passed 500k in investments on the 4th of July!  BOOM!  We have a paid off house (415k), and a net worth just shy of 900k...   Should be FI by 2025 (family of 4, wife stay at home Mom)...

Stay the course--best to all!

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1945 on: July 05, 2019, 02:22:20 PM »
Thanks happy & SwordGuy.  I'm expecting it to dip back down again but it's a fun milestone.

My husband saw it and said "two chicks at the same time" [Office Space]

LOL @ the office space reference. Congrats!

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #1946 on: July 05, 2019, 02:43:41 PM »
love this thread!

we finally passed the $450,000 in investments goal this morning - feels great! 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1947 on: July 07, 2019, 07:09:32 AM »
My 401k balance just tipped over $100k!  Whether or not it dips back down under with the stock market, I'm excited it's at that point :)  I've got plenty of time to put more money in there.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1948 on: July 07, 2019, 07:57:25 AM »
My 401k balance just tipped over $100k!  Whether or not it dips back down under with the stock market, I'm excited it's at that point :)  I've got plenty of time to put more money in there.

Congrats!

Getting from below zero to $10,000 is the most important milestone because then you've got interest working with you and a decent sized cushion to make big problems become minor annoyances.

$100,000 is the next important milestone because that's when compounding really starts to be done in sizeable amounts of money.   A 10% average market return is $10,000 which isn't chump change!

Your next milestone is when your market returns are greater than your maxed out 401k!   Save on!

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1949 on: July 09, 2019, 02:04:50 PM »
Today I returned from the hospital. On Sunday, I swallowed a pointy thing that I did not see after barely chewing a delicous button mushroom fresh from the barbeque.
My esophagus still feels like I swallowed a Giraffe eating a thorn bush, but that could have gone worse. Still hungover from the anaesthesia. Oh and (almost) free health care.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!