Author Topic: Celebrations Thread  (Read 1648167 times)

Scrooge McDuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Celebrations Thread
« Reply #350 on: October 08, 2013, 01:43:06 AM »
We hit $300K in networth this month!!

wow that's amazing. It must be easy now that you're getting the compounding growth off that each year.

RobertBirnie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: October 08, 2013, 10:10:58 AM »
So I'm super excited about this! I would start a real thread for it but since it actually happened last month I think I found these forums too late!

Last month I passed $0 net worth for the first time since high school! Yaaaay!!!! I've wanted to share that so much you have no idea. In the real world its pretty hard to share personal finances with others so I told my wife (who said "oh hum") and I told my sister, but thats the only ones I felt like i could share it with.

My wife and I have been clawing our way back from student debt. We still owe $40k but also have $40k in retirement accounts.

ajmers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #352 on: October 09, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »
Bought some new shoes for a wedding I am in on Saturday, and then returned them for ones that were $40 cheaper. Also got my dress for the wedding for $37.

I'm in 3 weddings in the next year and all three brides either chose or let us choose dresses for $40 or under that are appropriate for work or other occasions. I love friends who are considerate of their wedding party's budget!!

icefr

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: October 12, 2013, 03:58:52 PM »
All of my Vanguard accounts added up together now total over $100,000!! (That includes my 401(k), my Roth IRA, and my taxable account.) I was so excited about the milestone that I even took a screenshot!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: October 12, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »
All of my Vanguard accounts added up together now total over $100,000!! (That includes my 401(k), my Roth IRA, and my taxable account.) I was so excited about the milestone that I even took a screenshot!

Nice!

My next financial goal is $100k net worth, including my cash savings/emergency fund, then $100k in strictly investments. Going to be some months yet but love to see others get there (even if you beat me there :P).

wing117

• Stubble
« Reply #355 on: October 13, 2013, 05:43:39 PM »
The 100K milestone seems so far yet it's getting close! Congrats! That's a huge win, icefr!

A couple small victories that I'm completely excited about:

I waited a month before posting this to make sure I could keep to it: My savings rate just skyrocketed from 44% to 54%! I'm officially living on less than one paycheck.

I'll have my car paid off next month (3 years early) which will bump my savings rate up again to 62%!

On January 1st 2014 I'll be able to max out my contributions immediately.

I also now have 12 months of expenses in investments/savings.

adam

• Bristles
« Reply #356 on: October 15, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
I'd been feeling like we were stuck in a rut, and not really getting very far with our debt payoff.  I was updating some stuff today and decided to see what exactly we've done in the last 12 month period and was pleasantly surprised.  $20,405 since last October paid off (not counting two mortgages).  It seems like maybe we are closer to being on track after all with an average of $1700/month going to principal.  Now I need to try and get that closer to $2500 or even $3000 and I'll be really happy!

And on top of that, zillow has been telling me the values of our two houses have been increasing (I'd really like to believe this, but still find it hard).  So our net worth has gone up to almost $60k.

AND we got our renter to sign up for another year and raised the rent from $1200 to $1300 without complaint (we kinda cut her a deal that first year).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:58:06 AM by adam »

Mr.Macinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #357 on: October 15, 2013, 11:11:49 AM »
We've kept the power off/down and saved over $100 this month. Last month is was $222, this month $101. Our house is electric, no gas. Pretty excited about that.

Mitch76

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #358 on: October 15, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »
Been reading MMM for about 2 weeks, started to make some changes in order to reach a short term goal of reaching £50k stashed by Xmas (got approx. £41k saved currently).

1). After talking about following a budget for years, we've finally started one, via YNAB. It's gonna be fascinating seeing where our cash goes each month, and ultimately deciding where it goes. Gonna use the envelope system.

2). Cancelled my PS4 preorder with a couple of games, saving myself £450.

3). Cancelled a kettlebell and Olympic lifting 2 day workshop in London next month, which with hotels, travelling and food probably would have cost ~£1000.

4). Started cooking all food from scratch, planning meals in advance, thus avoiding 'having to eat out' due to no food in the house.

5). Started cycling to work on the days I don't have to drop my toddler off at childcare, 2 to 3 days a week. I only live 2.5 miles from work, so no excuse really.

6). Have been extra vigilant in turning off lights, tv's etc. around the house when not in use. Have also changed energy provider to a cheaper provider.

7). Changed bank account, (first time since college, 15 years ago) to Santander 123, which gives cashback for all utility bills, plus got the Santander credit card, which gives cashback for diesel.

8). Have sold over £800 of unwanted stuff on eBay (old phones, iPods, ps3 games, watches).

I feel these are all positive first steps to financial independence. Can't wait to get there.

ozzage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #359 on: October 15, 2013, 03:12:11 PM »
Well done Mitch76. I wonder if you were with SSE? I'm afraid they're all going to raise their prices now...

The Santander 123 account (and c/c) are great. And 3% on up to 20%!! I find with YNAB (YNAB + MMM an absolute winning combination!) that I end up with a lot of money in my current account so it's the perfect home for it.

imbros

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #360 on: October 15, 2013, 03:50:53 PM »
- Sold my car last weekend (living 3-4 blocks from the office or working from home)
- Sold my old flip phone for a good price (but got a new smart one with an inexpensive prepaid plan. This might be my only luxury)

I expect to hit 6 digits in Income generating assets by the end of this year.

ScienceRules

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
I passed my PhD qualifying exam! Which is exciting itself, but I also get a $50 a month raise because of it. Yay!

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2013, 06:38:07 PM »
I passed my PhD qualifying exam! Which is exciting itself, but I also get a $50 a month raise because of it. Yay!

Hooray! As the child of two people with advanced degrees, and the sister of three others who are at various stages on their journey, this really is an excellent accomplishment. Good for you!

This is seriously my favorite thread in these forums. Yay for everyone!

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #363 on: October 17, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
I'm so excited I'm about to burst because I have no one IRL to tell.  Today I hit the $200K (in liquid assets) mark for the first time.  That's about 2months earlier than my spreadsheet projected and less than 2 years after hitting the 100k mark  :)

So let's see...$200K at a 4% SWR is $8000/yr income in retirement.  Which is about 30% of my annual expenses.  Just 70% more to go!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #364 on: October 17, 2013, 07:30:47 AM »
I'm so excited I'm about to burst because I have no one IRL to tell.  Today I hit the $200K (in liquid assets) mark for the first time.  That's about 2months earlier than my spreadsheet projected and less than 2 years after hitting the 100k mark  :)

So let's see...$200K at a 4% SWR is $8000/yr income in retirement.  Which is about 30% of my annual expenses.  Just 70% more to go!

Nice!  About 6 years or so to FI then?  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: October 17, 2013, 09:21:08 AM »

Nice!  About 6 years or so to FI then?  :D
Probably a closer to 8yrs.  I'm currently renting but expect to buy a house before FIRE.  So that will cut into the liquid assets a bit.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #366 on: October 17, 2013, 09:41:49 AM »
Probably a closer to 8yrs.  I'm currently renting but expect to buy a house before FIRE.  So that will cut into the liquid assets a bit.

You just aren't optimistic enough yet.  I bet my guess is closer than yours.  You can do it  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
I talked to my employer about our crappy 401k expense ratios and options and my questions got forwarded to the broker!  I'm not going to hold my breath, but at least the conversation got started :-)  (I've been putting this off and finally found my opening)

brighteye

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #368 on: October 18, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »
I paid off the final installment of my student loan and am now 100% debt free! Yay this feels goooood!
I hated the debt, although I was fortunate: the loan was interest free so I did a repayment once a year for the last 5 years and the amount was the same every time.
Now my savings rate will jump even higher to about 60%.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #369 on: October 18, 2013, 11:06:30 AM »
#1. TGIF

#2. I opened my first Vanguard account. I was limited with allocation choices bc of minimum investments being 3k for most and 1k for few. BUT soon I will be up to 3k and have more flexibility in my allocations.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #370 on: October 23, 2013, 02:08:16 PM »
I just got a job offer in London! That'll be a hit to the savings rate, but what a terrific opportunity!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: October 23, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »
I just got a job offer in London! That'll be a hit to the savings rate, but what a terrific opportunity!

Congrats!  Is that for after graduation?

avonlea

« Reply #372 on: October 23, 2013, 06:27:15 PM »

Yeah, no kidding!  Congratulations, grantmeaname!  Have you decided to accept?

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #373 on: October 23, 2013, 07:25:25 PM »
Congrats!  Is that for after graduation?
It's for this summer, but in public accounting interns don't really know enough to be very productive and so they only offer internships to people they're serious about hiring. So if everything goes well it comes with a job offer at the end!
Yeah, no kidding!  Congratulations, grantmeaname!  Have you decided to accept?
It took me three tenths of a second to make up my mind! A little less room to save in the budget when my cost of living doubles, maybe, but in the long term it's well worth it. And what fun!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #374 on: October 23, 2013, 07:38:42 PM »
Wow!!!!  That's international experience so early in your career.  Congratulations.  You will love it in London.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #375 on: October 23, 2013, 09:43:52 PM »
That's so awesome!

It took me three tenths of a second to make up my mind! A little less room to save in the budget when my cost of living doubles, maybe, but in the long term it's well worth it. And what fun!

Sure, but your savings rate will become ridiculous once you graduate and start making gobs of money, so a lower savings rate for a few months due to an opportunity like that is no big deal at all.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
I just wanted to do a celebration dance because my networth is over $10k and I only started saving when I got a job in January this year :D

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2013, 11:35:47 PM »
I just wanted to do a celebration dance because my networth is over $10k and I only started saving when I got a job in January this year :D

Well done.  It'll snowball before you know it.  :)

Silvie

• Stubble
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2013, 02:16:37 AM »

Sweet! I got a job offer in Barcelona. It's a temporary job for 6 months. I will probably be able to do some freelance translation work (my current job) on the side, so this should be good for my savings rate :)

avonlea

« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »

It took me three tenths of a second to make up my mind!

3/10 of a second longer than it would have taken me. ;)

That's so awesome!

...A little less room to save in the budget when my cost of living doubles, maybe, but in the long term it's well worth it. And what fun!

Sure, but your savings rate will become ridiculous once you graduate and start making gobs of money, so a lower savings rate for a few months due to an opportunity like that is no big deal at all.

+1

Have a blast in London, grantmeaname!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #380 on: October 25, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Hit $500k today.  Semi-millionaire woot woot

avonlea

« Reply #381 on: October 25, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
Hit $500k today.  Semi-millionaire woot woot

Wow, dragoncar!  Congrats!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #382 on: October 26, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »
Gave myself a haircut for the first time today and IT ROCKS. I like it longer so I did it with scissors too (although the standard for dudes is much lower than for chicks, not sure I would have passed that test)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #383 on: October 27, 2013, 04:35:28 PM »
I sold my last designer purse today.  I made $1,400 selling a pair of bags on CL. 

Used them maybe half a dozen times in the last 10 years? 

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: October 27, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »

Congrats x 1,000,000! Totally amazing opportunity! If you PM me with what firm/company, I'll put you in touch with my contacts there. So excited for you!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #385 on: October 29, 2013, 12:44:43 PM »
The position reclassification I was hoping for was approved and I got a $10,000 raise! So happy right now! Retro-active to October 1st.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: October 29, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »
Congrats Katie SSS!  Those student loans are G-O-N-E!!!

KatieSSS

• Bristles
  • "Because of your badassity, babe!" - My GoudaMan
« Reply #387 on: October 29, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »
Congrats Katie SSS!  Those student loans are G-O-N-E!!!

Exactly! This is the best part. The backpay I get for October should equal a serious payment towards those loans!

decibelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »
Great job, everyone!  I'd like to share that Watchmaker and I are two months into living the Mustachian lifestyle.  We have increased payments on our mortgage, car, and student loans.  In addition, we have cut down our food (restaurant + groceries) from $1400 down to $700 in September and October.  We still need a lot of work but this feels good.

avonlea

« Reply #389 on: November 01, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
Great job, everyone!  I'd like to share that Watchmaker and I are two months into living the Mustachian lifestyle.  We have increased payments on our mortgage, car, and student loans.  In addition, we have cut down our food (restaurant + groceries) from $1400 down to $700 in September and October.  We still need a lot of work but this feels good.

Those are some big changes. Way to go, decibelle and Watchmaker! 

onFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #390 on: November 02, 2013, 11:15:40 PM »
In the last 4 months we paid of the last $6000 of our car loan.  Every payday DH and I say "Happy Savings Day!" and in November this is starting to really be true.  Good times!

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #391 on: November 03, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
I feel like this!

ajmers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #392 on: November 05, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »
Called my car loan company to get the balance of my loan and it's only 5 more payments at the rate I've been paying. That will get me done almost 2 years ahead of schedule, and I'm actually thinking of just paying it all off this month and being debt-free!!

decibelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #393 on: November 05, 2013, 01:02:12 PM »

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: November 05, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »
The Hubs and I are index fund people as we got burned on a little IPO business in the '90s. But not long ago we invested some of the cash we had lying around in a 401k money market (happened when they changed TPAs and we were a little slow on the uptake) in a stock I've been Jonesing to buy for like 15 years. We bought it to hold it long term, of course, but it's still pretty cool to know that we own it. Buying that was way more exciting than a pair of shoes or something. And, it's not like I can post this as a FB status, so I'm sharing here.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »
So I'm super excited about this! I would start a real thread for it but since it actually happened last month I think I found these forums too late!

Last month I passed $0 net worth for the first time since high school! Yaaaay!!!! I've wanted to share that so much you have no idea. In the real world its pretty hard to share personal finances with others so I told my wife (who said "oh hum") and I told my sister, but thats the only ones I felt like i could share it with.

My wife and I have been clawing our way back from student debt. We still owe $40k but also have $40k in retirement accounts.

I am so excited for this to happen to me!!! I am less than $5,000 away now. The bulk of my negatives/positives are also student loan debt and a 401k.

My minor mustachian excitement for the week is that yesterday I bought a plane ticket for my boyfriend to fly up to see my family for Thanksgiving (I'll be driving up a few days earlier since I get more vacation days and that way we can bring our dog)... for $2.50. Woohoo rewards credit cards!!

Also, a few weeks ago we got a sweet bonus at work and I paid off my second student loan. Still have 5 (!) to go but I rolled what I was overpaying on the paid off loan into the next highest interest one, which means I'm now paying over $1,000 a month on that one and it will be gone by next December (but actually earlier, because I'll most likely get a bonus in February too and throw that at it). Getting closer...

Bruinguy

• Stubble
« Reply #396 on: November 07, 2013, 11:21:27 PM »
Just completed a trade (separate transactions) of my 10 year old SUV (16 mpg) for a 4 year old Prius (45 mpg), for only an additional $500 investment.  I'll be saving $200/mo. in gas, so I'll be "in the money" by the new year!

Thanks to the site for helping me wake up and realize my $320/mo. gas bill was not required spending!

bpobst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: November 09, 2013, 08:31:23 AM »
I turn 25 this month. Our goal was to have my car paid off by my 25th birthday and just make minor dents in my wife's student loans. Did not make much progress in the student loans, but are now set up to knock those out very quickly.

December 2012:
Car loan ~$15,000 (~6%)
Student Loan 1 ~$20,000  (0%, something to do with my father in law being in the Air Force)
Student Loan 2 ~$15,000 (~6%)
Roth IRA - $0
My 401(k) - ~$5,500
Cash - ~$3,000

What we did:
1. I reqeusted and received a transfer to a location where my wife could get a job in March. She had been working twenty hours a week at Petsmart...Now she has a full time Architecture job
2. Used windfall from 2011 taxes to create an emergency fund.
3. We were paying down my car as much as possible.
4. At some point around August we realized we did not need it and sold it. That is that large NW increase.
5. Held on to the extra cash and saved more until October and opened up two Roth IRAs for $6,000 or $3,000 for both of us.
6. Set up auto deposits for $300 a month for both of us into the Roth IRA going forward.
7. Are now putting a minimum of $1,500 towards the student loan #2. Plus any extra, which there should be.

November 2013:
Car loan is GONE
Student Loan 1 is at $18,100
Student Loan 2 is at $13,385
Roth IRA - $6,000
My 401(k) - $11,500
Emergency Fund - $3,000
Cash - $5,000 (temporarily high, I like to keep it around $3,000 so before the end of the month I will be putting the extra towards loans)

Your Net Worth
DATES                     ASSETS                 DEBTS          NET
December 2012   $8,658.71   -$49,652.35   -$40,993.64
January 2013           $9,412.62   -$47,886.17   -$38,473.55
February 2013           $9,714.07   -$49,822.31   -$40,108.24
March 2013           $11,045.20   -$48,605.19   -$37,559.99
April 2013                   $14,748.66   -$47,485.29   -$32,736.63
May 2013                   $15,444.46   -$46,775.57   -$31,331.11
June 2013           $16,733.84   -$48,274.20   -$31,540.36
July 2013                   $15,228.44   -$44,758.15   -$29,529.71
August 2013           $16,409.72   -$42,430.02   -$26,020.30
September 2013   $21,942.55   -$33,316.56   -$11,374.01
October 2013           $24,449.88   -$32,853.07   -$8,403.19
November 2013   $25,276.35   -$32,075.62   -$6,799.27

So this celebration is more just us having a great past twelve months. I should be back in January (or February depending on how much we end up spending on Christmas travel) to celebrate $0 net worth!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: November 09, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »
Congrats on all that great progress!  Everything is going in the right direction--and for you to be making all these positive changes at such a young age portends much wealth in your future!  Keep it going!

avonlea

« Reply #399 on: November 10, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
Just realized that we are actually saving 47% towards retirement instead of the 40% I had calculated when first determining our savings rate.  How did I forget the HSA contributions?  FI date is still the same since I had been using HSA contributions in those calculations.  But still...Yay! (knocking at wood that there will be no broken bones or ER visits)