Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648248 times)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1750 on: June 09, 2018, 07:53:00 AM »
Just changed my 401k contribution rate from 6% (match level) to 22%, effective in July.  (I finished paying off my higher-interest student loans and am redirecting that money.)

Won't max it out for 2018, but 22% is the contribution rate that should max it out for 2019!

My goal is to also finish my last $4200 of student loans and open and max my first Roth IRA by the end of 2018.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1751 on: June 09, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »
Just changed my 401k contribution rate from 6% (match level) to 22%, effective in July.  (I finished paying off my higher-interest student loans and am redirecting that money.)

Won't max it out for 2018, but 22% is the contribution rate that should max it out for 2019!

My goal is to also finish my last $4200 of student loans and open and max my first Roth IRA by the end of 2018.

Excellent all around!!  :)

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1752 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:08 AM »
My 401k is 49.5% of my portfolio.  I have always maxed it out (well except one year early on when I thought match counted as part of the max) and had a 5% match.  But now I have saved/have compounded investments that are large outside of it.

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1753 on: June 15, 2018, 04:36:35 AM »
The markets may take away on Monday what they brought today, but for now:
I’m less than 100k away from my barebones FI number!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:40:33 AM by chasingthegoodlife »

BadassEm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1754 on: July 15, 2018, 03:21:36 PM »
Super congratulations, then!

@Sibley -- what areas do you recommend in NW Indiana that are close to the Metra train?  I'm getting ready to relocate from the Houston area to Chicago and not excited about losing 5% of my income due to state income tax. 

Also, what percent of your income goes to state income taxes?  How are you liking Indiana??  Is there enough locally to do?   Thanks in advance for your income and advice!

BadassEm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1755 on: July 15, 2018, 03:23:29 PM »
*insight haha, you can see I have income tax concerns!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1756 on: July 15, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »
LOL, it's ok. I'll PM you.

On topic: I climbed the ladder, twice, to the 2nd story so I could lift the screen on the gutters and allow the bird to escape. I also got down without calling the fire department to come get me. This is worthy of celebration in my view.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #1757 on: July 17, 2018, 08:34:50 AM »
Month of July has involved:
- Me taking a small side-project for an extra 500$
- Selling our condo to my father-in-law (we bought land a while back that we're going to build our house on). We'll rent from him until we move (so we start saving an extra 600$-ish a month that we weren't before).
- Partner is working for a month up North (like, past the Arctic Circle type North) for buttloads of money.
- Will be putting 16,000$ aside just in the next 4 weeks.

It's all going to the house-build, as the tax-advantaged investment accounts are already maxed out for the year.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1758 on: July 22, 2018, 07:07:06 AM »
We hit a positive net worth for the first time ever! Woohoo! So appreciative and grateful that we are able to save maxes toward retirement and pay down debt at the same time. Need to type that out more since it is so easy to lose perspective and forget how truly lucky we are and how different things were just one year ago.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1759 on: July 22, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
We hit a positive net worth for the first time ever! Woohoo! So appreciative and grateful that we are able to save maxes toward retirement and pay down debt at the same time. Need to type that out more since it is so easy to lose perspective and forget how truly lucky we are and how different things were just one year ago.

Congrats!  Upward and onward from here!!  :)

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #1760 on: July 23, 2018, 01:15:25 PM »
I've discovered the magic of Kijiji (I guess the Canadian version of Craigslist?)!

It's kinda dangerous I think.

I've sold an old table, a couch and two chairs. I've also bought a couch and six new chairs (to replace the hard wooden ones my mom complained about). But I've made a total of $40 after all the money's changed hands! Plus I've arranged to sell two of my old chairs for another $40! I also picked up a free nightstand to replace the one I have that's falling apart, as a bonus it was literally two minutes away from where I picked up my chairs, ha ha!

I also found a free couch that's the same IKEA model as the one I bought, so I'm picking it up tonight and I'll flip whichever one is worse for wear. I also arranged to pick up 4 more chairs - one is too trashed for me to use - and plan to try to sell those off for $5-10 a piece. It's so cool. And I feel like I've found a side hustle that I actually enjoy - I can control how long I spend picking up furniture and I get some practice in negotiating. I was considering getting a part-time job, but the feeling of freedom and control over my own time and hours that this promises is a really nice feeling in and of itself.

On a big plus side, it's inspiring me to get rid of excess stuff in my house.
I have an old XBox 360 I no longer use (PC Masterrace!) and a ton of games and an old ottoman. I'm thinking once I have all my current stuff sold off, I may try to spend about 2-3 hours a week just looking for free things to flip for a few dollars. If it turns out viable, I may see if I can cover some of my miscellaneous expenses so it frees up some extra cash to save (I'm thinking my coffees with my dad and maybe some dining out).

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1761 on: July 24, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
DH just got a 15% raise for a promotion!  Yay!  He's super excited that he is in a "senior" position now.  He works hard, and it's well deserved.  We just found out we're having a second kid next year (totally planned), so it's going to be a nice cushion of savings toward our ridiculous daycare fees :) 

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1762 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:07 AM »
DH just got a 15% raise for a promotion!  Yay!  He's super excited that he is in a "senior" position now.  He works hard, and it's well deserved.  We just found out we're having a second kid next year (totally planned), so it's going to be a nice cushion of savings toward our ridiculous daycare fees :)

Congrats all around!

Counting_Down

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1763 on: July 25, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
We hit FI today! 3 mos ahead of schedule - DH's 30th.  Not done yet though, as we have a few escalating goals.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1764 on: July 25, 2018, 02:27:25 PM »
Congratulations!!

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1765 on: August 03, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »
We hit FI today! 3 mos ahead of schedule - DH's 30th.  Not done yet though, as we have a few escalating goals.
Congratulations, and well deserved!
Just out of curiosity: what is DH's 30th?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1766 on: August 04, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
Closed on our 4th rental property this week!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:04:00 AM by SwordGuy »

Counting_Down

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1767 on: August 06, 2018, 08:22:16 AM »
Congratulations, and well deserved!
Just out of curiosity: what is DH's 30th?
Thanks! Partner's 30th birthday.  'DH' is used around here as shorthand for "dear husband".

Congratulations!!
Thanks!

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1768 on: August 12, 2018, 05:19:13 AM »
Fellow seakers of FI. I won big time.

My Ph.D. studies are not even finished, but I landed THE job starting October this year. The studies are supposed to end regularly end of September.

I will make $80k gross instead of $42k gross. First year.
Job is SO close to home. It is a mere 6 miles. 5min walking distance home to train station, 9min train ride, 5min walking distance to work place. Instead of 1 hour commute of 40 miles one way. My car will live so much longer now!

I am the first to be hired for a new team that does autonomous driving development for a big OEM. Possibly leading the team in the future.
The first 3 months, I will only do a 4 days work week at 80% pay to finish writing my thesis.

The place is better in every aspect. Positive people working there.

I am so happy right now.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1769 on: August 12, 2018, 09:12:03 AM »

My Ph.D. studies are not even finished, but I landed THE job starting October this year. The studies are supposed to end regularly end of September.

Job is SO close to home. It is a mere 6 miles. 5min walking distance home to train station, 9min train ride, 5min walking distance to work place. Instead of 1 hour commute of 40 miles one way. My car will live so much longer now!

I am the first to be hired for a new team that does autonomous driving development for a big OEM. Possibly leading the team in the future.
The first 3 months, I will only do a 4 days work week at 80% pay to finish writing my thesis.

I am so happy right now.

Congratulations Bob!!  Absolutely fantastic.  Just reading your post made my day!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1770 on: August 12, 2018, 02:41:32 PM »
Closing date for our first flip house is tentatively scheduled for Sept 5th.  :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1771 on: August 12, 2018, 07:41:06 PM »
I'm glad I rediscovered this thread. Congrats to everyone's recent accomplishments and milestones!

I negotiated an excellent compensation package from a different employer and will be taking a leap into a new job in the coming weeks.

If it wasn't for the courage derived from having FU $ , I'm not sure I would have been as aggressive in my approach to the job and negotiations.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1772 on: August 13, 2018, 03:06:45 AM »
I'm glad I rediscovered this thread. Congrats to everyone's recent accomplishments and milestones!

I negotiated an excellent compensation package from a different employer and will be taking a leap into a new job in the coming weeks.

If it wasn't for the courage derived from having FU $ , I'm not sure I would have been as aggressive in my approach to the job and negotiations.

Congratulations @2Birds1Stone !  Sounds like you are definitely pulling out of 2019 then?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1773 on: August 13, 2018, 06:20:15 AM »
@Trifele, eh.....Not necessarily, I know myself and it's still a very good chance I don't last much more than a year.

I'm struggling on what exactly is "enough". Will I continue to want to accumulate after my WR covers my current lifestyle? I could get there in 12-16 months if things go really well.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1774 on: August 13, 2018, 06:27:55 AM »
@Trifele, eh.....Not necessarily, I know myself and it's still a very good chance I don't last much more than a year.

I'm struggling on what exactly is "enough". Will I continue to want to accumulate after my WR covers my current lifestyle? I could get there in 12-16 months if things go really well.

Awesome.  Sounds like you have some nice options!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1775 on: August 13, 2018, 06:54:34 PM »
Closing date for our first flip house is tentatively scheduled for Sept 5th.  :)

Contract is now signed.  :)  Woot!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1776 on: August 14, 2018, 04:20:27 AM »

Contract is now signed.  :)  Woot!

Congrats @SwordGuy

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1777 on: August 14, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »

I am so happy right now.

Congratulations Bob!!  Absolutely fantastic.  Just reading your post made my day!

And your enthusiasm made mine, one more time. This is a great community, you all helped me pulling trough the last years with little free cash flow to spare over the (student) debt repayments.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1778 on: August 15, 2018, 04:27:22 PM »
Signed contract in hand with a closing date of Sept 6th to buy Rental #5.

Or, possibly Flip #2.  Still running the numbers on the flip to see if it's a better option than the good option of renting it.

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1779 on: August 17, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Love seeing everyone celebrating accomplishments large and small in this thread! Congrats on the wins, everyone!

Yesterday, I completed my first ever woodworking project! It's a basic storage box, it's not pretty and IT'S ALL MINE!! It's the start to what I hope to be a future of making many more functional items.

JCGreen

• Stubble
« Reply #1780 on: August 19, 2018, 05:50:04 PM »
WOW! These are so impressive! Mine is not as impressive but I am still proud.

I have saved my first $20k for retirement! And I have no debt!

I started out two years ago 18K in the hole. In the two years I have been working, I made about 75K total.  I have close to a 45% savings rate. This from the power of saving automation. Now I just need to starve off life style inflation.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1781 on: August 19, 2018, 06:10:56 PM »

I started out two years ago 18K in the hole. In the two years I have been working, I made about 75K total.  I have close to a 45% savings rate. This from the power of saving automation. Now I just need to starve off life style inflation.

Actually, this is MORE impressive than what most of us have recently accomplished.

Why do I say that?

Because it's not easy to totally change your lifestyle, mindset, and learn all that you need to do in order to turn things around.   Plus, you've got compound interest working AGAINST you not for you.

Most of us have been there, we know what you've done is the hardest step.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1782 on: August 20, 2018, 03:14:19 AM »

Actually, this is MORE impressive than what most of us have recently accomplished.

Why do I say that?

Because it's not easy to totally change your lifestyle, mindset, and learn all that you need to do in order to turn things around.   Plus, you've got compound interest working AGAINST you not for you.

+1.  The hardest part is behind you.  Great job @JCGreen!  Keep up the great work.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1783 on: August 21, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »

Why do I say that?

+1.  The hardest part is behind you.  Great job @JCGreen!  Keep up the great work.
Agreed, it will really only get easier.  getting to the positive side is the hardest part.  Congrats!

BobTheBuilder

• Stubble
« Reply #1784 on: August 22, 2018, 06:15:28 AM »

Congrats! 38k in 2 years is something to be proud of. Carry on :-)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1785 on: August 22, 2018, 06:59:12 AM »
We bought a car last weekend! (a 2013 Chevy Volt for $10.5k)

In cash.

Without drawing from savings.

That's right: somehow our ridiculously privileged lives have gotten to the point where we can cash flow a car.

Now, this only worked because it's a 3-paycheck month for both of us, but still. I thought that was worth celebrating/having a "holy sh*t" moment about.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1786 on: August 22, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »

In cash.

That's right: somehow our ridiculously privileged lives have gotten to the point where we can cash flow a car.

Now, this only worked because it's a 3-paycheck month for both of us, but still. I thought that was worth celebrating/having a "holy sh*t" moment about.

Awesome.  :)   

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1787 on: August 22, 2018, 02:50:31 PM »

In cash.

Bravo!!!!

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #1788 on: August 23, 2018, 11:29:42 AM »
I recently asked for and received a 25% raise from one of my main clients (I'm a freelance writer). From $60 to $75 an hour! I will be negotiating with other clients as well, targeting 15-35% increases (each client has a somewhat different rate structure).

sanderh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1789 on: August 30, 2018, 10:55:43 PM »
Congratulations, FreelanceToFreedom! Here's to many more raises to come!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1790 on: September 04, 2018, 10:49:14 AM »
I recently asked for and received a 25% raise from one of my main clients (I'm a freelance writer). From $60 to $75 an hour! I will be negotiating with other clients as well, targeting 15-35% increases (each client has a somewhat different rate structure).

Sorry for being a little late, but congrats.  I got a small raise recently, too, and it's great, isn't it?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1791 on: September 06, 2018, 05:06:43 AM »
Big week for me - between a 3-paycheck August and my annual profit-sharing check and bonus check, I:

- hit $50k net worth
- paid off my last student loan!!!!!!!
- am opening my first Roth IRA this weekend

zeli2033

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1792 on: September 06, 2018, 06:49:19 AM »
Congratulations, SquashingDebt! Nice job!!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1793 on: September 06, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »
I now have 3 different properties providing rental home income.  :)
Expect to have 4 within 1 to 3 months.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #1794 on: September 06, 2018, 09:05:34 PM »
Big week for me - between a 3-paycheck August and my annual profit-sharing check and bonus check, I:

- hit $50k net worth

Why Roth?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #1795 on: September 07, 2018, 06:17:26 AM »

- hit $50k net worth

Why Roth?

I make too much money to fully (or at all?) deduct traditional IRA contributions.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1796 on: September 07, 2018, 07:25:01 AM »
Mini celebration;  Student loans gone!
I had been holding on to them because they were subsidized during my PhD and then the rates were so low (sub 2%) until the Fed started raising rates. 
BUt they just broached 4% and by all accounts are heading higher so I sold some shares that I had put aside for that purpose and nixed them.

Honestly I'm of mixed feelings on this - sad to see my investment account drop by $17k but nice to have that monthly payment eliminated.  It probably would have been smarter to keep them for another 9 months but the cash was there and now its done and there's no reason to look back.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1797 on: September 07, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
Solar panels were installed on the house yesterday!

I am so so so happy.  The county did a "group buy" deal, so while we didn't DIY, we got a discount on the panels and an industrial rate on the install.  I am so glad my frugalness has allowed me to splurge on something like this. The people doing the program said we were one of the few people who didn't also do the paperwork for a loan.  My neighbors (all with so many fancy things that it is tough to not want to keep up with the Jones's) all declined to join the program because those who looked into it said it was "way too expensive".  We have a 5 year payback period on it.  For things that I can spend my money on, clean energy seems like a great one!

The treehugger in me just can't stop smiling.
The spendy-pants in me is thinking "hmmm...now I could get the Leaf..."  (But that's not going to happen...)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1798 on: September 07, 2018, 07:25:52 AM »
Mini celebration;  Student loans gone!
I had been holding on to them because they were subsidized during my PhD and then the rates were so low (sub 2%) until the Fed started raising rates. 
BUt they just broached 4% and by all accounts are heading higher so I sold some shares that I had put aside for that purpose and nixed them.

Honestly I'm of mixed feelings on this - sad to see my investment account drop by $17k but nice to have that monthly payment eliminated.  It probably would have been smarter to keep them for another 9 months but the cash was there and now its done and there's no reason to look back.

Congrats!!!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1799 on: September 07, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »
Solar panels were installed on the house yesterday!
Awesome. 
We are stuck renting for the foreseeable future, so we haven't been able to install solar like we'd really like.  Pity, because right now the incentives in my state are pretty favorable, but set to expire.
Glad you are doing it!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!