Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648173 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1800 on: September 08, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »
Just finished renovating a rental property and put it up for rent.   We have a prospective tenant applying for it already!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1801 on: September 14, 2018, 06:09:56 AM »
Someone suggested that I might want to share the following here, especially since I can't share it with off-line friends:

As of yesterday, husband and I have paid off just over $10,000 of home improvement/auto loan and credit card debt since last November. We have $2500 left on the low-interest auto loan, and then we'll just have the mortgage (~$56,000).

This seems unreal. I was raised to assume that people always had debt. Several of my good friends currently have scary debt. It's so freeing to learn that "normal" doesn't mean "good" or "inevitable."

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1802 on: September 14, 2018, 07:09:18 AM »
Someone suggested that I might want to share the following here, especially since I can't share it with off-line friends:

As of yesterday, husband and I have paid off just over $10,000 of home improvement/auto loan and credit card debt since last November. We have $2500 left on the low-interest auto loan, and then we'll just have the mortgage (~$56,000).

This seems unreal. I was raised to assume that people always had debt. Several of my good friends currently have scary debt. It's so freeing to learn that "normal" doesn't mean "good" or "inevitable."

@OtherJen , yeah, you!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1803 on: September 14, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »

@OtherJen , yeah, you!

Thanks! Stay safe this weekend!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1804 on: September 16, 2018, 03:19:21 PM »
~$5,000 cap gain + dividend posted in investment account. seems like real money!

Manchester

• Bristles
« Reply #1805 on: September 21, 2018, 05:52:56 AM »
I've been an MMM poster for a year now and I wanted to share my experience with anyone who's interested in this type of thing.   This is a celebration of both my wake-up call and the support I've received from you all (especially the race to 10k thread).

A year ago I'd just got back from Vegas for my sisters wedding.  In a place where money is thrown around like it means nothing, it couldn't have meant more to me.  You see, I'd just returned my expensive, flashy car at work.  I was paying over £500 per month to drive the thing.  It went back the day before I'd left.  I had a burning hole in my pocket.  A new car meant a new insurance policy, a deposit.  I knew my friends were speculating as to why I'd gone from a top spec Audi to a basic V/W without a bell or whistle in sight.  I felt embarrassed. 

Worse than this,  I had no savings, no investments.  I received my pay cheque and it would be gone, with nothing to show before the next.  I wasn't necessarily stupid with money (other than the car, face punches are welcome on that one).  I'd saved over £20k by the time I was 21.  I'd invested it into a property with my childhood sweetheart.  The equity we've built in the property in the past 2 and a half years was more than I earned in a year!   But that doesn't help you when you have what seems like a mountain of debt snowballing in your bank account.  No, I wasn't stupid, I just wanted to live like all my friends did, who earn good money but live at home with mum and dad.  I had no other choice than to rack up a few thousand £'s worth of debt on my credit card.  The 17.99% interest rate was nothing compared to the shame associated to asking my family for a loan.

I knew it was a ridiculous position to be in.  I wasn't' earning bad money, my girlfriend had a brilliant job!  The only thing preventing us from financial security was ourselves.  I used excuses like 'well we had to go to Vegas, it was my sister's wedding!!' 'I have to stay at Caesar's so I'm around my family, the cheaper hotels are too far away!'.  Another great one was 'Yeah the car is expensive, but when you're driving a 700 mile round trip for work it's important to be in something comfortable'.  Myself and my S/O had serious arguments about money.  I flat out refused to ask family for help.  My pride wouldn't allow it.  I clung on to a persona of a young man who'd done well for himself.  I wanted people to perceive I was wealthy and doing better than my school friends.  My favourite compliment was 'How on earth can you afford that car at your age'.  The truth was that I couldn't.

I signed up to this forum and decided to make a change. 

I started posting in the race to 10k thread.  It seemed like a good place to start.  My goal was to graduate by December 2018.  I immediately cut back on some luxuries, we started buying own-brand foods, less nights out, no new clothes and we saw the benefits quite quickly.  I was out of debt by December!  I'd even found an old pension pot I'd contributed too whilst working a part time job when I was younger (see, I'm not that stupid with money).  However the major issue was that I had no savings.  I knew if SHTF I'd have to rack up credit card debt again and the cycle would re-start.  A week before Christmas my girlfriend received a call, she'd been made redundant with no severance package.  She loved the job, it felt like a real kick in the teeth and we'd been put on the back foot.

She immediately sought new work, but it took time.  Over 4 months in total.  She's a very strong person, but she'd had a bereavement just before Christmas as and combined with a medical issue she had a really tough start to 2018.  Thankfully she'd managed to save a bit prior to being made redundant.  My N/W stagnated.  It's so frustrating to feel like you're living frugally, but not see the benefit.  I just kept on telling myself that I'm in a better position than I would have been had I not started this.

I drifted behind my targets.  The thought of graduating that 10k thread by December 2018 was fading, fast.  We got to April and BANG, everything changed.  My S/O received a job offer paying good money, the hard work I'd put in at work paid off and I got a pay rise + a new pension contribution scheme.  My first thought was to get to 3 months worth of living expenses saved.  I'd done that by June. 

This past year my N/W has increased by £9,483.  I have £0 owed on credit cards.  My pension is 6 times the size it was this time last year.  I've started a side hustle that's generated over £1k already.  If SHTF today, I'd have over 6 months worth of money to live on. 

I can't stress how different I feel today compared to last September.  I truly know that driving a nice car and wearing nice clothes offers no form of happiness.  It offers an ego boost that only the insecure rely on.  I know most of the people reading this will look at my £8k N/W and laugh, some of you have probably earnt that in the last week alone, but that £8k was unimaginable a year ago.  The support and focus I've received from this forum has been fundamental to reaching that.  I can assure you all that I WILL hit £10k by December.  From there, who knows. 

That financial worry in September 2017 was worth every penny.  It's led me here and from here I've learnt that I can buy happiness, just not in the same way that most people think. 

Thank you so much.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1806 on: September 21, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »
What an awesome turnaround!!!

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1807 on: September 21, 2018, 07:44:23 AM »
Manchester, your journey is awesome!! As a fellow poster in the net worth to 10k thread, I can attest to how encouraging that thread is, including watching you consistently keep at it.

Way to take the time and to have the perspective to celebrate the 180 degree turnaround. December graduation is right around the corner :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1808 on: September 21, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »
Just awesome @Manchester!  Your grit is paying off.  And you have the best NW graph of anyone on the forum.  :)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1809 on: September 22, 2018, 10:26:12 AM »
Thanks for posting that @Manchester. That turnaround is really something to celebrate. Looking forward to seeing you hit that 100k mark next!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1810 on: September 22, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
~$5,000 cap gain + dividend posted in investment account. seems like real money!

This is great @jengod!  Congrats on the nice batch of real money that your little green workers churned out!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1811 on: September 22, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »

This is great @jengod!  Congrats on the nice batch of real money that your little green workers churned out!

They're good little guys LOL!

BeautifulDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1812 on: September 23, 2018, 07:54:44 AM »
That financial worry in September 2017 was worth every penny.  It's led me here and from here I've learnt that I can buy happiness, just not in the same way that most people think. 

Thanks for sharing your story. And congratulations on all the progress. I’m still working on the EF savings and I’m impressed with how quickly you got that in place.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1813 on: October 02, 2018, 09:15:46 AM »
I FINALLY HAVE ENOUGH POSTS FOR MUSTACHE BRISTLES!!!

In less exciting news, we were able to make the largest student loan payment-to-date to the tune of almost $5k. And DH just got a raise and bonus that pull our projected payoff date up by 1-2 months next year, pending how a few other things shake out. Pretty exciting stuff :)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1814 on: October 02, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
I FINALLY HAVE ENOUGH POSTS FOR MUSTACHE BRISTLES!!!

In less exciting news, we were able to make the largest student loan payment-to-date to the tune of almost $5k. And DH just got a raise and bonus that pull our projected payoff date up by 1-2 months next year, pending how a few other things shake out. Pretty exciting stuff :)

Congrats.  You've got a little snowball rolling, and it just gets bigger from there. 

IsThisAGoodUsername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1815 on: October 02, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
I received a job offer today:
  • $3,000 sign on bonus
  • +10% pay bump over current job
  • I hate my current position. I'm very excited about the new job/new company

I'm sitting here grinning all day, knowing I'm about to leave this blackhole. I'm going to sign and send in my formal acceptance tonight.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1816 on: October 02, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
I received a job offer today:
  • $3,000 sign on bonus
  • +10% pay bump over current job
  • I hate my current position. I'm very excited about the new job/new company

I'm sitting here grinning all day, knowing I'm about to leave this blackhole. I'm going to sign and send in my formal acceptance tonight.

AWESOME!!  Very happy for you!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1817 on: October 02, 2018, 02:40:10 PM »
I got to be a teacher's assistant for a workshop at a major arts & crafts school for a week.  Not only did I have a great time, I learned a bunch too.

I've made more enameled pieces in the last month than I've made in the last 7 years.   Close to a hundred are done already and another 135 are 2/3rds done.   They are all simple color samples, but they still completed pieces.    Doing all this practice is dramatically improving my technical skill level.   I'm really excited!

Kay-Ell

• Stubble
  • Semi-retired in 2017
« Reply #1818 on: October 03, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
I officially adopted my daughter!  She's 4 years old, and has been living with me through foster care for the past 18 months.  Now we are an official, legal, and permanent family! 

IsThisAGoodUsername

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1819 on: October 03, 2018, 01:06:11 PM »
I officially adopted my daughter!  She's 4 years old, and has been living with me through foster care for the past 18 months.  Now we are an official, legal, and permanent family!

Congrats!

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1820 on: October 03, 2018, 01:25:21 PM »
I started renting a room in my townhome.
Was not very optimistic thinking if people would really want to rent in that area. But did put an ad though.
Ten days after, got my first tenant/roommate. He seems to be a good & genuine person. Renting that room for $500 and utilities.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1821 on: October 03, 2018, 02:40:37 PM »
Wow. That is just really fantastic. :)

Pencil_Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1822 on: October 03, 2018, 02:46:06 PM »
My boyfriend is coming around!  He's terrible with money, but said he "felt bad for buying Subway because I didn't pack a lunch."

While before he thought I was crazy and it was too far from the norm to work, now he's starting to see the possibilities! ^_^

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1823 on: October 03, 2018, 02:53:47 PM »
My boyfriend is coming around!  He's terrible with money, but said he "felt bad for buying Subway because I didn't pack a lunch."

While before he thought I was crazy and it was too far from the norm to work, now he's starting to see the possibilities! ^_^

Excellent!!  :)

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1824 on: October 03, 2018, 03:27:44 PM »

Agreed!!! That’s awesome.

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #1825 on: October 03, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »

Agreed!!! That’s awesome.

Awesome! Now just wait and see if he ends up more gurgle than you. 😀

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1826 on: October 14, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
After setting some ambitious savings and NW goals this year, I was lucky enough to find a second job that worked well with my skillset/hours etc. I'm pretty tired at times but loving the chance to stash away cash and inch that freedom date closer!

I've saved every dollar I've made from my second job, to build a decent emergency fund. This week I passed the $5000 mark! My plan is to get it to $10k (hopefully by the end of the year). If I'm lucky the job will continue into 2019+, and i can use future earnings to boost my investments by $10k+ a year!

apkanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1827 on: October 23, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Earlier this year I decided to apply to a new Project at work, I got the job, and even though it is a lateral move, i received a 10.7% raise. That is the highest i have ever gotten, and it puts me just under my salary goal i wanted to reach by 30, i am 27. Also, the salary put me at my Megacorps reported 'Med' salary for my job type, this is the first time that has happened, which melted away my feelings of being underpaid for the same work.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1828 on: October 23, 2018, 03:35:37 PM »
Earlier this year I decided to apply to a new Project at work, I got the job, and even though it is a lateral move, i received a 10.7% raise. That is the highest i have ever gotten, and it puts me just under my salary goal i wanted to reach by 30, i am 27. Also, the salary put me at my Megacorps reported 'Med' salary for my job type, this is the first time that has happened, which melted away my feelings of being underpaid for the same work.

Nice.  It's an even bigger percentage jump in your savings rate (assuming you don't change your spending). 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1829 on: November 01, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
On 6 months long service leave half pay. And maybe I won't have to go back.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1830 on: November 01, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »
Got my biopsy back from lymph nodes this week. No cancer! 6 weeks off paid disability leave to recover and 2 extra months FMLA for good measure. For all the ladies out there - schedule those mammograms, and don’t skimp there. Cancer treatments are expensive without insurance. My bill so far is $157, for one out of network nurse. That’s worth its own celebration!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1831 on: November 02, 2018, 05:20:18 AM »
So so so happy for you!!!

I am doing annual mammograms.  :)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1832 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:11 AM »
Got my biopsy back from lymph nodes this week. No cancer! 6 weeks off paid disability leave to recover and 2 extra months FMLA for good measure. For all the ladies out there - schedule those mammograms, and don’t skimp there. Cancer treatments are expensive without insurance. My bill so far is $157, for one out of network nurse. That’s worth its own celebration!!

Congrats. That is great news! I'd add in (for ladies and gents) to also get derm exams for melanoma. I picked up a few new surgery scars for lymph nodes and removals this year for that one. Catch it early!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1833 on: November 06, 2018, 05:29:08 PM »
Rental #3, which I spent the summer renovating, is now rented out.  Hurray!

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1834 on: November 08, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
I just placed my first ever trade to purchase an ETF for my RRSP account!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1835 on: November 08, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »

With any luck the first of many. 

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #1836 on: November 08, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

With any luck the first of many.

It will be.  We are pulling all $$ out of current high mer mutual funds and going to look after on our own.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1837 on: November 08, 2018, 04:36:07 PM »
Rental #3, which I spent the summer renovating, is now rented out.  Hurray!

Congrats @SwordGuy -- this is great!  You and @sammybiker are my heroes.  I'm a groupie and wanna-be landlord.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #1838 on: November 13, 2018, 04:59:26 AM »
Just wrapped up my second year biking to work:
Biked  Miles   Drove  Percent Biked
Year 1: 18729405178.57
Year 2:21134462888.28
Total:39863867983.44

The bad is I've had several stressful and threatening encounters with drivers (and a police officer) that I've lost sleep over and made me subconsciously view all drivers as potential enemies (good for my safety but bad for my mental health).

The good is I'm in great shape, I've saved about ~200 gallons of gasoline from entering the atmosphere, I've gone from afraid to replace a chain to a competent bike mechanic and I've discovered a new hobby and am part of the local riding club.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1839 on: November 13, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »
Just wrapped up my second year biking to work:
Biked  Miles   Drove  Percent Biked
Year 1: 18729405178.57
Year 2:21134462888.28
Total:39863867983.44

The bad is I've had several stressful and threatening encounters with drivers (and a police officer) that I've lost sleep over and made me subconsciously view all drivers as potential enemies (good for my safety but bad for my mental health).

The good is I'm in great shape, I've saved about ~200 gallons of gasoline from entering the atmosphere, I've gone from afraid to replace a chain to a competent bike mechanic and I've discovered a new hobby and am part of the local riding club.

Awesome.  I used to bike a lot when I worked closer to home, but I'm a bit further now on not-so-bike-friendly roads.  I've biked a few times when I had to work on a Saturday, but it's a significant effort.  Biking that far also aggravates an illness.  FIRE should reduce my driving quite a bit.  Most of the rest of my life is within a much more bikable circle. 

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #1840 on: November 17, 2018, 01:45:25 AM »
Hospital financial aid paid all of my bill after insurance! It was a little over $3000 from an ER visit.

I spent about 2 hours collection documents and talking to people. Turns out, my annual salary was just under the limit to qualify (good and bad). It didn't even matter that my HSA had enough money to fully cover the bill. I was originally just trying to get it reduced, as I thought it was a little excessive.  There were a few separate bills for the ER doc and imaging consultant, but they were both about $20, so I just paid it.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1841 on: December 07, 2018, 03:23:58 AM »
Today marks my three year anniversary since I was diagnosed with cancer!  Still feeling great and no evidence of disease -- NED, as they say. 

Cheers [raises cup of coffee] to all you other fighters out there, and your supporting family members. I would not have gotten here in one piece if it weren't for my husband, the best man in the world.   

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1842 on: December 07, 2018, 06:42:51 AM »
Congratulations @Trifele ! Having spent 1/2 of 2018 in my own battle I look forward to future  celebrations too!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1843 on: December 07, 2018, 08:09:27 AM »
Congratulations @Trifele ! Having spent 1/2 of 2018 in my own battle I look forward to future  celebrations too!

Thank you @couponvan!  All the best to you in your journey.  :)

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1844 on: December 07, 2018, 08:47:23 AM »
Congratulations, @Trifele !! That's a wonderful thing to celebrate.

And @couponvan , I hope the journey continues positively for you as well.

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #1845 on: December 07, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »
@couponvan @Trifele Tremendous!

KathrinS

• Bristles
    • A Chat with Kat
« Reply #1846 on: December 10, 2018, 01:35:33 PM »
Wow, congratulations to everyone on the recent successes!

I've had quite a few recently:
- Received a £2 raise today at the main place I work at (I'm a freelance instructor, but get paid by the studio). This will make an estimated difference of £130-170 every month!
- Received my first dividends in November. So exciting!
- I opened a 'high interest' easy access savings to keep self employed taxes, a small emergency deposit, and any uninvested money in. Just got the first month of interest, and it's enough to pay my entire phone bill! Of course it will all be re-invested, but I just found it really cool that my taxes can pay for my phone bill.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1847 on: December 11, 2018, 03:31:17 AM »
Congrats @KathrinS!  Those are some nice wins.  I love seeing dividends paid too -- it's when my little green workers get their paychecks.  So exciting to see that number grow over time.   

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1848 on: December 21, 2018, 07:33:39 AM »
It's Vanguard dividend day.  Woohoo!

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #1849 on: December 24, 2018, 10:07:54 AM »
It's Vanguard dividend day.  Woohoo!

Woohoo! Always a good day!