Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648309 times)

dougules

• Magnum Stache
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #1650 on: December 04, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
We were directly affected by Hurricane Harvey.  Since that time I (we) have been working with contractors, insurance inspectors, adjusters, agents, FEMA, TWIA, remote document reviewers, etc. trying to get enough money to cover our losses (minus deductibles, of course).  Finally, yesterday's visit to TWIA (insurance) and subsequent call to the remote document reviewer resulted in a 20% increase in the amount they originally authorized.  Win!

That sounds like a nice pick-me-up after a hard time. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1651 on: December 07, 2017, 04:37:36 AM »
It's been an excellent year!  Lots to celebrate:

1) We recently passed over the $1M mark for NW, and are now chugging for $1M in investments. Planning t FIRE in August of 2019 if all continues according to plan. 

2) Today is 2 years in remission from my cancer.  Happy cancer-versary to me.  :)  Feeling very well and living each day with gratitude.   

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1652 on: December 07, 2017, 06:01:30 AM »
Excellent news!  Congrats on the finances and that's wonderful about the cancer-versary!!  :)

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1653 on: December 09, 2017, 07:58:16 PM »
Fidelity account has shown almost $6000 of dividends and long-term capital gains in the past 10 days. All will be reinvested and remain so for 20+ years (we are 40 and these are retirement accounts).

It's just nice to see the snowball power of long-term investing and whatnot!

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1654 on: December 11, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
We joined the double comma club today! Our house is worth ~$220k with ~75k left on the loan, so we're feeling good about those too! I think our FIRE number is somewhere between, well, $1M and $1.4M, depending on where we live, but we're thinking about part timing it soon to ease into it. Exciting!

Well, thanks to Mr. Market and our 69% savings rate, we're now at over $1M invested + our house + our stuff! Man, it's going to be a transition moving to spending instead of saving. Plan is still to switch to part time at some point...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1655 on: December 12, 2017, 08:07:43 AM »
We joined the double comma club today! Our house is worth ~$220k with ~75k left on the loan, so we're feeling good about those too! I think our FIRE number is somewhere between, well, $1M and $1.4M, depending on where we live, but we're thinking about part timing it soon to ease into it. Exciting!

Well, thanks to Mr. Market and our 69% savings rate, we're now at over $1M invested + our house + our stuff! Man, it's going to be a transition moving to spending instead of saving. Plan is still to switch to part time at some point...

I support the phased plan. Give yourself time to adjust. :)
Three more days till I never work a full-time job again unless I'm bored enough to go looking for one. Holy shit. Thanks MMM and community.

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #1656 on: December 12, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
Three more days till I never work a full-time job again unless I'm bored enough to go looking for one. Holy shit. Thanks MMM and community.

Congratulations Zephyr - that is super exciting!

Quote from: FirePaddle on December 11, 2017, 05:52:58 PM
Quote from: FirePaddle on January 25, 2017, 04:34:46 PM

I like the phased idea too.  I work in manufacturing, so that is an unlikely option for me in my current position, but I'm hopeful that by the time I ready to go, either our business has shrunk enough to support that, or I find another part time opportunity.

FirePaddle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1657 on: December 12, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »

Congratulations Zephyr - that is super exciting!

Quote from: FirePaddle on December 11, 2017, 05:52:58 PM
Quote from: FirePaddle on January 25, 2017, 04:34:46 PM

I like the phased idea too.  I work in manufacturing, so that is an unlikely option for me in my current position, but I'm hopeful that by the time I ready to go, either our business has shrunk enough to support that, or I find another part time opportunity.

Yes, congrats Zephyr! That's super exciting!

Yea, to go to part time, I'll need to switch from a manager type position to something else, and I'm not exactly sure how that will work. I still have some technical skills, but nothing close to those I manage now. I might be able to still do the job I do now, but only for 3 days a week. I'd need to be much more efficient though. I do fantasize for those 4 day weekends, or not working more than working. The golden handcuffs are being felt though, but I'm at least aware they are there. I'll likely work until we get some amount of a buffer beyond 25x expenses. DW likes her job more than I do, so she'll likely work longer than me.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1658 on: December 13, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »
Goodbye Roy Moore!....:)

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1659 on: December 13, 2017, 10:27:17 AM »
I set up investments in my HSA yesterday and invested in several Vanguard index funds! That's $1000 more dollars to grow into many little dollar-ettes for me....

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1660 on: December 13, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »
Goodbye Roy Moore!....:)

Yay! Our state actually pulled off common decency for once.   

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1661 on: December 13, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
We we're going to, then we weren't going to, and now we have: we just polished off the student loans!

This also means that we are completely debt free, so rising interest rates will be in our favor, as long as the economy stays relatively strong.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1662 on: December 15, 2017, 04:15:08 AM »
Congratulations of being debt free ixtap!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: December 15, 2017, 08:43:48 PM »
I made my FI number today!  91 days before my planned RE.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1664 on: December 15, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »

Congratulations!!! When is RE? Or are you on the OMY path?

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1665 on: December 15, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »

Thanks!  No OMY for me. RE is mid-March.  I've been planning for that for 2 years, with no idea if I'd actually make FI by then.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1666 on: December 15, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »

Thanks!  No OMY for me. RE is mid-March.  I've been planning for that for 2 years, with no idea if I'd actually make FI by then.

Congratulations Cherry Lane! Now it's all smooth sailing until March 2018. It must feel nice!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1667 on: December 16, 2017, 05:44:06 AM »

Congratulations Cherry Lane! Now it's all smooth sailing until March 2018. It must feel nice!

Woohoo! Congratulations! 

chasingthegoodlife

• Bristles
« Reply #1668 on: December 17, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
So happy for you Cherry Lane! How exciting!!

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #1669 on: December 20, 2017, 12:50:45 PM »
I just opened and funded (with $3k) my first non-tax sheltered Vanguard account.

Once the transfer goes through I'll also have broken through $140k.  Woot!

Good stuff! That means that perhaps you have maxed out your tax sheltered accounts? Pretty damn inspiring!

Thank you! Yes! For the first time ever I'm saving more than my tax-sheltered max!  Feels awesome.

Also, happened to check Vanguard yesterday and I'm over $150k total.  I broke $100k on 1/16/17 which means that in less than a year I've saved more than 50% of what I started the year with, hooray.  I know that probably won't ever really happen again, but it still makes me happy to think about.

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1670 on: December 20, 2017, 03:47:36 PM »
Just hit the $1 million value on investments and retirement accounts for the first time this week (well over 25x annual spending.)  No debt. 

We own our home ($800k value, paid $195k in 1993.  This is in a very high cost of housing part of the country and is no McMansion by any means)

Plan is for retiring in June 2019.  Lot's can happen between now and then but now at least don't feel hostage to working, which by itself is pretty nice.  We discovered MMM late in the game but found we were had already adopted a lot of the principles.  I steer people to this web site all the time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 10:17:21 AM by Odiedog859 »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1671 on: December 20, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »
AWESOME!!!  CONGRATS!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1672 on: December 22, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »
Way to go Odiedog859!! That's a great accomplishment (as is the 25X being under $40K).  Not having a house payment probably makes a big difference in the annual outlay costs. 

ronsbusa3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1673 on: December 28, 2017, 02:31:55 PM »
Congratulations everyone! I just hit a milestone of my own:

Just finished my first year bike commuting. I biked 187/238 working days ( ~78.5%) for 2940 miles! That's almost a cross country bike trip.
That’s amazing. I hit 55 Days riding  my bike to work (ebike) I started in July. I hope to hit 100 Days next year. Keep it up...

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #1674 on: January 10, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »
I ran our numbers and with the recent market gains and aggressive savings in 2017 we joined the double comma club, by about $3k.

That includes our home equity so the next goal is $1M liquid, only $393k to go. I suspect there will be a market correction before we get there, so I'd guess sometime in 2022.

-X
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 10:03:22 AM by thedigitalone »

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1675 on: January 11, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
The wife and I hit 100K in investments december 30th goal was to hit it before 2018 I was very happy! Now lets see what this compounding is all about haha

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1676 on: January 13, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
Just crossed the 600k mark in investments (not house).  yay!!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1677 on: January 13, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »
Got the paperwork from my previous company re the pension plan. I had completely written this off because I had no idea what the rules were. I'm able to transfer the money out (rollover to IRA). So, basically, free money! Paperwork is done, just need to send it in and wait for processing.

And, I remembered I have a tub of coolwhip in the fridge. I'm eating cool whip :)

simonkkkkk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1678 on: January 14, 2018, 08:07:08 AM »
Got the paperwork from my previous company re the pension plan. I had completely written this off because I had no idea what the rules were. I'm able to transfer the money out (rollover to IRA). So, basically, free money! Paperwork is done, just need to send it in and wait for processing.

And, I remembered I have a tub of coolwhip in the fridge. I'm eating cool whip :)
Congrats!!!!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1679 on: January 14, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
The Zamboni family has eclipsed $1MM net worth. Whoo hoo! Less than 20% of that is home value.

Next goal is $1MM in market securities.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1680 on: January 14, 2018, 09:41:27 AM »
Awesome!!!  CONGRATULATIONS!  :D

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1681 on: January 14, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
Thank you!

I was not expecting this in January. The first half of this month in the market has been ridiculous.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1682 on: January 14, 2018, 11:29:53 PM »
I joined the double-comma club at close of trading today :)

Congrats ozbeach!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1683 on: January 15, 2018, 05:28:37 AM »
Awesome, ozbeach!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1684 on: January 15, 2018, 06:57:34 AM »
By selling a bunch of crap I didn't need I paid off CC#1 3 months ahead of schedule! CC#2 is in my sights now, already sent an extra $500 payment this month and planning to send another $500 with my next paycheck. I originally was aiming to have this balance paid off by September of this year but now I'm feeling invigorated and my new goal is to pay it off by the end of May. Time to find more crap to sell!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1685 on: January 15, 2018, 09:24:48 AM »
By selling a bunch of crap I didn't need I paid off CC#1 3 months ahead of schedule! CC#2 is in my sights now, already sent an extra $500 payment this month and planning to send another $500 with my next paycheck. I originally was aiming to have this balance paid off by September of this year but now I'm feeling invigorated and my new goal is to pay it off by the end of May. Time to find more crap to sell!
Congratulations!!! You can do this!!!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1686 on: January 15, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
The Van house crossed $1MM invested and $1.5MM net assets!! I'm sure we will be crossing and re crossing this milestone for awhile due to market conditions. Invested doesn't include cash on hand. We also have kid#1 starting college this year, so our $ will shift from saving for retirement to paying for college. We'd always said we wanted $1MM invested before college. I can't believe we actually made it! FIRE goal is $2.0MM and a paid off house. 4 years, 2 months, 2 weeks and 4 days to go....

jakegu3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1687 on: January 16, 2018, 02:59:31 PM »
Requested a large (percentage-wise) raise to try to bring my salary up to market value for my position and the work I do. 

I didn't want it to be about the new salary compared to what I have been making, but rather about the results I'm providing on large projects I'm working on, to see if the company values me at market value.  So I phrased it that way when asking and my boss and his boss are both going to bat for me to try to make it happen.

Got the confidence to ask by reading here on the forum, so thanks!

Sister C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1688 on: January 16, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
 Nicely done jakegu3! Sounds like you phrased your request in a smart way,  and that your bosses value your work.  Keep us posted!

Tuskalusa

• Bristles
« Reply #1689 on: January 16, 2018, 07:05:45 PM »
Just quit my job!  We ran the numbers and realized that one of us could FIRE!  Weird to think that I really don’t have to work again if I don’t want to. Gonna enjoy time with the family. Thanks to the MMM community for helping me get my priorities in order!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1690 on: January 16, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
Just quit my job!  We ran the numbers and realized that one of us could FIRE!  Weird to think that I really don’t have to work again if I don’t want to. Gonna enjoy time with the family. Thanks to the MMM community for helping me get my priorities in order!

Woo Hoo!!  Congratulations!!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1691 on: January 25, 2018, 11:34:02 PM »
Crossed $200,000 mark in Fidelity account. Nice to the odometer roll over after hanging in the 190s for a while.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1692 on: January 26, 2018, 11:38:49 AM »
Crossed $200,000 mark in Fidelity account. Nice to the odometer roll over after hanging in the 190s for a while.

Congrats! I am right there with you on crossing the 200K barrier.

Riff

• Stubble
« Reply #1693 on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
We just crossed $500k in our investments!  Took us a long time to get here, but the little green minions are doing the heavy lifting now.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1694 on: January 29, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
We just crossed $500k in our investments!  Took us a long time to get here, but the little green minions are doing the heavy lifting now.

Congrats.  You've got a lot of momentum up now. 

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1695 on: January 29, 2018, 12:15:20 PM »
Woo, I just got a completely unexpected promotion to a new position in my department!  It comes with almost a $10,000 raise, so I'm upping my 401k contributions :)  Still not maxing, but I'm getting closer.

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1696 on: January 30, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »
Woo, I just got a completely unexpected promotion to a new position in my department!  It comes with almost a $10,000 raise, so I'm upping my 401k contributions :)  Still not maxing, but I'm getting closer.

That is some excellent news! Congrats!

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1697 on: January 30, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
YES YES YES YES! For the first time EVER, I have set my 401k contribution level and HSA contribution level to max both plans for 2018!!

This is a huge step for me as a late bloomer in financial literacy. In terms of percentages I am now saving 23% of my gross pay not including the employer contributions to either account.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1698 on: January 30, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »

That is some excellent news! Congrats!

Thanks!  I'm up to about 14k/year contributed by myself, 20k with my employer match, and I'm SUPER excited :)

YES YES YES YES! For the first time EVER, I have set my 401k contribution level and HSA contribution level to max both plans for 2018!!

This is a huge step for me as a late bloomer in financial literacy. In terms of percentages I am now saving 23% of my gross pay not including the employer contributions to either account.

Yay, congratulations! 

newgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1699 on: January 31, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
Achieved a 30 day age of money today with YNAB :)

I know this is the subject of... differing opinions on this forum, but I like the metric and I'm pretty excited about it!